Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
loving the game so far

haven't had a single level yet that wasn't me getting wrecked by some weird mechanic i couldnt understand yet. i legit hope this continues

edit: my first hard level was snakes in to bullets, then every normal plat was ice. this poo poo is hard right now. I used to clear experts almost every time, I'm legit having trouble with even one hard level right now.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What's the best controller for this game? The pro controller dpad is proving to be not great.

Can I hook a snes controller up somehow?

Look up SN30, they make USB controllers that sync to Switch and have very good DPADs. Look up HORI left joycon replacements if you want to have a d-pad on the go.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm 4 levels in and haven't had an actual platformer yet on Expert. I had to clear a level that was 90% boo for my second. Anyone expert+ actually find a non-gimmick level yet?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
First level -

beetle bailey
9WJ-KL3-1GF

Wanted to get something up this weekend, could use some more work.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Is there any way to check what difficulty your own levels end up being?

As far as I can see it's only visible in Course Bot and only for others' downloaded levels - no where else in the UI.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Anyone have the link to the old MM1 part randomizer handy? I'm assuming there's no updated one for the sequel yet.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Mostly posting this one because I'm proud I finally got it uploaded.

It started out as me realizing I'm bad at handling ice physics, so I messed with a level around that. Then I found the jump at the beginning and decided to try my hand at a more difficult level.

This level is pretty tough, but there is a checkpoint halfway through, and the whole level is under a minute. Not recommended if you hate ice levels.

Ice Maker
Y3W-7JL-QWF

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Dangerous Minority posted:

Are the levels in the New Courses tab updated by date, or completion rate? Mine's full of stuff from four days ago, all sitting at zero plays, and I really hope I don't have to play through all of it to get new courses in there.

Try closing the software and re-opening? My stuff all gets stuck like that even though I'm connected to the internet/can still play endless and whatever. Individual level view just doesn't update until I close the software.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
One thing I feel people need to get better at is properly setting up those classic "speed thing in to other speed thing" set ups.

I.e. when sliding down a long slope with a ? block in the air right after, the natural inclination is to finish the slide and jump right in to it. Multiple times in normal/easy levels in Endless, that setup has appeared but been set up just slightly wrong so you have to immediately stop and wait for an enemy or something.

It makes me wonder whether the creators tested the play properly, or if they even notice they're putting that situation in. Or if their natural instinct after a long slide killing a bunch of baddies is.. to hard stop. Really weird. Or if they just feel like blueballing me I guess

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Anyone have recc's for some good "read the patterns" levels? Not talking enemy spam, exactly. I like situations where there is a specific, readable way through, but it takes a lot of analysis to find it. I especially like when you can pretty much see the entire "pattern" at once. Specifically platforming, not puzzles.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Thank you to the goons who played my (kaizoish?) level, Ice Maker. After the initial goon rush I got a lot of plays and it seemed like a couple people who lost to it in Endless then got determined and beat it anyway.

It's super cool that this thread helps us all get our levels listed so we can get more exposure from randos.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Castor Poe posted:

Just finished my second course. A simple SM3DW classic type level with tons of secrets. I think it's a decent improvement over my first level.

Desert Fortress: WBP-894-LSG

Long jumps and rolls are your friends.

I beat it without using either long jumps or rolls :downs:

Great level though. I really hate the two flames directly after the checkpoint. I've never felt stupider than losing a mushroom to that like.. 4 times.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Random level review:

Hot Tootsies

9Y3-B0Q-QGF

I like the level's idea and design. But I am probably the worst ever at correctly throwing a pow at two munchers to kill both. This is at least the third level that has made me come to terms with this.

Didn't beat, but I think I'll come back to this one.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

internet celebrity posted:

Hey thanks! That's my favorite level I've made so far.

Also as a heads up for when you come back, there are 4 rooms with a checkpoint after room 2.

Oh jesus haha. Well let me just get over my massive hump of the very first obstacle and I'll let you know about the rest, I guess.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Castor Poe posted:

Thank you!

I'm glad you were able to beat it (and maybe get all the secrets?) without using Mario's special moves! I spent a ridiculous amount of time making sure people who don't know, or don't want to accept, our favorite plumber has learned few tricks since 1985 could still 100% it.

Sorry about the flames. I did get carried away with those things.

Where was I intended to use the roll/long jump mechanics? I cleared to the checkpoint in one try and didn't see any obvious points after that. The bug things? (PS what are those purple things called? They have my least favorite hitboxes in the game)

I will probably take another run at it with that in mind.

Edit: I will say for future reference that I mostly didn't like that the fireballs just seemed a little mean. They are timed exactly to cause you to lose the mushroom if you go full speed. I think it's a good idea to let the checkpoint allow full speed so you get amped up for the challenge from the beginning? Not sure. I'm trying to improve my own levels and that's something I am going to try and implement for my own platformer levels. At least the ones that aren't "go step by step" like my last one.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 3, 2019

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Castor Poe posted:

Right before the warp pipe, Long jump from the bottom cloud. If you time it right, you should land right under the ? boxes and get some goodies that should help with the purple bugs.

In the fortress section, immediatly after the thwomp section, you can roll underneath the spikey block instead of crawling and jumping.

Ahh. Gotcha. I'll take another run at it. It's going to take a while for me to internalize the new mechanics and use them in situations other than "this is the only way through". I even saw the description first and never once used them.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Anyone have suggestions for how to signal that a block is required? (Key or a specific powerup that is needed). I used a lot of arrows in my last level. Maybe throw it in an unattainable block above? I haven't seen that often.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Random Stranger posted:

Communication in Mario Maker is hard. In the case where you just want a signal, then putting the requirement locked up above the entrance to the area and allow players to double back is generally good. A better solution is to let the players see right from the start that they need whatever and then have them go off to find it, but you have to build your level around that idea.

Hmm. That might be tough, I've been using them as a way to force a certain path through a difficult area. It feels like I can build a challenge that puts you in a sketchy situation better that way than any other way.

Edit: I should mention, I'm mostly building levels for a group of friends who are all challenging eachother. I think we're to the point where all of our levels are in Super Expert, so not building normal levels. My goal is to make extremely challenging levels without resorting to bullshit, hence why I'm trying to signal everything important.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 3, 2019

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
This is dumb and probably no one else cares, but can you put a link to the post you're actively updating with blitz/etc at the top of the op? It's a shitload of scrolling on mobile just to find the current blitz rules or link to the spreadsheet right now.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Is there a way to infinitely replace ice blocks going on to a track that fall off? Or just building some kind of closed loop system?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Is it better to put the hardest parts of your level directly after restart points (cp/start) or directly before them?

I feel like if you want them to get played in endless, they should be before the CP/ a decent way in. But when I play specific levels through goons or friends, it feels a lot better having the immediate opportunity to retry the hard parts.

I'm having a hard time deciding this in my level building.

And I guess it depends how much harder the "hard" part is and how long it takes to get there. Good level building is hard

Edit: maybe like 1/3rd past? Just long enough they're still willing to retry the hard jump or whatever? :thunk:

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 21, 2019

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Servers are about to go offline for maintenance. Wonder if there'll be a patch for MM.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Another vote for checkpoints being excepted here. They're integral to level design in a way no other single block is. Even ground is less limiting.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Also thank you DalaranJ for pushing current info to the top of the OP. I asked for it a couple weeks ago and forgot, it's really nice for when I'm stuck on mobile with my switch. :)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ignite Memories posted:

How do I go about making a helmet-check? I'm trying to ensure that whether you're super mario or just regular mario with a helmet, i wanna get you down to regular mario no helmet

Give them a mushroom then place a 1 high section long enough with spike to damage them twice if they aren't small? I can't think of anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Amazed but really shouldn't be that there was nothing lol