Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

After DD ended, someone made a "documentary" about it, which is really just some one-sided interview clips of Mookie talking about his comics for 35 minutes. I don't know if he's spoken about the reactions to his comic at length elsewhere online, but maybe interesting to get his perspective on why he thinks people did or didn't like the comic and what he was trying to do with it.

There's also a few weird things, like admitting that the Dominic character got him kicked out of his D&D group for being too annoying, or how nearly every anecdote he tells about fan interactions is about how important he is to some girl he just met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

He said as much in that "documentary" video. He thinks people who criticize his art for staying the same over 11 years do it because they're mad at him for not changing his style, and doesn't even consider that it's because his art should have improved after doing it for so long.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I wonder how much of this is Mookie working through his own issues rather than just trying to tell a very problematc story. Remember, this whole arc started when he had to take a trip to a cabin because

mookie posted:

At four months in to this quarantine and counting, I’m at the end of my rope. I’ve run out of creative ways to entertain my five year old son, and I find myself snapping at him at the slightest provocation, or in worse cases no provocation at all. All our avenues of “escape,” from my backyard (which is falling into disrepair) to the usual routes where we take our walks, fill me with disdain. My wife tells me she’s “afraid to come home from work to find me in a state of aggravation.”

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nothing super detailed in his blog posts, but the end was described as "abrupt" and impacted his self esteem, so I could see how it could be read as him crossing a line somewhere.

Mookie posted:

I’ve been battling a bad case of depression for the past few weeks now. This latest and lengthy bout with depression comes from a singular source, and I’m finally ready to speak about it: My working relationship with The Slaughterhouse Sweethearts recently came to an abrupt end.

Mookie posted:

I’ve been seriously down-in-the-dumps since my dismissal from the burlesque troupe I was a part of. It unearthed a lot of self-esteem issues that I’ve struggled with for years, triggering a two-month bout of depression that made me feel “absent” from October, my favorite month and host to my favorite holiday.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 29, 2021

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I'm assuming the act of kindness is plantman giving her his cape, because Mookie forgot that she already was given clothes.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Do you think Mookie's actually devised a simple conlang for this, or is he making it up as he goes along? Like, if he can't understand any part of the note, then it should include zero words in common with those walls of text he was poring through earlier, right?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nobody invented skyscrapers yet, I guess.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Bismuth posted:

I'm still bewildered by this, it really feels like Mookie forgot what the comic was about

Which is funny considering his blog post from last week:

Mookie posted:

Now that you’re all more familiar with Snout, the Ink Witch, and Arudak, I feel like it’s time to really get into the mystery of Dominic’s legacy.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

No dialogue in this comic.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

How does this compare to the pacing of the original run? Legacy's updating less frequently, but has more room on the page to move things forward, so 2 years of each should be comparable.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Has there been any Ink Witch lore established beyond this page?

This implies Ink Witches are like Rumpelstiltskin and don't tell people their names, but not that they don't have names at all.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

According to his blog post, he seemed to like the convention overall because so many people told him what a good boy he is.

quote:

Without the possibility of casual hugs or even handshakes, affection had to be expressed vocally, making for an abundance of heartfelt moments.

And what heartfelt moments they were. I received more expressions of love than I was expecting, both in words and tokens of appreciation! Many folks told me they missed me, with some even going so far as to call my hosting of the Cosplay Death Match “the heart and soul of ConnectiCon.” There was the kind gift of Star Power fan art. There was the young lady who gifted me a copy of her novel because an old panel talk of mine inspired her to complete it. There was another young lady who became so inspired by the very sight of an independent comic artist selling their work that she felt confident enough to pursue her own art again. There was the young man who found solace from his social anxieties in the wild freedom of the Cosplay Death Match. I could go on and on. The abundance of love was food for my starving soul.

Then there was the Cosplay Death Match, the event I host every year that’s become not only the main event of ConnectiCon, but arguably the heart and soul of the show.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

At least the last time he did something like this, he bothered to post a warning about it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh also the renewal spiral is backwards. You'd think that would mean something, but it probably doesn't.

Snout's got it written down backwards (only in that panel). Every other time it's matched the one in the water...

Except when Renewal has a totally different symbol.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 29, 2021

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Well yeah, you wouldn't want Snout to ever have to lose anything he's going to miss.

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1443245156044525571?s=20

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The advertisement is the Monday comic.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

"Another" is just the orcish word for Twizzlers.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Turns out Deegan fans do exist in the wild:

https://twitter.com/LoadingCrew/status/1447719673848598528?s=20

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

ANUL

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

TheHan posted:

Wonder how often Mookie searches Dominic Deegan on twitter hoping someone, anyone, is still out there reading.

The thread most of Mookie's retweeted praise comes from tagged him directly, so he's probably (hopefully) not that desperate yet.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It seems like this is supposed to make him choose between his two alleged traits - Curiosity and Kindness. In standard storytelling, Snout's curiosity would be his "want" - his motivation to drive the plot forward but doesn't fulfill him internally, while his kindness would be his "need" - the thing he has to deal with in order to overcome his internal struggle and become a better person.

He started the comic alone and unable to communicate with other people, so in a normal story all the people he's met would become a family that supports him, and people that he would risk himself to save after a lifetime of (presumably voluntary) isolation.

In a normal story, it would be fine for him to choose his want over his need - going off alone should present him with challenges that he can't overcome without the others, and make it clear that he can't achieve his Want without also achieving his Need. It would even be fine for him to be selfish and not care about the others up until this point, because that would be a character flaw he needs to overcome.

But his constant complaining about not being the center of attention and his sheer determination to not engage with the world and people around him aren't treated as a flaw. It's no secret that Dominic Deegan is based on Mookie's D&D character, but Snout is like the character the DM's friend made who doesn't play D&D and refuses to engage with the game, but is somehow still the de facto protagonist because the DM likes him.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The whole thing started out with Snout looking into lucid dreaming, and there were books talking about structure and order in dreams, so maybe Arudak's trying to pull his dead girlfriend out of his dreams somehow.

Though I don't know why her loving someone else would affect that, since presumably it would be a version of her that he created himself.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

In what way is Arudak's heartbreak none of their business? The whole reason they even went on the trip in the first place was to find a Chandak who could help him resurrect his dead wife.

Also, Snout's reaction to people not filling him in on something that's "none of his business":

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1461079174899245059?s=20

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

Mookie's weird hang-ups about sex positivity and racism combine to give us Arudak, who has placed the various races of women he's hosed on a tier list for their sexual abilities.

Was this done on purpose? Is Arudak's comment supposed to be a callback to Mookie's patreon drawings?
https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1470801680900018189?s=20

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arudak doesn't miss his wife, he just misses getting his dick sucked.

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1479116124843221003?s=20

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

So he can keep getting invited to do his 'writing memorable heroes and villains' panel at conventions.

And what an enthralling panel it is.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

It's would be like wanting to be a great artist, but you hate taking art classes.

I've known a lot of people like this - they like the idea of being something, but don't actually put the work in to get there.
If that were an actual character trait that Snout had, it could be interesting - Mookie's convention panel about writing characters included a segment about writing what you know and giving your characters your own least-cool characteristics and flaws.

Because people like that aren't necessarily just lazy - oftentimes they have depression or ADHD or something else going on that makes it much more difficult to do the things they want. Especially in a setting that isn't as advanced as ours (ignoring the ink spaceships), exploring a character who is curious and wants to learn about things, but also has to overcome a disability to do it would be an interesting ongoing conflict that's probably relatable to a lot of people. Yeah Snout's deaf, but all it's ever used for is when he pouts about not being included on conversations, and then has everything explained to him in a text dump anyway.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Well, yeah. Only bad guys ever need to work for anything. Good guys get what they want dropped into their laps, fully formed.

That actually gets mentioned in Mookie's panel too - he doesn't like the trope of warrior characters constantly training for their upcoming battles at the expense of character development, so he seems to have overcompensated to the degree where characters who do any degree of preparation are coded as villains.

Mookie posted:

Going back real fast to quirks and such. And the big brawling baddasses that we just love to root for. In my experience they don't seem to have a whole lot of interesting quirks. They don't seem to have the human hook that I really can relate to. It's always the same thing to me - they always seem to be training:

:black101: Training for the fight that is my destiny. The fight that will save everyone. And I must fight because the fight is everything and I must train.
:smuggo: Well what do you do when you're not training?
:black101: I'm training for the training session! It's a very deadly fight. The training must mimic the fight, and it's very deadly. So to train I must train.
:smuggo: Do you read?
:black101: Training manuals! What do you read, [F-slur]?
:smuggo: Dungeons & Dragons books, you rear end in a top hat. I know what THAC0 is.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, he acts it out onstage and everything.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's all very specific and very weird tropes that, for the most part, don't really exist or don't make sense.

Even the specific examples he cites are way off base. He mentions sci-fi scoundrels who don't care about fighting the Empire, and how they always only have a change of heart once their beloved ship is destroyed.

Or his reference to The Usual Suspects, which he thinks is a story where the police arrest a person who they know is Keyser Söze, but he's so smart that he convinces them to let him walk free.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Breetai posted:

Please show me where to find this because it sounds amazing.

There's a few of his panels up on youtube, but this one has the Usual Suspects anecdote (at 7:39 if it doesn't start there).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, to his credit when he does differentiate between when he's citing specific examples, and when he's just being extremely evocative of existing characters that don't quite fit but he doesn't have a better example on hand.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mookie posted:

Somebody once said - "If left to their own devices, good people will do good things. Bad people will do bad things. But if you want a good person to do bad things, you need religion."
And I was like "Ooh, that's harsh... but kinda right."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

A couple of times on twitter he's mentioned stuff in Legacy being expanded on in his Patreon, so maybe he's just doing it as the world's worst advertisement.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Emrikol posted:

Oh, I hope we aren't in for a week of this.

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1483125510574161923?s=20

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

In his convention panel about writing characters, he never once says that a protagonist should have a goal they're trying to reach. The only time he mentions it is when he makes up an imaginary jock character who has a single-minded focus on training for the big fight, and notes this as a storytelling weakness. He seems to have an aversion to protagonists having any individual motivation whatsoever, and gets frustrated with an imaginary Han Solo type character who "has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the obvious flow of the rest of the story", because they don't want to get involved with the plot until it affects them personally.

Villains on the other hand, are allowed to have motivations. He specifically cites comic book villains like Ra's Al Ghul or Ozymandias who have noble motivations (like creating world peace), but horrific methods (like nuking Manhattan with a psychic squid). In the types of media Mookie likes, heroes are purely reactive - they have something to stop but not something to do.

So because villains create scenarios for heroes to react to, and a real hero would never fight against the flow of the story by having their own motivations, the story of Legacy can never move forward until someone evil does something that Snout has to react to.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know that nori exists but "tastes like seaweed" doesn't really sound like a selling point to put on the side of your box.

Yeah, but Snout loves bog stank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

How will all the conflict be averted?
  • Punching is just a standard Orc greeting, and they're actually friends?
  • This guy is the "other" that Kazya loved, but is actually just her brother/son/father/gay best friend?
  • Snout is knocked to the ground, bashes his head on a rock, and wakes up three weeks later with all the other characters gone again?