Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Anyone figure out how to make the ! block in the 3D World initially come out the direction I want instead of always coming out of the right? I cannot seem to figure out how to do that

edit: I figured it out, it wasn't working initially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Okay next question: Is there a way to reset Mario when testing a stage to the starting point with just a button press or do I need to drag him back to the start every time

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Suicidal Maniac posted:

I haven’t gotten into the maker stuff yet so I don’t know exactly, but I remember watching a Nintendo E3 stream where they were demonstrating you could hold down something and it would do exactly that.

Edit: Yep just tested it out. Hold down the play or minus button and you start from the start.

Awesome thanks, that's way smoother.

Here's a very rough look at barely even like 1% of my fast autoscroller finished. But it feels real good to finally get this idea going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpeQWibGzWI

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wow you can't place very many of those extendy piranha plants at all :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Argh Mario has a spinning ability that totally breaks some parts of the level I'm making in the 3D World setting :argh: I'm finding this out VERY LATE in my stage creation

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Finally finished my first level. It's a fast paced Auto-scroller based off butt stomping the ! Blocks:

Course ID:
D7C-XS6-NXF

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nep-Nep posted:

Use the shoulder buttons to do a long jump.

Huh, could you guys record how you are trying to do it? The way I built the level it's simply, run, jump on the bullet bill and bounce off of him to get to the last platform

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nep-Nep posted:

Sure, here's a quick recording of how I play through the level, minus the dying at the end but that's not relevant since I show how I do the rest.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/445470250

Interesting. I forgot you could even long jump in 3D World.

Here's the intended way I designed it which is mostly the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMvMIdNBehg

(also it appears in my effort to add some flavor with the bees, I just provided you with a way to completely skip the butt stomping gimmick of most of that section :v:. That was certainly not intended )

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I saw in the previews you could pin things in the Pallet. Does anyone know how to do that?

Hold it down

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I didn't play MM1. Is Kuribo's Shoe in this game?

This is very important.

Yes. Also Kuribo's Heel

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

One thing I wish they would've added is buzzsaws being able to move on their own without the track. I think the track is so ugly and it's a pain to work around it to make it look good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

One more for today.

Course ID:
99M-3VB-HBG

Snow Saw Cliffs

Another auto-scroller. This one is a lot shorter than the previous one, as it doesn't have a second sub area. All of the floor is slippery however, so watch your step!

edit: Btw a lot of my courses will probably be auto-scrollers

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I want to force the player to use boxes on rising lava, but I also want to force the player to not use the boxes and wall jump instead in certain areas. What's a good way to force the player to lose the box so they don't just cheese the wall jumping by standing on the box

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The enemy limit still being a thing is such a bummer. It really ruins gauntlets or just generally being able to decorate the stage with enemies that aren't a threat but make the stage feel more alive

edit: You can only have TEN of the creeper piranhas. Why??

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 29, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

saltyslug posted:

If you beat a level but die four times does that count as one attempt or five?

Five

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So here's a fun thing: If you get to the point in uploading your course where you put the title in, if you accidentally backspace too much and hit back it doesn't go like "do you want to quit the course uploader?" or something. It just loving spits you right back out into the course editor. Nintendo. You have been a game company for ONE THOUSAND YEARS

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alright, one more before I dive into the spreadsheet levels:

Course ID:
WDG-DMK-J4G

Boiling Box Tower

Climb the tower and use the boxes. But be quick, the lava is rising!

This level is (get ready to be shocked) an autoscroller, but unlike the previous two, this one is vertical (and also the speed is the medium speed instead of the fastest)

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 30, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

I like the concept a lot, and I enjoyed what I saw so far, but it was a little too difficult for my liking. How hard is it supposed to be? I kept dying pretty early on where (I assume) you need to use a second box on the right to get past the horizontal vine, then go back to your first box. If I tried riding the left box, I would get stuck under the vine, but if I threw the right box to the right and rode that, my left box would get stuck under the vine and stop rising with the lava. If you want a hard level, I guess this is fine, but if you want something more approachable, I would suggest holding the player's hand a little more (maybe slow down the autoscroll more?) and making some of the vine "puzzles" a little more forgiving. That said, great work!

Are you talking about the section with the one horizontal creeper or the gauntlet at the end? Cause if it's the gauntlet the key is the arrows, if you can manage to throw your boxes in the center you're mostly safe. The plants can't really get you and it's pretty much just a straight shot to the top. If you're talking about the section before that one with the one horizontal creeper (which is the section in my screenshot) you're meant to get off the box you were on to get to that second box, grab the box, go up to the top platform and then wait for the lava to catch up for a second and throw the box into the lava. It is meant to be somewhat difficult.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just spent the past 2 or 3 hours doing the first 20 (technically 19) courses on the spreadsheet. I probably won't go through the entire thing again, just looking at highlights I come across in the thread just becasue there's almost 200 now at the time of this posting and I can't keep up. But for now, here's my reviews of the first 20:

PotU: Air Attack

I got to the hammer bro and stopped playing. Enemies feel kind of thrown all over the place. The checkpoint room is a mess. Instead of being a spot to chill for a second, there's the fire bars and the goombas and the canonballs filling up almost every spot in the room. The section after with the switches and the boss felt kind of pointless, as did the entire section to the right in the first part of the stage because you can easily bypass it with the canonball. I also didn't like that the front of the ship to get on was just a bit too high. 1/5

Bongo Bill: Gruesome Grave

Very cute little level and idea. It was funny seeing the comments of people who apparently died in specific spots because it's incredibly hard to actually die in this stage if you don't run ahead. Props on how tense the very last part of the stage feels. I honestly questioned if I was gonna be able to survive that or not. 4/5

J-Spot: Hurry up and wait!

Nice little stage. I like the gimmick of being forced to be patient while also having to keep moving because of the conveyer belts. A nice little challenge! 4/5

Fawf: Two Goombas

Funny. There's nothing paritcuilary amazing about the platforming but the joke of the level is executed really well. 3/5

ThisIsACoolGuy: Pipe Up

NOT FOUND

spacebump: easy, short & fun

It certainly was short and easy! It was a decent little level. The turtles at the beginning felt kind of thrown around but the rest of the stage didn't have this problem. I like the little star bonus even if it was mostly uneccessary. Probably should've had a little bit more at the end there, maybe bringing that seciton of the level higher because you don't really engage with it. You basically walk along the top and jump to the flagpole. 3/5

Al Borland Corp: Chain Chomp Factory

Fun! I liked how consistent the theme was. There were enemies everywhere but they felt delibertly placed. That section with the moles where you could use the switch to free them, I never went for the switch and you could bypass it completey, so I'm not sure what that section was for. Cute level though! 4/5

Vlad3217: Falling with style

Lol @ the troll mushroom at the beginning. Short, sweet. 3/5

FlashFearless: Abe01

Solid little level! Several little secrets for being such a small course. A fine little romp. It's also a level that can be speedran which is fine. I hope your carpet clean now. 4/5

Tnega: It's Incisive Social Commentary!

Just like real life. 5/5

ThisIsACoolGuy: Head in the clouds

Cute little "normal" level. Not a big fan of hte note blocks, I think that kind of threw off my being able to jump off of the ledges, and some of the enemy placements weren't great but otherwise good! A bunch of secrets which is also fun! 4/5

The Kins: Origins

This level was cute. I liked the theme of it. 3/5

beerniator: Lagerbier

??? ???/5

nrook: 8-3's Revenge

Decent level. Hammer Bros are probably my least favorite enemy to deal with but it's possible to mostly skip or jump over them. Solid level 3/5

found sound: Factory Spillage

I didn't think the theme of the level was really clear, but it was otherwise a decent solid level. 3/5

beerinator: Ball Jumps

Super cool level. Loved the gimmick. 5/5

(18 on the list was mine)

J-Spot: Soggy Doggies

Cute level. A bit overwhelming at times, but I liked the big chomp gauntlet in the tunnel and the little pup noteblock gauntlet was super cute. Plenty of mushrooms too so that was nice. 4/5

Cheetah7071: See the Saws

Interesting stage! I liked how you gradually taught the player how things worked. It took a while for me to figure out I wasn't actually supposed to have the thwomp catapault me and just instead wait til it's going back up to take a running jump up the see saw. That second part is probably way harder without the helmet. 4/5

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Hey this was really neat, that second section especially where you're sending up boxes through the pipes to give yourself something to land on. It's cool seeing Mario and the box travelling simultaneously through separate pipes just ahead of the lava.

It's definitely a little on the difficult side but I guess I'm not sure what you could do to fix that, it could just be that everyone is still pretty unfamiliar with boxes right now. (I got to the checkpoint on my first try but then I died three or four times in the pipe section) I found the indicators helpful and I liked that there was a demonstration of the pipe/box mechanic at the checkpoint. It could be that the lava rising speed is too fast but then slow might be too slow...

But yeah, I thought it was great

Thanks glad you liked it! :) It's apparently way harder than I intended, though I did intend for it to still be difficult. I watched a streamer play it, and they didn't seem to get the second section until I told them they could throw the boxes into the pipes. I probably should've made the checkpoint section larger to better force the player to throw the box into the pipe so they'd pick up on it more. Likewise I probably should've changed the beginning section so that you have to fill the lava with the boxes so the first section is a bit clearer. I also saw a couple of spots where the streamer bypassed the challenge of a few parts of both sections that I didn't intend but eh well, you literally can't complete the second section without bringing a box with you there's no way to cheese that as far as I can see.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1145494277826469889

It's time for the first week's creation jam. Just make a course based on this week's theme and submit it to the form in the tweet above. You can find the form in the third post above Bob Markley's smiling face if you don't twitter. #JackisaNazi That's also where you'll find the list of all the levels submitted to our Jams. If you submit a level I'll be sure to share it on twitter for you.

The first week's theme is "Try Switch." :ItIsADarkSoulsJoke:
There are new on-off switches in SMM2, there are also old P-Switches. Maybe you feel like switching off the light, or switching gravity? Whatever that phrase brings to your mind, just make the best level you can about it!

The Jam lasts until Friday evening, but if you don't make it in time you can still submit levels for a Jam after the closing time.

I think maybe the jam levels should be on a separate spreadsheet. I think that'd just make it easier to keep track of them as opposed to the regular ones which we're already 230+

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

They are. You can put your Jam level on both spreadsheets though.

Oh okay cool!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Also, don't have a backless pipe visually.

This needs to be in big bold flashing letters in the OP and on billboards and like, on the moon's surface. Cause holy gently caress. I hate that more than enemies thrown around everywhere with no care. It's basically a warcrime

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Why are there no vines in the 3D World set? It's easily my favorite now cause it looks great visually and provides this really nice 2.5D look that NSMB doesn't, but there's basically nothing to really decorate stages with. It's kind of a bummer. There really needs to be more background/foreground cosmetic things to liven up the levels in the 3D World set

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I also wish you could make vertical sub areas scroll down as well as up.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 1, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh my god I didn't even see the arrows. Yesssssss

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Is there any way to trigger an icicle falling without Mario having to pass under it first? I need it to fall ahead of time

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So this course should probably be quite a bit easier than the previous three I did.

I finally got around to making a kind of course that got a lot of praise here so here's the first of its kind in MM2. It's a level that mechanically works like the rocket barrels in Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze:

Ant Army Escape

I'm not sure how many of these kinds of levels I'll make in the 3D World style in the future though. You just simply can't decorate the stage like you can the other styles.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 1, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

Yes, but Cat Mario.

Well I meant specifically the Rocket Barrel-like levels I make. Those really benefit from being able to decorate them so they just aren't empty hallways with enemies in them. But you can't really do that in the 3D World style. For instance it would've been great to have vines hanging around the stage to make it look more like you're under the ground. But there aren't even vines in 3D World.

And I will never make a stage in the NSMB style :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I got a Markiplier level in expert and like the second challenge was a spiny block that I couldn't see a way to jump over. And every time you hit it it would do the little baby laughing noise.

What I'm trying to say is youtube celebs have garbage design sensibilities and the likes system is dumb.

Ross from Game Grumps spent about 8 hours trying to beat his Companion Spring 2 level, and had to call over The Completionist to get the level beat (which took about 6 of those 8 hours). They streamed the entire thing. It looked like the hardest parts were the long boss rooms.

Though to be fair, he builds them specifically for the show and not for the rest of the world. They just become super popular because he's super popular.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's a track option that makes it into a "Y" shape. It looks like it should react to on-off switches but it doesn't seem to? How do I use these parts

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I kind of wish I could see the boos to likes ratio of my levels...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Is anyone else already completely sick of on/off switches

I've got bad news about the first SA MM2 Jam

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

One annoying thing about switches that I didn't take into account before building half of the second part of my level is that the previous switch state continues into the next subarea. I have to basically rebuild an entire part of the stage now because it can potentially break the first part of the subarea. Arrghhh.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tnega posted:

Why not block the pipe to the subarea with blocks and put an on/off next to it, so you have to get the switch the right way to go through the pipe?

Because I built that last section as a shell back and forth switch so you have to jump across platforms going on and off to get to the pipe, and there's no way to stop the shell after that point.

This would've been fine as it's essentially the same thing with blocking the pipe, except I tested out going in a different times to see if I could break it, and it is possible to go in the pipe right as the switch changes back and it'll still break the next area. Now obviously that's a pretty extreme edge case for that to happen, but people manage to die on the weirdest poo poo in other levels. I basically have to remove that whole shell section and redo it, which is a bummer.

Evil Eagle posted:

it's kind of bizarre that 3d world doesn't have the on/off switch blocks

3D World is missing a bunch of stuff from the others and it sucks. It's my favorite looking visually but it feels like you have a much smaller toolset. It seems like they replaced the switch blocks with the spike blocks which... are not as fun to design around.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tnega posted:

Put the on/off switch on the exit of the pipe?

I guess I have to. I'll have to rearrange some stuff in that section to make that work and it'll look less pleasing aesthetically than I have it in the process :mad:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This thread moves so fast

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Does the night theme for the airship change the gravity but for enemies only? What's happening here

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Finished my Jam level for this week:

Switch Blocks By Starlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Please friends, I implore you. No matter how hard or easy your course is, put a check point in the middle of it