Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Wait surely no one complains about space nos. Nos saving our heroes is a pillar of the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Finally saw this. As expected even dumber than every movie before it.

The only redeeming thing was Jason Momoa hamming it up. And I guess with Diesel apparently being pissed about it (i.e. Momoa stealing the limelight), there's probably something going to be done about that in the sequel.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watched on digital and Fast X is more Fast 8 and than 9.

The problem I see is mainly that this shouldn’t be two films. It’s way too padded out with really none of the family having anything to do after the first 20 minutes. Jacob gets a cool car but that’s about it. So we are just stuck with Dom and Dante for 2 hours basically which just isn’t what gives fast and furious it’s magic.

Fast 9 is very silly but all of the family are given more meaningful action and then some of the highlights. It’s Tej and Roman in the space car, not Dom. In this one they just do nothing after Rome. Han doesn’t even get any comedy like them.

Also just killing agency soldiers is kind of weird now that they are car avengers.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Two films? It's gonna be three. Fast X, Fast X part 2, Fast X part 3. Just continuing the absolute nonsense that is the F&F naming scheme.

My prediction: Paul Walker returns in part 2 post credits, and is fully in part 3.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fast X 2: Family United

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

stratdax posted:

Two films? It's gonna be three. Fast X, Fast X part 2, Fast X part 3. Just continuing the absolute nonsense that is the F&F naming scheme.

My prediction: Paul Walker returns in part 2 post credits, and is fully in part 3.

It worked for the other FF, Final Fantasy.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I hope Fast X-II they ditch the cars and use costumes for their powers

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ilmucche posted:

when did the crew start just murdering people?
I'm gonna say 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THvqw-QkI0U

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

stratdax posted:

Fast XXX: the Handbraketurn of Xander Cage

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Fast XXX: the Handbraketurn of Xander Cage

That's how it's going to end. Dom has to drive into a supercollider to save the universe and he wakes up as Xander Cage.

Actually that's nonsense. He would isekai himself into the Pitch Black universe, and thus begins the Chronicles of RIddick.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Alien threats is the next evolution. Riddick tie in makes sense.

Thinking on it some, I think I’m mixed on Mamoa in this one. There was probably a bit too much Dante. Sometimes he’s wild and whacky evil in a fun way like the street race, but other times he goes a bit far with like “you hit me with a helicopter, ouch!” And such. The films usually take themselves seriously even in their ridiculous stunts and plots. So this feels a bit marvel quippy.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The scene where he’s painting his nails with the two guys he kidnapped went a little far.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Riven posted:

The scene where he’s painting his nails with the two guys he kidnapped went a little far.

He's actually painting their toenails. Well, their corpses' toenails. So... even further than too far, I guess.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 16, 2023

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah I was trying to avoid that spoiler with my phrasing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Riven posted:

Yeah I was trying to avoid that spoiler with my phrasing.

Sorry, fixed it to put spoilers in place.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah that’s one of those scenes also where it just feels like padding for film length.

Hopefully fast x:2 is more focused and gives everyone something to do.

On a positive note, a car rocket jumping is just fantastic film making.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ilmucche posted:

when did the crew start just murdering people? they shot up a bunch of $country military and now dom is throwing dudes into what looks like a bottomless pit like he's neo in the matrix

tyresse was ejecting people from his car seat all the way back in 2, they prob didn't survive that

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Riven posted:

checkplease posted:

Yeah that’s one of those scenes also where it just feels like padding for film length.

On the How Did This Get Made podcast episode for Fast X, June put up the idea that they had take his character to the next level, to show he's a true psychopath, because that's the only way you can have an effeminate character in the Fast universe. Probably just padding, but it is funny how completely different his character is from every other stoic masculine hunk of flesh.

Except for 2 Bi 2 Curious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2PqynUel2E

sim fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 16, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’ve seen lots of talk about Hobbs returning but I seem to have missed that Gisele came back too. I figured they would bring Gadot back and she’d want to coke back since WW3 was cancelled.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’ve seen lots of talk about Hobbs returning but I seem to have missed that Gisele came back too. I figured they would bring Gadot back and she’d want to coke back since WW3 was cancelled.

Accurate typo.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Combat Pretzel posted:

Finally saw this. As expected even dumber than every movie before it.

The only redeeming thing was Jason Momoa hamming it up. And I guess with Diesel apparently being pissed about it (i.e. Momoa stealing the limelight), there's probably something going to be done about that in the sequel.

Is Vin Diesel actually upset? I hadn't heard that but also

checkplease posted:

Alien threats is the next evolution. Riddick tie in makes sense.

Thinking on it some, I think I’m mixed on Mamoa in this one. There was probably a bit too much Dante. Sometimes he’s wild and whacky evil in a fun way like the street race, but other times he goes a bit far with like “you hit me with a helicopter, ouch!” And such. The films usually take themselves seriously even in their ridiculous stunts and plots. So this feels a bit marvel quippy.

I mean, it's part of the story that his brain was broken by the stunt at the end of Fast Five and now he's obsessed with the series. To me he seemed less Marvel and more Daffy Duck.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Seemed more like the Joker than anything from Marvel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hand Knit posted:

Is Vin Diesel actually upset? I hadn't heard that but also

IIRC Justin Lin walked away from directing Fast X in the middle of production for that reason but I forget if that was for real confirmed or just heavily implied given the more publicized eago war between Diesel and the Rock and the Rock exiting the franchise too.*

*Black Adam's "success" though now IIRC he's talking about crawling back to do another Hobbs and Shaw lol.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Good movies in this series: 1, then 5 to 8

Bad movies in the series: everything else

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You don't like tokyo drift???

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Han is a likeable character but I don't think it's otherwise a very interesting movie

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Tokyo Drift is at least fun which I can’t say for 8

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Tokyo Drift had the best car in the series so motherfuck the naysayers

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

2 fast 2 furious is an excellent buddy cop car movie

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rewatching 5. I just realized that unhinged psycho Dom is what the recent movies have been missing

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Rewatching 5. I just realized that unhinged psycho Dom is what the recent movies have been missing

My favorite psycho Dom was "You think this is a street fight? It is." and then he finished it off with "the street always win".

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Going ape poo poo on Vince for putting Mia in trouble. What happened to that guy

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Didn't Vince die in 5?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

Didn't Vince die in 5?

Yes.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

WhyteRyce posted:

Going ape poo poo on Vince for putting Mia in trouble. What happened to that guy

I think he meant more Dom's ego and narcissism that you could see at time in the first movie. Like his first line in the franchise was "STOP IT. YOU'RE EMBARRASSING ME." when Vince picked a fight with Brian at the sandwitch shop at the beginning of the first film. He also got into a big shouting match with Vince over his pretty much instant trust in Brian too. That had pretty much disappeared by the sixth movie. Obviously what happened was Vin's actual ego made him decide that his character can't be protrayed as anything short of perfect so he had ot axed.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe he and Elena will appear in the final movie and kill Dante.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The MSJ posted:

Jesse and pizza boy will kill him at the sandwich shop with the crap tuna

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's very funny to think about how the first movie ends in the epic car jump that then proceeds to completely wreck the car and compare it to what Dom does with his car in X.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

muscles like this! posted:

It's very funny to think about how the first movie ends in the epic car jump that then proceeds to completely wreck the car and compare it to what Dom does with his car in X.

Level 1 Equipment vs Level 50 Equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The MSJ posted:

Nah, not the final movie. They'll show up as a couple who are undead cyborgs here to reclaim Little Brian from Dom and Letty with their new boss, Brian who will be played by an AI chatbot puppeting the corpse of Paul Walker.