Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just got this game, and I found out you can feed cats this morning. GOTY 2019-2020!!!

I've never played any FE game before, or even any kind of tactical RPG at all, so I don't have a clue what I'm doing, and I already got the literal actual 15 year old child in my group killed once, so evidently I'm a bad teacher, and irresponsible adult. (She's fine though, it was just a practice battle. Dodged a bullet there!)

I don't want to see any plot spoilers, so I skipped over the whole thread, but what do I need to know about the mechanics to be good?

(If you could just pick one thing to tell someone who knows absolutely nothing about the genre.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

eating only apples posted:

e: in retrospect I overestimated how new "new" was, ignore all of this, come back later, sorry

It was my first too. I regret playing Classic mode first time, it was a lot of stress for not a lot of gain - (not really a spoiler, about Divine Pulse) you get up to 13 Divine Pulses by the time the game gets hard, so almost never have to worry about death

Which house are you playing? There are paralogue missions that require you to recruit students, but the game is also kind of built for multiple playthroughs so don't worry if you miss anything.

Work on your professor level first, that means eating meals with students, choir practice, and fishing and gardening. Fishing doesn't use any time, it's wholly dependent on the bait you have. Professor level unlocks a lot more time to do things in the monastery, and also more battles per week, if you want.

In battle, check your students personal abilities, some of them have good ones you wanna consider (roster -> student -> X for details).

I don't wanna overwhelm you. Just take your time, X to get details on almost every menu, enjoy the game. Don't read the thread!

I chose Golden Deer because the leaders of the other two houses seemed more stand-offish. I've already recruited one guy from another house. Some flirty guy. I don't know why he agreed to join me, but he did. My next target is the woman with the cool eye tattoo. I don't really understand what I need to do to recruit, but I guess I raise some specific stats or something? I'll figure it out.

The game is a little goofy with how seriously it seems to take itself, but I say that in a good way. I'm liking it so far. I need to figure out the combat better though.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Amppelix posted:

with how many incredibly silly conversations there are, i don't feel like this is the case at all, but I guess you won't have seen any of them yet lol

Yeah, it's towing the line very finely. Like, the gatekeeper guy definitely seems purposely goofy. And I've seen some other examples too. I'm enjoying the dialogue a lot more than I expected.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Man, I got wrecked on the (2nd?) boss. The thief guy you corner in the red valley. It turns out there are additional attack options if you press ZR or ZL!

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

FoolyCharged posted:

Another secret:
Not all bosses move and that particular one also lacks any ranged weaponry whatsoever.

I actually figured that out early on. The problem was my ranged attackers' base attacks only did 0 to him, so I couldn't even cheese him from afar until I figured out how to use my special attacks.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm loving the support conversations on my first playthrough of this game.

It's hilarious though how characters will call each other out and insult each other, and then when the dialogue is finished, I get a "Doodly-doo! Support level increased to level C!" or whatever.

Is there any point to unlocking multiple classes on the same level for a character? Or am I better off just focusing them on one class until they can get to a higher level class?

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just finished the mission where we find out what happened to the missing students in the abandoned part of the monastery, and now the monastery music is so sad!

Leonie is killing it for me as a mounted unit. She's my MVP every other battle. Marianne still mostly is just a liability though, no matter how much I try to use her and level her up. I got Petra to join my house too, finally!

I'm loving this game!

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Oh yeah, how could I forget Lysithea! She wrecks people like it's nothing. I just have to be really cautious about her positioning since she's a glass cannon against physical units.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Since I'm still on my first playthrough, I don't really know where the game is going, but I don't think I'm going to recruit any more characters even if I get the chance to. I already have so many that some of them are basically permanently benched. (Lorenz, I don't know if you could be good or not, but you're an annoying prick.)

Is there any reason to recruit as many people as you can aside from seeing their stories develop? It feels at this point like it makes more sense to focus on a core group of about 12 so that I can realistically keep them all reasonably leveled up.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I've gotten through the first half of the game and I'm in the post-school part now. Wow, I didn't see any of the mid-game plot stuff coming at all!

Major spoiler: Claude grows a chinstrap beard when he gets older. lol

My units are mostly broken-strong at this point. Since it's my first game, I'm playing on normal difficulty, and everyone is significantly over-leveled. I might actually try the next difficulty up on my second playthrough.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Oh man, I just had my first battle where I had to murder one of my former students. And it was Ashe! Poor Ashe... They made it extra awful with that effect where the game freezes for a moment when you land the killing blow. This is going to be rough doing this for everyone else...

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

lol

I'm realizing now that a lot of my characters don't know the first thing about riding any sort of animal, but most of the high level classes require riding skills. Oops! Time to grind out horse and flying skills.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

galagazombie posted:

You could probably just make it so you couldn't move and dismount/remount on the same turn. That would fix the main issue of using the flying movement to get to archers and then dismounting you bow weakness away.

I never even thought to do that. That's a game changer!

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just beat my first playthrough of this game as Golden Deer!

I was definitely over-powered by the end. Paladin Hilda dodged like 95% of the enemy attacks made against her, and crit-countered almost every time, so she made an amazing character for baiting enemy units. Rafael was basically One-Punch Man. Lysithea could just cannon people with Miasma from like 5 tiles away. They were all ridiculous.

(Leonie was the first one to get powerful though, so she got MVP in maybe 1/4-1/3 of the battles. Either her stats are good, or Paladin is really good, or both, because she was the first one I made into a Paladin.)

Some of the characters story resolutions were...interesting...

Flayn's resolution made no sense. It said she disappeared for a while, and then came back? I never got an explanation about what was so special about her blood. I didn't really understand what her ending was about at all.

Petra married Ignatz!? Ok... I guess Ignatz did want to see foreign lands.

Hilda outright proposed to Lorenz in their last support conversation, but then nothing about that was addressed in either of their endings. Instead, Hilda and Marianne were all best-buds for life and Lorenz only got involved in politics.

Silvain's ending was the funniest. He didn't have high support with anyone else since he was limited from the start as one of the non-house characters. But I loved the line about how his name ended up being used as a description of a cheating husband in all of Fodlan. lol

I'm guessing that there must be a bunch of different possibilities for how the endings play out based on what support levels characters get with each other, and what combination of characters you have at the end. I'm going to try a Faerghus playthrough next.

If I do a New+ game, is it going to be too easy if I don't do at least hard difficulty?

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Terper posted:

This is easy enough to figure out from just normal monastery conversations with her and Seteth and her supports. She's Saint Cethleann.

I thought as much, especially from her highest support conversation with Ignatz, but it was weird that it was never explicitly spelled out for me. I don't think I ever got her support to A with Seteth though, ironically, so maybe that's why I missed it.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just found out that students sometimes ask to join your house on their own accord. I'm playing a Blue Lions game, and Bernie just randomly asked to join my house. Maybe it's because I got my support level high enough?

It's perfect though because I wanted her to have a second bow-focused character. Her B-level support conversation was depressing though. Her family is loving abusive.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just finished the Battle of the Lion and the Eagle in my second playthrough as Blue Lion house.

It was definitely the right decision to go with Hard difficulty for a New Game +. Even with the difficulty up, I think I'm still having an easier time than I did on my first playthrough just because I understand the mechanics better, not to mention things like having more activity points right from the beginning of the game. (I raised my teacher level to A right from the start.)

I actually somehow didn't realize that archers have extra range on my most playthrough, probably partly because I mostly attacked enemies by choosing my units and then clicking on the enemy unit, instead of positioning my unit and then choosing attack. (Probably from all of the time I've spent playing Civilization games) The extra range is crazy useful, and you get even more if you use curved shot or deadeye. I literally did not notice that I had all of this range at my disposal on my first playthrough.

It's also really cool how some of the overall story stuff makes more sense now that I have different students whose stories I'm seeing. Like I didn't really understand who Lonato was in my first playthrough because I didn't have Ashe in my house. And the whole Duscur situation actually makes sense now, whereas on my first playthrough as Golden Deer, I was kind of like, Duscur what?

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

lunar detritus posted:

I'm surprised you didn't have more problems beating the game considering how important positioning is for avoiding getting units killed.

I did figure it out partway through the first playthrough, and it was because sometimes my archers who also had melee weapons would default to using those when I did this. I still somehow missed out on the range +1 stat that Archers have though, and I consistently put them one tile away from enemy units in order to attack, right up through the end of the game I think.

Inu fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 27, 2020

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Have some people figured out how to hack this game?

I bought a random sword I hadn't seen before from one of those online visitors you get in the monastery if you have that turned on. It's called a Viskam. It has infinite durability, and it is a magic sword like the Levin that can attack opponents up to nine (9!) tiles away. Also, the description for it is just the description for a leather shield.

I looked it up online and it also looks like it's the name for the turrets that appear as enemies in one of the last chapters (at least in Golden Deer, I don't know about the other stories).

This thing is so broken with Lysithea, who I had been training in swordsmanship anyway, I think I'm going to have to not use it or the game will get too easy.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

God, Blue Lions is such a downer playthrough compared to Golden Deer. I'm only just past the timeskip, but it just doesn't let up with the angst. Thank god for Sylvain.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Last Celebration posted:

I remember in one of the post-release interviews that the devs said they deliberately wrote Hilda’s super strong brother that was singlehandedly keeping the Almyrans at bay to never appear because it was more realistic not to encounter every super strong guy ever even across four routes. It’s a mentality I appreciate a lot, thinking about it, even if I am super curious about guys like Count Bergliez and Holst.

I think that's a really smart choice since stuff like that makes the world feel bigger. I think it also makes him more appealing to leave it to the player's imagination. No matter how he was presented, he might have been a disappointment if he had actually appeared.

I just finished my second playthrough, a new+ playthrough of Blue Lions. I think it definitely had a more solid overall story than the Golden Deer route, which felt like it totally changed focus 3/4 of the way through, but I still like a lot of the characters in Golden Deer better.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm playing through Black Eagles now, and I recruited Lysithea, and her support conversations with Edelgard, as well as Edelgard's with Byleth have been enlightening.

I like how I'm getting a very different perspective on Edelgard and her motives then I got when playing through either of the other two routes. (I'm still in the month of the school's battle of the eagle and lion, so I'm pretty sure there are going to be some other revelations coming my way.)

It's all especially interesting since the route I played before this was Blue Lions, so I learned a lot about Edelgard from Dimitri's perspective, and already this early in the Black Eagles run, I've learned some new things about Edelgard that make her appear very different than she did in Blue Lions.

Also, Hubert is CREEPY

Also, the dynamic with the house leader and second-in-command is funny in retrospect.

Dedue: I will be his majesty's shield.

Hubert: I will pave a path of blood for Lady Edelgard.

Hilda: lol, I hate getting sweaty!

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

It's my third playthrough, and I only just figured out how to equip the dancer class. I always changed classes immediately after taking exams in previous playthroughs, so I never payed any attention to how to switch classes outside of taking exams. Whoops!

It's a pretty amazing class for making a powerful mage with little movement into an even more dangerous character!

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Genovera posted:

Do you mean that you're dancing the powerful mage, or turning the mage into a dancer to give them 2 more movement? Dancer is amazing, but I would avoid making a powerful offensive mage your dancer because dance is such a powerful action that it is almost always the best choice. It'll let you use one of your strongest units twice. They'll also miss out on getting extra magic uses, tomefaire, or canto depending on which class they would have been.

I'm a big fan of turning the dancer into a sword-using dodge tank because of the sword avoid +20 that dancers get. This means they can dance someone, and be left in range of enemies to tank them on enemy phase. Ferdinand is the best candidate because of his personal skill, which gives +15 hit/avoid when at full health (which is easy to stay at since he dodges everything). My Ferdinands were essentially unhittable even on maddening, except by spear users with swordbreaker. Plus he was pretty good at killing stuff in retaliation thanks to his wo dao+ and good speed.

Here he is murdering an axe guy on ch12:
https://twitter.com/Genovera_SA/status/1181637680020328448

No, I made Dorothea a dancer. I recruited Lysithea, so I was mostly thinking of her when I mentioned giving her the extra movement and attacks.

There was actually a surprise for me when I got to the dance competition. That wily Claude is always holding his cards close to the chest!
https://twitter.com/Akinomakinomin1/status/1295341834114199553?s=20

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Rimusutera posted:

Speaking of Dark Flier I wish all the classes had more slots for skills and that one actually had Dark Tomefaire. Honestly wish the DLC classes were just in from the beginning and they were better arranged and balanced and there were no genderlocks or just it was better implemented yadda yadda I could go on for a while.

I finished the DLC quest before my current playthrough, so I'm using the DLC classes and characters for the first time, and yeah, the classes are pretty useful. Having more mobile mages alone is super useful, but I've also been getting use out of the warrior monk since so many fighting classes can't use magic, even if the original character has a decent spell list.

Actually, is there anywhere in game that tells you which classes can and can't use magic? I've gotten nasty surprises a couple of times when I changed a character into a class only to find out in my next battle that they could no longer use any of their spells.

I'm finding stat growth to be kind of opaque too. I had Hapi go up through magic classes until making her a valkyrie, and for some reason she seems to have much lower magic stats than Lysithea, Hubert, and Lindhart. Those three can usually one-shot armored units, but Hapi usually only does like 1/2-2/3 of a health bar of damage. Her mobility is still useful, but her not being able to finish off the types of units I expect her to finish off is annoying.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just finished my Crimson Flower play through. This may have been my favorite in terms of the overall story, because Rhea has creeped me out since I first played the game in a Verdant Wind playthrough, and then again in my Azure Moon playthrough. I'm going to try Silver Snow now, so I'll see if that route gives new insights and makes me change my mind about her though.

Caspar and Lindhart got paired up at the end of the game for me, and their story sounds like some sort of road-trip, buddy-movie comedy.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm in my fourth playthrough, and one mechanic I still haven't figured out is the yields in the greenhouse. What controls whether you get one two or three points? Sometimes cultivating increases the points, but sometimes even the most expensive option results in no change.

I'm doing this playthrough in Japanese since I've seen the game three times already. It's interesting how some of the lines are slightly different than they were in English. Almyra is "Parumira" in Japanese. I'm not sure why the translator decided to forgo the "P" in the translation. Maybe because it's named after a real place and they didn't want to offend anyone?

Also, Bernadetta's Japanese voice is ridiculously high-pitched and squeaky.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Thanks for the replies about gardening. That's...way more complicated than it seems like it should be.

I just got to the point in my second Black Eagles playthrough where I refused Edelgard. After having just played through her story, it made me feel really bad. Rhea better not let me down!

Is it possible to recruit Hilda on a Black Eagles playthrough? I just noticed from my last two playthroughs that I've picked up lost items that I remember belong to her. I haven't had the option to recruit her though. I know that I've never picked up lost items for house leaders from the other houses in any of my playthroughs, nor anything for Dedue outside of Blue Lions and Hubert outside of Black Eagles.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

chiasaur11 posted:

That feels like a full on Arrested Developer narrator cue right there.

Rhea did, in fact, let everyone down.[/spoiler

As a note, the ending changes if you [spoiler]S rank Rhea.
So, if you want the full Silver Snow experience... that's a thing.

Is there some unique mechanic that lets you miss getting her up to support A? I've got a message saying that I missed an opportunity to deepen our relationship, which I don't recall ever seeing with any other character.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

AlternateNu posted:

Holy balls, map 3 with the spellbreaker key. :psyduck:

That was like an hour and a half of my life down the drain because you can't do tactics when you don't have all the info. Constantly respawning puppets and mando key requirements that just dump your movement into the gutter for no discernible reason.

I can't imagine that map taking less than 2 - 3 hours on an initial run even assuming you do everything right.

I really didn't like that map. Like you said, all the enemies popping in just felt like a kind of unfair challenge.

There were some interesting maps in the DLC though. It felt like they were a little more creative with map design. There's one that is kind of a chase that was pretty cool, even if it was still kind of stressful.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just finished my last route, Silver Snow.

Wow, that was a bizarre twist in the last chapter. That's the last time I ever help Rhea with anything ever again.

I still think Crimson Flower is the best route.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I think I like Crimson Flower best just because I was sold on the church being evil and controlling Fodlan for their own purposes pretty much from my first playthrough. Edelgard may not exactly be a people's hero, but she is the only one who actually attempts to overthrow the system in place in Fodlan in some meaningful way.

That was my biggest disappointment with Verdant Wind. Claude is probably my favorite house leader, but the story he is in makes it feel like he's a sidekick. This was my first route, and when I first played the game, I expected Clause to overthrow the church as part of his mission to bring change to Fodlan. Instead, he just works with (for?) them and then opens up the borders in a post-game, text-only insert. I think he had the most potential as an interesting character, but his route honestly would be the same if he weren't even there. His personal motivations don't drive the story like they do in Edelgard's route or Dimitri's route.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Does the game ever make it explicit whether or not everyone knows that Rhea is essentially immortal? She seems to be blending in to the society around her, and while everyone respects her as a leader of the church, it's never mentioned that she is like a god, or anything like that. (Which is something you think people would mention if it were out in the open.)

I always assumed that she would periodically retire, and then wait a number of years, and then come back with a new identity, but I don't feel like it was made explicit one way or the other in the game.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm playing Verdant Wind for the second time (new+) and this is definitely my favorite cast. There are some characters I like in all of the houses, but I feel like this is the house whose personalities most naturally complement each other and gel together over the course of the game.

I'm also going to try an experiment and see if I can get Lysithea's horse riding up high enough to make her a Valkyrie before the game ends. (I wish I had thought of it sooner.)

She already has the staff that extends her magic range from Lorenz's paralogue, and she got her reason skill high enough to get another range +1, and I just noticed that the Valkyrie also gets range +1 for reason magic.

It might be a little late in this playthrough to do any major experiments--I'm still in the beginning of the post-time skip, but so many characters have skills that are still at E--but I think in my next playthrough, I want to try some much more experimental builds.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Yeah, I've had two games where I had Linhardt, and I'm on my third one with him now, and it's always kind of like, well what do I do with him once he's mastered priest, mage, bishop, AND warlock? I've never actually planned ahead with riding and lances and gotten him into either dark knight or holy knight. I think last playthrough I just gave him a movement ring and left him in Warlock. He did well enough with that.

I think next playthrough I have him, I'm going to train him in punching so that he can become a war monk. It'll make his supports with Caspar funnier if nothing else.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

eating only apples posted:

It's an absolute travesty that he can't be a gremory. Punchardt sounds really fun though. His dad could never

It would really fit his personality too if he could choose female-only classes.

"Linhardt, you can't be a gremory. Only women can do that."

"I'm interested in doing it and I don't care what any of you think about that."

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I've actually never tried Dark Knight until this game. I got Lorenz into it in the last chapter.

I think I always avoided it because I saw that I needed riding AND lances on units that would not be using either of those things for most of the game assuming I went the typical monk -> mage/priest -> warlock/bishop route.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Danaru posted:

I made this and I forgot why but I wanted to share it

I was trying to think of who they could be talking to, and Lorenz immediately came to mind.

...except I can't imagine Ralph actually telling anyone to shut the gently caress up. Even Lorenz.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I recruited Balthazar on my current Verdant Wind playthrough, and...he's really into older women.

Why in the world didn't they give him any supports with Manuela?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Amppelix posted:

you recruited who

Whoops!

I've also been playing in Japanese on this playthrough. *Balthus.* I forgot his name is different in Japanese than English.