Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn’t make anything tonight but played a lot and my first impression, coming from a lot of time in the first game, is levels feel much more authentic now and like “real” Mario levels. Just having slopes does so much.

KidDynamite posted:

Is every piece available from the get or do you have to do the date unlock thing like MM1?

Everything is unlocked from the get go except the Superball powerup for SMB1 and the hammer for 3D World. Maybe a few others I’m forgetting but mostly everything is unlocked.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Omnikin posted:

Played about ten minutes between waking up and going to the gym. Random q. How the hell do I spin jump in SMW or NSMB?

ZR

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Astro7x posted:

Okay, I have some questions about this game that hopefully someone can answer.

As a parent that plays NSMBUD with their 5 year old, I was hoping to see these two features in the game.
-Being able to "Bubble" in multiplayer to get through difficult stuff, or at least a really forgiving system where the other player can die and come back right away.
-The ability to use my NES controllers with MM2.

Here is hoping, because that would make this game really accessible for my and my daughter.

I only played some coop online but you can teleport to another characters location when you respawn (you can also choose to spawn at the beginning or midpoint) and the NES controllers do work.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

gently caress short 3D World levels. The music is too good to be interrupted that quickly.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

to be honest 3D World levels are just making me want a Switch version of 3D World more then anything

...gently caress that's Nintendo's plan all along isn't it

Just being on Switch and with Toadette added would be enough to get me to double dip.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spellman posted:

It would be cool if they added the Koopalings someday maybe based on Mario Bros 3

Just do what they did in Smash and make them reskins of Bowser Jr. I’d be satisfied.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think they should have different behavior than Jr. Maybe be more aggressive movement wise and maybe each have a unique effect that can be applied.

That would be ideal. Especially for the more unique ones like Lemmy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Every koopa troopa is Bowser’s son.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s weird that SMB3 Desert and Forest use the ground theme and didn’t get anything new when 1 and World did.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish turning off in-level posts didn’t also turn off the end of level posts. Mario Maker 1 didn’t do that.:(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phantasium posted:

After playing a few more levels, the SMB1 Forest music is fantastic.

I really love all the new music. They all sound like they’d fit perfectly in their respective games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A stupid question, I know, but does anything else bring an endless challenge mode run to an end other than running out of lives? I’m at 80 in an easy mode run with 99 lives and I feel like it’ll be truly be endless. Does the difficulty ever increase?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m happy commenting is back. It’s like Miiverse is alive again.:unsmith:

I have a lot of fun leaving comments on random levels.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Mario Maker has this effect where exposure to it makes me want to put it down and play older Mario games. I never played New Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World, those look pretty cool. Part of me also wants to play through Super Mario World again and, god help me, give Kaizo Mario World a try :negative:

NSMBU is good but 3D World is such a delightful game. It would be a major shame if it doesn’t get a Switch port. It’s my favorite 3D Mario game. It makes me really happy that it’s getting more recognition by being a Mario Maker style.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I turn comments off because they are distracting.

Same. I wish you could set it to turn off in-level comments but still see after-level ones. I know that was possible in Mario Maker 1.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m not sure why exactly but I’m enjoying the NSMBU theme in this game a lot more than in 1.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100 percented story mode. I really enjoyed it but having to farm for coins to get the last 2 unlocks was pretty lame. I enjoyed the last course being a hard version of 1-1.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Hello Mario friends. I have a couple questions:

1) Can I download a ton of levels in advance to play later? I am going to be going on vacation soon where I will have an internet connection, but it is extremely slow and there is a data cap.

2) Is jumping/moving a little "floaty" in this game compared to the Mario games they're modeled off of? I wonder if I have something set weird somewhere, because it feels like it takes way too long to stop moving after holding forward or jumping forward, for example.

1) Yes.

2) They feel different but fine to me. Do you notice it more when playing on TV? If so, it may be lag from the TV.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really hope they allow stones and small Toads to be available in course creator eventually. I have some ideas for both.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Continuing easy endless challenge after a few days and the quality has gone off the deep end. I played like 15 levels and booed every single one.

They really shouldn’t let you place pipes without them being against some blocks at least. Cut off pipes looks so lovely, they guarantee a boo and a skip from me when I see them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

alf_pogs posted:

easy mode is a swamp but to me, normal mode and expert mode seem to be filtered pretty well. if you can establish some early 1-ups in a normal run, you're golden for at least the first 16 levels.

That’s good to hear. I’ll stop once I hit 300.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

d3lness posted:

Is there a reason to hit 300 outside of masochistic tendencies?

I think you get the medal for it then. It’s been mostly fun, only today was pretty lovely to play through.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wendell posted:

Apparently you need 1500 in easy now!

To just get the bronze? gently caress that then.:lol:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Control Volume posted:

The person in the most cleared courses leaderboard has cleared 7835 courses, or 650 courses a day

Jesus Christ. Fine, they deserve the top medal for that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really hope they bring back bookmarks soon. I really want to start to play all of y’alls levels but gently caress entering in codes for each one.:bang:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

absolutely anything posted:

it's a bad mode regardless of connection and i wish they had put time and resources into literally anything else

It’s fun as gently caress when you’re with people with good connections. I’m going to play a ton of it once they patch in multiplayer with friends.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Twomps are especially dangerous enemies to people not that good at Mario I’ve noticed.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Kraken posted:

If your level has way to softlock, people will go out of their way to achieve it even when you think nobody ever would.

I’m quite good at finding them.:v:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I wonder if there is a community of players out there looking for good levels the same way there is a community of makers here looking for players.

I also wonder if Makers Block exists and if I have it. :negative:

I have it and I haven’t even made one level yet.:(

I think I’ll try to make a relatively simple SMB1 level to to get my feet wet soon.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Where the gently caress is the play online with friends update. Maybe they're bundling it with a lot more. I need that bookmark feature to return too and then I'll start playing all of these wonderful goon levels. I'm not manually entering codes for each one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RodShaft posted:

I'm debating getting one of the Official SNES Switch Controllers, has anyone tried them?

They just starting shipping. Mine should be here in a few says so I’ll post impressions. Mario Maker was a big factor in buying it for me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

OneMoreTime posted:

I'll be interested in seeing how those are. I've been using 8bitdo's SNES style controllers for awhile and those D-pads are pretty good, and I've been wondering how Nintendo's will stack up.

Someone in the Switch thread got theirs and says the dpad and buttons feel better than the 8bitdos so I’m excited to jump back into this game once it comes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1179224897593188352?s=21
Finally!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1179228769275564032?s=21
Obvious but new course parts will be coming.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It seems like you can play levels you haven’t uploaded with friends online now so now there’s a way to playtest unpublished levels easier.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

God I’d enjoy this game so much more if they just added bookmarking again.:(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s all well and good but please tell me we’re getting bookmarks finally.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I never expected we’d get Zelda 2 Maker before a Zelda Maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Macaluso posted:

I haven't used my joycons in a while. My left joycon is just drift city at this point. I can't really build levels this way with it constantly drifting in a different direction. I looked up prices of joycons. EIGHTY loving DOLLARS? Are you MENTAL, as the brits say

Nintendo will replace them for free. Call them.