Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Hot drat, what a thread. I finally caught up.

I first encountered DD when a friend showed me one of the physical printed books. It started with the first comic and ended with that comic of Dom and Luna cuddling on the floor. I admit, I like the 'Seer's Catalog' thing, and the 'newspaper strip' gags at the beginning, it's the kind of dumb stuff that every D&D group does and I can't hold it against the guy.

HOWEVER, even today, I remember that the book ended with this self-congratulatory essay that Mookie had written about himself (I don't know if it was exclusive to the printed books or if it ever appeared on the DD website). In it, he has a good long wank about how brave, inclusive, feminist, and ground-breaking his work is, and how no other author in history would dare to portray an ugly love interest for the main character.

...and just, by literally any metric, Luna isn't ugly, AT ALL. She's a blonde (or strawberry blonde? redheaded?), blue-eyed, conventionally attractive, clear-skinned, skinny white woman with cute snaggletooth fetish fangs. Like, what representational barriers does the dude think he's breaking down?

Storm from the X-men (and this is not to say that she's a perfect or even a great example, I'm aware there are plenty of problems with her portrayal), a black woman who's portrayed as powerful, competent, and goddess-like is a million times more progressive than anything Mookie has ever done just by virtue of existing. Hell, doing nothing other than putting Harmonious Jade on the cover of the first-ever Exalted book blows their entirety of DD's run out of the water. I bring these up specifically, because he's obviously cribbing from X-men and anime superheroes.

Also, I think one of the cool ideas he flirts with is but doesn't stick the landing on is that even though 'Seer Vision' is always 'right', Dom lacks perspective, or he only sees part of a 'technically correct' picture that leaves out other important details. I think there's a lot of good story potential there, but I assume at this point we're in full DBZ mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Something else is that I think on some level, Mookie understands that 'rich white woman attempts to frame poor black man for rape' and 'bullying disabled and/or gay people' are bad things for a person to do, he just lacks the ability to approach the topic with nuance, respect for the victim(s), or tact. I truly feel that no one should have to censor themselves, but the dude needs to have a critical eye for what topics are going to land gracefully in a gag-a-day comic.

You know how there's a small group of sycophants who never clued in how bad the comic was? My best friend in late middle/early high school was one of them. I keenly remember the 'Bumper is black!' reveal, because I remember her trying to frame it to me in social justice terms and ranting about 'Hey, did you know that there are a whole bunch of people online who are mad that Bumper is black?' and 'Hey, did you know that there are a ton of stupid people who didn't know from the beginning that Bumper is black?'.

Girl, how could anyone have figured that out? All the characters have the exact same face/body.

I sort of regret sitting her down and trying to explain to her why people didn't like how it was handled (though I'm sure there were people being racist about it, that was not the majority opinion by far), because she stopped talking about the comic to me after that. Which was fine at the time, because it meant I no longer had to read it so she could talk to me about it. Now, I sort of want to know how all of this was filtered through the lens of a superfan.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Wasn't there already a comic that established that it's relatively easy to make/scavenge clothing in the Wild Edge? Like there are trees that grow leather leaves or something? Snout could have at least tried to get something for Corpse Bride to wear (why do none of the female character have names?) to protect her from the elements.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

Electric guitars exist, as do superhero comic books. While I don't remember anyone using a camera on-panel specifically, as people are saying, there are more than 3,000 strips of Deegan Unfiltered, so some just slip through the cracks. Even if no one does it, I wouldn't be surprised if someone had an irate demon in a box that paints pictures in a fashion indistinguishable from a polaroid camera, like in "The Color of Magic" or some similar thing to flatten Mookie's fantasy world every time he has the opportunity to do the tiniest amount of worldbuilding and completely shits his pants.

Considering how popular it was at one time, it's weird that he never released a 'Guide to My Fantasy World' or something like that, for people to set D&D games in. Is there even a map?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Honestly, I wouldn’t have necessarily minded the schizophrenic “medieval-ish urban fantasy with tons of modern trappings” setting of DD if it had actually been acknowledged in the comic, and maybe even became plot relevant.

Lots of settings do this and do it well, I'd probably point out Discworld as one of them. Ebberon has trains, printing presses, and artificial flight. Some of the M:tG planes have very modernish tech. It can definitely be done, it's just Mookie's world is so poorly realized.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

That's going to get super unpleasant in about two comics' time

There's something real off-putting about him using his kid's writing as the writing of the mentally infantile child-woman that Snout is going to dick down.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I guess I'm confused about the flow of events (and I say this as someone who has once spent time writing out laws for magic users for a homebrew setting):

Greg gets into a fight with the sportsball players, their team captain is later murdered by Celesto.

Later, TIM (???) attacks and destroys the town, though the townspeople are saved by Greg.

Greg is somehow held responsible for the damages caused by TIM (???) and has to pay back the Kingdom (???)

Brakkis offers to pay off the debt, but in exchange, they have to sell the town to him so he can build a stadium (???)

...presumably to honor a guy he didn't know and/or only met three days ago (???)

This is presumably a legal battle story, but we know nothing about how laws apply to magic users and why the attack was blamed on Greg (???)

Is that about right?

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 20, 2020

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

TheHan posted:

I think even if Dominic’s visions are 100% accurate all the time a good writer can squeeze some story potential outta that by making the conflict come from him having to prove it. If Dominic’s just some loser from the boonies, what could he do to stop a powerful banker (or whatever Serk is. Is he just...a rich guy? Does he own land? What does he sell?) that has the government and media on his side? Instead Dominic is from a much more powerful family with far more influence. All good men trust him instinctually and all evil doers crumble at the sight of his big brain.

Yeah, one of the things that's caused some drama (the good kind of drama) in my D&D games is that in most nations, testimony gathered via speak with dead isn't admissible in court. So even if the dead guy tells you that Steve murdered him, now you have to go out and actually find evidence on Steve. It's even more applicable in 5e, where the corpse can willingly omit information or lie if it wants to.

As someone else said, how common are Seers? Celesto seems to lived one town over from Dom, and one of his mother's students is also a Seer. If there's one in each class of the magic school, that could be like 1/40 people, not exactly rare.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

It's weird how Snout's pretty hairy, but his dick and balls are baby smooth.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

One thing I noticed about the old strips is how none of the panels are drawn with straight lines. Fucker's so lazy he couldn't grab a ruler or something.

If I'm remembering correctly, he actually got called out about it a few times and was like, 'That's just part of the style/charm!'

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

DamnitGannet posted:

Im still loling that snobby rich dude decided to go through with the plan to kill Luna because she made him use a magic condom. those loving jocks and their sex having!!!

It's weird that with magic so advanced and specialized (there's FTL travel in the form of teleporting, for one) that there's not like, just a potion that you can drink that makes you sterile until you drink the antidote. Whatever alchemist figured that out would be loving rolling in dosh. Instead the best they managed over presumably thousands of years of civilization was literally a condom, but in spell form. If Mookie was trying to make a point about those jerk guys who manipulate innocent women, it's buried under a mountain of his own issues.

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 29, 2020

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Just chiming in to say Corpse Bride is 100% intended to be black, and I'm guessing her hair is supposed to kinky and/or dreds. Look at her hair in comparison to Snout's.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

I loving hate Barthas. So much bad Deegan is filler poo poo in Barthas. Jerk jocks, Battle for Barthas, Supergreg, Urban Eddie, loving Facebath.

I quit reading after Luna's evil sister getting murdered rear end-up, but I'm so loving stoked to experience all this for the first time.

On the other hand, take care of yourself LD.

Real talk though - it would have been better to have had Stunt kill her.

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 6, 2020

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I'm just sick of the constant nudity. I think I would care about it less if it was competently drawn but it's just, not. I feel like I'm reading a 13 year old's first goes that he'd die of embarrassment if anyone else saw, but instead it's a grown rear end man gleefully showing us his incompetently drawn titties and hosed up balls.

Honestly what really bothers me is that all the women apparently shave this tiny part of the labia but leave the rest of the bush intact. Feel like it's some fetish I don't know about.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

I noticed the weird pubic hair pattern too, didn't know how to bring it up, but yeah that's weird right?

So were these two not captured by villains as implied? Are they no longer in peril?

It would be, uh, fairly awkward but not impossible, to shave your bush like that (and weird that two women are doing it in the exact same way). I feel like part it is Mookie wanting to be like, 'I drew the female bits as well! I'm so progressive and sexually liberated!' but since they're internal bits, he feels like he's got to show something. Or again, it's some weirdly specific fetish.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Speaking of Mookie's erection...

Oh no. What a shame.

The anatomy on this. :0

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
The whole 'cultural appropriation' thing is weird to me, because Melna is an orc who practices this type of traditional orcish drumming, and she can choose to do it however she wants.

It really smacks of that whole thing where a male protagonist says, 'Wait! You can't do that! Don't you dare take another step!' to his female companion only to have her smugly respond, 'Why not, because I'm a woman?'

Then it'll be something like, 'No, because the bridge is out!' proving that the man is not only not-sexist, but the objective master of logic and reason and the woman is jumping at shadows and imagining sexism everywhere.

If the orc homeland was invaded (within the lifetimes of every character in this comic), and there are these pillaged sacred drums all over Callahan, and there are rando human dudes pretending to be chandak drummers - to the point that the orcs are willing to invade a village over it - you would think the Deegans would have been smart enough to like, at least feature Melna on the poster.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Lemony posted:

I never thought about it when I first read the comic way back when, but the whole thing with Dominic's father having the chest tattoo doesn't really make sense. Specifically, it immediately gets established that the marking is a rare and special honour given only for great deeds. Presumably it would follow that those with the mark would essentially be folk heroes to some degree. At the very least it would seem probable that those with the mark would know of each other. So why the hell don't any of the orcs know who Donovan is or what he did? Surely a human earning the mark would be something that every living orc would have heard at least a rumour of.

Come to think of it, he's not just some random human either, he's a human from the country that allied with Hell to genocide them within living memory. You'd think it'd be a huge loving deal.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

Perhaps the dumbest part of this whole thing is that the 'sexy rapist' trope actually does exist - there's an entire romance subgenre about that very subject, called the 'bodice ripper'.

They're not loving kids though, so really what Mookie wrote - and wanted to write - was a sexy pedophile.

Not to defend romance novels, but for the most part, with novels like that, it's easy to tell that they're usually written with one of two audiences in mind:

1) Middle-aged Christian women who can't just admit they're horny, but OH NO! This bandit king/viking/pirate/sheik/native warrior* doesn't play by the rules of 'civilized' society.

*also usually includes medium to high levels of racism.

2) People with non-con kinks. Not my thing, but consenting adults can roleplay whatever, at least they're honest about it.

I have a thousand times more respect for romance novel writers than I do for Mookie trying to pretend this is high art.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Who What Now posted:

"Ah but you see women and girls are property so it would be like attacking someone's lamp, which isn't against the rules!" :pseudo:

Wait a second, why would you even your bring your wife and underage daughter to the RapeClan Meeting run by RapeClan on the RapeClan territory where anyone is allowed to rape women if they murder their husbands and also they sanction the rape of female children?

Would it not have been feminist enough for him to say, 'idk honey, maybe sit this one out? and maybe lets not bring our daughter?'

Wasn't he one of the great tribal chiefs of his generation? I get that he couldn't bring an army onto someone else's lands, but wouldn't he have had at least a few bodyguards/warriors to look after his kid?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

I think they lived with RapeClan and the guy was feminist enough to be the only person in the entire RapeClan to treat his wife and daughter like people, but it never occurred to him that maybe leaving RapeClan would be the best thing to do for them.

Okay, I see it now. I initially read it as some big meeting of chiefs with the rest of the orc leaders shrugging and being like, 'Welp, nothing we can do.'

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

The Little Death posted:

Right, but the choice to make the orcs incredibly backwards with regards to gender (something that is part of the general American prejudice to any culture they perceive as "backwards") was his. Just like Szark's whole sexuality and everything in Erossus was at once cliche and also deeply weird and problematic, because Mookie worked in his weird perspective/fetishes into it.

I mean, especially in a D&D world, why would any culture consider women 'worthless'? Even if you accept that women are at a physical disadvantage compared to men (not always true in the world the real world, and totally false in the D&D one - where women and men have identical attribute adjustments) any society that devalues women is cutting themselves off from one half of their potential reality-warping, army-killing superhumans. Nothing exists to indicate that magic is sexist, presumably there is an equal number of magic users of both sexes.

Like... doesn't every other orc tribe have twice the number of airbenders that the Doma Clan has? Wouldn't their 'hidebound' traditions have fallen by the wayside as soon as they started getting stomped by groups who managed to figure out math?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I'm sure that fly-fishing scene is traced, but beyond that - did Mookie forget that orcs can't/don't eat meat? Why are they fishing at all?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I know it's a black and white comic, but Corpsemom is clearly supposed to be black and an abusive black woman who doesn't know how to wash her hair because she's mentally a child is a real bad look.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

Corpsemomchildwife being Mookie's one black character in this comic is a bad look at every single junction. "She's weird and unnatural and not a person, violent, childlike, in need of education by our weird dog-man protagonist ... I know!"

Yeah. She'd leave a sour taste in my mouth even if she was lily-white, but it just adds this whole other layer of tone-deaf racism wrapped up in Mookie thinking he's being ~progressive~.

EDIT: Going waaaaaay back, I also think it was a really bad choice to have Bumper kill, uh, the rear end-up dead lady whose name I can't remember. I think it would have been better to have him walk away, then have Stunt kill her. It doesn't go the whole, 'angry, murderous black man' route, and it establishes a sort of ride-together, die-together loyalty between them.

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 3, 2021

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
The hairy feet + tusks lead me to believe this character is supposed to be a half-halfing, half-orc.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
There's so much I don't understand.

So... Orcs have a cultural taboo that requires like, the head of the household to eat first, or for mealtimes to be communal, or something of the sort? Also, no one is allowed in the dining room before some appointed time. It's important enough to Arduak that not only does he have a sign in his house, but a butler who will literally manhandle (arguably assault) his guests if they trespass.

...then he just... doesn't explain this or educate Snout? At all? Is it a joke that him and the Ink Witch are playing on a deaf dude?

It seems really dickish to let it play out.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I would respect Mookie more if he would draw a erect cock.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I think the reveal is going to be that Corpsemomwife is putting Old God stuff/necromancy in their dreams, but the funnier answer is that they heard Snout loving the mattress all night.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

tag yourself, i'm DEVS

I’m the virginator.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I'm calling it - Snout really did learn Orcish in a day and he's got some kind of reading superpower ('magic is gentler now').

Another thing, assuming that Corpsemomwife really is flipping out and screaming non-stop all night, how did Snout not notice before? Even if he can't hear her, wouldn't he sense her movement, if she was thrashing around or having nightares? If she was screaming for hours, there would by physical signs of distress, wouldn't there? Just because he's deaf shouldn't mean he's ignorant/obvious, right?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wait, doesn't EVERYONE have a sign in their dining room that says "Please wait to be served"? Mine is in Esperanto instead of English.

It's an important enough cultural taboo that Arudak's maid (arguably) assaulted Snout for breaking it, but not important enough to, y'know, actually mention to his dinner guests.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

HazCat posted:

Corpsedaughterwife carrying on with the adult toddler act, this time doing a rendition of 'refuses to keep her clothes on in front of guests'.

And then immediately going up two cup sizes because she's in danger, which is definitely not a sex thing.

It's like how animals puff up when they're threatened.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Disregarding the inflating tits for a moment,

Considering that casual nudity seems to be A Thing for Arduak and the Ink Witch, it's weird that his friends are alarmed/weirded out to see a topless woman wandering in his house. Likewise, Snout has no problem showing off his hog, so it seems weird that he's concerned that Corpsemomwife is wandering around naked/that people are seeing her naked.

...and then, the action is so poorly conveyed. It look me multiple reads to realize the plant man was taking off his cloak to give to her.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

Are the self obsessed guy and Arduak gay? Mookie is going to pat himself on his back either way.

Also why are little hands holding up the orcs chin in that second panel?

Arduak was shown with (presumably) a girlfriend, so I think he's bi.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Possibly off topic, but since the recap posts seem to have slowed/stopped, can someone fill me in on Dance Commander (?). Why was he called that?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
There's something like five other people in this scene, and even without dialogue, their reactions could help to provide some context for us. Does Sunflower do this all the time? Is this just how Bulu magic works? Are they excited? Alarmed? Frightened? Unfortunately for the reader, they've vanished into the white void.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

The thing that really drives me nuts about this is that I had a friend who was a huge Deegan fangirl, and she had physical copies of all the books. In one of them, Mookie wrote this loving essay about what an incredible artist he was and all new ground he was breaking by having an ugly love interest for his main character. Like, the dude honestly believed he was out there on the cutting edge of feminist praxis, changing the world with his story about an 'ugly' love interest.

...and like, Luna is not even ugly by any metric for cis, straight guys! She's a skinny, feminine, redhead with huge tits, long hair, and cutesy anime fangs.

I have no idea if my friend is still into it or reading Legacy. She brought up 'heroic, feminist rape' to me one to many times and I told her to shut the gently caress up about the comic. In hindsight, I almost wish I hadn't, so I could get the perspective of an ultra fan.

EDIT: She was into some other thing I had to tell her to shut the gently caress up about - something like Nazi Germany is a cute anime boy who gets into wacky antics, uwu. Was that a webcomic too?

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 30, 2021

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I said that as a joke, believing that it could not possibly be true. Truly, we live in the darkest timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Is the school where Dominic teaches a university that happens to teach magic, or a magic university?

If it's the latter, don't the jocks also have magic?