Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Skex posted:

Am I the only one thinking that Gillibrand was auditioning for Bernie's running mate?

I thought the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

Nairbo posted:

Why are Reddit nerds saying Pete did well? I thought he gave a completely embarassing answer on the civil rights issue question and didn't do particularly well throughout the rest of it either.

Cause he talk gud. But seriously, he is a smooth talker, it's just that his policies are nebulous so he can kind of say anything he wants.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

El Nam posted:

Cause he talk gud. But seriously, he is a smooth talker, it's just that his policies are nebulous so he can kind of say anything he wants.

I consider myself a political nerd and I don't get it. His only good thing was the religious hypocrisy statement.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Biden's first presidential campaign was in 1988, right?

Imagine it's 2051 or something and we're all still listening to old Pete Buttigieg ramble on about why he should be president.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/1144429691299909633

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bernie didn't do great but he didn't do poorly, and with the debate moderators being very obviously out to gently caress with him he did fine. The real losers tonight are biden and everyone else. Harris did great, she's probably going to see a pretty big uptake in support from tonight.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Shut the huck up.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Bernie didn't do great but he didn't do poorly, and with the debate moderators being very obviously out to gently caress with him he did fine. The real losers tonight are biden and everyone else. Harris did great, she's probably going to see a pretty big uptake in support from tonight.

Alternatively she becomes Gilli 2.0 for knifing Biden over busing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Majorian posted:

Saying "M4A means abortions for all" was good.

No. It was bad because the states could just make abortion illegal, like recently. The question was about what would you do if the Supreme Court overturned Roe vs Wade.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

the gently caress is popsicle recess

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

what the gently caress are you talking about sir

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Uncle Wemus posted:

the gently caress is popsicle recess

He can't think of anything outside of food metaphors. Please don't mock his condition.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The right is getting better at comedy and it's making lefties nervous

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

punk rebel ecks posted:

No. It was bad because the states could just make abortion illegal, like recently. The question was about what would you do if the Supreme Court overturned Roe vs Wade.

No one had an answer for that question, though. Everyone dodged. His dodge wasn't any worse than anyone else's imo.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1144444107382652928?s=21

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

I love that she was so proud of that statement that she wanted it written down. She is pulling love from our psyches!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Delthalaz posted:

Michigan, Hawaii and Rhode Island!

Proud of my dumb mitten state for loving crystal lady! :patriot:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Eiba posted:

Imagine it's 2051 or something and we're all still listening to old Pete Buttigieg ramble on about why he should be president.

Let's see if Pete can make it out of South Bend first.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Pete getting big hits in Mississippi and Alabama seems like an uncanny fit.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Eiba posted:

gently caress he's been running for president since before the entire millennial generation was born or a least only a few months old

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/10163024671?s=17

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ershalim posted:

I love that she was so proud of that statement that she wanted it written down. She is pulling love from our psyches!

https://twitter.com/jbview/status/1144459300875538433

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Kucinich with the galaxy-brained take:

https://twitter.com/Dennis_Kucinich/status/1144447887088267264

literally going "Stick to SportsNon-racial Politics!"

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

punk rebel ecks posted:

Let's be honest, Bernie hosed up that abortion question HARD.

His answer was less than ideal but it was a bullshit question. If the Supreme Court has struck down Roe v. Wade theres virtually nothing the feds will be able to do to bring it back. Any legislation to try and force it on the states would also be struck down.

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 28, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I missed the majority of the debate, but it sounds like Biden got hammered out there. It's really funny because his VP debates feel like they were both huge wins. Then again, being more knowledgeable and likable than Paul Ryan and Sarah Palin is pretty loving easy

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

The Glumslinger posted:

So I missed the majority of the debate, but it sounds like Biden got hammered out there. It's really funny because his VP debates feel like they were both huge wins. Then again, being more knowledgeable and likable than Paul Ryan and Sarah Palin is pretty loving easy

Plus he was younger then. He's pretty clearly declined since then.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

His answer was less than ideal but it was a bullshit question. If the Supreme Court has struck down Roe v. Wade theres virtually nothing the feds will be able to do to bring it back. Any legislation to try and force it on the states would also be struck down.

Exactly. There's no good answer for that question.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Pack the supreme court

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Unoriginal Name posted:

Pack the supreme court

Right, that's the only real solution, but it's not one that anyone (to my knowledge) has actually endorsed. At best we have Warren saying she'd look at it.

But really, it's fine to me to wait until after the election to endorse packing the court and ending the filibuster. Not that the Republicans ever need a justification, but the last thing we need is them using that as a cassus belli to prospectively do that.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Warren even gave the right answer yesterday: pass a federal bill that protects abortion. Bernie falling back on the Medicare for All stump speech was cringe.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

A big flaming stink posted:

Kucinich with the galaxy-brained take:

https://twitter.com/Dennis_Kucinich/status/1144447887088267264

literally going "Stick to SportsNon-racial Politics!"

God, remember the mid-2000s when he was the most important halfway progressive Democrat with relevance?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Man, I expected Biden to struggle on the stage, but I didn't expect him to get steamrolled right out the gate. Well done Harris; I still don't want you as the nominee, but if we have to have a cop in the White House I guess one that's also willing to murder white people is a plus.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Serious question, could you do rotating panels of judges on the supreme Court like you get in Federal courts? So a randomly chosen subset of like 5 get picked for each case? It seems like that, combined with more justices is the best way out of our current shitshow that doesn't just end with the next Republican repacking the court

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/1144463380268216322

:thunk: isn't that what was meant ?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The Glumslinger posted:

Serious question, could you do rotating panels of judges on the supreme Court like you get in Federal courts? So a randomly chosen subset of like 5 get picked for each case? It seems like that, combined with more justices is the best way out of our current shitshow that doesn't just end with the next Republican repacking the court
I don't remember the exact details, but yeah, from what I understand you could rotate them all except for Chief Justice and you still couldn't make someone retire.

But if you've got a united government and the political will to pack the courts, adding 5 new justices is probably easier to explain and push through.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

God, remember the mid-2000s when he was the most important halfway progressive Democrat with relevance?

Not gonna lie. I thought that tweet was from John Kasich because I'm on mobile and I didn't look at the avatar.

The Glumslinger posted:

Each president gets to appoint one justice either when another dies/retires or at the end of their term. Diluting the power that each individual justice has should be a goal of whatever packing the courts ends up looking like (could even be "bipartisan" but lol dem spin sux).

ummel fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 28, 2019

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I think this tweet most effectively captures crystal lady’s essence: she thinks James Cameron should have received the Nobel peace prize for making Avatar.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This thread is a goldmine

https://twitter.com/ellievhall/status/1144447746570641410?s=21

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

LinYutang posted:

Warren even gave the right answer yesterday: pass a federal bill that protects abortion. Bernie falling back on the Medicare for All stump speech was cringe.

I heard that as Bernie saying that abortion was already protected by the MFA bill. Which means that it was an even better answer in that he was saying that he's already put legislation forward to enshrine the right in law.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

That is how I would interpret that question too, but I can see that he also could have meant 'their health insurance' as in the people at home's health insurance. The question is awkward because as written, "their" should be referring to the candidates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

OctaMurk posted:

That is how I would interpret that question too

Yea I figured. I did too. But Warren at least went all in with talking about wby private insurance needs to go.