Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/ElizLanders/sta...agenumber%3D123

They found an M88A2 in good shape for this at least.

I’m the wrecker they sent because of the uncertainty of starting up a military vehicle, driving it a short distance and then turning it off for the day before returning to the lowboy/rail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Well wasn't it only a week notice that they wanted to bring some armoured vehicles into DC? Seems like a short amount of time for something that looks like a logistical nightmare

Yes. IIRC there's absolutely zero armored/tracked vehicles in the immediate area, let alone any of them that are parade ready. I can't think of a single post within 100 miles that houses an armored combat unit, it's all headquarters and logistics.

Some poor battalion commander got told with less than a week's notice they need to miracle up a handful of parade ready vehicles and transport them, an act that usually takes months of coordination, to DC - a region that does not have any sort of dedicated logistics crew for handling tracked vehicles.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I do not handle high humidity well at all. I would much rather be in the desert than the swamp.

The AC in my apartment is currently set to 62.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Dude, Colorado.

It's like 10-30% humidity, our nightly lows are in the 50s or lower, the heat is on from 8am to about 7pm right now, with afternoon thunderstorms intermittently. The winters are not terrible either.

I mean, should you ever leave the DC area, the weather here is pretty great, occasionally weird, and I'm sure there's work to be had out this way, albeit probably not competitive to your pay now.

My AC is on like from 4-8pm. I still use my heat late at night, currently.

I would return if I could.

But alas, I am cursed to live out the rest of my life in this forsaken swampland.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They closed the metro entrance this morning for an hour and a half and moved all screening to the main lobby. There were buckets all over the hallways in the E wing because water was coming down so fast (and sideways!) it started going into the AC inlets.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Odradek posted:

Yeah, I saw that today as well. It's only my 2nd week in the building and everything seems to be going to hell. Cool...this should be a fun tour.

You can get 6$ pizzas at the Fresh Market (across from Market Basket) on Thursday. Sausage and/or Cheese.

There's a Subway at 4th floor, corridor C. It's faster by a country mile compared to the one on the main food court.

edit: lmao hosed up my directions. Go to Apex 3-4, 4th floor, and look down corridor 4. You can't miss it.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 9, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I won't believe the census thing is done until the thing is printed, delivered, recorded, and house seats allocated.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think the people that will be salty about criticisms towards the president for decorum reasons are the worst of the bunch.

You can't say that, he's the president!

gently caress you, this is America, the whole point is that you can say the president is a fuckup without worrying about the goddamn secret police coming for you.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
50/50 chance that CNN apologizes for not sufficiently dressing up the dog and pony show.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That sounds like a challenge to me. Because I bet you they can.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If it's anything like other places in DoD where there's something of value, you'll know when you're not supposed to be there.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You don't even have to do anything lethal. Some CS gas and a few LRADs would deter anything but the most determined crowd. Americans are absolute poo poo at rioting compared to the rest of the world.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's no way the republican end game doesn't involve snapping up citizens and shipping them off regardless of citizenship status or where their people are originally from, correct

EBB posted:

Somebody's buying a piece of the farm if they come for my wife. I'm getting an eye at least.

This was literally one of the primary drivers for my ex to cut and run. She didn't feel safe in the country anymore and fuckin' bailed back to the mountains of Lebanon. Her argument "I know how this happens" and like less than a year later we've got citizens getting detained in camps "by accident".

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The most unrealistic part of the second Sicario movie was (spoilers I guess) that the entire operation halted and discontinued because the bad guys were found out to be American citizens. For an incredibly unrealistic movie totally not about this administration they absolutely hosed that one up. This administration will use any justification and hand wave away any possible reasons and nobody can stop them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I thought that the new Moneypenny would have been an excellent choice if they were going with a woman. But the fighter pilot from Captain Marvel is also good.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Of all the companies to have an illicit SAM network and a real paramilitary force, Disney is right up there with Nestle and like, DeBeers.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Bunch of jacked soldiers of fortune with unironic Mikey Mouse as the Punisher patches on.

Tank with “Steamboat Willie” written on the side.

Custom made titanium 30.06 sniper rounds with “only Mickey can judge me” engraved on the side.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The fact that white evangelicals make up 10% of the population but 25% of the voting population in 2018? 2017? should tell you all you need to know about what happens when demographic changes are a reality. People will cling on to power and grow more extreme.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
the democratic party is controlled opposition

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A lot of the power that the executive branch now uses was given to them over the last 20 years by congress being afraid to do their jobs because unpopular actions might cost them an election.

The Iraq War vote broke politician's brains.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only way I could see myself quickly paying off my very modest ~50k in student loans (that will be more like 65k when paid off, thanks interest) is to drop my cost of living down to practically zero , AND getting an extremely well paying job. Because if you don't do both of them, you're going to be paying those loving things off for a long time.

If you live in the middle of nowhere, marry someone as equally financial frugal as yourself, or have assistance from family it's doable.

I live in a high CoL area because I needed it to get a high paying job. Funny how that works. So after I pay off the rest of my credit card debt, the loans are next in line.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Paying off school and/or having free university would in fact have a considerable impact on retention and recruitment. Big Army has basically given up the idea of recruiting out of any places that have a 15 dollar minimum wage, from a readiness perspective anyway. They'll still send recruiters out there to push that stone up the mountain one last time.

Perhaps, and I'm just going out on a limb here, we shouldn't use the concept of a free or significantly reduced education (something that the rest of the civilized world has) as a carrot for our armed forces.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
As a fun bonus if you have multiple loans, go look on the FSA website and see how your money is distributed under the default settings. I had a loan for 600-ish dollars (it was a top-up of some other thing, I think) that by default had 8 dollars a month allocated to it. I paid it off over two months when I noticed that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We absolutely won't be reducing the number of positions that previously required a high school diploma but now require a bachelors. High school education is a total loving joke now and while I'm not exactly claiming that another 4 years magically fixes it, if we're going to somehow mandate/encourage HS level education for more jobs you're gonna have to do some serious education overhaul in the process. Plus you'll get plenty of pushback since it's also a class thing, but that has largely shifted to 'needs a graduate degree for the good white collar jobs'.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I would be overjoyed if we actually switched to a vocational college (with apprenticeships) / university system because it would solve so many issues related to post-secondary education. It's absolutely stupid how the divide exists now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I know I'm speaking from my white collar, beltway bubble over here but we don't hire people with just HS diplomas. Period. The person that runs the front office at reception on every floor? That person has a four year degree.

And on the consulting side, people with only a bachelors are lower labor that *for most fields* will top out at what someone with a graduate degree comes in at often enough. It's pretty crazy.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Delta V gonna get you.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
aluminum also gets you a delightful sound effect

crack ping, motherfucker

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
would you rather have the crack sound from a wooden bat

or the ping sound from an aluminum bat

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It started as a bit taken from WikiHow on 'how to give your cats pills' (with the crack ping) which was then photoshopped to Trump's head being forced to take the pills, crack ping, and then staring at a mcnaughton painting.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean it seems like a pretty easy situation to avoid going to prison. You just have to not commit a stupid amount of high profile crimes that can be proven in court while you're the president.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Cohen is also not really a lawyer, he's a fixer. He just has to scare people.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
https://mobile.twitter.com/AOC/status/1154852681523093505

get your money

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

colachute posted:

The SCOTUS ruled in favor of allowing Trump to use $2.5b Pentagon funding to build the wall.

Didn't democrats fold on something in exchange for not funding the wall?

it's hilarious because they're pulling funding from my old portfolio to make it happen

i mean, not *just* there, but it's like a 60% haircut for us

suckers

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 27, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Eagerly awaiting the Israeli Space Force just ripping off Mel Brooks.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I like to laugh at my fox news uncle because he says that living in Fairfax county is MS-13 headquarters for the eastern united states and he doesn't feel safe.

He lives in Centreville.

Like uh...ok then.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I know if I were him I would claim being hacked regardless of the context. Because what have you got to lose at that point.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1156379331960213508

ye

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think Warren is still the best policy person by far, and probably the best candidate to run this shitshow, but I still don't think she's going to win it. I am however glad that she's been crushing the debates and support has increased accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I was gonna make a quip about how European hate groups use the confederate flag because their own colors are illegal but then I remembered that Pepe exists and is functionally the same.

Then I also realized that eventually they'll go back to saying the loud part in public and it won't matter.