Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
This Comic Has No Dialogue.

Twelve by Pies posted:

And that's pretty incredible that both Bilbo and Sam were able to willingly give up the ring, if a non-hobbit had to hold the ring even for just a little while they would very likely would have hesitated to return it.

What happened with Boromir was a perfect example of this. He was known and noble enough to be a representative at Elrond's council, and became a member of the Fellowship, but even just holding the chain the ring was attached to made him consider keeping it for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nope she was immediately fixed when Snout found that flower, which included relearning language and writing skills. No, I am not joking.

Snout was (poorly) teaching her how to read and write while they were wandering around, before they met up with Ink Witch in Maltak.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

She poured Swamp Water onto the paper, then plopped ink onto that and the Swamp Water dragged the ink into those strokes. She didn't draw them with her brush, so they aren't going to look like her normal writing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

At least when Snout got dunked on, there was no dirt puff that was completely misaligned to where the actual impact (and this Snout's feet) was.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Wasn't it the Official Callanian Infernomancers who destroyed the land of Maltak. And then they got assassinated by the Church to cover up the kingdom using literal devil wizards to commit genocide.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The Orc infernomancers (Bulgak at least) were using devil magic to figure out how to reverse what the human infernomancers did. It's brought up way back when the War in Hell started.

https://www.dominic-deegan.com/comic/1109-20060131/

Unless orc infernomancers got retconned later in the story, they started doing it in response to humans loving everything up with it.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 3, 2022

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Cloche posted:

This + her punching snout (didn't that happen......... at some point?????) makes her an easy candidate for best character

She punched Snout multiple times, and basically showed that if her rage fits lasted longer, she was capable of killing him with her bare hands.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

Arudak is the most poorly defined character because he's the only defined character, Snout and the Corpse Wife are just along for the ride. I don't even know why the Ink Witch is still hanging around, surely anything else can provide speech-to-text services.

Hey now, Kaianda has at least changed and developed (poorly, though her girls' day with Ink Witch was kinda sweet) over time as a person, so she is a step above Snout. Snout has straight loving regressed as a person, has lost all personal initiative, and can barely think for himself.

It needs repeating that Adventurous Goof Snout was a far better character than Snout, He Who Licks Windows And Fucks.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Dalris Othaine posted:

who was the goon who predicted that "bog witch" is just like, her day job?

"welp time to clock in gonna change into my rotted seaweed and wait for randos in need of guidance"

Snout did see her walking through town in her mom jeans after Arudak congratulated him on getting orc pussy (which became even more problematic after Mookie said Arudak loved his girlfriend/wife because she gave the best blowies).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Didn't he already have this exact "You're already on the path" dream when he fell asleep reading Dominic's book on lucid dreaming?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

He's supposed to be crouching to hide his boner under the water. Which was not clear at all until reading that tweet.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

GreenMetalSun posted:

...and I mean, there being different 'types' (or races, or ethnicities) of orcs would be a good plot in the hands of a talented writer. In fantasy settings there are usually like, High Elves, Wood Elves, Faerie Elves, Moon Elves, Star Elves, Dark Elves, Winged Elves, Sun Elves, Seasonal Elves, Stone Elves, etc., orcs can be diverse too.

Tolkien's goblins and orcs were like that. Goblins and orcs were from the same overarching race/species, and there was a lot of cultural and physical variation between the different groups within them. Goblin Town goblins were different from the Moria goblins, who were different from the Mordor goblins.

They just didn't get any special name beyond where they were from. But then the elves were the same way, with even dark elves just being named that because they lived underground.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Robot Style posted:

What would that even mean for a Mongrelman? Isn't the whole point that they're the All Dressed Chips of D&D races?

Yes, Mongremen are just random chimeras that are born that way because something something Wild Edge. Is it even possible for them to interbreed with other peoples?

And Snout has no similarities to the orcs other than being humanoid, their diet, and Mookie-face.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Remember that desperate attempt to hook Redactor and Dude (gently caress is his name?) back into the story, by saying Arudak joined the orc nazis because Dude was his racist teacher.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

GreenMetalSun posted:

We can make fun of the person saying, 'Hey, did you know? Uh, Gay people are human?' a little bit.

As a treat, for Pride Month.

They said "Pride Month good, companies putting up rainbow flags once a year bad. These people should be treated like people all the time."

Also the rest of those linked posts are obvious dumb jokes. Come on, did nobody snort at street food?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Emrikol posted:

What is Snout doing?

Pulling the vines off the ceiling.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Mookie, how are their dreams connected? When was the last time they appeared in each other's dreamscape?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Still mad about the deaf patch. Every time I see it I seethe a little more. He's in his home, why is he wearing it?

It's sewed onto all of his clothes. It's a stupid, stupid patch, but he can't take it off and on at will.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

This really is where Mookie’s writing has, somehow, impossibly, fallen off. As bad as DD was there were always specifics, things had names and details and they were generally bad but there was some base level of specificity.

What even is this afflicting Corpse Woman? Some kind of aftereffect of necromancy but we’ve never been told why or to what end or how.

It's because she was born from horrible semi-sentient Necromancy Vines. Said vines reproduce by consuming people's flesh and souls to spawn an artificial person, which then travels elsewhere and eventually bursts into more vines. Sunflower guy doing...whatever he did, was supposed to at least keep her from exploding in Maltak, which would result in Necromancy Vines sucking up the land's magical energy to grow.

This is happening right now because Mookie decided we needed some drama to attempt to distract from Arudak and Snout being complete fuckups.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

So I guess the giant flower monster just vanished?

It went back underground. Because it can tunnel through the ground, like a flowery graboid. That's how it got Sunflower, it burst out of the ground behind them and lunged.

This thing with skin fragile enough for Snout's weight to easily tear it apart like an onion survives by tunneling through ground.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Emrikol posted:

We don't actually know that that's what's happening. That's our conjecture as the obvious answer given what's been suggested and established, but there's currently no textual confirmation.

Yea, I think the answer (if it even gets one) is going to be that it was just regular wildlife that nobody told Snout to watch out for, since Deegan already established that plant-beasts were all over Maltak, and that the orcs hunt them for food. The first one might be one of Sunflower's people, though, since it backed off once he showed up, while the flower ate him immediately.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

maltesh posted:

I'm pretty sure the vine-drenched professor believed the vines were disassembling the unnamed Mongrelfolk friend he gave to them to make Kaianda as a blank-slate wife for him, not as a secondary body.

I don't remember what it is that the Vines were actually doing in creating her. Possibly some sort of offspring dispersion method?

Yes, the vines spoke to him and warped his mind until he threw his mongrelfolk friend into them. The realization of what he did broke the mage even further, and when the vines started building Kaianda, he was convinced that they were making a wife for him from the lifeforce of his friend.

They were actually making her so she would kill him (which she did), then wander off to burst into another batch of vines on new land and start the process again. This last part is exactly why the crew were heading back to the Wild Edge, but Mookie gonna Mookie so we're seeing whatever this all is instead.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

200 years is long enough to grow out of your skeletal arm phase.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Lol that Jacob really did take the mask off deliberately.

200 years did nothing to lessen Jacob's intense desire to troll people with necromancer shenanigans.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

We know he taught Arudak and was also mean enough that Arudak became a Nazi afterwards.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Emrikol posted:

I like how we introduced the idea that Dominic's Legacy can be used to meddle with history and that doing so would be a bad thing immediately before a second encounter with our villains, establishing something that could be used as stakes in a greater conflict, but it's a member of Team Protagonist who we're told aims to do so, not our nominal villains. We have not one jot of direct suggestion as to what the antagonists want.

All we know is that they apparently want to stop people from gettingdoingeating Dominic's Legacy, which is why they keep loving with Snout's diary. Which, uh, seems to be a good thing if it lets you gently caress with spacetime.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Jacob continues tapping his foot and checking his watch.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Maybe her fist is meant to have hit it and been deflected downward since she's punching at an angle, but her momentum kept her going forward until her shoulder hit it.

But for that to be clearer we need a lot more than what Mookie gave us. And it still relies on THE REDACTOR being able to invisibly and instantly cast spells without moving at all.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Drakyn posted:

The Legacy of Dominic Deegan's fistfights are extremely normal depictions of unarmed combat as long as the unarms in question belong to Carnotaurus.

See? Total anatomical accuracy.

Love that every T-rex adjacent dinosaur had tiny little baby arms.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Yea I meant the dinosaurs that could fit as T-rex "reskins" in a videogame (tyrannosaurids in general, carnotaurus, allosaurus, torvosaurus, etc). Big theropods with lil arms in comparison to the rest of their body. I know their arms were generally used for something, but they were still relatively tiny things that look funny and cute.

Dinosaurs rule. Except cassowaries. Those are dinosaurs that do not rule.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

More happened in that one recap than through most of Legacy.

The villain is actually being fought on-screen! The characters communicate!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Gonna be revealed that one of Snout's mongrelfolk characteristics is that his bones are only loosely connected, like a snake's jaw.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

It's not even broken in the right direction.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Remember Snout seeing the swamp witch in town the next day, and she's just wearing casual clothes on a shopping trip.

And he never asked what her name was despite writing that he should in his diary.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Would prefer a horror comedy webcomic about this weird little cat man. Like, everyone but Dominic is extremely weirded out by it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Starting a genocidal war just because some random dude wants to live with the orcs next door.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Medenmath posted:

I hope it's this because a personal diary having a dust jacket makes no sense, and also dust jackets are a very "modern publishing" thing so it would be really out of place in a medieval fantasy setting.

Deegan stopped even pretending to be medieval fantasy the moment the magic electric guitars appeared.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Cloacamazing! posted:

Also how the gently caress do you decapitate someone with a hammer?

Hit them really, really, really hard at just the right spot on the head/neck with a large enough hammer. Which she did not do.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

They didn't even drop the book? They just got pelted and left?

Yup, they accomplished what they came for and got to kick Snout's rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

SubG posted:

It used to be true that the pages were Arudak's and the Ink Witches stole them because he was being difficult, but now it's Arudak who stole them apparently.

Mookie changed it when Jacob was introduced. Arudak stole the pages from him, then the witches stole them from Arudak.