Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ok thanks for the answers, this thread is moving a mile a minute but hearing Biden selfdestructed and apparently is currently still smoldering as we speak is music to my ears. So sounds like it's basically bernie, warren, and kamala at this point. I'd prefer no kamala but that's still better than biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
Have any candidates come out and said they would pack the court? It's popular with us, but I don't remember it being a thing anyone's even hinted at promising. Just that One Weird Trick Bernie mentioned

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Bernie was just asked on CNN about Biden's states right argument and took a complete pass. Disappointing.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

e: oh yeah and nuke the fillibuster so McConnell can't block it

I feel like the events in the senate from today are a warning shot for what would actually happen if you abolished the filibuster.

Ershalim posted:

Have any candidates come out and said they would pack the court? It's popular with us, but I don't remember it being a thing anyone's even hinted at promising. Just that One Weird Trick Bernie mentioned

No, and Pete's 'plan' doesn't count.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ershalim posted:

Warren.

e: Also Harris and Gillibrand apparently

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh my god did he break down mid debate or something? He looks like he crashed and burned super hard. If so that'd be the first good thing in the last like 36 hours

Harris called him out for his support of segregationists and his opposition of busing. He had a rehearsed line for attacking Harris that he tried to bust out, and then she handled it by hitting back even harder and he absolutely wasn't prepared for that and had to start thinking on his feet. The gaffes came fast and furious after that, and he flailed helplessly until he realized he was just digging deeper and tried to get out of it by suggesting to the moderator that he thought his time must be up.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! IT'S THE ERIC ANDRE JOE BIDEN SHOW!

[spends three minutes destroying his own campaign in an incoherent rage]

*approaches Gillibrand, leans in creepily close * "Please, I'm dying out here, and I really, really need you to help me out here! Can you do that? Please?! I'm really dying here!" *sweats profusely, cries*

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hell pack the lower federal benches too, that'll teach loving McConnell to block appointments (And we honestly need more federal judges anyway)

It wouldn’t even be packing because the district courts are in crisis and need more judges.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Am I the only one thinking that Gillibrand was auditioning for Bernie's running mate?

It would actually be a good pairing, Bernie's, problem is that he's old and that means that his brain isn't as flexible as it was when he was younger, which explains how he's good with his stump speaches but isn't that adaptable. It's not a dig on him it's just a reality of getting old.

Having a younger more flexible running mate who can deal with things more dynamically would be good for him and Gillibrand taking the time to flesh out the transition part of the MFA plan was a good example of her doing exactly that.

If she's sincere in her left shift then being Bernie's VP would be a good way for her to earn some credibility with the base that she's something more than an opportunistic weather vane.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Warren.

e: Also Harris and Gillibrand apparently

Warren said it "deserved consideration." The other two I can't find a quote from. I mean, I wouldn't believe it from Harris or Gillibrand anyway, but the lack of someone outright saying it doesn't bode well for it being a thing.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Skex posted:

Bernie's, problem is that he's old and that means that his brain isn't as flexible as it was when he was younger, which explains how he's good with his stump speaches but isn't that adaptable. It's not a dig on him it's just a reality of getting old.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Skex posted:

Am I the only one thinking that Gillibrand was auditioning for Bernie's running mate?

yes

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

He's not and I think it would be foolish to think he is.

He's wounded bad, but he'll still be one of the frontrunners come July 30th and if he can do better then or if someone fucks up worse of if a million things happen in Trump time and dead children and the threat of war distracts us then he can recover.

I say that as someone who really wants him done.

theyve already been hiding biden from public appearances because they're terrified about what he's going to say, and the more they dig into his bussing past the worse it's going to be.

then biden is going to decide he needs to speak to the people and he'll grab the nearest minor by her collarbones and talk about all the "good ones" he's known throughout the years.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Skex I completely agree, in fact I suspect that he's actually paying her under the table to back him up at these debates. I don't know thats its really effective, but Bernie obviously has the cash to spare.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Ershalim posted:

Warren said it "deserved consideration." The other two I can't find a quote from. I mean, I wouldn't believe it from Harris or Gillibrand anyway, but the lack of someone outright saying it doesn't bode well for it being a thing.

That was a few months ago, Warren's last statement on the subject amounted to 'working around the court', for whatever that's worth.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Office Pig posted:

I feel like the events in the senate from today are a warning shot for what would actually happen if you abolished the filibuster.

Ultimately, the problem that any candidate is going to face is that no substantial legislation will make it through the Senate so long as the Fillibuster exists. We all lived through the Obama Administration, and as much as they hosed up, there was a lot of good things that they could have done up had the Senate Filibuster not existed. If Bernie or Warren want to make substantial changes in their first two years in office, they can't let the Senate be the spanner in the works-they have to go all-in immediately.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Skex posted:

If she's sincere in her left shift then

She is not. She is a liar and literally ran a racist congressional campaign with racist fliers

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ershalim posted:

Gotcha, I was mostly going by a months-old Hill headline

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Office Pig posted:

That was a few months ago, Warren's last statement on the subject amounted to 'working around the court', for whatever that's worth.

Since we're in the primary now, this is the most out there our candidates are going to get. If they're not calling for it loudly now, I think we can safely say they sure as hell won't once there's pressure from the right.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Can't wait to see the headlines tomorrow morning

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Main Paineframe posted:

Shocking Reversal: Unarmed White Man Killed By Black Cop

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/HaleighHoffman/status/1144432141096378373

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kill Chris Matthews

Reach into his guts and pull out his intestines

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/NomikiKonst/status/1144415584140058627

Thanskgiving must be really awkward.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Watching Steve Colbert and he just cheerleaded Harris for 20 minutes so I guess she’s the next great centrist hope

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Kill Chris Matthews

Reach into his guts and pull out his intestines

lol how. i didnt even see the whole thing but from what i saw, biden kinda just gurgled and gaffed the whole time and sundowned a bit.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Delthalaz posted:

Watching Steve Colbert and he just cheerleaded Harris for 20 minutes so I guess she’s the next great centrist hope

yes but what does chris christie think about her

a question someone asked, apparently

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Which one mentioned imprisoning insurance company execs? I thought hat was cool.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Google Trends most searched for candidates for the second debate:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skex posted:

It would actually be a good pairing, Bernie's, problem is that he's old and that means that his brain isn't as flexible as it was when he was younger, which explains how he's good with his stump speaches but isn't that adaptable. It's not a dig on him it's just a reality of getting old.

Having a younger more flexible running mate who can deal with things more dynamically would be good for him and Gillibrand taking the time to flesh out the transition part of the MFA plan was a good example of her doing exactly that.

If she's sincere in her left shift then being Bernie's VP would be a good way for her to earn some credibility with the base that she's something more than an opportunistic weather vane.

im from upstate ny: she isnt

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Trapezium Dave posted:

Google Trends most searched for candidates for the second debate:

Michigan, Hawaii and Rhode Island!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Bernie's reluctance to go negative is troubling and it hurt him in 2016.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Let's be honest, Bernie hosed up that abortion question HARD.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Now we wait for the polls to shift! They did for the first night so surely....right?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

Let's be honest, Bernie hosed up that abortion HARD.

To be fair he has no medical training whatsoever

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Let's be honest, Bernie hosed up that abortion question HARD.

Saying "M4A means abortions for all" was good.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Report from the front lines of my aging mothers FB posts:

Liberal boomers like: Pete, Kamela, Castro, and.... Yang?

loving boomers.

E: last week they were all about Biden so gently caress, I guess we're moving in the right direction.

DrHammond fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 28, 2019

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol how. i didnt even see the whole thing but from what i saw, biden kinda just gurgled and gaffed the whole time and sundowned a bit.

It wasn't even over his performance tonight. It was over last night's (when he wasn't there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I really hate that Bernie didn't give a real answer to "If Vermont couldn't get a single payer system started, how would the federal government?" There are good answers to that.