Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Just be sure to read the remark about the title of that post being incredibly misleading - it's just a JP image of a reddit poll's results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Nessus posted:

A general thought about the story so far. Which I'm spoilering mostly out of courtesy even if it's mostly about how the First gets presented.

I appreciate that despite being an enormous mega-apocalypse that beggars the imagination, it was clear that the people in Norvrandt didn't just sit in the ruins and feel sorry for themselves. While obviously some did, society seemed to vaguely scrape itself together; we see colorful media products intended to help teach children, Eulmore apparently was a major city until Vauthry took over and took a fat dump, etc. While perhaps the Crystarium was the nucleus of this, it seems clear that they weren't the only thing going on; people were actually attempting to live, and it seems like it took generations, and possibly literal evil magic, for people to actually fully give up rather than attempting to live.

It was an element I noticed and enjoyed, and fed into a theme that was emphasized multiple times through the expansion and which has existed in clear form since Answers was sung ("Those who walk before lead those that walk after"). That people will and need to work for better futures, even when it appears hopeless, even when you likely won't live to see your hopes realized. It's brought to the front with Ardbert's musings during the battle in Lakeland after he failed to save the lives of two frightened soldiers--"Though the losses be grave, endure them. Though the victories be hollow, claim them"--and again when the Exarch confronts Vauthry, espousing the virtue of willing to work for a better world you won't get to see against the myopic, self-absorbed indulging in the now.

Goodness gracious, the writing this time around was spectacular.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

As an admittedly casual SCH main, I'm trying to figure out why so many people are dissatisfied. There are disappointments like not bring able to AF out of combat, but overall it still feels like SCH to me. What am I missing?

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

YorexTheMad posted:

As an admittedly casual SCH main, I'm trying to figure out why so many people are dissatisfied. There are disappointments like not bring able to AF out of combat, but overall it still feels like SCH to me. What am I missing?

main complain I've heard is that no energy drain means you can't dump aether stacks anymore

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So for mining and botany right now once you have enough gathering to reveal unspoiled nodes in one hit and enough GP for your full collectable rotation (and a spare Sharp Vision 2) do you just pump up perception as high as you can so that Impulsive Appraisal 2 will proc Discerning Eye more?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 8, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Congrats you're finally getting to the good stuff.

And yeah switching to the (British?) VA studio they use currently did wonders for things.

Oh that makes a lot of sense. When prince nicehair of the templars walked in I was like "Wait is this a different game what happened". I really felt like his storyline was the start of HW in a way that none of the other Coerthas stuff pulled off before that point.

I think in Snowcloak I got a party of 4 people and we were all brand new to the dungeon at the same point in the MSQ and we all started talking about how good the music was and how cool the dungeon was and the story is finally picking up. Even for the bosses we were like "Whatever let's figure it out" which was a welcome change from "BARD U IDIOT YOU DIDN'T RUN AROUND IN A FIGURE 8 AND THEN EMOTE /joy WHEN BOSS CHARGED ATTACK?"

But honestly, with all of it behind me now - they need to cut out no joke 75% of the ARR MSQ. Some of that stuff could stay in the game as a literal side quest and you'd lose absolutely nothing. I am almost level 60 and I didn't even start HW.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

YorexTheMad posted:

The people most unhappy about current SCH probably have a different idea of what "feels like SCH" means to begin with, since the job lost a ton of non-healing activity. You can argue this was pointless busywork and the new potencies make up for most of the damage abilities SCH lost, but the actual play style is a thing a lot of SCH mains liked and it's objectively more streamlined now with one DoT and either hitting Broil/Ruin or Art of War over and over and over vs. Broil/Ruin, juggling two DoTs, the AoE DoT, a ground DoT and energy drain.

Besides that, aetherflow management is a big one. Since you need the MP, just sitting on stacks forever is not really a good option. But you have nothing to spend it on that's not a heal so you waste it on unnecessary Lustrates or Indom or just refresh it with 2 stacks still sitting there unused and hope it will be back before the last enemy of an encounter dies instead of 1 second after. At the same time, if you DO need it (eg. big trash pulls) but can't recharge it out of combat, it's awful having to start fights without a single stack for stuff like pre-Excog on the tank or Lustrate on the run between packs while AF cools down.

So when you're balls to the wall healing, SCH is mostly fine because it has great tools (especially for single targets) as long as Aetherflow doesn't get in the way. Every time you're not healing 105%, it almost instantly becomes dull because Broil takes a full GCD to cast (ie. not good for weaving) and Ruin II has significantly lower potency if you want to weave OGCDs. Art of War uses 33% more MP for 7% more potency and doesn't even have a secondary effect compared to Holy too (also the GFX and SFX is kind of weak, but that's IMO). And that's it, there's nothing else to do because your super fairy also can't do anything but heal even better.

So basically SCHs got used to somewhat frantic gameplay with lots of (weaker) options and all they got for the new expansion was... even more healing (they were already good at that) in exchange for crippled Aetherflow management and extremely cut-down green DPS options.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh that makes a lot of sense. When prince nicehair of the templars walked in I was like "Wait is this a different game what happened". I really felt like his storyline was the start of HW in a way that none of the other Coerthas stuff pulled off before that point.

I think in Snowcloak I got a party of 4 people and we were all brand new to the dungeon at the same point in the MSQ and we all started talking about how good the music was and how cool the dungeon was and the story is finally picking up. Even for the bosses we were like "Whatever let's figure it out" which was a welcome change from "BARD U IDIOT YOU DIDN'T RUN AROUND IN A FIGURE 8 AND THEN EMOTE /joy WHEN BOSS CHARGED ATTACK?"

But honestly, with all of it behind me now - they need to cut out no joke 75% of the ARR MSQ. Some of that stuff could stay in the game as a literal side quest and you'd lose absolutely nothing. I am almost level 60 and I didn't even start HW.

How many wipes to the yeti?

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Tried the 71 dungeon as an AST, I ran out of buttons on the first double pull, and had to resort to just mainlining Benefic IIs into the tank with them hovering just above 10%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjWe31S_0g

Few pages old, but Scholar's Aetherflow has the same problem now.

The dungeons in Shadowbringers hit like a truck unless you're stat capped. The same was kinda true for SB, but it's definitely more exaggerated here. The tankbusters on bosses are serious business now too.

Of course, AST just needs some potency buffs as well.

Banjo Kaczynski posted:

main complain I've heard is that no energy drain means you can't dump aether stacks anymore

It's this, more than anything. The lack of DoTs does feel really bad against bosses, but it's fine. I've been slowly leveling SCH the past couple days and I've only a few times used all of my Aetherflow before refreshing it. Either Energy Drain or something like it should be added back in, or wasted Aetherflow should just automatically be converted to MP so I can spam Art of War more.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 8, 2019

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
drat, was thinking of picking up AST as a healer so I can have quick queue times and be loved by all, but that got cured the second I read what everyone thought of them. Yikes!

Anyway, thinking of picking up a new class at level 50 since NIN feels wonky to me because it's kinda hard to dial up ninjutsu stuff AND do combos for me. How does Red Mage play?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Spoiler pic bandwagoning

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
So the Nier: Automata raid...

Doing side quests out of Tomra: The dwarves refer to their robo frogs as "automata", and one of the dwarf tribes apparently found a massive graveyard of machines, with two named twins in matching black/white outfits apparently having plans for "world domination" out of it, though the quests end fairly quickly and not much else is explained. That's absolutely gonna be where the Nier:Automata tie in is, isn't it?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SunAndSpring posted:

drat, was thinking of picking up AST as a healer so I can have quick queue times and be loved by all, but that got cured the second I read what everyone thought of them. Yikes!

Anyway, thinking of picking up a new class at level 50 since NIN feels wonky to me because it's kinda hard to dial up ninjutsu stuff AND do combos for me. How does Red Mage play?
Don't rely on other people's opinions completely, they're often biased in a way you won't be if you pick up a job from scratch (ie. you don't know the "good old days :corsair:" they're missing and maybe you like enough about the job that it makes it okay to live with the new card mechanics).

Of course the "problem" with healers is there's no shortcut to a level where you have most tools in order to see how they really play. AST at 30 is not complete, WHM starts at 1 and SCH starts as a level 1 DPS job. You could try Palace of the Dead but that doesn't really challenge your healing. I really hope they add another healing job next expansion.

RDM is pretty straightforward and a good "beginner" job IMO, because it's just complex enough it lets you focus on the environment and mechanics most of the time, instead of trying to min-max three bars full of DoTs, buffs and combos.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

orcane posted:

Don't rely on other people's opinions completely, they're often biased in a way you won't be if you pick up a job from scratch (ie. you don't know the "good old days :corsair:" they're missing and maybe you like enough about the job that it makes it okay to live with the new card mechanics).

Of course the "problem" with healers is there's no shortcut to a level where you have most tools in order to see how they really play. AST at 30 is not complete, WHM starts at 1 and SCH starts as a level 1 DPS job. You could try Palace of the Dead but that doesn't really challenge your healing. I really hope they add another healing job next expansion.

RDM is pretty straightforward and a good "beginner" job IMO, because it's just complex enough it lets you focus on the environment and mechanics most of the time, instead of trying to min-max three bars full of DoTs, buffs and combos.

I've been doing Titania extreme with my husband for the last couple days and he's been a raid/ex trial healer since HW. He was extremely stressed out trying to heal it as AST. It's difficult and it's awkward and that just isn't the case for the other healers. Not to mention, WHMs deal 4k+ dps easily while having an easier time healing.

And even in dungeons, AST damage is bad and the healing toolkit is underwhelming. They're in a really bad spot right now, but most of the issues will be solved by increasing the potencies on pretty much everything they do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

orcane posted:

I really hope they add another healing job next expansion.
Gunfixer

edit: Unbreaker

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Spoiler pic bandwagoning:

but slighty different angle because I forgot to take a screenshot mid cutscene

This game is so good.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Post-79 Trial spoilers:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Krabboss posted:

I've been doing Titania extreme with my husband for the last couple days and he's been a raid/ex trial healer since HW. He was extremely stressed out trying to heal it as AST. It's difficult and it's awkward and that just isn't the case for the other healers. Not to mention, WHMs deal 4k+ dps easily while having an easier time healing.

And even in dungeons, AST damage is bad and the healing toolkit is underwhelming. They're in a really bad spot right now, but most of the issues will be solved by increasing the potencies on pretty much everything they do.

Don't get me wrong, I see how AST is pretty lovely to play right now, but I still advise against dismissing a job completely based on third party testimonials. By the time they level an AST from 30 to wherever healing becomes stressful, perhaps AST gets buffs and fixes already. It sucks you can't really try them in relevant content before that and potentially waste the time spent leveling. But then again, maybe in the future they'll cripple the other healers instead and then you're glad you have done AST :v:

Otherwise just buy a WHM jump potion because WHM owns.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Titania ex has like no damage happening, so my kneejerk reaction is just that they're grumpy with ast changes moreso than the job not being able to heal

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

There's only one part of Titania EX that takes a lot of healing throughput and even then it's only if a warrior is the MT.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

super sweet best pal posted:

Post-79 Trial spoilers:

The entire post-79 stuff made me feel more helpless than any other game ever has and it ruled.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Minrad posted:

Titania ex has like no damage happening, so my kneejerk reaction is just that they're grumpy with ast changes moreso than the job not being able to heal

Him and every other AST, I guess. Just for no reason, probably!

It's less of a problem now that we have the clear and don't have to team with people who eat unnecessary damage, that is true. You're still doing less damage and less healing as an AST compared to WHM though. And healing a Holmgang'd Warrior or a DRK who used Living Dead isn't especially fun as AST.

And like I said, the same is true in dungeons. They're less good at handling massive pulls than a WHM, both because of less bursty healing as well as the fact WHM can just permastun trash.

orcane posted:

Don't get me wrong, I see how AST is pretty lovely to play right now, but I still advise against dismissing a job completely based on third party testimonials. By the time they level an AST from 30 to wherever healing becomes stressful, perhaps AST gets buffs and fixes already. It sucks you can't really try them in relevant content before that and potentially waste the time spent leveling. But then again, maybe in the future they'll cripple the other healers instead and then you're glad you have done AST :v:

Otherwise just buy a WHM jump potion because WHM owns.

I see your point, yeah. Don't buy jump potions though, leveling to 80 takes no time. And I've been stuck in dungeons with people who've used jump potions several times this week and it's truly awful.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 8, 2019

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I have not heard any other ast say they can't heal titania ex

They've also always been the weakest dungeon healer for four years running, so I'm not sure why that's a shocking adjustment either. Maybe the only time they've been better is compared to scholar at stormblood launch

Ast probably needs their healing potencies bumped by 5% but it's not an unplayable train wreck that deserves insane hyperbole.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Astroniomix posted:

There's only one part of Titania EX that takes a lot of healing throughput and even then it's only if a warrior is the MT.

Do you mean fae light? It's meant to be a shared tankbuster, it's pretty easy to deal with if the tanks actually split it, but even solo it's not a big deal stacking cooldowns for it. Heck, warrior can just holmgang both that happen. Same deal for tether too, it's not lethal if the tank stacks cds for the second and third hits, as we learned when our add phases went so fast our pld didn't have hallowed come back up

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

Minrad posted:

Of course it's healable, easily, it's just not fun :rolleyes:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Krabboss posted:

Him and every other AST, I guess. Just for no reason, probably!

I'm an AST and I have no idea what your husband is talking about WRT healing Titania.

AST has also always sucked in dungeons so I'm not sure why these complaint are suddenly surfacing now.

Minrad posted:

Do you mean fae light? It's meant to be a shared tankbuster, it's pretty easy to deal with if the tanks actually split it, but even solo it's not a big deal stacking cooldowns for it. Heck, warrior can just holmgang both that happen. Same deal for tether too, it's not lethal if the tank stacks cds for the second and third hits, as we learned when our add phases went so fast our pld didn't have hallowed come back up

Bearing in mind I've only seen 2 warriors try it so far, the issue is that holmgang lasts about exactly as long as fae light so healers have to heal the first 1-2 hits and then get them back up to full again after the last hit, as opposed to the other 3 tanks who you can just prime horoscope and earthly star and then wait for the last hit then pop both of them to get the tank back up (or do nothing if the MT is a paladin). It's possible that both warriors I've run with were just monumentally stupid, the first run in particular the warrior was having such a hard time with it we just swapped the DRK into the main tank role, but that's my experience with the fight so far.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 8, 2019

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Minrad posted:

They've also always been the weakest dungeon healer for four years running, so I'm not sure why that's a shocking adjustment either. Maybe the only time they've been better is compared to scholar at stormblood launch

Ast probably needs their healing potencies bumped by 5% but it's not an unplayable train wreck that deserves insane hyperbole.

I never said AST can't heal Titania Ex either. Obviously he did it, because he got the clear. I just said it's the worst at it, and not terribly good in clear parties when you've got 4+ bad players doing their best to ruin the run for you.

Astroniomix posted:

I'm an AST and I have no idea what your husband is talking about WRT healing Titania.

AST has also always sucked in dungeons so I'm not sure why these complaint are suddenly surfacing now.

They're surfacing now, I imagine, because tanks need more babysitting this expansion and without the oGCDs of Scholar or the stun of WHM it's really exacerbating AST's shortcomings. I mean, AST is a nightmare to play just killing mobs in the field even.

Edit: There's one AST in the top 15 clears for Titania Ex on fflogs. Everybody is running WHM and SCH.

Krabboss fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 8, 2019

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished MSQ last night, I literally stayed up like seven hours longer than I should have to finish the end of it. It was spectacular. From the second half of Kholusia up until the final cutscene I was pretty much all in (with a minor "ehn okay i guess" at the fish people but it didn't last too long thankfully)

My only real complaint about the MSQ is that it is rather silly to have a level 79 quest require finishing a level 80 quest to continue. I feel that it could have been done better, tbh. Otherwise, stellar on just about every front.

Bandwagon

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

SPOILER BANDWAGON

whoops i mean

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Krabboss posted:

Edit: There's one AST in the top 15 clears for Titania Ex on fflogs. Everybody is running WHM and SCH.

That's almost purely because of how low AST's DPS is, their healing is more or less ok but they went overboard with the damage.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

for anyone else wanting to compare them, I overlaid the Norvrandt and Eorzea maps on each other.

Interesting that Gyr Abania and Xelphatol is there almost in full, and some of Dravania made it (although anything near Sohm Al and probably most of the hinterlands wouldn't have made it)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

SirSamVimes posted:

The entire post-79 stuff made me feel more helpless than any other game ever has and it ruled.

I was an emotional wreck the rest of the way through the MSQ.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Astroniomix posted:

That's almost purely because of how low AST's DPS is, their healing is more or less ok but they went overboard with the damage.

That's correct. They're not good in farm parties. I'm also saying they're not good in clear/learning parties, though. I dunno what your experience was with the clear, but we're just a group of 4 who have to rely on strangers to get the first kill before we can have an easy time doing anything. AST wasn't fun in clear parties this time, when that wasn't really the case in previous expansions.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

There are some beds that only potatoes can get to. /dozing in them results in these new animations. Thanks to Yapping Eevee for help recording them.

Also, bandwagonposting:

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Was this on Reddit or something? I'd be interested in poking through those results

Please be aware that this is a Japanese translation of English reddit poll results. It's a nice graph, but yeah, NA/EU, not JP polling.

I've been having better luck with Nocturnal Sect in dungeons now, oddly enough. Don't really like it and I'd like to go back to diurnal, but when I swapped over suddenly tanks weren't getting chunked anymore.

Just don't forget aspected benny costs twice as much for noct.

orz

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 8, 2019

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Krabboss posted:

I'm also saying they're not good in clear/learning parties, though.

Why not?

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

So my chocobo hit rank 10 and I see from googling that I need to buy Thavnairian Onion to get him to the next rank. However, those are a whopping 600k a piece on my server! Is that normal? Is that worth it? (I guess that's a personal opinion question.)

Am I able to use the world visit feature to buy from other servers' auction houses? Or is the whole data center on the same AH anyway?

There's two sidequests that reward a single onion each. At level 50, in the market area of Ishgard, visit Mathye. At level 57, go see Hervoix in the Dravanian Forelands.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
The card changes are like the only good thing about new AST, I have no clue why that'd be brought up as a bad thing

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Krabboss posted:

That's correct. They're not good in farm parties. I'm also saying they're not good in clear/learning parties, though. I dunno what your experience was with the clear, but we're just a group of 4 who have to rely on strangers to get the first kill before we can have an easy time doing anything. AST wasn't fun in clear parties this time, when that wasn't really the case in previous expansions.

Why? You keep saying they're bad/not fun, but haven't given any reason or explanation for that. Fun is subjective and you can at least point to the changed card system for that, but aside from numbers tweaking and the loss of opposition on stacked hots, nothing has changed for their healing model. They even have multiple new oGCD heals, so I really don't know what the problem is unless you can state one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Minrad posted:

Why? You keep saying they're bad/not fun, but haven't given any reason or explanation for that. Fun is subjective and you can at least point to the changed card system for that, but aside from numbers tweaking and the loss of opposition on stacked hots, nothing has changed for their healing model. They even have multiple new oGCD heals, so I really don't know what the problem is unless you can state one.

I have. Now post your parses.