Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I feel like Lysithea would choke a bitch if someone called her Lizzie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yes, and it would be extremely funny.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I never made the clothes connection but always assumed it had been lavender.

E: Hapi calls her “Lys” and is fine, but tbf that’s Hapi

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ignatz: calls her Lysithea because he got customer service trained by his parents to always use proper names
Raphael: calls her Lysithea because he’s polite but occasionally calls her “sis” because her name sounds like it and she reminds him of his little sister
Marianne: calls her Lysithea to avoid drawing any unwanted attention to herself
Leonie: Calls her Lys because using full names takes too much time
Lorentz: Calls her Lysithea because nicknames are unbecoming of nobility
Hilda: Calls her Lys unless she’s about to ask for a favor
Claude: Calls her literally every name that is not Lysithea (Lyssie, Lizzie, Shortie, etc.)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

Ignatz: calls her Lysithea because he got customer service trained by his parents to always use proper names
Raphael: calls her Lysithea because he’s polite but occasionally calls her “sis” because her name sounds like it and she reminds him of his little sister
Marianne: calls her Lysithea to avoid drawing any unwanted attention to herself
Leonie: Calls her Lys because using full names takes too much time
Lorentz: Calls her Lysithea because nicknames are unbecoming of nobility
Hilda: Calls her Lys unless she’s about to ask for a favor
Claude: Calls her literally every name that is not Lysithea (Lyssie, Lizzie, Shortie, etc.)
Balthus: Called her Lys once, suffered the consequences, and now only refers to her as Lysithea.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
edelgard literally calls lysithea a "good girl," in their support with one another

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

General Morden posted:

edelgard literally calls lysithea a "good girl," in their support with one another

They’re blood sisters she’s allowed

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

General Morden posted:

Lysithea: I hope this doesn't awaken something in me...

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Prurient Squid posted:

OK, Time to play Fire Emblem: Three Houses again. Oh look, another month passed. Oh well, let's see how we go this time.

edit:

I'm actually enjoying it. I'm enjoying the pleasant part at the beginning, fishing and eating nice meals with people. I'm not in a hurry to get people killed even though that's more than likely with this being classic hard. I'm probably going to start playing this more often.

edit:

I enjoy the Byleth/Dedue emtionless silence bonding moments.

Time to play this again. Let's see, Classic Hard, I picked the Lions and I haven't touched it for four months. Let's Gooooooo!

e:

It occurs to me that this game might be a good opportunity to practice habit stacking that I learned in Atomic Habits. Perhaps after having a cup of tea with a character that could cue me into checking their goals.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 15, 2023

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Two years ago I attempted to create Punchardt. The very idea cracks me up every time

(Linhardt with a brawl focus to make him a war monk)

What was I thinking

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

eating only apples posted:

When I finish my SS run I'm going back to GD and I promise I'll use Lorenz. Honest.

This quote is from July 2021 and I can officially say I'm doing it

I'm using Lorenz

This guy has to redeem himself at some point. Surely he's actually a good person beneath all of... that. IDK I've literally never used him since picking Golden Deer when the game first came out. And even then I benched him. This IS the Lorenz run. I even thought about making him my Dancer but I just think he's better than that. Tragic that half the DLC classes are female-only, he would rock Valkyrie.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

I'm using Lorenz

This guy has to redeem himself at some point. Surely he's actually a good person beneath all of... that. IDK I've literally never used him since picking Golden Deer when the game first came out. And even then I benched him. This IS the Lorenz run. I even thought about making him my Dancer but I just think he's better than that. Tragic that half the DLC classes are female-only, he would rock Valkyrie.

McTimmy posted:

My first Lorenz went horsie line and had stupdendous DEF and HP until timeskip and he fell off the cliff faster than loving Ignatz.

My second Lorenx went Wyvern Lord and only being in the siege-support team remotely salvaged him.

My third Lorenz was a Bishop and had less SPD than a Great Knight Sylvain.

My fourth Lorenz is going through every single class with the highest growths possible and he's still turning out middling. Which is a great success.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

I'm using Lorenz

Statistically, he's fine, and goes really well into Dark Knight, his strengths are tailor-made for it.

Character-wise... honestly, he's a pretentious stuck-up prick, but his ideals aren't just for show. He genuinely believes he's doing the right thing, he genuinely believes it's for the best, he truly does want to do the best he can for his people, and he will put in the work and effort to prove that.

And if he sees hidden depths to a person, value that they are either ignorant of or burying out of shame or some other obligation, he will drag that value to the surface kicking and screaming if he has to, because this person has value and he refuses to let that go to waste and let this person squander their talents.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I went Dark Knight Lorenz in my GD run and he was indestructible. Like literally, took 0 damage from every attack. That was on normal mode though.

Personality-wise he does have some good A Supports, particularly Marianne's, but he never stops being Lorenz.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's worth developing an appreciation for Lorenz if you ever intend to play Three Hopes, in which he is one of the strongest characters. In Three Houses, his gameplay niche of having balanced offensive stats and good defenses isn't worth much, however; and it doesn't help him at all that he isn't even the best user of his own relic in his own house.

He's scientifically designed to give the worst first impression of any character in the game, in order for his hidden depths to be revealed with more impact. In the final tally, he's my choice for the title of Upper Class Twit of the Year.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Endorph posted:

i thought deer was kinda eh. it covers the slitherers stuff but claude has the least investment in the slitherers stuff, and the stuff to do with his homeland is super underbaked. and the final boss comes out of left field

No it comes out of a coffin thing :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I did Deers first and the final boss felt so natural to me I was shocked to hear it was route exclusive. They spend the whole game hyping up those dudes and the Crest system that ur nade perfect sense to me for Claude to fight the embodiment of all that. It also bookends the opening cutscene nicely.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Lorenz is like Virion from Awakening but if he actually got room to develop in the main story instead of appearing for one cutscene after he joins and then that's it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hopes Lorenz is a great time.

One of the best things that game did was draw him deeper in contrast with Claude and it was great for both of them.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I wish I liked Hopes. Just can't get into the gameplay.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think Lorenz' biggest issue is that he has to share the game with Ferdinand, who touches on most of the same broad strokes but also is Ferdinand.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ferdie is the best boy. He really is Ferdinand von Aegir.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think Lorenz' biggest issue is that he has to share the game with Ferdinand, who touches on most of the same broad strokes but also is Ferdinand.

True though three hopes does have one of the best missions ever with the both of them and Constance having a blast.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This is not an issue, this is a feature, because they get supports together so you get double the noble.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
This is my first in the series have really been enjoying it. Actually started over from right after you return to the cathedral and played “right”. Recruited Felix and he is just a monster, Lyisthea was picked up because a guide said she is a glass cannon but currently prefer Dorothea. Was a little annoyed that recruiting Sylvain would have required zero effort if I went female Byleth but makes sense for his character, honestly feel uneasy letting him be alone in the room with girl students

Bernadetta is my go to girl, though, and was my first S

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

mexi posted:

This is my first in the series have really been enjoying it. Actually started over from right after you return to the cathedral and played “right”. Recruited Felix and he is just a monster, Lyisthea was picked up because a guide said she is a glass cannon but currently prefer Dorothea. Was a little annoyed that recruiting Sylvain would have required zero effort if I went female Byleth but makes sense for his character, honestly feel uneasy letting him be alone in the room with girl students

Lysithea is indeed a monstrous glass cannon, but there's one extra note of hilarity to her power.

It's possible, if somewhat difficult, to push her Reason rank high enough to get the spell "Dark Spikes T" in time for the first encounter with The Death Knight. Y'know. The spell that is Super Effective against horse-mounted units.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah lysitihea's big advantage over dorothea isnt just stats its that she has the overpowered dark spells

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Counterpoint is that Dorothea is a better character (to me).

Also she can use Meteor, I guess.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

mexi posted:

Dorothea gets thunder access meaning she sits at 3 range earlier and easier than Lysithea but Lysithea, as mentioned, has dark magic spells which will chunk just about anything.

It's a trade off really, I think Lysithea on balance is better because Dark Flier lets her essentially ignore the weakness of her spell range, but Dorothea is just an absolutely outstanding support character because of Meteor.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I played three houses through 2 routes and I still don't know what is happening when multiple characters' faces flashes on the screen

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Natural 20 posted:

Dorothea gets thunder access meaning she sits at 3 range earlier and easier than Lysithea but Lysithea, as mentioned, has dark magic spells which will chunk just about anything.

It's a trade off really, I think Lysithea on balance is better because Dark Flier lets her essentially ignore the weakness of her spell range, but Dorothea is just an absolutely outstanding support character because of Meteor.

That's only if you have the DLC though, and a first player to the series might not have grabbed that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

I played three houses through 2 routes and I still don't know what is happening when multiple characters' faces flashes on the screen

Each character that shows is giving you +5% to hit.

Every time you attack and one of your allies is in weapon attack range of the enemy you're attacking, they provide a 5% hit bonus.

This is why Dancer Dorothea is so strong as a support unit, because she equips meteor, giving her 10 range and hangs out in the center of your army buffing everyone's hit rates and dancing.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
Also, early on when you don't have a ton of healing Dorothea's personal skill is pretty useful I find.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m surprised there aren't a bunch of 3Hlikes by now. I figured with its popularity there'd be at least a handful of clones already. what's going on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

indigi posted:

I’m surprised there aren't a bunch of 3Hlikes by now. I figured with its popularity there'd be at least a handful of clones already. what's going on
three houses isnt exactly the kind of game a random small studio can clone in a couple of years. and SRPGs as a whole generally arent that popular, fire emblem is more the exception than the norm.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

indigi posted:

I’ve heard that Midnight Suns is surprisingly close to 3H. I’m sure it’s only as enjoyable as your level of engagement with Marvel stuff though

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Natural 20 posted:

Each character that shows is giving you +5% to hit.

Every time you attack and one of your allies is in weapon attack range of the enemy you're attacking, they provide a 5% hit bonus.

This is why Dancer Dorothea is so strong as a support unit, because she equips meteor, giving her 10 range and hangs out in the center of your army buffing everyone's hit rates and dancing.

I still prefer dodge tank dancer Ferdinand.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AlternateNu posted:

I still prefer dodge tank dancer Ferdinand.

I never considered the Meteor range when choosing a dancer, Dot tends to be indispensable. Ferdie just doesn't get hit, with his personal ability and the dancer abilities you can just let guys go at him forever. Bit of a waste, but ime he can be lacklustre as an offensive unit or he can be a God. No middle ground.

This time I picked Flayn to dance because I really need an excuse to use her. I never have before and I don't like her as a character. And no one else really fit the mould. Got to fit Seteth in somewhere too, never actually used him even in BE:E.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I find it fairly difficult to use Flayn because of the lack of Physic. Rescue is nice at times and I've made use of it, but most of the time if I don't need it she just ends up being Annette without Rally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

ApplesandOranges posted:

I find it fairly difficult to use Flayn because of the lack of Physic. Rescue is nice at times and I've made use of it, but most of the time if I don't need it she just ends up being Annette without Rally.

This is where I'm at. Rescue has infrequent use. But I've never once used her, hence she's my dancer. And I almost gave that to Leonie (too powerful) or Petra (danced before). Will probably use Dorothea next time because I honestly don't love her as a character and always find better offensive mages when she's in my party.