Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ground floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I made a cash offer on a used 2016 NX200T at noon today. I made the offer and had to leave, since I had a 15 week old puppy at home, and a 10 year old girl watching said puppy. Dealership hasn't even had the courtesy to reply. So, gently caress it, nastygram straight to the general manager that's been there for 34 years. We'll see how that goes. :toot:

Couldn't have been an easier sale. I showed up, looked the car over (they just got it, cosmetic and body damage I was accepting as-is), and offered cash. How loving hard is it to email a "yes" or "no" ?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

How much are they giving you to take it? :haw:

I'll try makin it pretty but i'm not a miracle worker

Don't need to be pretty when it gets my wife a heated steering wheel and ventilated seats in an appliance. :D

slidebite posted:

Saw this in the Walmart parking lot of a small town last week

Looks like a Powershift 'shop.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

Going to try to select a remediation contractor today and get the process underway. Nobody knows how it started, and I think that bothers me more than anything. Makes me feel uncontrollably unsafe.

You've just gone through another trauma. That unsafe feeling is perfectly normal, although I'm sure it just sucks. You're okay, your people and animals are okay, that's the main thing. Your house performed and protected you as designed, that's the next thing. It's all just sticks and nails and can be rebuilt.

Are there going to be any more investigations as to the cause? I can see how it can be a sticking point in your internal processing, but ultimately, it was a one-off, and you'll be able to find peace in time.

The smoke detector thing is interesting. I converted a loft to a bedroom last year and, since I did it by the book, I had to install additional smoke detectors. The way the laws are set here, there must be a smoke detector near the door of every bedroom and in the hallway outside the bedrooms. The upstairs bedrooms are at the end of a hall, and the new addition resulted in having three doors all together with frames almost touching... and smoke detectors right inside the doors (and in the hall). So there are FOUR smoke detectors, all interconnected, within about 15 square feet of ceiling space. But NONE in the garage, where all the burny stuff lives. Weird now that I think about it, and I've never thought about it before.

Take some space for yourself. You're in protect mode, which is awesome for your family, but it's over and everyone is okay. Make sure you protect yourself, too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

They're sensitive to heat and cold (especially the ionization type), and can be set off by car exhaust. That's why you never see them out there.

Good point. Seems like there should be something that can work and that would be mandated by the nanny state by now, though. :shrug:

Certainly makes me more cognizant about minding the garage.

Also, someone track these guys down and give them accounts. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQgh450XIgw

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

My brother just bought a brand new Mazda CX5 on Sunday. Today his wife tore a chunk out of the LF tire. :(

It's a threshold call, on the shoulder, with a minute amount of cord exposed. Is it dead?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fridge corn posted:

Cord showing? Its hosed

That's what I feared. Well, it got 120 miles on it before it was trash. :shrug:

Thanks, corn.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That's a next-level shitshow, Tremek. I wish I could say something of help or guidance, but you're into pro territory now. At least there's a clear and known plan for the doggo's rehab.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sad day for discriminating palettes. Terrible way to salute America. :911:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/03/us/jim-beam-warehouse-fire-kentucky-trnd/index.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

Palates. C'mon, Professor, you're better than that.

:eng99:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

AI confession thread: I'm considering buying a former rental vehicle. :(

2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland 2.0T, loaded. 23k miles. Jeep CPO with 2 years bumper-to-bumper and 7/100k powertrain.

My wife works literally across the street from the Jeep dealer, so when they need to fix broken stuff, it's not an issue.

On a scale of 1-to-Seriously?, how bad a decision...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Thank you. I just sat down to edit the OP to say: As I was talking about it with my wife, I recognized that I was speaking crazy talk.

You may now resume your regular chat session and I'll resume looking for a Lexus NX200T.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

I'd rate an N/A VQ-powered Xterra as a bit more reliable than a turbo Jeep.

And that was the point that my wife made that tipped me back into sanity -- yes, it's got a warranty until 2025, but who wants to keep dropping something off at the Jeep dealer to keep getting fixed. Good point. :coal:

But seriously, someone find me a 2016/2017 NX200t with 30-45k miles, (with Nav, heated cooled/seats, heated steering wheel) for under $25k. Thanks!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

Thanks. I sort of flippantly said to my wife yesterday, “maybe [re: our friends’ response] this means people don’t think we’re total assholes!”

I feel pretty pathetic right now though. Randomly crying in the hotel bathroom in the middle of the night isn’t a good look.

Nobody here has ever questioned your good-people-ness. But I'll reiterate -- that is trauma and you're still in shock. Have a soft landing spot picked out for yourself and the family. Stay strong, but know you don't have to hold everything together yourself.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hot take: The only thing worse than the illuminated star option on the new Mercedes cars is the illuminated kidney grille on the new BMW X6.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Jonny Nox posted:

Thanks for posting this by the way. More guys need to realize it's good and normal to cry under stress, and if we never talk about it, it won't change.

It's not pathetic BTW, but I know exactly how you feel because I've been there.

I cry all the loving time. It's not a sign of weakness, it's a sign of being human. You know all the fake tough guys you see that always brag about how tough they are? Fake. Real tough guys know that there's always someone tougher than you.

In the immortal words of Mike Tyson,

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Galler posted:

I guess a designer at BMW realized people weren't suffering the kidney grille at night

And it's done in such a cheap and lovely way so others are just going to be sticking LED strips behind the grilles and it'll be a thing. :barf:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

blk posted:

Plan B recently emerged: buy a $31000 Delorean near me and rent it out at a much higher rate. Captures the hearts and minds of all the loving hipsters in this town, and I'd have a Delorean on hand when I feel like driving a terrible car. It doesn't qualify for Turo but I think it'd work on Getaround. The downside is I'd have to worry about frequent clutch replacement from everyone who doesn't know how to drive stick.

Turo makes it extremely difficult to find manual cars to rent. I was looking for a trip earlier this year and I didn't realize until browsing for a while that I saw no manual cars. Then I found it buried not in the browse filters but in the settings to enable manuals to come up in searches.

That probably keeps a lot of randos from getting manuals, so the people that find them are actively seeking them out. I don't know if that's better or worse for you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

And the "gently caress you" of the day goes to... NISSAN! Congratulations and thank you Nissan for making an 02 sensor that my crowsfoot o2 sensor wrench won't reach, but hey, I can buy a DEEP crowsfoot 02 sensor wrench!

What is the engineering reason for putting the business end of an 02 sensor 1" deep into a cup? :mad:

The sensor in question: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076MSWGJ6

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

Because gently caress you, that's why.

I'd cut the pigtail off of the old one and pull it with a regular socket, red locktite on the new one and jam it into a hose to thread it in.

Sorry next owner, i'm the lovely PO of legend.

I pursued that avenue, even saw that the crimp on the new sensor has a flat that I could use to tighten it down properly, but it's my wife's car and my experiment tolerance goes way down on a Sunday before workday Monday.

Suburban Dad posted:

Can't use an o2 socket on that one?

Probably, but I've always just used the crowsfoot for 02 sensors, since you don't need to worry about crushing the wires with a long sensor, so that's all I have. I've got a set coming with both deep crowsfoot and deep socket tools coming Tuesday. :sigh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

For over 15 years I've heard printer excuses from students. For over 15 years I've told them that printers are dangerous and unreliable and you should never count on them to work when you need them. Lately I've been advising that they should always have a spare laser printer brand new in a box ready to pull out if need be. There's usually pushback on that with them saying they can't afford it. I quickly call bullshit on that and point out that you can often find name-brand laser printers on sale for $25 or $30, and there's really no excuse to NOT have a spare.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

2017 Kia Sportage SX with the turbo motor, 30k miles. Tell me why this is a terrible decision and I shouldn't buy it tomorrow at a good price aaaaaaanddd.... GO:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Burnouts will be minimal and underwhelming.

It's for my wife. I could count the number of burnouts she's done on one hand.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Seems like a loving husband would get her a car that can up that number then.

I was going to get an x3 or X5 with N55. Then I owned that BMW for more than a couple weeks. :D

Edit: Like she said talking about another car -- yeah, it has a warranty, but who wants to keep going back to the dealer to fix broken poo poo?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Moto G family for a capable but budget friendly phone

I've kept my son in Moto Gs and they've held up really well to constant, hard, teenage use.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Godzilla07 posted:

The Hyundai 2.0T is a turd that doesn't perform, doesn't get good gas mileage, and is unreliable. There's a big design flaw where the rod bearings don't get enough oil, causing the engine to seize up. H/K initially claimed that these problems were caused by a manufacturing flaw for early models with this engine. Then H/K quietly extended the warranty for vehicles up to 2018 with this engine. The turbo engines are far more failure-prone; IIRC it's a 4:1 ratio for engine failures between turbo and N/A.

Kia specifically will cover this issue for the lifetime of the vehicle, but I don’t think the Sportage is so good to deal with it in the first place.

Excellent info, thanks. I knew they had problems with the older motors, I didn't know that problem reached so far forward. I have several notes of service on the Carfax, one specifically says "Oil Change" at 6500 miles, but not a lot of info from 10k to 30k. I need to have one more record of an oil change in that mileage range or it's a no-go, because Kia requires 15k oil changes and they'll drop the warranty without proof of those.

pr0craztinazn posted:

I've put a little under 4000 miles on rentals in the US and Korea, so my experiences with them are not anywhere close to long term ownership. I found the seats were not the most comfortable for long journeys. Fuel mileage tanks if you have to deal with hills with the turbo engine the SX comes with, and the throttle calibration is biased to open up quickly to make it feel more powerful. Otherwise, it was surprisingly competent compared to the previous generation. They don't do the single wheel immobilization nonsense that Toyotas tend to when on mixed ice and snow surfaces at low speed.

I don't like non-linear throttle, but my wife is coming from a turbo/CVT combo in the Juke, and that's like driving a rubber band for response, so I imagine it'd be better than that.

STR posted:

"The update involves the installation of Knock Sensor Detection System software which acts as an early detection system for engine failures."

Wait. They put out a boosted engine without a knock sensor? They didn't have the knock sensor monitored before? Or they're tweaking the software to be sensitive enough to pick up spun bearings?

Looks like it's already a knock sensor controlled system, but they're adding an out-of-bounds parameter that'll point to rod knock: (P1326 –Knock Plausibility) http://mediaassets.abcactionnews.com/document/2019/KnockSensorand%20SC172%20Recall%20Media%20Statements.pdf

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 9, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dealerchat: Could they all do anything but live up to the lovely stereotypes? Christ, I've talked with almost a dozen dealers over the last week looking at Lexus NX200Ts and Kia Sportage SXs and they are all the loving same. I expect the puff, but something has changed with the dealers in the last 10 years that they don't move on the asking price... which is fine, that's their prerogative. But man, I had a deal last night on a Sportage about an hour from me, I was talking to the sales manager and we made a deal at the end of the day. I said that I didn't want to keep him and he said he'd give me a call first thing in the morning to get it settled. He said the dealership opens at 9:00, but he gets in around 8:30.

So I waited from just before 8:30 until just after 9:15. No call. I went out for a bit and came back to find he called at 9:25 and left a message with no apology whatsoever for completely blowing me off for almost an hour past when he said he would call.

If you don't have enough respect for my time and your word with a simple phone call, no way I'm making a deal with you, keeping basic promises is just common courtesy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Elmnt80 posted:

Now if he explicitly said "Hey, I get in at 8:30, I'll give you a call then."

He did.

Him: "I'll call you when I get in."
Me: What time is that?
Him: The store opens at 9:00, but I get in around 8:30.
Me: Okay, I'll talk to you then.

I understand poo poo happens and springs on you when you first get in, but then you lead the voicemail message with "I'm sorry, but..." not "Just giving you a call back from yesterday."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed, especially when it comes to anything involved with a dealership, and even more so with salesmen.

I mean, "keeping promises" and "car salesman".....Think about that for a second.

I know, but drat. If I was in that line of work, and I knew the stereotypes, I'd make damned sure that I didn't play right into them. I'm making good faith, cash offers for the cars. No work on their part other than transferring title and giving me the car.

Then again, if I was more skeptical, I'd think that I am not the kind of customer they want, because they can't soak me with lovely financing and other garbage.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

Seems a little harsh (he still called you back fairly early, within an hour window of when he said), but I have little expectations from dealers in the first place.

If that was the only thing, yeah. But of course it wasn't.

Check out the car: https://www.cadillacspringfield.com/VehicleDetails/used-2017-Kia-Sportage-SX_Turbo_AWD-Springfield-OH/3461100593
And the Carfax: https://www.cadillacspringfield.com...:o=%27carfax%27

It clearly shows 2 owners. One that had it for a few months and 3500 miles, then it went to a dealer and was in the dealer's inventory, then it went to the second owner a couple weeks later.

Only this dealership has a sales manager who swears up and down that HE was the salesman for the car originally, that HE dealer traded for the car and that it was one woman that owned the car for the entire time. However, there are a handful of discrete entries in the Carfax, and the Ohio BMV shows that the car had a title transfer in that period, too... that does not wash with a "one owner, I know her" vehicle.

Not calling me at 8:30 this morning, in fact calling over 45 minutes later and not apologizing was just the last straw... :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

I bet you're fun at parties. Also note I quoted ilkhan. Betting you have heard "it's not all about you" more than once in your life.

Lol. Welcome back, Tremek.

quote:

In other news, almost 300 miles on the Raptor, which I like aside from the angry minivan tragedy that is the Ecoboost powerplant answer to a question nobody asked. This truck would be 10x better with a forced induction V8, which watch Ford introduce next month.

That's a lot of truck to push around with a turbo V6. But I like the idea of it. Are there tuning options for power, or is Ford wringing out what it's got already?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

On the subject of KR, I don't know what gas the dealer filled it with before I drove off, and it's still at more than a half tank left, so I'm trying to not jump to conclusions and for the time being like to think they put 87 in it and it really wants 91 to run right.

It very well could be retarding it to the point that it feels sluggish. Give it a couple tanks of 91... is that the best you can get there? Come down to sea level and feed it some sweet, sweet 93.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I got the O2 sensor tools yesterday, and I'm glad I bought the 3 pack of crowsfoot, deep crowsfoot, and deep slotted socket. I am not a big fan of the slotted sockets because back in the day I had a stock O2 sensor that would just flare out the socket, but the crowsfoot took it right off because it was more rigid.

Anyway, the deep crowsfoot fit right in the new sensor, so I thought I was good. Then I went to the car and the cup around the original sensor was too small for the deep crowsfoot to fit. :mad:

Thankfully, I had the deep slotted socket and it fit in, barely. I wasn't happy with it at that point, and I didn't want to mess around, so I got out the new Milwaukee nut buster and blasted that motherfucker right out.

When I got it out, I could see a spot on the sealing side of the old sensor where exhaust has been blowing by for a while, which explains why the check engine light would go off on longer trips, since it'd expand and seal.

I hope the new sensor fixes the problem, I've been watching it for years and figured it was that sensor. I'll be kinda mad at myself if this does fix it and I could have solve the problem years ago if I wasn't so lazy (and hesitant to spend money in a guess fix).

Edit: Pic, sorry for the blurriness.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 10, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

BIL had open-heart surgery on Monday to replace a bad valve. MIL met with cardiologist yesterday, who told her...she has a bad valve.

BIL is my sister's husband, no relation to MIL.

Wow, that's a lot at once. The good news is that heart valves are like legos in modern medicine, so hopefully they'll both be fixed up and recovering soon.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

But yeah, to get to the rear plugs, or valve cover, the upper intake has to come off.

With some creative extensions and swivel-fu, you can do the rear plugs with the intake on, but it's not pretty.

Another day, another dealership fuckery story. Dead lead from a couple days ago contacted me and asked if there was anything they could do. I made them an offer, made sure they knew it was a bottom line offer, they accepted.

Found that the exhaust pipe to the muffler and the muffler itself was crushed (looked like it backed over something), they wouldn't move, so I was going to eat that.

After spending my entire loving morning going over stuff, salesman sends me a worksheet with a $250 documentation fee added. That's not "bottom line," gently caress heads. :fuckoff:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

Monitor chat: is 43" too big?

I am setting up a home office again, and I have a dozen monitors or more here at my shop I could take home (run a small computer store). But I also have a Samsung commecial grade 43" TV that my uncle had won in a sales contest before he passed away. It is new in the box. I have no need for it at home as far as TV's go, but would like to utilize it instead of selling it since it was really the only thing of value he had. But I am worried it is just too big or text won't be clear, etc...

Thoughts?

How old is the 43"? What's the resolution?

In TV chat, I have been sad that the market has moved away from 70" and left the choices at 65" or 75". I've got a 65" right now, wife acceptance of a 70" is approved, 75" is sketchy. In the meantime, I bumped into this deal at Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-...type=10&veh=aff

65" 4k TV for under $400 delivered after tax? Worth a shot.

It showed up yesterday and god drat, it blows away my 4 year old 1080p mid-line Visio in every objective way. Smaller bezel, brighter, better colors, way better blacks, more vibrant, much better sharpness and detail, etc.

For that price it's an absolute ripping deal. I'll get by with this one for a year or two and see where the industry heads.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

It's a Samsung 1080 2019 Commercial Grade TV (meant for displays or hotel use, restaurants etc...)

I don't really want to use it as a monitor but I hate for it to just sit here. I use a 23" touchscreen monitor at work and I find it ideal, but I sit close to it. My desk for my office at home is MASSIVE so I could set the monitor a few feet away at least if I did use the 43"

For me, resolution is much more important than size with a monitor. I've got a 4k display on my 17" laptop and the difference going from 1440 to 4k was huge. 1080 for a monitor would hurt my eyes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

drat, AA... glad you ended up okay. Are you going with another xb?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hey Rhyno, an incel losing his poo poo is going viral. Thought you'd enjoy this:

https://twitter.com/oliviabradley88/status/1148958211531268099

All I wanted was a bagel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

toplitzin posted:

Desk/monitor chat: