Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tremek so sorry to see the fire, glad the family and pets made it out safe. That's one of my biggest fears, fire breaking out when we're not home and the dogs can't get out.

Darchangel posted:

You know, I'm thinking maybe a second layer of gypsum on the shared wall between my garage and house might be a good idea...
The attics are still connected, but still not a bad thought.Maybe also build a firewall in the attic, too. Hmmm.

It's making me concerned there's nothing but plywood between the basement/garage and the living space. I do have three smoke alarms in the garage and one in the stairs going up but I need to replace all the alarms in the house itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Y'all need Roxul safe n sound in your life.
Thanks for the time, may be stocking up on that.

Tremek posted:

Rottie has a ruptured ACL. The words $5k surgery were floated by the vet. Taking him in for the surgery consult tomorrow.
Our pup has a partial tear ACL, trying to find a time when I can take two weeks off for watching him. That's bullshit about the insurance but it sounds like you're taking the right path and will get it sorted.

Brother stopped over last night with his pup we're dog sitting while he does on a trip for the 4th. Four dogs running around the house is a bit nuts.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Related: I went to a Carmax for the first time and after saying hi to me and saying to let them know if I wanted to test drive anything as I was walking through the building into the lot where the cars are, they left me alone and I got to sit in and finger a dozen different cars without anyone bothering me. Is that how they're supposed to work or were they just short staffed or something?

This is how Carmax works and why it's so successful, they leave you the gently caress alone and they don't do the bullshit haggle pricing game. We spent 4 hours at a Toyota dealership only to walk out pissed off, Carmax after was a way better experience.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Lol I always underestimate how lovely it is to become ill in the US. I'm talking about all jobs. Burning out is usually due to long periods of high stress, low control over your work and not enough time to recover. There are often elements of conflict involved. It heavily affects the frontal lobes which roughly speaking act as the brains filter while also playing a huge part in behavior, impulse control, executive function (i.e how do plan and execute an action) etc. Early signs is feeling depressed, anxiety, sleep disorder etc. People who are burnt out will feel extremely tires/exhausted, have the aforementioned problems with executive function. If you are lucky you can recover after quitting your job or getting fired, and be able to function at the new job (until you burn out again). If you are unlucky just sitting and talking to a doctor will exhaust you, and you won't be able to go into shops because all the sounds and impressions will overload you. Right now there aren't much you can do to get better other than slowly hope to recover as well as use behavior therapy to help cope with anxiety etc.
I'm always concerned about this for my wife. High stress, always on call, interoffice bullshit and basic middle management stuff. She's been in 10 so wants to make it through another 10 for retirement but I can tell it wears on her. Mine has occasional weeks/months like that but hers is nearly constant.

Modus Man posted:

Very happy for you, that must feel great. What kind of flooring are you going with? I’m bouncing back and forth between real hardwood and premium laminated flooring. I still have a lot of time to decide as we haven’t broken ground yet, but soon.
We looked at both but having dogs meant we went for 'luxury' vinyl. It's held up incredibly well to a 120lb puppy and all the other stuff we've thrown at it. It looks good, obviously not real wood, and cleans up super easy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

Later this year, our current car will require more parts and maintenance than the car is worth.

We've signed on a Skyactiv X Mazda 3 hatch :kimchi:
I'm getting to that point on the TDI. Will need a new timing belt ~$1200 job in 20k miles or so and I doubt it's worth more than $1k at this point. But we've owned it since 2008 and it's never let me down so I don't know.

everdave posted:

Hey I actually bought something because of a Facebook ad last night! AAA has Plus membership (4 free 100 mile tows plus $150 locksmith) for the normal membership price $67 until tomorrow. I actually didn’t renew AAA past 2 years first time in 15 years but now that I have a rolling fleet of 6-10
Crap missed it, I've been meaning to get AAA for a while but always forget and miss the sales.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It was the middle kids 5th birthday yesterday. He got an RC rock crawler kit. We’ve been building it together and it rules. I can’t wait for him to drive it! (So he stops driving mine)
I've almost bought a crawler so many times, they look like a lot of fun.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Impala feels like the brake rotors are slightly warped. All of my braking power is still there, it just feels like it's pulsing for a few milliseconds sometimes.

And here I was hoping my "buy an FR-S again, this time in cash" fund wasn't going to need to be dipped into...

Warped rotors are a lot more rare than people think, you likely have pad deposits. Do a few hard fast stops and see if anything changes. I'm talking 60+ down to 5 then right back to speed to brake hard again. Few of those back to back will clean your rotors off nicely. 2-3 is good though, street pads don't like this sort of stuff.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I try to avoid applying stereotypes when I deal with different people. However, over the past month, I've been dealing with car dealers. I have tried to be open minded, but I have over a dozen examples of them being lying, fraudulent, incompetent motherfuckers that will only tell the truth if you put their backs against the wall.

Some stereotypes exist for a reason. Maybe there are good, honest car sales men out there but I have yet to meet one. After our debacle with the local Toyota and Mazda dealerships we're skipping anything but carmax and carvana next time we go car shopping. I was honestly really disappointed the idea of sleazy car salesman was proven so quickly.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tremek posted:

Yeah, part of what I’m fighting is Mercedes only made 477? E63s wagons for the US market in 2014, and at any given time there’s usually about ~10-15 for sale nationally. They were all special order etc etc. TBD whether they fight me on this. At least I don’t have to fight them on diminished value!

I sent them 4 comps, 2 wagons that had silly Brabus and RENNTech builds on them ($115k and $75k respectively, lol - the $115k one is local though!) - and then two stock wagons in the $60s. The adjuster’s response was “ohh, ok, I can see why you’re telling me this, I need to talk to my supervisor.” Yeah ok thx.

Here's another to add to the list if you didn't see it already - https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-2014-cts-wagon-manual/6942579216.html

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is a Cadillac though.

Wow this week has really kicked my rear end

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Powershift posted:

very very wet 24 hours of spa about to start https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtyxbToiobs

Thanks, had completely forgotten about this. F1 at Hockenheim tomorrow morning as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tremek posted:

I'm at the point with my auto insurance where I may need to/choose to invoke the appraisal clause in my policy for the Mercedes, as the CCC report they're coming back with is not reflecting the value I think it ought to, big surprise there right?

Might be worth reaching out to Hagerty/Grundy/etc and see who they use for appraisals in your area. The ones I've worked with through Grundy were good to work with.