Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a shortcut for opening the item wheel instead of me tapping the magnifying glass every time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

Press Y. It might only work when a menu is highlighted?

e: I fixed the joke video in post 2 so it actually links.

What do you mean by highlighted menu? I've tried tapping Y, I've tried holding it, but the radial menu won't show up unless I press the magnifying glass.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Okay I'm a bit annoyed that you can't center-align two-block wide enemies anymore. The system still clearly allows for it since a thwomp pushed by a note block only gets pushed half a square, making it aligned with a single block!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Haha the Intermediate Yamamura lesson titled "Treat the Player Fairly" has a sequel in the Advanced section, "Seriously, Treat the Player Fairly"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Okay it's kind of silly that you can't stack enemies in Mario 3D World style. Mario 3D World originated stacked enemies! :mad:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Khanstant posted:

A bomb or something that destroys a box? or maybe have the box continue to move in a direction where there's no room for player.

Also, is this dog in story mode the dog sound effect from the music-making portion of Mario Paint?!? Did they pull Mario Paint characters in here! I loved that game, surprised we never got another. I love the idea of taking those SNES icons and making them into characters. Is there the crybaby and cat too? Can I ride on that sweet bassy seaship?

It's the same Undodog from Mario Paint! Not the music maker, the button you click to undo things.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfbqLzuKZf8

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah, don't put anything above the horizontal screen divider and the screen won't follow Mario into the sky.

The white blocks are there but trying to hold down will just make Mario do a little hop as if to say "I get what you wanted to do but we can't do that here". Of course someone's already figured out how to make that into a little Kaizo gimmick of its own.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is there a way to test a level with the switches set to the off position? I keep having to place a switch in the spot I'm testing from.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That was https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/ which doesn't work for Mario Maker 2.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I hope that they not only bring back the bookmark site but also add a playlist feature because jesus christ the influx of level codes in this thread is unmitigable in a way the first game wasn't.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

After weeks of being displeased with my attempts to recreate my Mario Maker 1 levels, I made an original one that I'm somewhat pleased with, although the timing was a bitch to tune so some parts might be a bit more unforgiving than I wanted.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

I disagree with your level's title. I have no idea how you're supposed to do the bit after the second checkpoint with the thwomp except by dying to it a whole bunch and jumping to the exact right spot at the exact right moment with the foreknowledge of where the snake block is going to go, and even after dying to this multiple times and memorizing the snake block's path, I could not do this part without taking a hit. I died to the obstacle immediately after this because I can't know where the snake block is going to be until it's there and I'm dead from the thing I can only avoid by being in the right place at the right time with the foreknowledge of where and when this is. I don't know how much more level there is, but I do know there can't be any more checkpoints, so I give up.

Thanks for the feedback; do you mean that the part with the thwomp itself is what kills you? That's a bit disappointing for me to hear since I didn't even intend for that to be a challenge; the only reason the thwomp and muncher were there at all was to prevent you from going through too early or too late and causing the two snake blocks to be out of sync. I didn't expect it to be a bottleneck in the level. :smith:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Remade an old Mario Maker level of mine that got deleted because nobody finished it; suffice to say I hope this one is easier.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Made a new one; what I'm aiming for (and I hope I communicated this through the level itself) is to either collect all the small coins without "alerting" security, or just take the 3 big ones, which will set off all sorts of things and necessitate a daring escape. The former should be slower but easier, while the latter would more or less require you to keep moving, with few spots of downtime.

Edit: Revised the level, new code is YM4-KF6-DLG

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 2, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Besesoth posted:

Jeez, security is tough even when you don't go for the quick score. If I had one suggestion, it would be to add slightly more coins or decrease the number necessary (no more than 5 either way); between fleeing one Boo-with-a-Thwomp on the left and seeing a new Boo-with-a-Thwomp on the right, it's easy to miss that the question block after the Magikoopa segment has ten coins in it, which means that if you miss any coins in the rest of the level you have to backtrack all the way through to find them.

Sure, that sounds reasonable! I'll do that first thing tomorrow before starting on a new level.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Uh, how do I fix a level? I've edited mine up but I can't just click upload because it already exists on the server. If I try to delete it on course world, it says "Once deleted, courses cannot be restored", which I'm worried means I can't upload the course again with my fixes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Argue posted:

Made a new one; what I'm aiming for (and I hope I communicated this through the level itself) is to either collect all the small coins without "alerting" security, or just take the 3 big ones, which will set off all sorts of things and necessitate a daring escape. The former should be slower but easier, while the latter would more or less require you to keep moving, with few spots of downtime.

I've made the easy path more forgiving (shortened a fire bar, and added a whole 10 coins, so you now only need 120/140 coins instead of 120/130). Course ID is YM4-KF6-DLG

Also lol what the gently caress "The course description contains more than 4 numbers"??? 5 numbers isn't enough to be a phone number or ccn, so what on earth is going on?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Volte posted:

Stealthy Stronghold Siege by Argue
YM4-KF6-DLG
Great level! Very challenging - I tried both the low path and the high path in equal measure and ultimately finished it via the high path. Had the world record....briefly...

Thanks Volte! I played your boo level and it gave me an idea, so here's my latest, inspired directly by you:

I think it's my easiest level by far but hopefully it's roughly the same difficulty as an actual Mario level.

Edit: the thing I'm worried about most on this level is softlocks. Hopefully the reset door is enough to mitigate any.

Argue fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 4, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Normal scrolling is definitely there. You can specify the direction if vertical.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is there anything I can do in 3D World to have something roughly follow the X position of a player, like moles and poison mushrooms do in the other styles? A boo is all I can think of and it's too slow, plus it goes through walls and I don't want the player punished for standing still.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Ugh, so it turns out troopas out of their cars behave exactly like I want, but it's kind of effort to contrive a way to force them to eject. It seems hopchops also follow you though, so all's good; I can work with that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

:ohdear: The feedback I got on that level of mine (#12) is that some of the jumps are too hard to figure out; watching someone stream it should be instructive to me on how to design snake blocks fairly in the future. Good luck!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Thanks OneMoreTime! Enjoyed seeing someone playing it blind, and I'm glad to see you got through the trouble parts fine!

Rollersnake, no problem! I can see what you meant with the precision timing, other people I asked to try it had similar comments about the thwomp.

Edit: my big takeaway from the video is that the coins as jump guides doesn't help much if you're out of step with the exact same way I played my level

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 16, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

OneMoreTime posted:

Also, silly thing I discovered when looking at Mario Maker youtube videos: normally every enemy has to be either next to each other (i.e. tile 1 and tile 2 both contain goombas( or have tile gaps inbetween (Tile 1 has a goomba, tile 2 nothing, tile 3 goomba.) This is relevant because in SMB, you can have enemies spawn in half tile increments. Turn out you can replicate this by placing an enemy on top of a giant enemy and playing said giant enemy in the ground, despawning them when the stage starts and getting your half tile spawn.

This is absolutely useless but I found it way too fascinating not to share.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help me align thwomps with single tiles (and half of each adjacent tile) like I could in the first Maker. That's actually something that would help me make levels look more pleasing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Any ideas on how I can make a stationary dry bones shell move left? A spring moves it right and it collapses when it hits a wall, and it won't work the way I want to if I just make it go right and bounce it left off a spring.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

... huh. Weird, but okay! I'll give it a try, thanks!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

In Training posted:

Shells always bounce to the left off springs if there's a Pow Block or P-Switch loaded below their spawn point. They always go to the right if there's one above, so you can stick one in a wall somewhere to guide the shells where you want them to go.

Ugh I just tested this and it doesn't work for Dry Bones or Spiny shells :( So I'm still stumped at how to make this Dry Bones shell go left without reflecting it off a sideways spring.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Obvious but new course parts will be coming.

Here's my wishlist

https://i.imgur.com/fvPgbpB.mp4

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

After clearing out my Switch backlog, I'm back on SMM2. I'm not happy enough with this level to make a splash image for it like I've been doing with my others (hit the part limit, couldn't come up with mechanisms to trigger some events I wanted to do), but I do like how the gimmicks that did work turned out.

Beware The Beasts Below
0PF 94B NLF

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Anyone have any ideas on how to make any kind of danger that goes perfectly horizontally--like a bullet bill, but fast? Vertically is easy, I just have offscreen tracks eject an enemy from above. I could make horizontal tracks but I wouldn't be able to combine them with the vertical threat since something ejected from tracks above would latch on to the horizontal tracks below. Also, these are supposed to be in sealed rooms, so the threats kinda need to be able to go through walls.

Edit: I can stack boos onto a muncher on top of a winged block moving on tracks, place the winged block and tracks below the room, and get an effect pretty close to what I want, but that means I'd have to jump over all the horizontal threats, and not have any that must be avoided under.

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 5, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The rooms aren't even a full screen long; I'll give the blue winged spike tops a try. I'm not sure the piranha plant idea would work even if you could stick them to the bottom of the blocks, since you can't stack them downwards or extend their stems. But even half a screen is too wide for red cannons to fire anything clear across in a straight line; anything other than a bullet bill will arc because of gravity.

Thanks for the ideas!

Edit: I think I can do something with the blue winged spike tops; it would be best if I could come up with a mechanism to have them move in time with my other devices but we'll see. Actually, my idea probably isn't going to work out the more I think about it; vertical offscreen surprises require you to think fast, but horizontal offscreen surprises, you see coming way too far ahead of time.

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 5, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

So it seems red cannons won't fire when they're even one block offscreen. If I can't do that, is there a way to obscure them onscreen instead?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

RodShaft posted:

Would putting them on a track onscreen work? It would randomize them a bit even though you'd see them coming. Could even throw blocks on a track to randomly block them in front of them to randomize it a lil more.

Or on springs?

Nah, randomization isn't what I'm after. What my idea was, was to drop someone in a series of rooms that look similar to this:

The idea is to give you a few moments to figure out where the safe zones are and rush to one before everything comes barreling in. The problem I'm having is that the only really effective danger I can make is stuff that comes from above. From the right side, I can use blue winged spike tops (though they don't go as fast as I'd like), but from the left, red cannons are the only thing I can think of to send at the player, and those don't function offscreen and can't be timed. From the bottom, I can have stuff poke in and out although unfortunately nothing that can go straight upwards.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

RodShaft posted:

Would putting them on a track onscreen work? It would randomize them a bit even though you'd see them coming. Could even throw blocks on a track to randomly block them in front of them to randomize it a lil more.

Or on springs?

Nah, randomization isn't what I'm after. What my idea was, was to drop someone in a series of rooms that look similar to this:

The idea is to give you a few moments to figure out where the safe zones are and rush to one before everything comes barreling in. The problem I'm having is that the only really effective danger I can make is stuff that comes from above. From the right side, I can use blue winged spike tops (though they don't go as fast as I'd like), but from the left, red cannons are the only thing I can think of to send at the player, and those don't function offscreen and can't be timed. From the bottom, I can have stuff poke in and out although unfortunately nothing that can go straight upwards.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

OneMoreTime posted:

And stream complete! Thank you once again for posting levels in the thread, and coming to hang out!

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/492085270

5. Beware The Beasts Below
By: Argue 0PF-94B-NLF

Thanks for playing! To answer your question, chomps normally sink, and it took me forever to make because I had to manipulate them and tweak all the timings with springs and blocks. I actually hit the part limit for that level because I had to come up with mechanisms that would work in lava--normal shells wouldn't work, only dry bones shells, and since those 1. collapse upon hitting walls, and 2: float upwards in liquid, I had to use plenty of sideways springs to compensate. Other things I discovered that I couldn't use: thwomps can survive in lava, tornados survive but the wind doesn't come out unless they're actually poking out of the lava, cannons fire but not bill blasters.

If anyone wants to create mechanisms hidden under lava, my best advice is to do it in the forest theme first; you'll be able to swim around to verify how they work, and the physics are the same, although you need to be mindful about which parts will die in lava.

Argue fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 9, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is there a place that actively discusses Mario Maker 2 glitches? I can do the new black hole glitch but I'm still unable to accomplish some effects I've seen in other levels and I'd like to figure them out before it gets patched again, as I'd really like to recreate a glitch level I made in the first game.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Won't be satisfied until we get my wishlist:

https://i.imgur.com/fvPgbpB.mp4

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

hcreight posted:

Man, I hope they don't just keep Link exclusive to the SMB tileset. LTTP Link in the World set would be rad as hell.

It's exclusive to the SMB tileset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I was just looking at the video again and... what if Link holding the bomb above his head is a dry run for the SMB2 style; the bomb even arcs the same way.