Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I posted my first level!!! It's a tall level as I wanted to try and make one and see how the camera handles scrolling. I'm not sure how fun they're going to be given how it's handled (Mario is always in the middle of the screen instead of at the bottom like he should be)

If you wanna give it a shot it's QX7-B2C-8VF. Not gonna post every code like this (unless others start doing it) but thought it would be worth it as a example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

eonwe posted:

ive played every level posted so far

really enjoyed all the creativity :)

:buddy:

Anyone know how to raise your upload limit? I have 32 hearts on my first course and can upload 32 stages so wondering if it's just tied to that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

GG6 - N0S - KNG

New level up, tried to make it have a fun cloudy theme :shobon:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want people to know that I got a lot of activity on my first level and the game gave me a sweater with a gif of fried chicken on it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'd say that the limit probably increases with the hearts you get. At least I hope so as I had 70 stages uploaded by the end of MM1 :ohdear:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So uh, warning that if you hit delete on course world you aren't given a "are you sure" prompt :smith:

My first course that people seemed to like just died because I wanted to check all the death markers and I misclicked thanks to my d-pad, so I'm a bit heartbroken.

It's back up as 85K-34R-7MF

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Guys it's midnight, dark out and I'm thirsty. I gotta go downstairs and get a drink to cool off.

Midnight Fridge Run
DKQ - 3G0 - 97G

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I went ahead and unlocked the Super Ball and made a level with it, meant to be a fun way to collect coins. Threshold is pretty low but hey maybe you can get a high score???

Other is just a tough 3D World stage as I wanted to try and make one :shobon:

Coin Ball Bash: 1KP - 7FQ - FQF
Bullet Festival: HV0 - 64L - 2NF

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wow online is actually unplayable. Has Nintendo ever fixed it's games in the past because it's a utter slideshow

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't figure out Buried Stones in story mode and it's driving me crazy help

yoshi hongry

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I get some feedback on this stage? I'm really proud of it and hoping everything works as intended :shobon:

Jungle Crawl
1HS - 1K0 - T1H

I worked hard on it!! It's a standard course like most of em I make, but I tried to use a lot of 3D World exclusive elements.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair enough! Was trying to think of a way to keep players riding the flying ants and due to there being water no matter what on forest stages falling into a pit didn't seem like a good option so had to make due with something else (that fit the theme I was going for anyway.)

As for the plants making you wait I couldn't figure out how to get them pre-extended so they're retracting in time for players to arrive so there is a little bit of waiting for them to pass as I wanted to give them enough room to be seen. I'll have to poke around more at those issues!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Waking up and reading about speedrunning Jungle Crawl makes me happy :v:

Woke up and had this idea for a enemy takedown stage. Can you restore peace to the jungle?
The Wetland Warlords
MSQ - 4PQ - T1H

Alternate title is Mario: First Blood.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The new Builder Power seems a bit odd to use- but I still tried to make a level where you can play with it in various THRILLING ways. It was going to serve as a tutorial for some of it's abilities but quickly turned into a actual full blown stage :v:

Meowser's Bad Breakup
P5N - XFG - 5SF

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They updated NSMB's looks to actually be from U this time but I still can't bring myself to make levels in it now that 3D World is around. The insanely low framerate on enemies makes me want to die.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

cheetah7071 posted:

Nobody played this and I think it's about to fall off with no likes so I'll describe it a bit more like I should have done the first time

SMB1 chomp-themed platformer in the night desert (so wind pushing you back). I put a lot of thought into the aesthetics so comments on that specifically would be appreciated. I intended it to be a few deaths per checkpoint so let me know if I hit the difficulty target.

Did you take the level down? Code isn't working for me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

eonwe posted:

I played, and enjoyed your levels

Well gosh, thank you!

Running through a handful of goon levels now and trying to give them some attention :buddy:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Played some goon levels and I liked what I saw. Left little doodles for the stages but man it's *so* much harder drawing on this thing than it was on the wii-u

Fawf - Drop It Like It's Hot
Cute stage, took me a second to register what I was doing after my work with sideways thwomps but I enjoyed it. Platforming at the top of the screen is pretty rough though when you can't see where you are.

Intl Cron - Fiery-Fierce Dungeon Dash
The superball seemed a bit random but eh. Pretty nice stage honestly! Only thing of note is that I was forced to take a hit at the end with the bomb wall and I'm not sure if that's meant to happen or not. Was lucky to have a shroom.

Q_res - Boom-Boom's Unpaid Electric Bill
Level could use some lights closer to the ground as Buzzy Beetles kinda just pop out at you in this stage which kinda drags things to a crawl. Also took a handful of lumps from invisible blocks that had no tell (There was a red flying koopa that kept bonking me at one point because I kept hitting my head on the invisible staircase while trying to jump on him). Also the final Boom Boom looks like a forced hit? He just camped over the hole I had to jump up so that was a bit meh.
Not a bad stage but could use a few tweaks here and there to be more player friendly. Unless that's not the desired effect :v:

DorianGravy - Infiltrate Bowser's Airship
Really good classic level! No real complaints here. Only thing I'd say to be aware of is that the magikoopas in the first part were kinda useless. They kept teleporting onto the wrong side of walls and not doing anything :v: Good job guys.

The Awesomesaurus -Time-Traveling Pipes
Real cool theme that's handled well. I died a few times before the checkpoint for mostly stupid reasons but that's on me. Also the sound triggers were strange in the second part as it kept playing the mute music noise around the mole house so would get the happy music box jingle here and there :v:. For [i]whatever reason[/b] made me think about Chrono Trigger a lot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Q_res posted:

Thank you for the feedback, genuinely. On the Koopa thing, do you think just moving the Koopas a column away (i.e. spread them farther apart) from the invisible blocks would help? I was kind of going for that wall telling you there had to be hidden blocks to get you up there and making the player hunt for them just a little bit.

As for the last Boom Boom, he spawns in the far right corner of that room. If you're quick you can make it up there without taking a hit, and during playtesting, going back down to the bottom of the room leads up there lets you reset him. I'm just not sure how to communicate that they need to move quickly to the player.

Honestly would put some space between the koopa and the blocks yeah. I bounced off the first red koopa and thought "oh I need to jump on this next one to get up this ledge" so that's what I wound up doing attempting. Created the first line of steps then went for another koopa bonk as I thought that was it and well, got hit a second time :v:.

As for the Boom Boom moving too fast, may just want to create a situation where he can't block the hole. It's a dark level and the buzzy beetles being pitch black taught me that I want to move slowly, so entering a room and having to rush with no real warning isn't something I'm likely going to do.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This level is pretty simple honestly, but goodness it took a long time to build. I was tempted to make clear conditions to force people to explore and APPRECIATE MY ART but eh. I'm done counting pixels!!!!!!!

Giant Jumble
H2V - FXR - 1KG

It's a Mario 3 Level where I created the same stage twice in perfect detail to get the illusion across :shobon: Lotta little secrets for coins that will probably never be cared about.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

StabMasterArson posted:

Is having 0 plays for any of my levels after 3 days normal? I hope they dont delete unplayed ones like in MM1

Gimmie a code and I'll play one when I'm done making this course.

My battery started running low while creating and lmao I hope that's not a bad sign?????????

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm absurdly proud of how this one came out. I think it works on every level too, as a multiplayer course, singleplayer, speedrun etc. Least that's what I'm choosing to tell myself until otherwise. Please give it a shot and let me know what you think! (This took so much time to put together gosh)

Haunted Heights
K32 - K48 - TPG

I hope you like Clear Pipes!!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

karma_coma posted:

I got stuck I think ... I missed one of the red coins and couldn't go back? I really like the layout. Nothing better than a good ghost house.

If it's the mystery block one you can open the locked door you used to leave and go back and grab it.

There shouldn't be any softlocks, I think?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Had time for some Goon Stages

Icedude - Bowserrail
Might need to be workshopped more. As is it's absurdly easy and not super threatening. First part was me just jumpin up and down in place for a minute waiting to see if anything would happen. Second phase I skipped by bouncing off Bowser Jr's head and just taking the key and leaving and Third I just waited for bowser to walk away and got the switch. Might suggest more room too as most of it was just a giant bowser in my face roaring and I couldn't move until his AI finally told him to walk away.

Mooseontheloose - Super Happy Fun Slide
Wow.

Hansolio - Mt. Don't
Odd stage. The jumps feel kinda wonky and the fish surprised me. Asked myself what I was getting myself into then I beat the stage 10 seconds later. Also not sure how to do the spinjump part so just soaked a hit with a shellmet and ran over the munchers.

Salastine - Covetous Cliffs
Really fun traditional level where I got hung up trying to get coins and then got spooked into rushing to the end when the hurry up jingle hit :v:
No real complaints with this one, maybe make the timer slightly bigger? As for difficulty, I personally found it easy but some people absolutely cannot handle monty moles so I wouldn't sweat it if you're after kills

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't know how to edit the spreadsheet. Pipe Up got murdered by misclick and I had to reupload it later (There's a version on the sheet that's just Re-Up) :smith:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So scrolling stages going up are also a complete pain in the rear end, least with the goofy story I tried to make.

Mario (or his friends) have wandered into a part of the woods where adventurers are said to be disappearing. After searching he finds a strange pot cooking something- but as he approaches he's ambushed! A Magikoopa shrinks him and throws him in!! Help Mario escape and chase down the wizard to put a stop to his horrors!!

Magikoopa Hot Pot
MQP - 0RS - 07G

First time making a race stage in the second half so hope it came out good. I also tried to direct players on where to go inside the "pot" due to the limited screen space available. Lemme know if there's anything broken please!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think I love Mario Maker 2 you guys

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

alf_pogs posted:

:same:

hey is there a way to drop an empty spinning shell / beetle / spiny in maker mode? i can't seem to find how to make it happen

Bill Blaster is the only way

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was thinking about making a level that used the on/off switch for platforms normally but decided against it. Instead I made one of my first puzzle levels with a couple different switches. I don't think it's too hard outside the final task being tricky to time, but feedback would be nice in general.

Toxic Friendship
PMH - VKY - 3VF

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 1, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They look like angry koopa's with afros now

That is a image stuck in my head :psyduck:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Now that I have more sleep in me I'm finding a handful of softlocks in my puzzle stage I submitted. Is there any way to clear it from the entry list because I'm updating it right now to fix a lot of it's issues.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

E: Athletic usually just means it's fast paced and you'll be jumping a LOT over pits. Mario series always has a "athletic" theme for these levels which are high energy (yoshi's island had one too)

I just deleted my old Toxic Friendship stage and fixed it like I planned to, can I ask someone in the thread if I went over it enough? It's not that long and pretty straightforward.

Toxic Friendship
PMH - VKY - 3VF

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 1, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

J-Spot posted:

I'm getting course not found.

Fixed the code in my post, I typo'd :argh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Svdl posted:

I just played the older version through the Random Mario site earlier so I tried this one.
The content is much the same, though I'm guessing mechanically better?

It's a cool level, though I agree with the above comment about the spike part.

J-Spot posted:

I liked it most of it a lot but I found the spike top part to be kind of difficult relative to the rest of the stage, then I got impatient about having to do all the slower bits over and over and started dying early due to carelessness.

That's fair, I tried to put a wiggler down instead originally as it has a far more forgiving body, but wigglers fly in the night theme wouldn't you know it so that didn't work out quite like I hoped. Only other traveling enemies you can bounce off that would go down into the muncher pit that didn't die in one hit was the spike top so... I'm not sure how I could keep that particular part while making it easier.

And yeah, the new version just has
-One way tracks by the noteblocks. Figured you can jump up and ruin the puzzle if you hit them yourself
-Easier way to deal with the two koopa at the end
-Some slightly moved platforms to make things a bit more readable
-Fixed the little fluff ending I gave the stage as I had the blocks backwards.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 1, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Intl Cron posted:

As promised, here's some feedback on levels I've been churning through from the super-awesome [url="https:////https://randomactsofmario.com/"]Random Acts of Mario[/url] randomizer utility.

If anyone hasn't checked out that link/the spreadsheet of Goon levels, I highly highly recommend it as a way to experience actually sane Mario Maker levels. It's been a lot of fun, and it's also given me a ton of ideas for my own courses!

Let it be known that good feedback gives me life, even if it's critical. I'm really happy about it!!

E: I'm really pouring myself into a stage I'm making so I really, really hope it comes out just like I'd hope. I kept making medium length stages to keep it simple but this is a big one and I'm determined to make it a stand out.

E2:

Good Sphere posted:

How do you draw the non-solid decorative background tiles in the SMB1 style?

I noticed Nintendo of Japan’s Mario Maker account has comments turned off, so maybe there is a way?

Pick a Semi-Solid platform and just hide the tops of them, that's how most people do decorations/backgrounds for stages. Can tile them etc

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 1, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I spent literally all day making this level and touching it up. Any comments on it would be dearly loved cause man I'm legit really really proud of it.

Some new ruins were recently discovered and Mario's been asked to investigate. Turns out some of Bowsers minions have already started setting up there! Use their equipment to dig deeper into the caves and report back to Peach when you're done!

The Wrecking Ruins

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think the medals are broken. I killed myself at 110 Easy Endless Mario's and that medal isn't lit up with a record or anything. Currently on 20 something of Normal and still nada. Only medal I have is for maker points and it's gold but like, the points just seem to go up randomly.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lugaloco posted:

This was fantastic. Looks amazing, plays amazing. It flowed SUPER well from area to area with a lot of neat tricks that tied into the theme seamlessly.

I'm really happy you liked it!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm envious of people that can use the NSMBU style. I used it once out of sheer obligations but now that 3D World is in the game with actual models I can't be assed to look at absurdly low FPS magikoopas or whatever.

It's also why things don't stack in 3D World if you were wondering. NSMBU uses sprites with low framerates and not actual models so it can have a lot more goofy poo poo going on. 3D World is all models so I figured that's why you can't stack as they all have way more complex animations/lighting/etc.
I can't believe if you pause on Boom Boom he still has his cartoon-y smear animations for his fists when he's spinning. It's so drat good looking.

DorianGravy posted:

This was really well put together. I like the visual storytelling that people can people can do in this game. I wish they let you add a little more text to the description, though. I don't suppose there's any way of adding text within the level itself?

Thanks! And sadly no, the 75 character limit is kinda restricting. If you want to put any writing in the level you either have to
A: Spell things out in coins
(or)
B: Leave comments here and there and hope the player doesn't have them turned off.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm tired and had the random realization that Luigi is some kind of god in the mario-verse. If you gently caress up too many times in a level in story mode and game over he's just like "Yeah I'll just beat it for you" and he goes on to clear it first try.

What if he did that for online levels. Luigi just like, one shotting every bullshit kaizo super hard course on nothing but sight reads and skill. What is Luigi's power level when he's not being controlled by a mere human