Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
GNB utility got nerfed for some reason. SMN's weird firebird regen got buffed to something useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

So since the media tour GNB gained a bunch of potency across the board, DNC lost a bit and their crit/dh buff was nerfed by 10% (but gained 5s) and new MCH gained potency pretty much across the board but lost a bit on their 1 and Heat Blast. Old jobs that aren't being reworked don't seem to have changed much. Warrior's Shake it Off starts at 12% now, which is nice.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Klewer posted:

Hypercharge increases single target weaponskill potencies by 20 now, so HB is the same as before when you factor that in. I think they made that small change because you learn HC at 30 and HB at 35, and in between those levels there would be no reason to overheat if it wasn't for that small potency increase. WF and Barrel Stabilizer also had their cooldowns changed to 2m instead of 1m, and WF adds 200 potency per weaponskill instead of 150.

Ah, I was pretty good about checking the recasts but didn't notice the change on WF. Bummer!

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

My gear isn't the best but it seems like the damage dealt in dungeons has gone way up. Dungeons are taking longer than they used to, and it seems pretty risky to even go a double pull.

I don't find this super exciting because I don't enjoy trash pulls, but what's nice is that every boss so far has had a very powerful tank buster that has made cooldowns a bit more useful than they usually are in this type of content.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Automated Posting posted:

So is there anywhere that lists how many of the new bicolor gemstones currency from FATEs you have? I don't see it in my inventory or in the currencies tab. Also, it's pretty wild actually seeing people out in the field and doing FATEs and stuff. I wonder if the revamped FATEs will lead to people spending more time in overworld after the initial expansion rush or if it'll end up fizzling out in the end.

it's in the travel menu, under shared fates. you'll see how much you have there and your progress on the traders

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

I wasn't able to play today so I couldn't do more FATE grinding. Does anybody know what gemstone traders give at rank 3?

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Took all day, but I finally managed to get into a Titania Ex clear party that could finish the fight. People really struggle with the add phase.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 7, 2019

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

I was level 77 on day one of early access and hit level 80 while the quests were still on level 78 I believe. It's pretty quick to level if you don't watch cutscenes, although I did end up watching a fair few cutscenes this expansion.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Tried the 71 dungeon as an AST, I ran out of buttons on the first double pull, and had to resort to just mainlining Benefic IIs into the tank with them hovering just above 10%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjWe31S_0g

Few pages old, but Scholar's Aetherflow has the same problem now.

The dungeons in Shadowbringers hit like a truck unless you're stat capped. The same was kinda true for SB, but it's definitely more exaggerated here. The tankbusters on bosses are serious business now too.

Of course, AST just needs some potency buffs as well.

Banjo Kaczynski posted:

main complain I've heard is that no energy drain means you can't dump aether stacks anymore

It's this, more than anything. The lack of DoTs does feel really bad against bosses, but it's fine. I've been slowly leveling SCH the past couple days and I've only a few times used all of my Aetherflow before refreshing it. Either Energy Drain or something like it should be added back in, or wasted Aetherflow should just automatically be converted to MP so I can spam Art of War more.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 8, 2019

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

orcane posted:

Don't rely on other people's opinions completely, they're often biased in a way you won't be if you pick up a job from scratch (ie. you don't know the "good old days :corsair:" they're missing and maybe you like enough about the job that it makes it okay to live with the new card mechanics).

Of course the "problem" with healers is there's no shortcut to a level where you have most tools in order to see how they really play. AST at 30 is not complete, WHM starts at 1 and SCH starts as a level 1 DPS job. You could try Palace of the Dead but that doesn't really challenge your healing. I really hope they add another healing job next expansion.

RDM is pretty straightforward and a good "beginner" job IMO, because it's just complex enough it lets you focus on the environment and mechanics most of the time, instead of trying to min-max three bars full of DoTs, buffs and combos.

I've been doing Titania extreme with my husband for the last couple days and he's been a raid/ex trial healer since HW. He was extremely stressed out trying to heal it as AST. It's difficult and it's awkward and that just isn't the case for the other healers. Not to mention, WHMs deal 4k+ dps easily while having an easier time healing.

And even in dungeons, AST damage is bad and the healing toolkit is underwhelming. They're in a really bad spot right now, but most of the issues will be solved by increasing the potencies on pretty much everything they do.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Minrad posted:

Titania ex has like no damage happening, so my kneejerk reaction is just that they're grumpy with ast changes moreso than the job not being able to heal

Him and every other AST, I guess. Just for no reason, probably!

It's less of a problem now that we have the clear and don't have to team with people who eat unnecessary damage, that is true. You're still doing less damage and less healing as an AST compared to WHM though. And healing a Holmgang'd Warrior or a DRK who used Living Dead isn't especially fun as AST.

And like I said, the same is true in dungeons. They're less good at handling massive pulls than a WHM, both because of less bursty healing as well as the fact WHM can just permastun trash.

orcane posted:

Don't get me wrong, I see how AST is pretty lovely to play right now, but I still advise against dismissing a job completely based on third party testimonials. By the time they level an AST from 30 to wherever healing becomes stressful, perhaps AST gets buffs and fixes already. It sucks you can't really try them in relevant content before that and potentially waste the time spent leveling. But then again, maybe in the future they'll cripple the other healers instead and then you're glad you have done AST :v:

Otherwise just buy a WHM jump potion because WHM owns.

I see your point, yeah. Don't buy jump potions though, leveling to 80 takes no time. And I've been stuck in dungeons with people who've used jump potions several times this week and it's truly awful.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 8, 2019

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Minrad posted:

I have not heard any other ast say they can't heal titania ex

They've also always been the weakest dungeon healer for four years running, so I'm not sure why that's a shocking adjustment either. Maybe the only time they've been better is compared to scholar at stormblood launch

Ast probably needs their healing potencies bumped by 5% but it's not an unplayable train wreck that deserves insane hyperbole.

I never said AST can't heal Titania Ex either. Obviously he did it, because he got the clear. I just said it's the worst at it, and not terribly good in clear parties when you've got 4+ bad players doing their best to ruin the run for you.

Astroniomix posted:

I'm an AST and I have no idea what your husband is talking about WRT healing Titania.

AST has also always sucked in dungeons so I'm not sure why these complaint are suddenly surfacing now.

They're surfacing now, I imagine, because tanks need more babysitting this expansion and without the oGCDs of Scholar or the stun of WHM it's really exacerbating AST's shortcomings. I mean, AST is a nightmare to play just killing mobs in the field even.

Edit: There's one AST in the top 15 clears for Titania Ex on fflogs. Everybody is running WHM and SCH.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 8, 2019

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Astroniomix posted:

That's almost purely because of how low AST's DPS is, their healing is more or less ok but they went overboard with the damage.

That's correct. They're not good in farm parties. I'm also saying they're not good in clear/learning parties, though. I dunno what your experience was with the clear, but we're just a group of 4 who have to rely on strangers to get the first kill before we can have an easy time doing anything. AST wasn't fun in clear parties this time, when that wasn't really the case in previous expansions.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Minrad posted:

Why? You keep saying they're bad/not fun, but haven't given any reason or explanation for that. Fun is subjective and you can at least point to the changed card system for that, but aside from numbers tweaking and the loss of opposition on stacked hots, nothing has changed for their healing model. They even have multiple new oGCD heals, so I really don't know what the problem is unless you can state one.

I have. Now post your parses.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Minrad posted:

You haven't! :) You've cited someone else's opinion being that it feels "awkward" to heal with, but their healing toolkit has only been expanded with oGCDs, and they're the healer that can best take advantage of that with the short cast time on combust; meanwhile WHM and SCH both have to deal with their lack of useful oGCDs to double weave and conversion to a single 30 second instant cast dot to conveniently clip with.

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/6caAYNtd3xFBwLbJ#boss=1045&difficulty=100&wipes=2

Thank you for sharing. Grats on the clears.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Minrad posted:

well, nice meltdown, I guess

Sorry I didn't feel like engaging with somebody who just kept repeating "not an argument! not an argument!" when I said AST is in a bad spot. You said they need higher healing potencies, the other person said they need more damage. I said they need both, the most correct statement of all.

I don't care what your parses are I just don't wanna talk to you anymore you weirdo.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

I will say that my husband had a 57th percentile DPS run on AST in a party finder group. His DPS was 3,300. His healing was 74th percentile, at 4,700 HPS.

The WHM in our group who we picked up on PF did 6,600 DPS and 4,800 HPS.

The run before we had a SCH. My husband had 3,250 DPS and 3,700 HPS. The SCH had 4,200 DPS and 5,100 HPS.

Even at 57th percentile, when you're really optimising your skills but not using potions/food buffs and not optimising party buffs, AST DPS sucks. And no matter what the other healers will poo poo out way more healing.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

CYBEReris posted:

i don't see raid dps represented here, which seems like ast's entire gimmick and would be important to evaluating their place as healers

As I said earlier, AST isn't being taken into the top parties pretty much ever. I know that's their gimmick, but their personal DPS is too low for it to matter.

And really, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of the things but doing quests and stuff in the overworld as AST is a total bummer.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 8, 2019

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Vermain posted:

Same here. I don't think they're unplayable, but they're not quite measuring up to SCH/WHM. Admittedly, most of my complaints are related to dungeons: I think Celestial Opposition should get its stun back, Collective Unconscious should either have a higher regen or a lower base cooldown, and consideration should be given to lowering the Essential Dignity trait a few levels. I also wouldn't object to seeing Time Dilation come back. I've got the bar space, and it would both help with mana longevity in high end content and help in dungeons by extending oGCD HoTs on the tank.

Yep! I don't know the name of AST skills but I think this is all the same stuff my husband has complained about in dungeons.

I mean AST is still an aesthetically cool class and there's nothing wrong with their design, they just need additional potency on pretty much everything. Which they'll probably get, I'm guessing.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Minrad posted:

you're extremely personally offended over not explaining yourself very well when questioned, lol. they're posts mate, chill out, don't have a posting meltdown.

I agreed with you that their healing potency is low, and their dps has always been lower because it's measured against the raid dps they bring.

All I wanted to know was what you meant when you posted

because I omniheal a lot and AST has felt fine while leveling it, and doesn't look too far off the mark diving into various logs and co-healing with an AST.

A top parse heal for AST is lower than a really lovely heal from a SCH or WHM while at the same time they're doing less damage. I dunno what to say dude, I said from the beginning they just don't have the healing numbers. It's not a meltdown to not want to talk to somebody being obtuse.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Minrad posted:

They have fine healing numbers. If they find Titania EX stressful to heal, the 5-10% buff AST may or may not get in a few weeks isn't gonna make that fight feel easier to heal because it has an extremely low damage profile in the first place. The damage numbers it puts out are barely higher than Stormblood's primals and it has a lesser healing requirement than almost all of o5s through o12s.

I'm sorry, but your AST player might just not be very good? They are welcome to try another job if they think it will make the current extremes easier to heal, but I don't think you can point at the current state of healers and say that this is an unacceptable place for AST to be on Titania

When AST looked like this in Stormblood

There is plenty of damage in Titania if you're in a learning party and people are eating unnecessary damage. I dunno how many times I've gotta tell you that they're harder to heal with in learning parties and weaker in farming parties. They also have a harder time healing DRK to full after they Living Dead Fae Light.

If you're in a static or a party who've all cleared and you're doing barely any DPS and constantly overhealing like you are in your parses, then yeah it's fine.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lmao at the insinuation that Minrad is "doing barely any DPS" and "constantly overhealing"

Their parses are bad. They're worse than my husband's. I wasn't the first to call anybody a bad player, to be clear.

Here's a parse from our group last night. PF.

I mean you really ought to be amazing if you're gonna accuse anybody of being bad.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Minrad posted:

That was a posted summary of my entire log upload from that day, but your inability to read FFLogs is not surprising!

Sorry, I assumed you were the AST and got confused. Your parses are good, for sure.

To the point though, my husband ain't bad and I'm less embarrassed about assuming you were an AST than you should be about calling somebody bad. All while accusing me of having a meltdown for some reason.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 8, 2019

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Jose Valasquez posted:

Why are you hiding your names? Post your fflogs link if you are going to talk poo poo about other people's parses

I was just asked not to share names so I didn't, that's all.

I was not the first to besmirch anybody here, so calm down.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I'm pretty new to this game but I'm not new to math---can you explain why you think the HPS variance here isn't uncceptable? Is there some nuance of raid healing I'm missing here, because it looks like AST is going from 0.47% below the total parsed HPS average , to 8.13% below the total parsed average.

Is that kind of thing typical in this game's healing content, and Stormblood's relatively tight variance (from 0.52% below at worst to 0.78% above at best) is an outlier compared to the +2.19% / -8.13% you're showing for ShB to date?

It's a problem, which is why they said the numbers should be bumped up. Their argument is that the healing is sufficient for current content though, which it is, but you'll notice the lower numbers if you're in a group of less-than-perfect players.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Astroniomix posted:

You were the one that demanded parses.

That's correct. I wasn't being sincere. And given that I was under the false impression all this time that the person I was talking to had bad parses, I should be believed when I say I really did not care what the parses were. I just didn't want to engage with somebody who was clearly angling to call me and my husband bad players for saying AST has problems, which is objectively the case.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Blast of Confetti posted:

does WAR get any circular AoE abilities? im leveling PLD right now basically just to easy gold fates in ShB but WAR might be a good pick too for all the self heals. was just never a fan of the conal aoe thing

Yeah, in fact they were the best at it before ShB. Right now I think Overpower is pretty annoying to use though because you need a target.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Blast of Confetti posted:

eeeh i think ill stick with pld then. hitting my aoes while watching netflix and not paying attention is nice

It's not something I realised until I started playing PLD more and now GNB, but yeah the conal/targeted nature of Overpower is pretty annoying when you just wanna zone out.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Tormented posted:

Tanks are so used to being able to just hit 1-2-3 over and over again and nothing else. Tanks should have to be forced to at-least hit one cooldown during tankbusters.

This is a good change and makes the people trying out tanking different those skilled at it. So many horrible tanks since everyone leveling gunbreaker.

Yeah it owns that you have to press buttons in dungeons now. Makes them less boring. Of course people always should have for the benefit of their healers, but they never did.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Ibblebibble posted:

5.0 MCH is a loving optimisation nightmare.

I was a real whiny poo poo about new MCH before release but turns out it still owns because now it's this button mashy mess that doesn't have super obvious priorities without mathing things out a bit.

Still I've switched to Summoner as my main dps.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like him more now than I did two cutscenes ago.

Also the level 78 Black Mage chest piece is incredible.

All the Dwarf Cotton stuff whips

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Bremma posted:

I fantasia'd at the begging of ShB and was surprised how quickly I fell into my new look as a burly catman. I'm not sure I could go back to my OG femroe (though her appearance is saved in case I ever want to)

I was tempted to the do the same but ultimately stayed as Femroe because I like their look more. They used to feel really uncommon too but I've been seeing more around lately.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Vermain posted:

I anticipate them settling down within a few months, but it's not as sure a bet as it once was. Gunbreaker's genuinely excellent in aesthetics and gameplay and feels more like a DPS job than any of the other tanks, and the general tank updates were super solid and made the jobs far more accessible. I also wouldn't be surprised if the difficulty bump in Holminster Switch ended up driving away a lot of people from leveling up healers. Having run it a bunch on both sides of the tank/healing fence, damage output from trash is bizarrely high compared to even Dohn Megh. Early double pulls in DM are fairly lackadaisical, but early double pulls in HS feel like I'm seconds away from getting my rear end kicked constantly.

I've just switched to healer after playing GNB/War and the only time I've had a tank die was on the last double pull of Dohn Mheg. He wasn't using cooldowns, but I was spending all my GCDs and Aetherflow on his health and I just couldn't keep him up.

That's not to say HM is easier, because it isn't, but there's parts of DM that poo poo out lots of damage too.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, if he's not burning defense cooldowns on ShB double pulls, he kind of deserves to get pasted until he learns.

The thing I've picked up thus far from healing and tanking ShB dungeons is that the trash is harder than the bosses if you start double pulling. Straight up wall pulling is downright suicidal.

I think he probably knew better because his search info said he's a PLD main with clears of Titania/Innocence Ex. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and guessing he just mismanaged his cooldowns and didn't have any on that final pull. It's also possible I hosed up and fat fingered something without realising it, since I haven't touched SCH since the second week of Stormblood I think.

The tank-melting aspect of ShB dungeons becomes less of a thing as you go up in levels I feel. The last couple feel easier and more like what tanking HW/SB felt like. The expert dungeons, even in just AF gear, also feel pretty speedy and not too life threatening.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Minrad posted:

The big thing for sch and ast is that they get a lot of oGCD healing, since all their new stuff is healing, so their effective throughput only goes up even as they lose power from relative ilvl decrease. By 78 I had no problem telling tanks to go ham on SCH, and AST felt a lot better with intervention at 74.

Yeah I've just unlocked Fey Blessing and having just the one additional oGCD is enough to make pulls smoother. I imagine the HoT on Sacred Soil helps too but I've literally never stood in an upgraded Soil yet.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Ibblebibble posted:

Hmm, maybe the SSS Titania EX dummy is just overtuned, because I'm getting it down to 6%. Maybe it assumes you have full Ronkan?

someone talks about beating it with only 2 Ronkan pieces and AF4 gun

Hmm, maybe I'm just poo poo at the game.

Nope, it's just overtuned. Don't stress about it. Your dps is probably pretty solid if you can get it that low before timing out, honestly.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

I am sending my energy to all the dedicated sprouts doing their best to get out of 6 year old content.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

SirSamVimes posted:

Just because your soul exists and goes on to reincarnate doesn't mean you're alive. The new owner of your soul isn't you.

Also do crafters still need to get CUL to 15 first for cross class skill reasons?

Yeah to get Hasty Touch. If you want to do crafting and especially if you want to use macros to make it all less tedious, you'll want to get a lot of the crafts to 50 at least. And by that point, you might as well suffer through HW crafts because levelling crafts in SB and ShB is pretty painless.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

What if the materials are all just HQ materials from the First with no items from the Source?

Why are villagers on the first (who are incapable of jumping between worlds) handing out coffers containing gear that require materials from the source?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Kwyndig posted:

I'm wondering how long it took you/how much it cost to track down those ingredients because they seemed kind of spendy.

I've done 4 Zonureskin maps and got 2 Indigo Cloths. That's probably a little lucky, but I think they aren't super uncommon. The price should go down pretty quickly.