Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I spent all night making a level. Time well spent.

March of the Ant Hill: 6BL-0MV-Q1G

Just a 3D World level I made to acquaint myself with the new style and also with slopes. Also ants. Lots of ants. Ant troopas are the cutest.

I literally can't stay awake any longer but I'm excited to try some levels from the thread tomorrow :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
EDIT: Redone

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 29, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Random Stranger posted:

Very cool and I liked how you used the semi-solids to set up the crushers. But the level is so dense with things that I was running out of time before I hit the first checkpoint.

You're right. I kind of wanted players to go slowly at times to take caution of the spikes but the time limit kind of urges you to hurry at others. I shouldn't of messed with it.

Wah, I hate when you upload a level and wanna change one thing but don't want to delete it.

EDIT: Heck, I decided to just reupload it.

Skewering Sand Dunes: 5R1-VGM-Q6G

Its a level with sand dunes! And spikes! Giant spikes impaling you viciously. I got an idea of the skewers erupting out of the sand like giant worms and had to try making a level based around it.

Also if any of you have feedback on making traditional style levels better I'm open to it. I think with Mario Maker I'm good with aesthetics and, uh, no much else.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 29, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Random Stranger posted:

The "don't be an rear end in a top hat" lesson exists, though. Sadly they just stick to offscreen thwomps.

I suspect that 90% of the people who desperately need the dojo will never visit it.

They should of locked complex course parts behind it. I sat through all the dojo lessons just for the sake of it and was surprised it gives you literally nothing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Story mode is a weird feeling because sometimes I'll be playing a level and dreading an inevitable dick move, only for it to be sensibly designed instead. Its like... the levels were made by actual devs or something! :regd09:

Then I play a near-identical level in course world and die to a hidden coin block over a pit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm kind of upset that they didn't include the loving bookmark site.

Downloading levels by typing codes in gets so drat tedious. When they added that site it was one tap good to go. It made sharing so much easier. Now its lovely again!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any way we can delete/alter a code on the goon spreedsheet? I redid one of my levels but don't wanna upload a duplicate onto the sheet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DalaranJ posted:

You can comment on the sheet, or here and I'll fix it for you.

e: Removed the old Deep Forest Deeps, BabyRyoga

Ah, I just reuploaded "Skewering Sand dunes" to change the timer, so the code is now 5R1-VGM-Q6G

Thanks so much for all the work you're putting into this spreed sheet! Also the goon random level website is cool as hell and is gonna make playing through all these levels so much easier.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Played some levels randomly via the code thing, here are ones that stood out to me for one reason or another:

Abyssal Adventure: This could be tuned a lot better but I think the core concept was super neat. I actually didn't realized while descending that I would have to go back up after hitting the on/off switch, and that made this level pretty unique!

The Chomp Pipes: I like the pipe scenery but this was pretty frustrating at times with how fast some chomps came out and their erratic movement. Also forcing you to go through a pipe enemies are coming out of to progress is usually a dick move!

8-3's Revenge: Hammer bro are notoriously bullshit so any course featuring them in abundance has to be designed really well, and for the most part I think you actually pulled that off. Good spacing and use of terrain to make approaching the hammer spam manageable.

Buzzy Beanstalk: I really wanted to like this because i like the theme and scenery but its just not fun. Precision platforming on buzzy beetles like this is a mess. Also the very start of the stage is set up in a way where its not immediately clear how you progress and its pretty easy to kill yourself in what is supposed to be a harmless intro. Just a sign that this course needs a lot more tweaking.

Spooky Star: Really loved the lighting effects you used here, but I seemed to soft lock myself by getting the star and not moving fast enough.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well I'm back on my bullshit and made a longform themed level that pushed the part limits to their boundaries. I even got to experience the frustrating subplatform placement issue where they start disappearing! Just like Mario Maker 1. Good times :downs:

Rusting Rotted Shroomworks: 7JR-74F-7QF

I hadn't seen many people utilize the rotten shroom so I made a level based around it. I always enjoyed making longer levels with a little narrative in MM1, so I tried to do that here. The quality of those levels always varied wildly though so I dunno if this will actually be enjoyable. I tried my hardest though!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NofrikinfuN posted:

I made it, but now I can't look at mushrooms without developing anxiety.

Great level, great theme. You definitely have a knack for suspense. The grabbers can be a little... spontaneous, at times. Also, why are those chain chomps so long? :gonk:

Thank you! But yeah, I have no clue what to deal is with chomps in this game. Their chain feels like twice as long as it was in MM1 and there's no way to adjust it. There's some other minor differences between MM1 enemies and their MM2 incarnations, and I'm not a fan of some of em.

Rollersnake posted:

Oh, hey, good to see you back. I loved your Mario Maker 1 levels, and can't wait to play your new stuff.

Wow, that's really flattering!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Macaluso posted:

I kind of wish I could see the boos to likes ratio of my levels...

I kind of do too, but at the same time it would be demoralizing for most people. Plus I highly doubt boos do much of anything outside of two cases; filtering levels for multiplayer and weeding out extreme edges of truly awful levels that get boo'd into oblivion.

Speaking of multiplayer, it sure is fun when it works. Too bad a lot of the time time it doesn't :geno:

https://twitter.com/Web_Kraken/status/1145775991224033280

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

raditts posted:

Finally getting time to play this after getting it on Friday. Is the multiplayer jittery poo poo for anyone else, or is it just that my internet is gabage? It's a 100mbit connection so I figured it shouldn't have that much trouble keeping track of 4 jumping marios.

Its like that for everyone. Some matches run fine, other times its literally unplayable. Surprise surprise, Nintendo half-assed their online again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is anyone else already completely sick of on/off switches

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Spoiler: The level you design to be as gentle and merciful as possible will still end up with an abysmal clear rate

Macaluso posted:

I've got bad news about the first SA MM2 Jam

Yeah, honestly despite wanting to participate I really don't even wanna bother with this one. I'm just so sick of switches. Seen them everywhere online.

Then again I could always make a level around the old faithful P switch.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does anyone know if Charvargh's placement matters at all aside from the initial fall? He always seems to act exactly the same regardless of where you place em.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm starting to realize I can't make levels interesting when they aren't moderately challenging.

How I add interest to my levels is always to just put in a tricky situation. Which is fine if that's what you're looking for, but most people suck at this game so it makes my levels inaccessible. If I try and make an intentionally easy one its either dull or I muck it up adding "a little bit of challenge".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PantsBandit posted:

Make the levels you find fun, don't worry about anyone else. There are plenty of people out there who want the challenge and I'm sure they'll be grateful, even if it doesn't get seen by the masses.

But I need likes to feel validated about spending hours on this :saddowns:

Really, I'm always gonna make harder levels, but I think learning how to make an easy but interesting level is a valuable skill. I just don't really 'get it'. I've tried doing things that feel hard but aren't difficult to actually execute, but the problem with that is people will always gently caress it up in ways you never imagined. Then it becomes an actual, difficult obstacle in what's supposed to be an easy level.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

eonwe posted:

if it helps, when I streamed I mentioned your name and that i liked your levels and at least 2 people verified that your levels are indeed very good

Yeah I'm surprised I have people that actually like my levels enough to recognize my name.

And really, likes don't matter at all since your upload limit isn't tied to it anymore. Mario Maker 1 wired me into fixating on them way too much since I was sharing my profile with my little brother and we had very limited level space due to that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NofrikinfuN posted:

Honestly, I'm jealous of your ability to vary your terrain and make everything feel organic. I can't wrap my head around that level of aesthetic design and always wind up with very square, flat and stale designs. I also have trouble making a level that feels like more than a mechanics showcase that transitions from set piece to set piece.

I know my opinion doesn't mean anything particularly, but I enjoyed your rotten mushroom level and I'm sure I remember enjoying your levels in the original as well. Keep doin' what you do.

Thanks. As an artist, personal anecdotes like this actually mean way more to me than tons of likes or whatever. I know from experience that a huge number of likes becomes numb after a long time, but someone personally commenting to say they enjoy the stuff you make never stops feeling good. That's why whenever I really enjoy a piece of art (or level in this case) I leave a comment.

Aesthetic design is actually something I do think I'm good at in this game (not that you have a ton to work with). Slopes are huge boon in that regard; they look soooooo much better than blocks when you're trying to make a hill, and generally a passage with curves will look more appealing than a plain old box. Thwey're bit clunky too use but once you get the hang of em you'll always wanna use em. Plus they're not just for looks since everyone loves sliding into stuff!

someone awful. posted:

I think it's cool to see people working on similar levels and see what they/we all do differently with it, personally. :shobon:

Yeah that's my favorite part of contests and such; seeing people's take on one idea or theme.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Got around to playing some more Goon levels;

Luigis Revenge-er: Usually don't like negative reviews but this was just miserable. Intentional dick move levels need some really clever theming to make the player put up with bullshit. This had none.

Going Down The Big Tree: i really liked this one! The level design played into the theme and transitioned into different sections very nicely.

Cave Adventure: I liked this one because was basically just one big slope. i like to slide. Its fun.

Castle Siege: I enjoyed being able to actually take the fireclown car through an air stage without it being an autoscroller. Mostly fine, but it felt a bit spammy at times. The second part of the level feels very anticlimactic compared to the first though, and the boss fights are very uninspired in that regard.

Question: Would it be possible to add a "Critique Me" tag to the goon spreedsheet? I'm hesitant to say stuff about some levels since I have no idea if the people that made them want people to pick apart their designs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Finished another course! :toot:

Carnival of Calamity: 6W9-96X-JTF

Its a carnival! Its full of fun! And explosions! And a giant lava serpent trying to incinerate you!

Really its a fairly tough (I think) level that involves a lot of weird layouts. It also involves backtracking with Charvaargh on your tail, so mind the fire.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fortis posted:

I... I didn't know Magikoopas could do this.
https://twitter.com/pkfortis/status/1146642114589016065

Sadly they cannot do this in 3D world.

eonwe posted:

speaking of course worlds, someone on reddit made a 32 level one as well

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/c8or4g/super_mario_maker_world_remix_a_full_32course/

Man I thought I played this too much. How much would you have to have played to make 32 levels already???

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
More goon levels!

Midnight Fridge Run: I feel like there could of been more to this level, but it was interesting nontheless. Carrying a pow block to light up the dark feels like something you could build a very interesting stage around.

Ice Maker: I quit this level early because its absolutely not my kind of thing in terms of gameplay, but I liked it anyways because I thought the aesthetic was very good. That's something that usually gets ignored in precision jumping levels.

Dismal Dawn: Gave this a few shots. Couldn't tolerate it. I actually don't think the level design is bad at a glance but an aggressively paced autoscroller is difficult to pull off. The real problem to me is that you precede it with 20 seconds of platforming through an intro which is fine itself but very tedious on repeats. Really needs a checkpoint there.

Boos and Bones: I hate ghost houses. I didn't hate this level, because you actually put thought into designing it without being a huge dick. I actually enjoyed it! Only thing I'd say is you might wanna watch it with the dry bones spam; they're a very painful enemy in Mario World due to their obnoxious bone toss. Also I almost ran out of time and I didn't even really look for secrets, so if you want people to go for those you should be lenient with the timer.

Drop It Like It's Hot: I hate puzzle levels. Still enjoyed this because it was simple enough for my smooth brain to comprehend. Also appreciated there being some light platforming challenge involved in getting to the next part of each component.

Climb The Sky: Mostly enjoyed this one. It definitely needs some coins to serve as jump guides though. Also, designing it around another checkpoint would of been nice. Only one part was super difficult, but it was pretty long and not forgiving towards mistakes. That one long tunnel of pirahna pipes though felt totally impassable. I just damage boosted through it every time.

Overall, some pretty good levels!

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 4, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've yet to see a map tagged multiplayer versus that was actually good for versus. More often than not they contain tons of elements that are loving awful in versus.

Do people really not get that boss fights with keys slow everyone down to the same drat spot?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Macaluso posted:

gently caress the item limit goddamn. It's so fuckin restrictive in terms of decorating

Yeah it can be real rough, but just know that some people really appreciate your efforts in making a stage look nice :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Some more goon levels

Time-Traveling Pipes: All I could think of while playing this. Very solid basis for a level. I feel like you could of played it up more with some creative decorating, but the level plays fine and the gimmick was enjoyable instead of annoying like these levels tend to usually be.

Father Son Fortress: Enjoyed this level a lot up until the Bowser fight which sucked. I get that its a recreation of his SMB3 fight but its soooo tedious with how Bowser's AI works in this game. Very good traditional level otherwise.

Button Bastion: Good use of red yoshi which I haven't seen much of. The crane puzzle seemed really obtuse compared to the others, but overall pretty good.

Fireball Fracas: Simple but enjoyable, I like seeing levels themed around just one piece like this.

Super Mario Starfield!: Really nice decorating and designing around the theme! Definitely sold me on the space vibe. All I'd say is I feel like you could of made it feel more like an asteroid storm with an off-screen lakitu throwing.... something. Not sure what, and I know its hard to balance around that. That's more just me throwing my own idea at the theme though; what you put out is great!

Hammer Hideout: Lot of hammer bros (obviously) but didn't feel unfair, which is a rarity with these fuckers. So good job with that.

Ya'll make such nice levels! Wish I had time to play em all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What are all these "speedrun" levels I see in the popular courses? Are some of them actually levels meant to be played fast or are they all literally holding right and pressing a?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Made a level I'm really interested in feedback on!

Keys of the Lilliput River: 80P-BQ4-B1G

Its a course where after the intro, you need 5 keys to progress. However there are 10 keys total hidden in the village, so you don't have to find every last one. Its meant to be a more mellow sort of experience, tracking downs keys in the jungle village and river below. I tried not to focus on making it difficult, so hopefully its accessible to most players.

Wondering if I pulled off this concept well or if it was just annoying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A handful of Mario

AbeO1: Seemed like an okay traditional course but pretty short. There wasn't much meat to it, but I enjoyed what was there.

I Want to Be an Air Pirate: Solid airship level though the mushrooms felt a bit too generous.

Uncle Autoscroll's Spookhouse: Interesting concept but expecting the player to hunt down red coins in the dark during an autoscroller is a bit crazy. I could make it through the scroller but kept dying looking for coins which got annoying fast.

Mario Mining Company Interview: I loved this level! Up until I played it I didn't even now builder Mario could make his own boxes. Great showcase of a mechanic I had literally never seen utilized in a level! Also it looked really nice too, which is rare for a 3D world level.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Trying to do a blitz entry now... it feels really weird trying to make a course with powerups but no blocks to put them in.

Are we allowed to use parts for purely decorate purposes if they are in positions that have no impact on gameplay?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DarkLich posted:

This was a well done level, thanks for making it. You were smart to put a check point right before the key collection. The visual design is really smart, and you're right before the cusp of having too many elements. I liked the fishing poles and the boat. There were a few problem areas with enemy density (in particular around the key coins), but that's hard to design for when you have a level that explores both directions.

Would definitely be interested in checking out more of this nature!

Also, another goon recommendation while I'm at it: Koopa Harbour - 4S2-GQT-FYG

Aww, thank you! I was worried I didn't execute the concept well but I'm glad you enjoyed it. You're right about enemy density; I always put in too much. I need to learn that less can be more usually.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lastdancer posted:

I just started work on my Multiplayer Versus level. Are there any do's and don'ts I should be aware of? (beyond "just don't")

This is based entirely on my experience in multiplayer;

-Do not use loving On/Off switches where they are necessary to progress. These are impossible to work with in versus because obviously nobody is going to cooperate. Dotted line block platforming is a nightmare when 3 other people can hit the switch and gently caress you over.

-Any autoscrolling elements (snake blocks, tracks, etc.) are bad because the first player to reach them basically wins.

-You should try to design the start of your stage with 3 or 4 paths with a powerup in each. The beginning of versus is always a clusterfuck with people camping the ? block for a mushroom. Designing your map to get most player a powerup and moving along is great.

-Your level needs to function properly for the player in the lead and the players lagging behind. This means you can't rely on elements that only trigger properly when you load them in the first time. For example, don't design a hyper specific platforming segment with parakoopas or something because only one player can jump off them.

-If you put a boss fight with a key in your level I will go out of my way to boo your course later

Beyond that I'd say just play a lot of multiplayer versus and see what works and what doesn't (spoiler: a lot doesn't). Versus is really fun with a good stage and the online not being poo poo, but barely anyone designs with it in mind. Even most stages tagged with "multiplayer versus"usually contain so many elements that straight up don't work with multiple players. Its gotten to the point where I think people just tag any stage multiplayer because they hope it means it'll get played more.

I really wish you could tag a stage to be EXCLUDED from multiplayer, because I really don't like the idea of my stages designed for one and only one person ruining a versus match.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Lobster posted:

I'd just like to know what is making my levels Airship Panic (MX8-NYN-RG5) and Pirate's Cove (FFJ-TS1-20H) so enticing to Multiplayer Versus? They've both got over 20 plays in that mode where all my other levels none have over 4.

I'd really like to know what I did right so I can repeat it on purpose this time.

FYI your first code is wrong.

I really don't know why the multiplayer algorithm would favor these levels. I assume its simply because they've been liked by a good number of people playing multiplayer, which makes sense, but neither is designed for multiplayer and one is actively bad for it.

Airship Panic is fine, nothing amazing but nothing bad either and that's really all you need for a good multiplayer match. It doesn't have any of the elements that ruin most normal maps when thrown into multiplayer, so people can just run through it. Also the powerup isn't right at the start so that beginning scramble that makes everyone salty and mad gets delayed and spaced out better.

Pirate's Cove though... I have no clue why people would like this as a multiplayer level. Cause its really bad as one. Right off the bat it has a clear condition which is awful for multiplayer. But it also has a ton of precision swimming that is okay alone but I imagine is a total nightmare with 4 players bouncing off each other.

Nebrilos posted:

I've uploaded my first ever course yesterday:

Sky Seeker
8VQ-QCX-41H

It's based around snake blocks. I tried to design it to be stressful, but not terribly difficult. Give me feedback! Currently it has no plays at all.

By the way, does anyone know how to update an uploaded course? I want to change the description to something better and make a few changes to the course, but even when I do, the version that is in Course World doesn't update. I can't reupload it either, because "upload" is greyed out.

No offense intended but this is really rough. It has a number of bad decisions and overall just isn't fun.

The biggest problem is that its just too spammy. When you make levels like this, every projectile should have a purpose. The player should be able to focus on them and know what is coming there way. This level just has so much spam, a lot of which is irrelevant and just clutters the screen. Its really hard to keep an eye on the movement of the snake block and the flood of bullet spam.

But also it just has a number of design decisions that just make no sense. Why is the check point on donut blocks? That makes the player wanna quickly move off them onto the snake block, but doing that ASAP causes the snake block to cover up the mushroom cannon. Why does the level end with a hail of koopas that almost almost all miss the platform? Why does this level even have a checkpoint when its so short?

Now, for a first level you at least put effort and thought into it, so don't get discouraged. I'm just being honest about how I felt playing it. If you want to edit this you'll have to delete the original version before uploading it again. You can't actually edit courses once they've been submitted without removing them first.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 7, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
More Goon More Mario

Cap'n Calamari's Sky Brigade: Pretty decent level, but the fireflower totally trivializes it, especially the boss fight. Also if you're gonna design a level around blooper you should build with more verticality in mind to accommodate for their AI movement. Subplatforms or blocks would allow the player more angles to jump on em. I'm nitpicking though; the stage was fun and functional, which is what matters most.

Bullet Festival: I died on this stage because someone strategically placed a comment to cover up a pit, so that's something.

Really though this stage is fine, if a bit short. My only real criticism is that the Boom Boom fight is even easier than your standard "boom boom in a box" setup. The bees aren't aggressive enemies and you can just stand on the cannons to render Boom Boom harmless.

Ant Army Escape: This was fun and cute! Didn't expect this kind of level from the title. Admittedly, I'm biased towards any level that features ant troopers heavily because they are adorable.

Head in the clouds: Another decent level by CoolGuy, no surprise there. I'd say this one is just the right length for its difficulty, as opposed to Bullet Festival which was really short.

October Sky: Gave this level two real attempts. Dying in the autoscroller is just too painful. This really needs a checkpoint, and I know that means sacrificing the theme of the clear goal, but mechanics need to take precedence over window dressing.

Stormy Skyway: Really nice airship aesthetic I hadn't seen before. Enjoyed this level enough to play it again just too unlock the red door. Good work.

Tricky Tiered Tower: This level felt all over the place, which I guess is the point, but it didn't really feel executed well. Just kind of a mediocre spattering of mechanics, with not enough time given to any of em to really create an interesting experience. Also ending this mishmash of enemies and traps on a completely standard Boom Boom fight is anticlimactic, to say the least.

Midnight Star: I beat it but didn't really enjoy it. Just felt frustrating due to the wind messing up my jumps.

Mario the Roguelite: I think this is a super cool concept! I really like the idea of gearing up to fight Bowser in a Mario level. That said, the layout of this felt rather haphazard, and it could do with a lot of improvement. The core idea is super unique though, and I'd love to see a more refined version of this level.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Made a level designed for versus multiplayer.

RACE: Alpine Pipeline: 8X9-YJY-8PF

At least, its supposed to be meant for multiplayer. Not a terrible hard level you're meant to run through as quickly as you can. You can still play it alone but it'll be really easy if you don't try to go fast.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you ever wanna be instantly demoralized just watch a popular streamer play this game and get more plays and likes than you have total on one mediocre stage :saddowns:

DorianGravy posted:

I'd like to make a crumbling cathedral level. Is there any simple way of making things (preferably blocks or other solid objects) fall from the ceiling as Mario passes nearby/underneath?

Tracks. Make a track, place something on it, and then tap one of the ends. This will make anything on the track fall off when they reach the end. Blocks placed on tracks lose all collision with the ground (but not the player!) so you could make a bunch of tracks with blocks on them and hide them out of the players view up above. This would create the effect of falling objects.

How good of a level you can make with random blocks falling from the sky is debatable though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 8, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A little bit of Goon Mario

Unleash the Madlads: Don't make boss fights with respawning powerups. That's just bad and lazy design. It tells me you don't have enough confidence in the fight you designed to beat it without having to tank damage constantly. Which was weird since the boss of this stage wasn't even hard.

Other than that, it was a fine stage. Didn't really see any huge problems other than the aforementioned poor boss design.

Don't Warp Desert: I have no clue what was going on with this level. Felt like you had a unique idea to work with in the player needing to avoid warp boxes, but you included a bunch of confusing nonsense that had nothing to do with it. Everything felt out of place and left me with little desire to actually play this, despite being interested initially.

Mario in the Whale: What a bizarre level. I'll echo what others have said that the intro to this level is just way too annoying. Bumper spam is really hard to navigate. Also, I don't feel like the theme of this level was sold super well. It didn't really feel like the 'worms' did anything, and their presence was more or less irrelevant. I was really sour on this level, but the end with the blowhole twister made me smile, so it has some merit. And at least you did try to do something unique with this bizarre theme, which I think deserves some appreciation.

If you or anyone else wants to make a disgusting vore level for some reason, I recommend using the SMW aquatic theme for it. You can make a background of the red coral. Combined with red blocks its as close to an organ appearance as you can get I think. Spamming the heartbeat sound effect can sell it even more. I did this for a level back in Mario Maker 1 and it worked surprisingly well.

Forest Vault Raid : I was gonna play more levels but this one took me like 30 fuckin minutes.

I hate spin jumps so right out of the gate this was not the stage for me. I wanna get better at them though so I was determined to beat it. It felt very overwhelming and frustrating but I think its one of those stages that wants to be. I'm not a good judge of them. All I know for sure is that you put in an effort to make it look nice which is appreciated.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just found out there's an achievement for getting 1000 plays on a single course.

Maybe I'll get that in 2025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
FWIW I think people should play at least one level for every one they upload. Honestly, more than that. Not saying it should be an enforceable rule or anything but it helps make this thread feel more like a community than just people tossing their levels into a pile and hoping one person sifts through it.

Playing levels is pretty important anyways because it gives you new ideas, shows you what other people enjoy, and shows you what does NOT work. Even playing a bad level can help you as a creator. I mean stuff like kaizo blocks are obviously bad but there might be things you never thought about before that are actually really crummy to experience during a level.