Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I saw in the previews you could pin things in the Pallet. Does anyone know how to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ben Nerevarine posted:

This guy's feet must really be a sight

Kuribo is just the Japanese name for a Goomba.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spellman posted:

It would be cool if they added the Koopalings someday maybe based on Mario Bros 3

They have been quite requested would not be shocked to see them added in a later update.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lunar detritus posted:

Is there a way to flip an enemy? For example to make a Spike Top walk to the right.

They go whatever direction Mario is coming from I think.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just do what they did in Smash and make them reskins of Bowser Jr. I’d be satisfied.

I think they should have different behavior than Jr. Maybe be more aggressive movement wise and maybe each have a unique effect that can be applied.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SeANMcBAY posted:

That would be ideal. Especially for the more unique ones like Lemmy.
I personally would take inspiration from their fights across the series, along with a few other things to differ them.
For differing them from Jr I would have them more aggressive movement wise running around and jumping more than him, while not being quite as aggressive with fireballs. For the Koopalings themselves
Larry and Iggy are the basic types, jumping around and shooting fireballs.
Lemmy and Wendy are the special ammo types as they don't shoot fireballs.
Morton and Roy are the Heavy types, shaking the area with their jumps.
Ludwig is the Super Koopaling and is overall the most dangerous

Then we just need them all to have a form of uniqueness in one or two ways. As even Koopalings of the same type should feel different.

Robot Hobo posted:

Canonically, Bowser Jr. is Bowser's only offspring.
Think of the Koopalings as the Mushroom Kingdom equivalent of the Hitler Youth.

Though this was a retcon back in 2012.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The only thing that ever pegged the Koopalings as his kids were the lovely cartoon, which didn't even have their names right

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Can't take Screenshots but my first level is here.

Bowser's Boss Bash Castle
WBM-75X-MHF

Not super great, one area I would criticize myself in is that I did not take advantage of the lava level.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Remember how in some Mario 3/World levels, even when you were flying up, the screen didn't move? Is there any way to replicate that?

Getting the flute in Smb3 fortress is a prime example of this.

Also, are those huge white blocks (SMB3 palette) in the game, that let you go behind the scenery?

Maybe Scroll stopping blocks

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Course obsolete.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 4, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

J-Spot posted:

When you've already got the magikoopas dropping keys the clear condition is redundant and you lose the ability to put in a desperately needed checkpoint. Watch for having fish drop on players heads when they're stuck on a slow moving block.

Thanks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Updated

Kamek's Magic Mayhem Airship.

068-1SP-RKF

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looking forward to seeing what all the diffrences the Koopalings have.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SeANMcBAY posted:

Bowser in 3D World was a good boss since he was basically just a level.

And you can use him the sameway here.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Koopaling differences from experimenting with them.

Larry is default. He jumps around a bit and shoots fireballs, shooting them faster as he takes hits. Giving him wings makes do big jumps.
Iggy runs around back and forward making landing on him tricky, while shooting fireballs. His shell speed seems to be higher than the other koopalings. Giving him wings makes him short hop back and forth rather then run.
Wendy shoots rings that bounce around while jumping adding more rings that last longer as she takes hits. Giving her wings makes her leap higher. Unlike Larry she tends to stay more or less in place with these jumps.
Lemmy runs on his ball while launching balls that bounce you. He shoots more of them and faster as he takes damage. Giving him wings makes him bounce the ball he rides.
Roy burrows and pops out either on the ground or on the roof of the area he is in. Creating a shock wave and shooting fireballs between burrowing. Giving him wings makes him jump out of his burrows and fake you out by not always coming out when he first appears
Morton sends out fireballs that travel on the ground after doing a ground pound. Giving him wings causes him do to fake out ground pounds.
Ludwig sends out three fireballs at once and flies around between shots on his last hit he sends out five at once. Giving him wings causes him to fly around shooting multiple bursts of fireballs

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Little Mac posted:

So we tested a lot of things on tonight's stream. You can watch it here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/598939265?t=00h39m57s

(If the timestamp doesn't work, it's about 39 minutes in).

Some notable finds:

• So the Goomba Mask just kinda... turns off enemy AI. A charging Koopa Car will go back to sleep. Meowser walks back and forth. Even Charvargh just peeks his head out of the lava and goes back under. This works with EVERY ENEMY. It's the wildest thing I've ever seen.

• You can shell jump in SMB1 now. So expect that to be our new Hell.

• The SMB3 Bonus Game in World Maker is noticeably easier than the one in the original SMB3.

• Mario 2 music is in! Ground theme for anything outside. Underground theme for anything inside. Two boss musics, a bonus music, AND the Subcon potion music when you hit a P-Switch.

• Cloud Blocks make the most amazing horrified expression when you destroy them. It's gonna be my new emote.

• One interesting thing I found you can toss is the sideways spring. Could be fun for versus levels.

• Frog Mario has a very good P Speed animation once you get him running.

• P Balloon Mario can't seem to kill any enemies that I've found. Could be good for very tough levels that don't want to rely on just being boring old spike mazes.

• Squirrel Mario can latch onto walls just like in New Super U. It lasts just for a few seconds but the timer resets if you jump to another wall.

Watch the video for more!

Surprised you only experimented with Wings for Larry it changes all Koopaling behavior.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Macaluso posted:

That's what I was worried would be the case. Classic Nintendo

edit: :sigh: The bullet bill costume flies for SUCH a short time. You're absolutely killing me here Nintendo

7 seconds seems like a good amount of time to me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While I like the Super Mario World Style Koopalings. It's Ludwig was off to me and I just now figured out why. He lacks his bucktooth in that style.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SeANMcBAY posted:

He looks too much like his Mario 3 version.

You sure they look pretty different to me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Trying to go through making a game. And wanted to gather ideas for the second Fortress and Boss. I know I am going to use a Koopaling for the boss, but have not decided which one. (Only certain that I am not using Larry or Ludwig as Larry is the first world boss who I have already done and Ludwig is going to be the final one.

Also wanted some help in figuring out the theme and gimmick for the Fort. Larry's castle was themed around Firebars for example.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OneMoreTime posted:

By the by, here's the VOD and level list for last night's stream. Thanks to everyone who dropped by and submitted levels!

By the way, to Pray for my aunt and Suspicious Cook, I could not get your level codes to work correctly last night. Let me know if it was the wrong code or if I did something wrong so I can make sure they get played on Monday (if you so wish.)

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/600760829

1. This Year, February was Warm... 00:29:00
By: Tonberi 4J1-QLC-JQF

2. Snowpeak Sanctum 00:54:30
By: Mektarian 0BC-D29-NSG

3. Desert Distress 01:05:45
By: Dog Nougat J27-SWH-QGF

4. Chutes and Ladder 01:30:15
By: Punk Rebel Ecks V5Q-V6K-02G

5. 1-2 Shells 01:43:15
By: Obama 2012 N8W-MN5-6RF

6. Spiny Viny Valley 01:52:00
By: Palmtree Panic NGG-TFJ-8JF

7. Mask Mayhem 02:04:30
By: ThisIsACoolGuy SJ6-1F3-GQG

8. Mechakoopa Airfield
By: pray for my aunt LPJ-G89-CWF

9. P Stars 02:28:00
By: Tonberi 6CN-T45-0PG

10. Frog Mario Exhibit 02:40:15
By: Jasoneatspizza 84B-014-HHG

11. Squirrels Gone Wild 02:10:00
By: JSpot J0L-GMH-56G

12. Polar Pokey Canyon 01:25:15
By: Haschel Cedricson D81-KVH-C5G

13. Aerial Antagonism**
By: Suspicious Cook 6FM-VWW-BDG

14. Run, Froggy, Run! 02:55:45
By: Palmtree Panic 2RK-06F-FXF

15. Coral Jungle 03:04:30
By: Amppelix G5C-WBT-SLG

It was fun watching all of this.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 24, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tonberi posted:

That's awesome, congratulations!

I've updated my world, you may find it at

634-PNP-68G

Currently there are 2 worlds with 5 courses a piece:
World 1: Mechakoopa Madness! Mechakoopas suddenly start appearing in the Mushroom Kingdom and it's up to Mario and Friends to fight them off and out of the mushroom kingdom!
6MJ-K6W-LHG - Mechakoopa Mobilization Mechakoopas appear! Platform and defeat them.
DNP-S8J-L0H - Terror of Mechakoopazilla Giant Zappa Mechakoopas! Zoot Allures! Use them to get past the unbreakable bricks!
02P-MQY-7QF - Magic Monty Ride Ride Monty Moles to the Goals
LYJ-XSH-DLF - Larry's Low-effort Livingspace A typical castle with an incredibly difficult boss fight, as they should be.
6CN-T45-0PG - P Stars Or you can just skip the easy stages and play this one to go straight to the castle.

World 2: Super Happy Fun Space Floaty Land! Totally not all of my hardest stages thrown together with nary a clear rate over 0.5%
But Bowser's castle shouldn't be a challenge if you just want to finish the world, and the path is open from the start!

I maybe went a little silly on the second and third stages of world 1, I'd appreciate feedback on the difficulty curve as it might be more like a bell?

Hey did you change the design of your castle. How did you do that?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Amppelix posted:

the same way you change the design of anything else (long press on it); the unexplained catch is that you can't change the look of the final castle in your super world. That one always has to look like a final boss castle. Of course with the one-world super worlds everyone's making, you only have the one castle which is also the final castle, so this isn't very well known or very intuitive.

Ah thanks a ton.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Amppelix posted:

Very nice first level! It's really hard to get the balance of not too challenging but still interesting and I think you nailed it. Secret placement was on point, too.

I have some unrelated advice: you (and everyone else) should really pick "lock tags" in the options. unlocked tags does not mean that like, there's some sort of communal effort to put tags on the level and the most popular get chosen. no, it means literally anyone can alter the tags of your level at any time, permanently, until someone else comes along and does the same. unlocking your tags is a nice way to end up with your normal-rear end levels being tagged as "multiplayer versus, auto mario" or something like that

Weird. Why is that even an option.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That all said on the koopalings I think Roy let me down the most. In the Mania Mine level I had tucked away I wanted him to chase you through the level (ceilings low enough or hazards kept you moving so you couldn't fight him) then at the end you throw down, but unlike Meowser he apparently despawns if you get too far away from him which- as it turns out- is right next to the boss arena I set up. As a result it's a pretty easy level but eh :argh:

I have an easy fix for you. Create a second Roy at the boss arena. That way you have the pursuing Roy, and a Fresh Roy for the boss fight when the other despawns.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Agreed. When I first saw him I thought "He can't hurt you with his projectiles? Lame; he's gonna be just a more-annoying Boom Boom." But with the right boss arena? :discourse:

Made a stage based around him. Namely Lemmy in a Lakitu cloud that pops out the balls needed to get past many of the obstacles.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I want to get back into Mario Maker and fully create a world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sam Faust posted:

I wasn't happy with how a few of the levels in my super world turned out in regards to difficulty and polish. So, I've been booting up Mario Maker again to fix that up to where I like it. I updated 14 levels (if you wanted to specifically play them, they're obviously just the 14 newest levels in my uploads) of my 40 level world, I figured I should at least post about it in the old Mario Maker thread for old time's sake.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1496261768225509377?s=20&t=x3YkVxirU3rpr9qvkQHXig

Thanks will check it out.