Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

Tremek, glad everyone is Okay. You let us know if there's anyway we can help!

Now, everyone in AI raise their hand who's going out ASAP and buying a new smoke detector for their garage.

I've never considered putting one out there but I probably should.

My current detectors are all hard-wired in the laziest way possible. Does any sort of 'wireless bridge' exist to make a battery-only detector also set off the ones in the house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is neat, though I legit wonder if the air next to the ceiling in my garage might get within spitting distance of that temperature during the summer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

As the owner of what was free but is six years later a four to five thousand dollar Labrador, I'd say it's worth it. I would probably default on my mortgage for that big dumb doofus. Maybe.

Had to put a catte down tonight after a couple grand in vet bills over the past few weeks.

Still worth it.

Also holy gently caress lawyer the hell up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hagerty has a similar rental program too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Humphreys posted:

To the aussies, out there - a question.

Do you know of any Laserdisks that were made to be adverts instore for Holden in the 80-90s? My neighbour was drunkenly talking last night about it and says he will take them and give to me.

EDIT: He is a manager of a dealership just to clarify.

Are you going to make an Aussie version of Big Bill Hell's?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Having owned a Brother color laser, I went back to monochrome after the rollers on the color hardened up enough that it didn't print reliably. It's far better than a color inkjet but you're basically managing four laser printers shoved into one box, and if you care about color printing, a low end color laser is only barely going to tick that box. You're still going to come out way ahead having anyone print color for you on a far better machine.

I have the monochrome printer because you never know when you're going to need to print something and it's cheap enough for that purpose. I'm not sure I'll ever run out of the original toner in it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Right, here's a challenge for you. Suspect Kastein might get this one.

My dad's sorting out the steering system on his Wolseley (1935 Hornet Special). The nut that holds the wheel on seems to be 7/8" and 20 TPI, which smells an awful lot like UNEF to me - however, trying to source a cheapish replacement nut is proving awkward.

I think the steering wheel nuts on some American trucks (as in tractor units) are this thread... but also, so are the pinion nuts on a number of Dana axles. I did try getting him a pinion nut for a Jeep, but what he got seems to be 14 TPI - suspect perhaps it's from a rear axle rather than a front axle or something like that?

So, anyway: Where am I likely to find a 7/8" 20 TPI nut (or half nut/jam nut, which may work better for him), in such a way as to be readily available in the UK cheap? So a "serviceable" component on a car sold here? I think the Jeep part number 4720895AB is a good place for him to start.

Seems like you might be onto it with that, and that seems to be a pretty common part. Rockauto lists the USA Gear 33146 as compatible, and lists applications for it including the YJ, TJ, and JK Wranglers, the Liberty, and the XJ Cherokee. I'm fairly certain you guys got the Liberty and Cherokee in significant numbers.

Edit: https://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-153...1-8-socket.html has some more detail to the applications, looks like a lot of Dana 30 front axles and Dana 35 rear axles. So WJ Grand Cherokees would also work, as long as it's the 4.0 and not the 4.7.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 8, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Aha! Yes, I think I got a 44 rear axle pinion nut, then.

Will see how he gets on.

The D44 (at least on the WJ) is a 7/8-14, instead of a 7/8-20. If 7/8-14 works for you, the pitman arm nut from just about any 70s-on US-made vehicle with a steering box is probably a good fit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boo, Rip Torn died.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've never understood the desire for huge TVs. We have a little 40" at home that is still quite nice and works fine, but it seems like it's impossible to get something that size anymore.

Costco and Target both have a shitload of sets at 50" and below.

I'm in no rush to replace my main TV, it's an older-ish 60" 1080p. With the thinner bezels on modern sets I could probably do a 65" in its place, but at the viewing distance my living room is set up for, the jump to 4K wouldn't do anything but increase how much bandwidth I use on the internet. Maybe I should just reorient my living room by 90 degrees.

My bedroom TV is an old 32" Roku and I mostly want to replace it because it's the equivalent of a very early Roku device in terms of hardware. Screen is fine but most modern streaming apps, Plex in particular, are really sluggish on it now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

:hmmyes:

Just get another xB, the devil you know.

He clearly needs a Rugger.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

So I should I replace my spare? It's never been exposed to the elements, but it is from 1993

How long do you want to be able to drive on it? If the answer is "any further than getting off the road", yes.

Data point: the original under-bed mounted spare on my '98 Ranger, when used in 2013, lasted about 15 miles of surface streets before catastrophic failure. In hindsight I should have just used it to get to the nearest tire store but it was already closed and I wanted to try and get it home.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

weiner mobile needs to be blown imo

Heyoooo

Though with a 5.9 Cummins, just add all the boost.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think the exhaust isn't as rough as it used to be, but yeah, when you see the pit crew putting on gas masks, it's for a good reason.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Looks even worse in that picture, there's a literal wall between the driver and passenger. Such a bankrupt design.

I want to like the C8 a lot because holy poo poo mid engine V8 at $60k, but that interior looks like it's trying to give the C5 a run for it's money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They won't. Fourthgens are still stupid money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

poo poo rocked but the best part was the crews and the crowd. Everyone was super friendly super nice we talked to a few of the crews about their set ups they were more than happy to explain poo poo. The fans were dope too. Hung out with some new Zealanders who were touring with the circuit. They were a great time gave us some beers and shared pics of their hot rods. The all inviting atmosphere was very unexpected and very welcomed.

Drag racing seems to be far and away the most accessible motorsport.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I run Supermicro, partly because it's generally cheap as hell used, partly because it's what we use at work (and I occasionally get cast-off hardware that way). I actually need to sell my old server, if anyone in AZ wants a 4U box with a couple of Xeon L5640s in it (I really don't want to have to ship that fucker).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So here is a topic for discussion I have been wondering about. The Lexus is a 1999, and the engine is the 2UZ-FE without VVT. It calls for premium, which is all I have used in it since I bought it until last fill up. The local gas station offers "clear" gas, which is ethanol free.

Premium grade and Ethanol Free are identical in price. The Ethanol free is only 3 lower on octane rating. My question for all, would you rather use the E free gas, or just continue getting premium with ethanol (ranges about 10% here). This car was made when ethanol was much less common. I filled the tank full of the e free gas, taking about 3/4 to fill it up. The engine sounds exactly the same, runs exactly the same and so far appears to be yielding slightly higher mileage. I will know for sure at next fill up some time next week. Should I continue the experiment? Come winter time I am MUCH more interested in the ethanol free fuel, because the "winter blend" that comes in locally is seriously such watered down piss fuel. Being able to continue to get good mileage in winter will be pretty sweet.

I'd watch it with an OBD scanner and see if there's any difference in ignition timing / knock counts between the two fuels. You're a ways above sea level, right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ferremit posted:

It’s not like it’s a really awkwardly shaped 50kg lump of metal that you’ve gotta install over your head or anything...

Or buy a speedometer gearbox? I had one on my C10 at one point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only way it could have been better would be if number one was a regular cab short bed Silverado with a choo choo boi.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

Thanks guys. Life feeling like a bad country song right about now.

I mean, the way you tell it you might be happier if the Raptor suddenly went away...

That's a loving poo poo sandwich, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

What's the best place to buy a car battery these days? Costco?

My NA Miata needs a new one and I don't want to spend a ton of money and had a ridiculous experience the last time I went to Autozone for a battery.

Costco, though I don't know if I've ever seen a Miata-sized AGM battery on the racks there. The only way the Costco warranty experience could be better would be if they drove the battery to you to replace it.