Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

exiting stormblood the same way i entered it

half naked in gridania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Klewer posted:

Hypercharge increases single target weaponskill potencies by 20 now, so HB is the same as before when you factor that in. I think they made that small change because you learn HC at 30 and HB at 35, and in between those levels there would be no reason to overheat if it wasn't for that small potency increase.

i'm no theorycrafter, and i need to wait for all the mch mains to start doing the math once the game goes live, BUT

poking my head around the balance discord it sounds like hypercharge might have an animation lock. if this is the case, you might only be able to get 5 heat blasts during an overheat rather than 6. if this is true, it might only be worth heat blasting during a wildfire window and then normal combos the rest of the time? they might have put the 20 potency bump because if hypercharge > heat blast outside of wildfire was a dps loss there'd be no point in doing it, so this is a way of giving it some benefit

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cabbit posted:

That seems really weird-- surely the cooldown reduction on Ricochet and Gauss Round would push things back into Heat Blast's favor.

Hearing that you can only ever get five Heat Blasts inside of Overcharge is great, though; seems like it would address a lot of the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how difficult and ping-reliant it'd be to fit six Heat Blasts inside Overcharge.

fitting six heat blasts wasn't really the problem, it's that 6 heat blasts = 3 full gauss round/ricochet charges so you're overcapping on charges unless you can weave between a 1.5 gcd which some people just can't do due to ping

doing basic rear end napkin math is tough to suss out, because i'm not a theorycrafter. 4 hits of basic combo under overheat is like 1380 potency, but you also gain 20 heat and 10 battery. meanwhile 5 hits of heat blast under overheat is only 1100, but you get 600~ potency worth of gauss round and ricochet charges. it'll take someone doing some crunching to figure out if the heat and battery gain of the main combo make it worthwhile

this is if hypercharge has animation lock at all, of course

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Machinist definitely wins here.

holy gently caress :krad:

Mulva posted:

It didn't even straight up lose 7, some of them are repurposed into other abilities. Like Darkside is gone as a button, but it's a buff now. So we didn't really lose anything there. Considering there is no damage decrease from tank stance, it's now straight bonus damage all the time now. We functionally lost one thing, Sole Survivor, as that functionality isn't really in any of our other stuff. That's it. We lost one thing.

i mean that's a little disingenuous. maybe in terms of buttons lost to buttons gained it's nothing but from the looks and sounds of things the class plays considerably differently now. most notably, slower

everyone can meme a lot about dark arts weaving but for someone looking for a high activity tank it felt great, and they're losing that

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Gorelab posted:

Yeah, but its not like DA was complex. I feel like GNB basically stole it though.

i'd never argue it was complex, just that hitting more buttons = feels gooderer. continuation is why i'm looking forward to gnb after being so hot and heavy on drk since the start of the year

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

MCH AF2 goggles work and /visor on Hrothgar, according to a handy pubbie in shout chat.

one of two headgear i cared about! :woop:

the other is the head bandage, which i believe was also confirmed, hell yeah can't wait to change to a lion dad when i get home from work

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

so some of those new viera voices are terrible. anyone got videos of hrothgar voices so i can avoid having to create a dozen alts to listen for myself?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hrothgar good

https://twitter.com/Kaubocks/status/1144813924182659072

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

starting a petition to give me an option to turn the TP bar back on even if it does nothing just because the screen feels empty without it

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

garfield hentai posted:

So for 70 MCH, am I doing things right more or less with "do the 123 while weaving in oGCDs and using hot shot/drill when they're up until 50 heat, at which point hypercharge, wf if it's up and just go bananas mashing the gently caress out of heat blast and ricochet/gauss"?

you definitely want to hypercharge under wildfire, definitely keep drill and hot shot rolling, and DEFINITELY reassemble your drill if it’s up. the damage on a dh crit drill is absolutely nutty and the two come up off cooldown around the same time if you keep them rolling

but otherwise yeah you got it. 1-2-3, hypercharge at 50 because barrel stabilizer can slam you into cap if you’re not careful. dump your gauss and ricochet before hypercharge, though at 70 you cap out at 2 charged each so a weave during heat blast spam is necessary unless you want to overcap charges

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I spent a fantasia to change the voice on my Viera and I'm not sure if it was a good choice :negative:

I can't remember having a problem with the combat voices on any other character (I can't even remember what the voice on my character was like before changing to a bunny), but I think I kinda... don't like any of the Viera ones. It doesn't help that they only have 2 combat grunts that they spam over and over either, it's especially awkward when dancing since your character is just going HNNGH HNNGH HNNNGH with the same voiceline on repeat.

Nothing can be perfect, I suppose.

have you considered hrothgar voice 5

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Eccles posted:

That is like 6 hours of Youtube walkthroughs to review.

you really don't

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

BOO

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm up to the level 75 part of the MSQ but i'm only level 74. having done nothing but MSQ, aether current quests, and any FATEs along the way (no roulettes or sidequests), i've been level locked a couple times now.

kind of annoying but it's nothing another run of the previous dungeon doesn't seem to fix

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Note that if you have the motorcycle mount it automatically has increased movement speed.

getting a lot of use out of my motorcycle this expac

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the more i play new mch the more i like the general flow of it, except for one thing

barrel stabilizer

everything else about the rotation lines fairly well, or can be delayed or pressed early without really any issue. except every two minutes barrel stabilizer comes back up and throws a wrench in the whole thing

literally every time i’ve had barrel stabilizer come back up i’m either close to or over 50 heat and i have drill and/or air anchor coming up; so either i’m letting those drift or i’m overcapping on heat. kinda sucks

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I honestly just keep Barrel Stabiliser as an emergency cooldown now outside of the opener.

might follow you on this one. i it just doesn’t feel good to slot in anywhere so i’ll just put it off until i have nothing else to manage

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Not just critical hits, but critical direct hits.

reassemble even guarantees direct crit on every hit of an aoe now, so burn it on a spread shot/auto crossbow if you're on a trash pack (doesn't affect bio blaster)

new reassemble is nutty

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

My main gripes with new MCH have to do with battery:

i at least like how flexible the battery gauge is. damage scales linearly from 50-100 so it doesn't matter when you dump it, just whenever is most convenient for your rotation/raid buffs

sure it kinda means there's no huge benefit to managing it up to 100 but i think it works well in tandem with being able to hypercharge whenever is convenient, too. if the new main goal is to keep drill and air anchor rolling consistently, it's good to not have to micromanage the two meters as well

.......except barrel stabilizer...............

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Barrel Stabilizer is the new Perfect Balance. Everything old is new again.

and just leave free damage lying on the table like that?? :supaburn:

(haven't played since you mentioned it last, gonna try not windmill slamming barrel stabilizer every time it's up tonight)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I admit i only casually lurk the mch balance but don't you want at least 80 battery for rook or 100 for queen due to animation warmup

startup was taken into account with the math. it doesn't matter; damage scales linearly

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nothing will be a button mash

mch is getting extremely high CPM with the latest rework, and i hear nin and smn are even worse atm

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 4, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

:getin: :unsmiggh:

Oh no, not going to get the amaro mount *right away*, it'll just have to be a long-term expansion-long endeavour instead.

i don’t have the time or energy to level the classes i am interested in, you think i’d expend effort on the ones i don’t give a gently caress about???

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

wanna level gnb but it's been so long since i leveled something i forget what the best xp sources are

- daily roulettes
- most level appropriate dungeon
- heaven on high (want to avoid this, boring)
- hunts??

what else can i do to level from 60-70 where i can just get my trust/fates on

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i’m a page behind on the thread but i wanna jump on the bandwagon of everyone posting The final battle image

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

im noticing a serious lack of cat dads in these pics

cat dad is disappointed

except you, you make me proud

i love cat dad

https://twitter.com/kaubocks/status/1147308270668795905?s=21

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

i like Overpower because it feels like it's actually got a decent range lengthwise, and the sfx on it convey the cone pretty well. mythril tempest is really, really nice and probably the best new ability we got.

what i can't figure out is why i can't fuckin stand the MCH cone aoe's. i never liked spread shot that much, because the cone feels short and the sfx are super weak, but now we have Auto Crossbow and it feels like it has the same problems. short cone, and though the animation is cool it doesn't have any punch to it. plus trying to squeeze in as many crossbows as i can in the tiny hypercharge window while at the same time trying to keep something targetted in the middle of the pack that's not about to die is just not fun.

my MCH is like 74 and i don't want to play it anymore.

spread shot/auto crossbow cones are a lot bigger than you think they are

pick the guy with the most health and go to town

edit: mch aoe hits like a runaway dump truck and out of every dungeon run i've parsed only one player even just barely fell short of TYING me; nobody has beaten me

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just lmao if you didn't think speaking ardbert's words was the hypest poo poo

i love ardbert and he will live on forever in me

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

earlier i said that i think barrel stabilizer is the worst part of nuMCH, and i still kinda feel that way, but also reading a guide for it i found something that's worse

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alakaiser posted:

As if MCH wasn’t already the best job for self-loathing.

You’re totally right about stabilizer though. It always feels like it’s a GCD or two too late to feel right, and that’s with me having 630 skill speed.

i don't entirely remember what i've said about nuMCH in this thread already, but after getting it to cap and spending a bunch of time on it, i do wanna be clear that i'm liking it quite a bit.

it still has at least somewhat of a clockwork ideology behind it in that you want to keep drill and air anchor rolling at all times, no exception and then you have to squeeze stuff in between where it can fit. drill also has an extremely satisfying animation/sfx to it. drill being on such a short cooldown really pushes you to learn when you can and can't get away with dedicating time to hypercharge, so there's some optimal play to it. hypercharge and queen are both very flexible too, in that you can delay or dump them early as needed so long as you're playing correctly around the drill/anchor timers. their aoe game has also been vastly improved, with four different options available to you basically at all times.

my biggest complaints is, as stated, barrel stabilizer. as you say it just never feels like it comes back up at the right time. even the guide i was looking at kind of echoes this. you can just let it sit there and wait to hit it at a right time but it feels so bad to leave so much potential potency lying on the table. wildfire also feels kinda pointless and vestigial. you have to dedicate resources and time to something that doesn't do close to as much damage as reassemble + drill. i'd honestly be fine with ditching barrel stabilizer/wildfire and maybe giving them a different button in return

oh also CPM on nuMCH is so high it feels like my wrists are going to shatter at a moment's notice so if you thought original wildfire was bad, lol

edit: also they're a damage hose now, can't complain there

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 8, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

i line up stabilizer for wildfire and they always seem good to go together without any waste so long as i'm diligent with dumping charges

it’s not the gauss/rico charges that are a problem

infuriate on warrior can be dumped no issue because all it takes is a single fell cleave. dumping heat on mch is a 7~ second commitment, and if you aren’t hitting drill and air anchor on cooldown you’re letting your heaviest damage hitters drift

when getting all your cooldowns rolling during an opener, what consistently ends up happening is barrel stabilizer comes back up around 50 heat with drill and/or air anchor coming up off cooldown. there is no way to hit barrel stabilizer on cooldown without overcapping heat because you don’t have time to commit to dumping it, so barrel stabilizer drifts.

you don’t really “save” barrel stabilizer for wildfire because you spend both of them around the same time during an opener because you want to get your cooldowns rolling. they will always come back online at the same time because they’re both 2 minutes. they just both come online at bad times, and it feels bad to just leave damage sitting on the table because you don’t have time to commit to it

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Do you have a link? I'm curious to see cursed optimisation.

it's not particularly complicated. the idea is that now that flamethrower isn't tied to heat anymore, it can be used anywhere. the cursed optimisation comes from if a boss has a part where they leave the battlefield, you position yourself where they come back and pre-cast flamethrower. they should, if you're lucky, ideally take one tick of FT damage by the time you're able to actually target them and shoot them

it's 100 free potency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ayzJD2pmNMIEK19MWCF9Ps3TEw5FBJ82I8bQKoiQIFI/preview

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cabbit posted:

I feel like 100 potency per boss jump has to be, like, nearly indistinguishable.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

The biggest problem with MCH is that the bot looks enough like a person that I keep thinking I need to rescue or try and preheal someone for not doing mechanics.

i was doing exdr with a pal tonight. the one where the final boss of the dungeon mean knockback to the whole party and you have to sprint through electricity

i had just summoned queen and she had just summoned fray as everyone got knocked away. except them. they don’t give a gently caress. :allears:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

i was doing exdr with a pal tonight. the one where the final boss of the dungeon mean knockback to the whole party and you have to sprint through electricity

i had just summoned queen and she had just summoned fray as everyone got knocked away. except them. they don’t give a gently caress. :allears:

double posting to say that during this dungeon i was also rolling with my friend playing SAM. i literally got up from my desk in the middle of the last boss battle to take a pizza out of the oven, and after then dungeon i still parsed higher than him. and he’s a really good SAM

MCH damage is off the chain right now

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Shellman posted:

I can't count how often I've summoned Fray (sorry, I mean Esteem) and then immediately thought "what loving dps decided I needed help tanking right on front of this boss?" before realizing my error.

sometimes i move to the front of the boss explicitly to drop my robot there so the tank has a friend! :buddy:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Impermanent posted:

they aren't. You'll never notice 100 random potency in a parse.

that's coward's talk

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Note Block posted:

You shouldn't play MCH if you aren't ready to YEE HAW.

https://twitter.com/Kaubocks/status/1144813924182659072

(audio required)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Do pugilists/monks get an actual fist weapon?

Like a gauntlet of some sort, or is it all knuckles and stab-knuckles?

byakko fists are big dumb fists

you can also just go bare knuckle with the emperors new fists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

you should toxx this one too