Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

look some republicans are just tired of strong daddy and have been aching for warm momma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Trabisnikof posted:

Ok for those supporting Tax Credits to Businesses as a form of social policy, what's your best historical success?

The historical success is that it frames all positive change as only being possible through a tax system. The lead result is that whenever the public wants something done or address, that petition of government can easily be dismissed with "how will you pay for it?" under the undeniable given that taxes would go up.

So the historical success, specifically is that it funnels money to the rich. Which is the actual goal.

Pardon me for answering for those tax credits mcfucksteins.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Gripweed posted:

But my god, do you remember what it was supposed to be 10 years ago? That glorious dream, that beautiful notion of a better world just within our grasp?

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1150750255752843264

Also important: the 9.86% is one of those means-tested numbers for earners. That is to say when I last bothered with the marketplace, the lowest price I could get was more then 30% of my income (pre-tax).

There is some sort of assumptive floor that of course everyone will make at least $35K/yr.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Self-Funding is a broad faced lie. He is not self-funding, he has loaned his campaign money, which his campaign will pay him back with interest.

That *is* his end-game for being in the race. He's probably not the only one, but he's the most obvious one (because he sure seems to be bad at this).

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Ruminahui posted:

Why.

Why are numbers fuckstein so utterly broken.

The only ideology of liberalism is to maintain plausible deniability of the horrors of the world.

"Well how do you know that those horrors are actually real? You see I have empirical data points arranged in my excell spreadsheet graphed out, which actually show..."

That's why they are so fundamentally broken; they are a physical manifestation of mental gymnastics.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

liberals love warren's "i have a plan" line and gobble it up wholesale

its a super fast way to get back to liberal ideology: maintaining plausible deniability of the horrors of the world

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Typo posted:

perhaps the real battle is the battle between centrism and leftism in our own hearts

the centrist/liberal has no heart

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Marxalot posted:

Yeah but political violence doesn't count to a centrist so long as it's in the form of a legalized system of oppression that incarcerates literal millions of people. We already boosted the number by 2 million in a couple decades. We can do another 5 easily.

There is a false belief nearly every civilization has: "But now we're civilized"

A Liberal: The problems of the past are the past, we're civilized now. Yes slavery was bad, but now we're civilized. Sure Jim Crow wasn't great, but now we're civilized. [Oppressed masses complain about conditions], um no, you are incorrect we are civilized now and our society, since it is civilized, must have all of the attributes of a civilized society, so our society is 100% merit based, completely fair, and ultimately anyone's problem is a result of that individual.

Also a Liberal: I definitely don't want there to be spilled blood. [Spoken while standing next to the blood waterfall runoff created by the suffering engine of capitalism]
(for direct clarification: anyone that "doesn't want violence" is just goddamn ignorant to what currently is going on)

In a vacuum, sure non-violence rather than violence. But "In a vacuum" never actually exists in the real world. All calls for *other people* to be non-violent are calls of the oppressor (or mimic the calls of the oppressor so exact as to be fundamentally inseparable).

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 27, 2019

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Reverend Dr posted:

There is a false belief nearly every civilization has: "But now we're civilized"

Uh so yeah, how did we stop slavery, oh right a war. How was civil rights (in hindsight it was, ultimately, quite a half-measure, now wasn't it?) brought into being? How was women's sufferage, or women in the workplace evolve?

Every single big advancement was brought on, not by debate or voting, but by implicit and explicit threats of violence and outright violence.

A Liberal: But now we're civilized! So don't do violence anymore.

We're not civilized. That's the lie. That's the one true ideology of liberalism, to maintain that lie or at least plausible deniability of that lie. The person that will perpetually deny your problems is no ally. Indeed that is a foe, a particularly insidious foe. MLK was completely correct about who was the greatest hurdle.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Unoriginal Name posted:

They are saying the violence is already being committed by the system in place, you dense motherfucker

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

also lol that those numbers aren't even real. last time I bothered to try the marketplace everything was about 350/m even when I was making less than 12K a year. yeah sure that 9.86 was ever real to start with

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Condiv posted:

No wonder liberals love the ACA so much. It’s p much the king of numbers fuckensteinery

liberals love number fuckery because the more complicated it is, the easier it is for them to pretend that "actually this is good and you don't understand it", scratching both the elitist itch as well as bog standard maintaining plausible deniability to the horrors of the world.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

shut up delaney

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

oh "america is great" you go stand with delaney

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

"realistic" is a dogwhistle for precompromised to uselessness right

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

"I wrote the drat bill"

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Insanite posted:

I'm in straight up conspiracy theorist territory about why Delaney, who polls anywhere from 0-2%, is getting so much leeway from the moderators.

Delaney is doing it just for the grift. He's also a lovely loving candidate, so the only thing donors could actually use him for, was trying to suicide bomb any progressive talk.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

"who's making promises to get elected"

just say delaney

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

mcmagic posted:

Why is Delaney getting all this time? He's polling at 0%.

Warren + Sanders throwing him through the spanish anouncer's table is just too good to pass-up.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Loucks posted:

I know we’re onto GND hate, but I just can’t get over how stupid both actual republicans and the crypto-republicans on stage think the American voter is. That anyone could be convinced losing their private insurance is a tragedy when it’s immediately replaced by public insurance is baffling. Is huffing paint thinner really that popular?

squidbillies is a documentary

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Loucks posted:

I live in central Indiana and find this argument compelling based on personal experience.

I live in georgia.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

The racial divide lives in me.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Reverend Dr posted:

The racial divide lives in me.

You see if you remember the last debate, I flew in from living in the racial divide, I'm bad at this clearly.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

when talking to a centrist/lib you might as well use "dark psychic forces" in place of "institutional racism", the centrist will dismiss both and using dark forces will make them bear their tiny fangs

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I respect trump's grand strategy too much to answer the softball question with a no

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

shut up delaney

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

appealing to obama nostalgia is biden's thing

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

look at how fast delaney is blinking

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

shut the gently caress up delaney

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Polygynous posted:

how the gently caress is marianne, zero irony, the 3rd best person there

neoliberlism is truly and completely a dead end

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

john delaney: i want to get rid of the middlemen and have corporate leaders be the only leaders

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Arist posted:

"I'm as progressive as anybody up on this stage"

loving WHAT

but he's also pragmatic

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

that's like feminism but free markets

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Leon Sumbitches posted:

She's not anti vaxx. She's nuts, but let's not lie.

No let me tell you about how what she is, is technically close enough to my idea of anti-vaxx (1/116)

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Calibanibal posted:

Wow can I get some tier lists? I might compile them.

S Tier - Sanders, medicare for all

A Tier - Wolf, Akuma, Marianne (Astral Radiance mode)

B Tier - Warren, Zangief

OCS Tier - Guile, Buttigeig, Tulsi

D Tier - beto, Marianne (normal mode)

F Tier - jeb (don't aks me to distinguise all the jebs, they're jebs)

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Buttigeig is not a troop, he's an OCS

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

The Glumslinger posted:

LA Times did a better version of the donation map, breaking it down by ZIP code, and showing how much each candidate got

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1157370312675213317

This map is legit amazing. I looked over the areas of my state where I'm familiar with the demographics and it really confirms a lot of what I expected.. Butti gets the boigie centrists. Warren gets the bougie more left leaning. Harris gets the republican leaning areas with a white population and large minority population that has been oppressed for decades. Biden gets the republican leaning areas with a little white population and large minority population that has been oppressed for decades. Sanders gets everything else. Every area that doesn't make life absolute poo poo (so people remain ignorant of political options b/c they got to spend all day getting rent), goes Sanders. The worst the the media is doing (and they know what they are doing) is keeping the currently oppressed areas in the dark that there is even an alternative to lovely establishment dem grift.

I like trying to find counties where a succ candidate has raised only $1

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Wicked Them Beats posted:

But enough about Delaney.

I could put twenty other names there and it doesn't change the joke. It's annoying we're going to be stuck listening to all these no-hopers for another three months at least.

During the last debates, everytime the moderators kept trying to do a got'ya asking which of the candidates they are trying to throw under the bus, I kept wondering why all of them didn't just say delaney.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Judakel posted:

We really just need to reduce the roster to Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Democratic Presidential Primay: Anecdotes of white supremacy