Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay Intsys, you've one more chance. If this blows as hard as Fates did I'm back to ignoring the franchise and whining when Feh releases anything but Awakening units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

capitaldelendaest posted:

Personally, I liked the solution in Fates (I know, I know), where you could decide on the availability of grinding via the version you bought, or better, 3H where choosing Hard or up means you are suddenly given a maximum of 3 chances per week to grind, and there is an opportunity cost. The finite amount of exp in classic FE games was always a draw for me because you have to be strategic in who you level and because it meant I couldn't give in to my worst impulses and just sit around compulsively levelling without penalty. But having the option for some limited grinding for catch-up is also good!

Agreed about the tower in Sacred Stones not triggering the same issue, and I really couldn't say why. Edit: Actually I think it is because like was said above, the lack of skills or missable treasure in that dungeon (iirc) means it doesn't feel like you are missing out if you don't 100% the tower.

Fates was real dumb because in Conquest you could viciously screw yourself to the point of being literally unable to complete the game without grinding units through maps that were autoleveled such that the units they needed to kill for XP were almost completely invincible.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Bow Knight is basically strictly superior to sniper from a utility perspective.

The downside it has is that it doesn't have growths.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

not a bot posted:

I would have assumed Trickster to be bow/magic instead of a sword user. Also, poor Hubert.

Trickster has been fairly iconic as a Levin Sword class since Gangrel and Anna in Awakening.

Amppelix posted:

I was going to repeat the growths don't matter mantra, but let's actually compare them in this case.

Sniper gives 10% HP, 5% STR, 20% DEX, 10% LCK and 5% CHA. BK gives just 10% HP and 5% CHA, in addition to having negative 5% SPD.

So, the Dex growth hit here is the only one that you might actually feel in practise. It's going to be a 2 point difference over 10 levels (which is what you'll probably gain on average in your master class), which is not nothing. Dex, however, probably isn't a problem stat for your designated archers in the first place.

The Str and Spd have such small differences that it really doesn't matter, and who cares about luck.

Like to be clear I think that Bow knight is just strictly better than sniper and was mentioning the only downside.

Of the final classes on my GD maddening run I think everyone is going to end up as a Gremory/Wyvern Lord/Bow Knight because of how insane those classes are.

Oh apart from Leonie who I'm going to try an Astra/Lethality build on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I like having pegasus knight being female only because it means you can change every girl in Awakening into a Dark flier and then drive down to Grima singing "Sisters are doin' it for themselves" as loud as you can.

... Wait what do you mean nobody else did that?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Eimi posted:

Marianne is secretly your second reason caster not a healer.

There's no difference between these two roles.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I don't really feel like having a strength in an area really matters for anyone. If you optimise class time you can fit anyone into any class they really want to go to.

Which basically means you just end up with an army of Gremories, Wyvern Lords and Bow knights.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So running through VW maddening now and figured I'd dump out my thoughts on class progression on a maddening run for no other reason than I'm thinking about it right now.

On classes

My broad thought now is that there's a correct way for basically every physical character to level which is to get them into Wyvern Lord if Male, or Falcon Knight/Wyvern Lord if Female via some combination of Brigand/Archer/Pegasus Knight.

The reasoning for Wyvern Lord/Falcon Knight is clear. The game is not built to deal with them. Even Bow knights, their hard counters are dealt with easily by dismounting and eating the relatively slow attacks, before obliterating your opponent and cantoing away. The game just isn't built for fliers that have triggerless permanent galeforce. I would have put Raph through this but I kept him using fists just for the novelty, even though he's paying for it badly now.

I'm unsure at this point why Intsys thought giving mini galeforce to literally every flier was a good idea but it just makes them completely unstoppable. It's at the point where I consider building a Bow Knight, which is a genuinely excellent class and then seriously wonder why when I could just build another Wyvern Lord.

The skills are also equally obvious

Every lady that is built for physical damage appears to be built for speed and high dexterity which means that they can forgo archer and not drop accuracy, so they favour the Brigand / Peg knight route. Every guy wants Archer and Brigand for lack of anything else worthwhile.

On the caster side, things are equally reductive. If you're a male caster, you get benched because Dark Knights have no place in the game and if you're a female caster you go gremory by way of Mage and then either Pegasus Knight or Archer based on your needs. There might be a contest when Dark Flier releases but for now Gremory just blows every other caster out the water because of how utile it is as a combined caster.

Recruits

Sylvain - Auto recruited as FByleth, opens an early paralogue and gets a legendary weapon early, tremendous synergy early with Hilda.
Ingrid - Opens an early paralogue and gets a legendary weapon early. Notoriously strong growths.
Ashe - Opens an early paralogue, gets inherent locktouch
Dorothea - Excellent personal ability on maddening, She is best girl. (Also excellent Charm makes her a natural dancer)
Catherine - Thunderbrand is broken, she has crazy strength and speed.

I've recruited everyone else but these are the five that see play regularly. (Lindhardt is a permanent backpack for Lysithea)

Golden Deer

Active Use
Claude: Brigand->Archer->Wyvern Rider->Wyvern Master->Barabarossa. Obvious path.
Hilda: Brigand->Pegasus Knight->Wyvern Rider->Wyvern Lord. Obvious, discussed above.

Raphael: Brigand->Brawler->Grappler->War Master. Honestly I just wanted him to keep punching things, I don't think this worked very well though.

Lysithea: Mage->Archer->Pegasus Knight->Warlock->Bishop->Gremory. Very obvious path, Lysithea is tremendous because of how quickly she masters classes giving an absolutely insane skill layout.
Marianne: Priest->Mage->Bishop->Warlock->Gremory. This was more a product of laziness, Marianne doesn't do much attacking so I didn't see the purpose in taking her through Peg knight.

Leonie: Brigand->Pegasus Knight->Assassin->Swordmaster. This is my most experimental and weird build. Leonie has the highest Dex growth in the game and I dumped every Dex increase on her that I could. The idea is that if you get her dex to around 40, Lethality has a 10% chance of hitting per strike. Combine that with Astra and Leonie runs around a 40% chance of proccing lethality off a training sword, which means, with a dancer there's a 65% chance that she'll just delete a boss health bar. This can go much much farther as she gets more dex. But even if that doesn't work, she runs Swordmaster/Wo Dao crit build like nobody else in the game. I'm most pleased wit this because it runs against my conventional build wisdom but has paid off in spades.

Benched
Lorenz: Mage->Dark Mage->Dark Bishop->Bench. Lorenz hits the bench because he doesn't have the attack for Wyvern Lord and he's a dude so he has no place as a top level caster other than the absolutely awful Black Knight.
Ignatz: Archer->Mage->Warlock->Bench. Ignatz hits the bench because he's not got the physical attack to make Bow Knight any good and his spell attack doesn't do anything the girls don't already do better.

Recruits
Sylvain: Brigand->Archer->Wyvern Rider->Wyvern Lord - Obvious, described above.
Ashe: Brigand->Archer->Wyvern Rider->Wyvern Lord - Obvious, discussed above.
Ingrid: Brigand->Pegasus Knight->Wyvern Rider->Falcon Knight - Obvious, discussed above.
Catherine: Swordmaster->Brigand->Pegasus Knight->Assassin - I feel like I could take her into Falcon Knight eventually but thunderbrand is broken enough for her to stay on the ground happily.
Dorothea: Mage->Pegasus Knight->Dancer - She dances, she adds charm to her magic with levin sword for some sick damage.

The game's not been trivial this way but as soon as I started properly realising the builds I had, Maddening folded pretty hard and honest to god that's tremendously satisfying.

Key takeaways are that you want to complete Sothis' paralogue early for the Knowledge gem so characters can get through two intermediate classes and you want to abuse the hell out of Sylvain and Manuela's paralogues.

Sylvain's has a General that sits on a healing tile with 1 range that you can ping infinitely for full class XP. Manuela's has a 2 range character on a healing tile that you can ping infinitely with archers or characters with a longbow. This goes a long way to fixing characters who've fallen behind on class XP quickly.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 13, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
On maddening, if you have a sniper or bow knight, consider that they could be a wyvern with a bow instead.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Alois is garbage with nothing important to make him good.

Seteth joins in the best class in the game, after the timeskip, where you've made everyone into the best class in the game already.

His personal skill is pretty great but he's too late in the game and doesn't have all the masteries that your kids will have picked up in Phase 1.

Catherine and Shamir work because they get a tonne of extra levels in high growth classes and Catherine has Thunderbrand which is a completely fair and balanced item.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AradoBalanga posted:

As much as I like my dorks in Golden Deer, it's become very clear that their route got the shaft hard in terms of development. At least the group is fun and enjoyable, even if they got less than what the other houses got.

The Golden Deer *definitely* didn't get the shaft on their route.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
To me the most thematic way of ending CF satisfyingly without changing much would be to have the Slitherers betray Edelgard at the final battle with Rhea, catching the army in a vice.

And Rhea would just straight accept their help representing the extent of her fall on that route.

That or you need like 3 or 4 chapters of build to the Beagles taking on the Argathan Rail Gun.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQLN8gb0ts

I am both unreasonably proud and unreasonably embarrassed about making this.

In conclusion. Leonie is amazing and Astrathality is broken.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

FoolyCharged posted:

You didn't refute the point that she spends most of the game wanting to sleep with his dad though.

:thejoke:

FoolyCharged posted:

And added the extra point of "Where the hell is her nose in that confession jpg?"

Sounds like someone's asking for an Astrathality.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Amppelix posted:

I can't think of any enemy i would want to use the extremely overkill combination of astra and lethality on who doesn't just have immunity to lethality.

Literally any monstrous creature. She kills a 180 HP phase 3 monstrous creature in a hit.

Also any assassin type enemy because they usually run enough HP to survive a crit and are too fast to double.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm pretty sure anyone complaining about the DeathKnight already knows to apply Lysithea to the problem. It's tremendously frustrating when you talk about a problem you're having for people to just assume you're being a moron instead of genuine.

Enbarr VW is a nightmare until you know what's going on with the same turn reinforcements. If you clear the to the top right area of the map with your team and then spam end turn the reinforcements on the map will all spawn by around turn 10 and come at in you packs of 3. You brutally murder them and then proceed reinforcementless through the map. That way you have all the time in the world to set up killzones on the Death Knight and Hubert.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Numlock posted:

So as general advice, are there any students/teachers that make good pickups for Golden deer? The starting line up seems solid if a bit squishy.

I assume I can’t recruit house heads?

My last major question is when should I do the side story?

Golden Deer is probably the best house from a pickup standpoint. They start Lysithea and Leonie who are tremendously strong characters that you'd want to pick up early were you elsewehere.

Pickups for Golden Deer:

Dorothea is the highest priority in the game because of her personal skill that gives unlimited healing. It's a huge advantage for the earlygame and her strength persists later in the game when she gains Meteor, which is effectively an aura that increases everyone's hit.

You can recruit Catherine in Chapter 4 by raising her support with you. If you do this you get one of the most downright broken units in the game super early and because she starts in an advanced class she gets to benefit from a ludicrous growth rate for a much larger part of the game.

If you're F!Byleth you get Sylvain for free and he's very powerful early, if you're not, ideally recruit him before the mission with his brother. (Chapter 5) This way he gets his Lance of Ruin early which is super helpful.

You want to recruit Ingrid in Chapter 11. Because of a bug with her starting class she gets very powerful automatic level ups while she remains unrecruited. So you want to recruit her such that you unlock her paralogue at the very last moment and can get it done.

I think broadly these are the most important out of house pickups.

Also re: Three Houses chat.

From my perspective Conquest is probably the worst Fire Emblem game I've ever played. The map design is woeful in the lategame, the final chapter being the most egregious example of this and the catchup mechanics are non-existent, so once you've stopped levelling a character, they're hosed for the rest of the game.

imo play it to Chapter 9 and quit after you've done it because the game has nothing interesting to offer subsequently.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 27, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

McTimmy posted:

I thought that was because she (like every student) leveled off of enemy classes which had ridiculous growths.

I believe this is specific with Pegasus knight because enemy Pegasus knights get particularly insane growths.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Ingrid doesn't really have the trade off since she starts with the skills she needs to advance relatively easily.

Of course ideally you want to send her through brigand and archer first, which is certainly more difficult.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The note there is that Chapter 11 Ingrid has about 2 points of strength more than normal Ingrid would if you recruited her at 6.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Manatee Cannon posted:

that is assuming you left her in peg knight the whole time tho

That's fair, but I also think that's a trade off because then I could assume that she's not getting pegasus knight stat bonuses like speed instead and she'd end up a point of speed lower.

I think I can be persuaded on Chapter 6 Ingrid because that way she gets access to Sylvain's paralogue, which is a pretty huge deal since it gives a free class mastery for every character on it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hellioning posted:

Yes but what the hell else is Igantz going to do.

Sit in the dumpster where he belongs.

Of the Golden Deer you level ignatz and lorenz enough that they can heal RaD and then you dump them as hard as you can for your poaches.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
You put Dedue firmly in the dumpster because he's got nothing going for him. He's a defensive wall in a game that's got a huge focus on offense and has a negative growth in flying.

On top of that you lose him for multiple chapters no matter what, so you don't even need to raise him for RaD.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shadow225 posted:

Here are my current classes:
Leonie - Armor Knight (took forever to get her axe skill up)

Oh god no my poor Leonie.

Quickly, get her ranks of assassin / swordmaster!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
BUT 65 DEX GROWTH.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Amppelix posted:

someone has a cool unorthodox build for a character and your first reaction is "ew, no, make it go away"? for shame!

No build involving armour is cool.

Leonie as an unstoppable critting killing machine is cool.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
He held up for me through to RaD but got dropped because he just doesn't really compete with a lot of the recruits.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shadow225 posted:

I appreciate you peeps responding to me! I don't know if I have energy for all 4-5 campaigns unless there is a way to speed things up but this game is cool and interesting so I might!

If I consider this to be the best FE, what are some others worth playing?

Play Awakening.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
1 Leonie
2 Dorothea
3 Edelgard & Claude
5 Hilda & Sylvain
7 Lysithea
8 Constance
9 Hubert
10 Catherine & Shamir

Contrasted to my tier list from a few months ago.

Well Leonie unsurprisingly shot to the top after Golden Deer. Hilda and Sylvain did a bunch better after that playthrough too, as did Catherine.

I don't know why I rated Hubert so low the first time, when I was comparing him to others I found myself pretty hard pressed on people I liked more than him.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Epi Lepi posted:

Yuri's relic went to my dancer. Canto and +1 move helped them keep up with the rest which was a problem in my first playthrough where I actually used a dancer.

The other +move items I get I've given to my mages so they could keep up with all my mounted units. I'm impatient and hate when it takes forever for the units to cross the map so I use a lot of dark/holy/bow knights which I think goes against what other people tend to recommend. I haven't played maddening yet though so I don't really care that the mounted classes have less speed growth or whatever.

I gave my Leonie +2 mov so she could Astrathality more things.

It was the right call.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
In all seriousness though, if you've got full DLC you get 4(5?) sets of movement enhancement, +1(x2?) Boots, +2 Boots, March Ring and Yuri's relic.

+Move on a dancer is probably the highest priority and honestly Yuri's relic on Dancer Yuri is probably the most effective way of running a dancer in the game. Broadly his relic should be a lock on whoever you choose as a dancer because Dance->Canto is seriously ridiculous.

Your endgame Gremories, so Lysithea in particular will want either +1 Boots or +2 Boots because their item slot will usually be covered by a +range relic of some sort. Casters are broadly speaking the most effective units in the game hampered by low movement.

Your march ring is a bit of a wild card, but I'd favour it on a Wyvern lord who doesn't have a better equip. It pairs extemely well with canto movement and effectively going in and out with a Bow to pick off units.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Deltasquid posted:

So I did an AM run as my first playthrough and got a bit burned out by the end, but I've just started again with a fresh CF on hard and I'm enjoying it a lot more now I know what I'm doing.

I have a few questions:

- I understand Leonie can't be poached by getting her support with Byleth to rank B. I really kind of want to recruit her; should I invest in lances for her? I wasn't planning on poaching a lot of students but she was one I had set my sights on.
- Which DLC is worth it and how does the DLC work? Do I just buy the season pass or can/should I buy them individually? I don't have any particular interest in the grey wolves but the extra side story interests me and I would like to have some more choices on how to spend my time in the monastery. Don't care for outfits/cosmetics.
- I tire of the fishing, but near the end of my AM playthrough I had so little food to share with the students that I almost had to savescum fishing to get their supports up with one another. Is there a way to just... buy the foodstuff ingredients?
- What are exactly the differences between SS and VM? I'm tempted to do a CF run and an SS run so I don't have to do the first half of the game again with VM if the post-timeskip parts are going to be the same. I understand they're essentially identical, but does SS have things which don't appear in VM (like extra scenes with the monastery staff or the black eagles students?) or is VM literally everything SS has + the Golden Deer people? Depending on how content starved SS is, I might go through GD to just have the full experience instead.

1. Leonie - Yes, she is unquestionably one of the best students in the game and she has no weaknesses so she can slot in to almost any class.

2. The DLC is worth it imo, the first three waves aren't a lot to write home about, although one wave gives you the sauna building, but Cindered shadows is very good and worth your money and time.

3. Yes, you can buy food from the merchants in the plaza.

4. SS and VW are nearly identical. VW has scenes that are very different in the monastery, mostly revolving around Claude. VW includes two extra maps that aren't in SS. I found that playing SS on hard and VW on maddening was sufficiently different to be enjoyable

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The Argathans are just humans who discovered the magical power of Dubstep.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Re CF's ending stuff:

I feel like taking down the Siltherers could easily be as emotionally resonant as taking down Rhea. If we just transplant the VW ending to CF we have Edelgard having defeated the source of the crest system confronted in her final battle by avatars of the entire system itself trying to kill her, created entirely because she chose to ignore them in favour of Rhea.

But I also think that work could have been done with the Slitherer's switching sides at the climax of the war.

Wouldn't it be something if you're about to defeat Rhea and the Slitherers offer her a get out of jail card?

And in her utter fury at Edelgard she takes the deal representing her fall into insanity in, I think, a far better way than just deciding to randomly burn Fhirdiad for no tactical advantage.

Dunno, this is all probably just dumb fanfiction but what else is Fire Emblem for?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Whoever came up with Anna's paralogue should be fired.

Even on my second time through it's still a nightmare.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Amppelix posted:

While an annoying amount of questions are left unanswered when you do this, i think the game was intended to be a satisfactory experience when played through just once (and most people will definitely have done so.) And it is, if you ask me. The problems with the split aren't really apparent at all if you never play again, and i think that's very intentional.

Also what are you talking about, white clouds is where the monastery is still interesting every month. Part 2 is when it becomes a chore.

Having played White Clouds 3 times.

It's really really not worth repeating 3 times.

It was fun with the missions being different on Maddening, but the second Maddening run as the Blue Lions was pretty boring.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Just pair them in the DLC!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Edelgard would post calmly until it was the right time to start a flamewar and then she'd start the biggest flamewar ever seen in an internet forum, with a post so aggresive and opionated that everyone would jump in to debate it/attack her, and it would change the internet forever.

Now this.

This is a good post.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm pretty sure shop inventory is based off your professor rank, and you see them get the good stuff up because professor rank is the first thing anyone buys.

Some is time gated. I got A+ professor rank before the timeskip but Brave weapons didn't show until after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

It's all over! Finally!