Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What makes the movie special isnt that it goes places you dont expect, it's that it goes deeper into where you have already been

I'd like this sewn onto a sampler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I enjoyed watching this, but it's kind of like if The Shining petered out after the room 237 scene. It needed to be either more emotionally involving or way more bugnuts. One of my biggest issues was how much of the film the characters spent tripping out, which meant it was difficult to connect with them in terms of their actions and decisions.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I liked a lot of the "village as family" stuff - one of my favorite moments (outside of the Austin Powers line) was the mutual groan, and then the amiable laughter after the bit with the herring, which felt true to a loving group of people.

graventy posted:

Man, after reading the thread I feel like I gave Christian way too much sympathy during my first viewing.

The film loads things a little bit in his favor towards the beginning (though his first line is literally something like "I'm doing resin with the guys" before offering her emotional advice, presumably while stoned), and he's never really made into a villain, which kind of leads to the mixed catharsis at the end. On the one hand, hooray! She has a family and is now rid of her doofus manipulative deadbeat boyfriend. On the other hand, she just killed a guy for being a selfish moron on mushrooms. I like the idea that becoming a part of the commune is basically taking the easy way out, but I wish they'd done a better job of emphasizing their relative positions.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Which is probably why he lightened up so much when she said she wanted to come. Oh yes, please come, that way I probably won’t be burnt to death!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I was expecting someone to be cut open and stuffed with flowers while they were still alive, and also low-key hoping that Dani would be sacrificed, at which point she, as a spirit of nature, would wreak apocalyptic havoc on the commune, which wouldn't really fit the movie's themes but would've been fun to watch.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The horror elements also kind of didn't really do much for me. I liked the cliff scene, which reminded me a lot of the one in Songs from the Second Floor by way of, like, Lars von Trier, but the blood eagle was (besides being done better on Hannibal) just kind of...there? The only other bits I can recall are the guy getting bonked on the head and the face in the bathroom, and I guess the ending, but I wouldn't really call that scary.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Ape Agitator posted:

I took it as scholarly knowledge vs actually seeing it happen. From the night before, he definitely knew what it meant and had that tense "I'm about to watch something horrible on YouTube" hand-on-face but for real.

I read his attitude as assuming that they would be doing it in a way that was more like paying homage to the original tradition, rather than literally hurling their elders from a cliff. Too bad they didn't do it the Monty Python way, and chase them with sexy naked people.

Oh it's adorable. His garden of earthly delights painting is real good too, maybe Aster's next movie can end with a lion hydra. Or that pooping T-Rex.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 8, 2019

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Uh have you seen the movie? Thet had chasing people with naked people thing down

But not off a cliff!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He asks “an actual one” and gets the response “pretty darn actual”. I think it’s just not the sort of thing you can prepare for.

I suppose. I thought that segment, and the bit right after, was kind of off-kilter character-wise, but I also felt like I couldn't really get a read on him.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Midsommar is best enjoyed as a teutonic romcomumentary written by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, directed by Xavier Dolan, and filtered through the twisted mind of Shari Lewis.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It’s just like Oleanna!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I think a lot of people are taking some things about this movie very literally that aren’t meant to be

I mean, there's a lot about the characters and their relationship that's fairly vauge and left up to the audience to decide or assume, so I'm not surprised people feel very differently about their actions, but Aster does seem to be very clearly indicating that her actions and feelings at the end should inspire, at the very least, moral unease. It's functionally the same as the climax of Carrie, except Carrie draws very clear lines about how we should feel, which makes it a more overt tragedy. This is more like that article about dating Aziz Ansari, and you could argue that this film is just as critical towards women about how those kinds of situations are handled, though it's delivered via a plot device that's like one of those doofus twitter thought experiments about a white person saying the n-word to avert nuclear tragedy. What if that?? Huh??

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

not gonna lie you lost me there

What we get about their relationship is that Christian's primary thrust in life is to take passive control, and that Dani needs a therapist to properly deal with her PTSD and anxiety. The proper response to a situation like that is to break up, not to literally burn him alive, but the narrative goal of the film is to get her to that point, and there's a lot of odd justifying going on to get there without enough substance. I feel that more detail was needed to properly explore these "grey area" people, as I think, Aster referred to them, because without that detail they're not complex, they're just ciphers, and it puts the audience in the position of doing a lot of guesswork about these people and their motivations. I found it hard to really engage with her decision at the end, because I a: didn't feel one way or another about it and b: it was hard for me to tell what she was making her decision based on. There's this great, almost devil's advocate moral quandry in the beginning regarding responsibility on both sides that's functionally dissolved by the end, and that's frustrating.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

See I mostly agree with all this but everything from the Carrie comparison on in your previous post is what lost me

Carrie is very clear about how we should feel about Carrie, while this film is much more ambiguous (almost to a fault), and it kind of reminds me of the Aziz Ansari thing where the big question became the degree to which he deserved to be publicly shamed for being pushy, entitled, and horny. He's a stonewalling dickbag, but she's deeply codependent (your partner is not your therapist!) - the horror should arise from the painful irony that she's found a "place" that a: requires her to literally murder her way out of her past and b: she functionally takes advantage of, but because so much of the film is vague and ambiguous, it feels more like a clumsy thought experiment than a satisfyingly twisted moral conclusion (again, see also Oleanna, which is more successfully provocative but is also Mamet bending himself into a pretzel to make Anita Hill and Clarence Thomas equally villainous and sypathetic).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Per the script, re: her smile: it describes her as having surrendered to a “joy known only to the insane”, that she has “lost herself completely and is finally free”, and it’s “horrible and beautiful” as she is now queen and “no longer alone”

Also the script is very overt about Christian being emotionally disconnected. His eyes are often described as having “no warmth”.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I mean, just because it was gnarly doesn’t mean it wasn’t humorous.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Also the fact that he goes feet first like someone doing a lame high-dive jump is a great image.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Some people used to say that the anticipation of violence is more effective than the display of violence, and that one's imagination is far greater at conjuring horror than the sight of fake blood everywhere. Those people are, of course, wrong as evidenced by my screening's reaction to a woman's head being bashed open in broad daylight. Jesus Christ, the field of CG and Makeup sure has come a long way.

The heads made me so happy, that was some good stuff.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Snack Bitch posted:

So what I am reading, the real horror of Midsommer is Dani’s doctor’s failure to diagnose and treat chronic depression.

I mean, basically. In the first couple scenes I was like “wow she really needs more therapy to figure herself out”. If you can’t love yourself, how are you gonna love the death cult you’ve given yourself over to?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The whole thing with the thesis was so bizarre.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Midsommar: Who Needs Therapy When You Can Just Get High And Kill Your Boyfriend At IKEA

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

a new study bible! posted:

I can accept this. Although I personally struggle to think of a horror movie where all the characters are as checked out as they are in this film.

That was my biggest issue here in terms of drama and tension - all the stuff that matters happens in the first thirty (forty-five?) minutes, and then the rest of the movie is basically just them milling around.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
This movie should win an honorary Oscar for “weirdest discourse”.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Elderbean posted:

Ari really tapped into something real with Christain, he's such a genuine dirtbag college kid.

"Just smoked some resin at Mark's and now we're getting pizza" is a pretty incredible first line.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Franchescanado posted:

That doesn't negate what I said at all. I am talking about the actual way the movie is structured, with both concentrating on comedy and setting up characters in the first half, and then the second building into horror / violence. Hostel doesn't get into the torture or violence until the 2nd half of the film. The first half is them on vacation, loving around with locals, and then their friend going missing. Their friend going missing is the catalyst that pushes it into horror. Before that it's just a sex comedy.

And, really, both play with the impending threat of violence/death. But you're right, Hostel revels in it, Midsommar is almost clinical about it in parts.

Midsommar is also very, very sparse with its horror.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
This movie really should've just been Evening Primrose, but set in an IKEA.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Brigadoon is way more terrifying.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Hereditary without the horror is August Osage County, which is also horror.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

The movie sucked, though

Yes, but the play is incredible.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I found both this and Hereditary to be more foreboding-funny than scary, particularly with the ironically-jubilant endings and the giddy violence. The moments of horror are almost more like gleeful twists in a soap opera where you’re like “ohhhhh poo poo lmao”. I spent a lot of this movie grinning because it’s just fun to see things like the attestupa or the murder suicide done so fearlessly, and it’s kind of hard for me to imagine someone reeling with terror from those scenes (though, much like comedy, horror is different for everyone).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I think the black comedy turn at the end of the opening where he’s “trapped” with her does a lot of the damage in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I brought up Aziz earlier because Midsommar feels like a biting comment on that situation.