Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
All of a sudden I can't get "Far From Any Road" by the Handsome Family out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_574Rxxez2c

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

the blackmail bit seems more like epstein trying to seek protection rather than control people

Yeah until you read the bizarre details about how he rose rapidly from an obscure background, nobody on Wall Street ever seemed to meet anyone who worked for his supposed hedge fund and no one could quite figure out where his money came from.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Hell yeah, True Detective was a documentary and the world elite are all practicing an esoteric Satanic mystery religion in plain sight

BBC posted:

Switzerland tunnel: The oddest moments of the opening ceremony
1 June 2016

From the World Cup to the Olympics, it is not a significant event if you don't have an unusual opening ceremony to go with it.

This was also the case when the Gotthard base tunnel, the longest and deepest in the world, was inaugurated on Wednesday.

Here are some of the most striking moments from the ceremony - we have tried to explain what is going on as far as possible. It was not always possible.

The ceremony represented different aspects of Swiss culture - at this point, milk floats drove in a procession

In the middle of all of this, an actor sat down, looked rather underwhelmed by everything, and ate his lunch

A topless woman decked as a bird hovered above actors representing the nine construction workers who died during the building of the tunnel

It is unclear what the German, French and Italian leaders, who were all present, made of the ceremony

Parts of the show proved very popular with some of those in the audience, however

Some viewers were left baffled, as, perhaps, were some participants

At one point, there were lots of people rolling around in white underwear

They, too, looked a bit blank about the whole thing - it was put together by German director Volker Hesse, whose most famous work has been done in Switzerland

When the stars are right they'll connect this tunnel with the higher dimensional energies being generated through the Large Hadron Collider and the tunnel will become a portal and machine elves who will emerge to feast on our adrenchrome

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I'm sure it's because of my viewing history but loving lol that one of the videos showing as a recommendation when I watch this is a talk by Daniel Dennet.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Torpor posted:

I am incredibly impressed by our leaderships ability to fall dick first into every honeypot trap on the entire planet.

After a certain point you have to start wondering if it isn't a prerequisite for high level success in certain fields, sorta like how after a certain point any honest cop would be inherently threatening to their dirty colleagues.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Literally came here to say don't read Legacy of Ashes, especially if your interest was piqued by JFK.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

What don't you like about it?

Ooook but strap on your tinfoil hat.

I think that because Weiner's book was so otherwise critical of the CIA and because he didn't want to sound like a lunatic and lose out on book sales he consciously decided not to cover details about Oswald's biography and the circumstances of his time in New Orleans and Mexico City in the summer of 63. The book doesn't even mention that Hoover and the FBI told Lyndon Johnson that the man claiming to be Oswald who showed up in Mexico City was an imposter and not the real Oswald (this is extremely serious since it implies somebody was actively trying to frame Oswald 6 weeks before the assassination, implying a conspiracy with significant resources and planning, and while there's evidence going both directions about whether it was really Oswald in Mexico City, the fact Weiner skips the controversy altogether is indicative of his general reluctance to deal with the subject). He also ignores the really weird circumstances of Oswalds career from his time in the Civil Air Patrol up through his time at Atsugi Air Base, Japan or his strange friendship with George de Mohrenschildt. No mention of David Ferrie (oh look another pedophile air plane pilot, what is it with these guys?) or Guy Bannister or the fact that Frontline actually discovered pictures of Oswald and Ferrie together in the CAP when Oswald was 16.

Years later US Senator Richard Schweiker, one of members of the Church Committee which took a second look at the JFK assassination among several other incidents, wrote that "We do know Oswald had intelligence connections. Everywhere you look with him, there are fingerprints of intelligence." Weiner was too cowardly to go there, even if only to explain why he thought it was wrong. Instead he spent the entire chapter on Oswald speculating about how the real cover up was that Castro had JFK killed and the real scandal is that the CIA was unwilling to investigate thoroughly. This is, needless to say, an incredibly charitable account of the CIA's activity.

Oswald was, at bare mininum, of much greater interest to the CIA than they were ever willing to admit. It may be the case that Oswald was a genuine Marxist who was being monitored by the CIA as part of one of Angleton's mole hunts and they had to cover this all up because it was so embarrassing. Or maybe the truth is a lot more sinister. Either way I think Wiener recognized that even discussing this stuff would make his book sound like a loony conspiracy tract so he made the self interested decision to just not talk about the really weird and difficult to explain stuff that a lot of people would interpret as circumstantial evidence of a cover up.

Just to give an example of what you won't find in Weiner's account, I highly recommend reading this transcript of a Frontline interview of G. Robert Blakely, who was chief council for the House Select Committee on Assassinations. The transcript is fascinating because it includes both the original interview from 93 and an addendum 10 years later in 03 where Blakely candidly outlines why he has now realized that the CIA was very actively covering something up. As you read this keep in mind that this transcript comes from several years before the publication of Legacy of Ashes:

quote:

G. Robert Blakey’s 2003 Addendum to this Interview:

I am no longer confident that the Central Intelligence Agency co-operated with the committee. My reasons follow:

The committee focused, among other things, on (1) Oswald, (2) in New Orleans, (3) in the months before he went to Dallas, and, in particular, (4) his attempt to infiltrate an anti-Castro group, the Directorio Revolucionario Estudiantil or DRE.

These were crucial issues in the Warren Commission’s investigation; they were crucial issues in the committee’s investigation. The Agency knew it full well in 1964; the Agency knew it full well in 1976-79. Outrageously, the Agency did not tell the Warren Commission or our committee that it had financial and other connections with the DRE, a group that Oswald had direct dealings with!

What contemporaneous reporting is or was in the Agency’s DRE files? We will never know, for the Agency now says that no reporting is in the existing files. Are we to believe that its files were silent in 1964 or during our investigation?

I don’t believe it for a minute. Money was involved; it had to be documented. Period. End of story. The files and the Agency agents connected to the DRE should have been made available to the commission and the committee. That the information in the files and the agents who could have supplemented it were not made available to the commission and the committee amounts to willful obstruction of justice.

Obviously, too, it did not identify the agent who was its contact with the DRE at the crucial time that Oswald was in contact with it: George Joannides.

During the relevant period, the committee’s chief contact with the Agency on a day-to-day basis was Scott Breckinridge. (I put aside our point of contact with the office of chief counsel, Lyle Miller) We sent researchers to the Agency to request and read documents. The relationship between our young researchers, law students who came with me from Cornell, was anything but “happy.” Nevertheless, we were getting and reviewing documents. Breckinridge, however, suggested that he create a new point of contact person who might “facilitate” the process of obtaining and reviewing materials. He introduced me to Joannides, who, he said, he had arranged to bring out of retirement to help us. He told me that he had experience in finding documents; he thought he would be of help to us.

I was not told of Joannides’ background with the DRE, a focal point of the investigation. Had I known who he was, he would have been a witness who would have been interrogated under oath by the staff or by the committee. He would never have been acceptable as a point of contact with us to retrieve documents. In fact, I have now learned, as I note above, that Joannides was the point of contact between the Agency and DRE during the period Oswald was in contact with DRE.

That the Agency would put a “material witness” in as a “filter” between the committee and its quests for documents was a flat out breach of the understanding the committee had with the Agency that it would co-operate with the investigation.

The committee’s researchers immediately complained to me that Joannides was, in fact, not facilitating but obstructing our obtaining of documents. I contacted Breckinridge and Joannides. Their side of the story wrote off the complaints to the young age and attitude of the people.

They were certainly right about one question: the committee’s researchers did not trust the Agency. Indeed, that is precisely why they were in their positions. We wanted to test the Agency’s integrity. I wrote off the complaints. I was wrong; the researchers were right. I now believe the process lacked integrity precisely because of Joannides.

For these reasons, I no longer believe that we were able to conduct an appropriate investigation of the Agency and its relationship to Oswald. Anything that the Agency told us that incriminated, in some fashion, the Agency may well be reliable as far as it goes, but the truth could well be that it materially understates the matter.

What the Agency did not give us none but those involved in the Agency can know for sure. I do not believe any denial offered by the Agency on any point. The law has long followed the rule that if a person lies to you on one point, you may reject all of his testimony.

I now no longer believe anything the Agency told the committee any further than I can obtain substantial corroboration for it from outside the Agency for its veracity. We now know that the Agency withheld from the Warren Commission the CIA-Mafia plots to kill Castro. Had the commission known of the plots, it would have followed a different path in its investigation. The Agency unilaterally deprived the commission of a chance to obtain the full truth, which will now never be known.

Significantly, the Warren Commission’s conclusion that the agencies of the government co-operated with it is, in retrospect, not the truth.

We also now know that the Agency set up a process that could only have been designed to frustrate the ability of the committee in 1976-79 to obtain any information that might adversely affect the Agency.

Many have told me that the culture of the Agency is one of prevarication and dissimulation and that you cannot trust it or its people. Period. End of story.

I am now in that camp.

Anyone interested in pursuing this story further should consult the reporting by Jefferson Morley of the Washington Post. See, e.g., Jefferson Morley, “Revelation 19.63” Miami New Times (April 2001).

To be very clear: the cover up may be that Oswald was being monitored by James Jesus Angleton as part of a counter intelligence mole hunt. In that case the reason for the cover up would be the CIA's massive embarrassment that someone they were actively following killed the President. Or it could be that Oswald was working for Carlos Marcelo or David Ferrie or someone else that the CIA was in bed with but not directly controlling, in which case, again, the motivation for the cover up would be standard CYA procedures. But at this point the fact there was a significant cover up - much greater than the one Weiner describes in his book - is well documented and attested to by senior US government investigators and legislators who have since looked into these events. So Weiner has no excuse here. If this was a story that he thought would distract from his larger history of the CIA I think it would have been more honest if he simply avoided the topic and admitted it was too vast and weird to cover in a single chapter.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Bay of Pigs was JFK's own baby. The idea that he was assassinated by a US government conspiracy just doesn't make any sense, since supposedly he was assassinated for not being enough of a cold warrior.

Not really. It was a holdover from the Eisenhower administration and Kennedy was pissed off enough at how mislead he was regarding the probability for success that he shortly thereafter cleared house by removing CIA Director Allen Dulles, as well as the Deputy Director for Plans Richard Bissell and Deputy Director Charles Cabell. the broad continuity of US foreign policy before and after Kennedy's death and his status as an ardent Cold Warrior would argue against the idea that he was assassinated as part of a coup because he wasn't sufficiently anti-Communist but that doesn't mean he wasn't in conflict with members of his own government, especially after what they viewed as his failure of nerve during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

None of which is to say he was killed as part of an elaborate coup. There's more continuity than change in the Kennedy-Johnson administrations which makes the argument for a coup hard to sustain. Assuming JFK was killed as part of a conspiracy it wouldn't really have been a "government" conspiracy though individual members of the government may have either participated or simply enabled it ("whoops, the mobsters we've been using to try and assassinate Castro just murdered the President, we better make sure this never gets out!" or "oh poo poo the crazy Marxist we've been monitoring as part of mole hunt against the KGB just mail ordered a rifle and shot the President, time to memory hole everything we have on him"). The one unquestionable fact is that the Warren Commission's only goal was to convince people Oswald acted alone, with absolutely no concern for whether that was true.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the bay of pigs was literally an invasion of Cuba. iirc it’s supposed that they were mad because JFK didn’t give them air support. I dunno, it’s a weak story because JFK did act to gently caress over Cuba and the Soviet Union as retaliation for Bay if Pigs.

Dulles misrepresented the probability of the invasion succeeding on its own in the expectation that in the heat of the moment Kennedy would be concerned about the optics of a failed operation so early in his term and would therefore acquiesce to sending in the US air force. Kennedy surprised Dulles by not bending under pressure and then really surprised Dulles by not just accepting his designated fall guy and forcing Dulles himself to also resign.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Gum posted:

I guess even the remote chance he could be going to prison for his crimes is enough to make him sweat

Keep in mind that there have been multiple articles published about how unfair it is that Dersh isn't getting invited to wine-and-cheese parties on Martha's Vinyard anymore. His anguish is likely over the idea that people will think he is a pedophile and it will taint his glorious "legacy" as much as it is over the remote prospect he actually goes to prison.

Remember how upset Wall Street execs were because Obama said some mildly critical things about them while moving heaven and earth to protect them? It's not enough to have all the money and power, these people desperately need to told that they deserve everything they have and are superior individuals.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

Really cool to see one of the most famous lawyers of his generation making literally word for word the same arguments as random ADTRW pedos

The water draining from you bathtub forms the same emergent pattern as the rotations of a spiral galaxy. Similarly, the motivated reasoning and terrible writing of so many goons is really just the exact same thought process as any of the dumbass pundits or columnists you might read in the paper, just with a smaller audience.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Jeffrey Epstein's Death Was On 4Chan Before Officials Announced It — And Authorities Had To Look Into It

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

It looks like one of the paramedics was a poster

Or...

:tinfoil:

The people who killed Epstein planted this for some reason or other

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Your brain hasn't truly crack pinged until you start pouring through the loving McCarthy hearing transcripts for poo poo like this:

[quote=EXECUTIVE SESSIONS OF THE SENATE
PERMANENT SUBCOMMITTEE ON INVESTIGATIONS OF THE COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS
VOLUME 5, EIGHTY-THIRD CONGRESS, SECOND SESSION , 1954 , MADE PUBLIC JANUARY 2003 ]

ALLEGED THREATS AGAINST THE CHAIRMAN

[Editor's note. — William J. Morgan (born William Mitrano, 1911-1996) was a
lieutenant-colonel in military intelligence, U.S. Army Reserve, who held a Ph.D. in
psychology from Yale. During World War II he served as director of the Psycho-
logical Text Bureau, worked with the British in selecting agents to operate in Nazi-
occupied territories, and parachuted into France to organize and train guerillas. He
later published The O.S.S. and I (1957). From 1947 to 1957 he created tests to ex-
amine new recruits and employees for the CIA. Dr. Morgan did not testify in public
session.]

THURSDAY, MARCH 4, 1954

U.S. Senate,
Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations
of the Committee on Government Operations,

Washington, DC.
The subcommittee met (pursuant to Senate Resolution 189,
agreed to February 2, 1954) at 4:00 p.m., room 101, Senate Office
Building, Senator Charles E. Potter presiding.

Present: Senator Karl E. Mundt, Republican, South Dakota; Sen-
ator Charles E. Potter, Republican, Illinois; Senator John L.
McClellan, Democrat, Arkansas

President also: Francis P. Carr, executive director; Roy M. Cohn,
chief counsel; Robert F. Kennedy, chief counsel for the minority;
Donald A. Surine, assistant counsel; James M. Juliana, investi-
gator; Ruth Young Watt, chief clerk.

TESTIMONY OF WILLIAM J. MORGAN

Senator Potter. In the matter now in hearing, do you solemnly
swear that the testimony you are about to give will be the truth,
the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?

Dr. Morgan. I do.

Senator Potter. Will you identify yourself for the record, Dr.
Morgan — your full name and your present address and your
present occupation.

Dr. Morgan. My full name is William James Morgan and my oc-
cupation is psychologist. I have specialized in psychological warfare
and intelligence operations for the last twelve years. I work at the
Department of the Army as deputy chief of research in the office
of chief, psychological warfare.

Senator Potter. Is that under General Erskine?

Dr. Morgan. General Erskine is at the Department of Defense
level. I am with the army. My home is Merrifield, Virginia.

Mr. Carr. Where were you employed in September 1953?

Dr. Morgan. September of 1953. I was with the Psychological
Strategy Board.

Mr. Carr. Do you specifically recall the afternoon of September
20, 1953, Friday afternoon?

(165)

Dr. Morgan. Not specifically, no, sir.

Mr. Carr. Do you recall a meeting which you attended while you
were in that position which was attended by Mr. Horace "Pete"
Craig? 2

Dr. Morgan. I attended many meetings with him because I was
in the same office. As a matter of fact, he was my superior.

Mr. Carr. Do you recall any meeting with Mr. Craig in which a
statement was made concerning Senator McCarthy?

Dr. Morgan. Yes, sir.

Mr. Carr. Could you recount that meeting?

Dr. Morgan. Well, on a number of different occasions the name
of McCarthy came up. It is a very common term, so there were a
number of different occasions when the name would have come up.

Mr. Carr. Do you recall an occasion when you suggested that the
agency for whom you were working at that time attempt to become
friends with Senator McCarthy?

Dr. Morgan. There was what might be called a hypothetical dis-
cussion that we were having.

Senator Potter. This was with Mr. Craig, was it?

Dr. Morgan. Mr. Craig. Sometime in September he asked me to
stay over and wanted to chat with me. From time to time he asked
me to do this. As I recall the incident, he began to talk about var-
ious things and made a statement to the effect that the survey was
completed concerning our international operation, activities, and
that conclusions had been drawn that Senator McCarthy's influ-
ence was the most important factor in negating the influence of
U.S. activities abroad and that then kicked off the discussion. I
thought he was feeling me out on various things.

Mr. Carr. At that time was there any discussion as to a proce-
dure to combat the influence of Senator McCarthy?

Dr. Morgan. Well, here is the situation as briefly as I can re-
member it. The question of Senator McCarthy was raised — what
would you do with it, and I said, "Well, I don't know what the prob-
lem is." He said, "You know General Donovan, what would his sug-
gestion be?" I said, "Well, I don't know what Donovan would sug-
gest."

Mr. Carr. You say General Donovan? 3
Dr. Morgan. Yes, I had been in OSS.

I said, "There is one thing very clear, what we are trying to do
and what the senator is trying to do is the same." I said, "It may
be desirable to indoctrinate him concerning our procedure and
some of our goals," and he stated that he didn't think that was a
wise procedure because Senator McCarthy was a very clever, intel-
ligent man and that he admitted his mistakes and that it would
simply not lead to anything. Then, I forget — the situation was one
that I remember very clearly but exactly how it transpired, I don't
know. I know I was very late getting home for dinner. I must have
stayed at the office an hour or an hour and a half or so.

I want to make a remark. What Dr. Craig said — the interpreta-
tion is always difficult because some of the things he may say be-
cause he wanted to add glamour to his name by association with

2 Horace S. Craig (1911-1963) served with the CIA until 1958.

3 Gen. William J. Donovan (1883-1959) served as head of the Office of Strategic Services dur-
ing World War II.

a figure. That is a well known psychological technique. Or he may
have had other motives. He said that somebody had recently come
to see him and felt the best thing to do was to penetrate the
McCarthy organization, which is of course a Communist espionage
technique, and he thought they had a candidate for it; that they
were steering him into being employed by the investigating com-
mittee and the man's name escapes me now. I may be able to bring
it to mind.

Senator Potter. Do you know whether they were successful in
doing that or not?

Dr. Morgan. No, sir, I don't know whether they were successful
or not. The man was apparently very well thought of, of good edu-
cation, and had the highest recommendations. The point that he
was concerned with at the time was that he didn't know how much
knowledge had to be turned over to this man, because if you turned
over too much knowledge, he might not be able to go through with
it. One of the problems with agents, if you let them know too much
in the beginning, it might frighten him, so you get him into a situa-
tion and then maneuver. I don't know whether or not the thing was
ever successful.

[Off-record discussion.]

Mr. SURINE. To further identify Dr. Craig, could you administra-
tively put on the record who his superior was at that time?

Dr. Morgan. Well, I think it is a matter of public knowledge. In
these things I have to make a decision whether it is security infor-
mation or whether it is not security information. In this case this
is public information because it has not been in anything with a
stamp on it. The Psychological Strategy Board, of course, at that
time had both a board and a staff; then the president's special as-
sistant, Mr. C. D. Jackson, was the one who was running the Office
of Evaluation, which was the office in which Dr. Craig was func-
tioning. 4 Things became in rather a turmoil after the new adminis-
tration came in because psychological activities were supposed to
continue, but actually they didn't continue and Mr. Jackson took
charge, took certain responsibilities from PSB, as it is referred to,
and Mr. Craig answered to Mr. Jackson because he worked with
him before.

Mr. Surine. Where is Dr. Craig now?

Dr. Morgan. Operations Coordination Board, which is the suc-
cessor agency to PSB.

Mr. Surine. To your knowledge, what was the true employment
at that time of C. D. Jackson and Mr. Craig?

Dr. Morgan. Well, by the true employment do you mean where
do they get their money?

Mr. Surine. Who paid their salaries?

Dr. Morgan. I don't know of Mr. C. D. Jackson. I just don't know
at that time. Dr. Craig, I think he was on the CIA payroll.

Right here I ought to say this — that is a question of security. I
understand that people in CIA must not be identified as CIA peo-
ple. I don't know just how to classify this. He is known publicly to
be on the CIA payroll.

4 Charles Douglas Jackson (1902-1964), publisher of Fortune magazine, had organized the
psychological warfare division at General Eisenhower's headquarters in London during World
War II and served as special assistant to Eisenhower in the White House from 1953 to 1954.

Mr. Surine. You are speaking of Craig now?

Dr. Morgan. Craig.

Mr. Surine. What about Jackson?

Dr. Morgan. At that time I don't know. Later I don't know.
Mr. Surine. How about before?

Dr. Morgan. I may have information before, but I think that is
classified.

Mr. Surine. Were you at that time receiving your money from
CIA?

Dr. Morgan. No, sir. The Psychological Strategy Board is broken
down into two echelons. Those who are GS-15s and below are paid
by the Department of State. Those who are GS-16s and above are
paid by CIA.

Mr. Surine. Getting back to the conversation with Mr. Craig,
which you have covered part of here, when you suggested to him
that possibly CIA attempt to make friends with Senator McCar-
thy — could you fully develop that conversation as he related it to
you and his response to your remark.

Dr. Morgan. Well, it was very simple. He shrugged the thing off.
He walked up and down the room and made the remark; then he
said, "There are madmen who would be willing to do it for a price,"
something of that nature.

I kind of looked him over. My reaction was, "Is Pete serious
about this thing or is he sounding off? Is he trying to be dramatic
or what is the score?" At that time, I might add, that particular
kind of suggestion was not made very often. Since then to hear
that, as in connection with the Puerto Ricans, etc., everybody says,
"Was Senator McCarthy there?" 5

Mr. Surine. To further identify yourself, could you relate your
government employment, starting with roughly 1943 to the present
time?

Dr. Morgan. Yes, sir. In 1943 the OSS hired me as a psycholo-
gist. They lost my records. I went overseas. They found my records
in London and I managed to stay there, soliciting spies and sabo-
teurs with the War Office Election Board, which was a British set-
up working with OSS; then in 1944 I jumped behind the lines as
a civilian, close to the French Maquis, where I organized a team
of 150. For six weeks we had a lot of fun shooting, etc. I left there
and went to China and operated in China. Fifty teams would have
been sent up to the Northern China territory to penetrate the Com-
munist hierarchy but Chiang Kai Shek and the State Department
and others fell through so then I was doing other chores in China.

I was S-3 and assistant operations officer in the Yellow River pe-
ninsula. I was the officer in charge of the important operation of
sending people into the Communist territory and keeping them out
of Communist hands, fighting the Japanese. After the war was over
I went to Formosa as executive officer; then when the deputy left,
I became deputy; then I became chief of SSU, the successor agency
to OSS, making intelligence scoops on the island so we would have
the information we needed; following that I returned to the States
and became deputy chief of the training staff of the CIA; then I be-

5 On March 1, 1954, four Puerto Rican nationalists fired thirty shots into the House chamber,
wounding five representatives.

came the chief of the psychological assessment unit for the screen-
ing of people because I was applying there the techniques that
were used in the British set-up. In 1951, I worked for a year on
career management problems, setting up career plans, etc. In 1952
I went to PSB. In 1953 I went with the army.

Senator Potter. I would like to go back to where this man Craig
stated that he felt that Senator McCarthy should be liquidated. I'd
like to place the date of this. When did it happen?

Dr. Morgan. It happened in September.

Senator Potter. September of what year?

Dr. Morgan. Last year, 1953.

Senator Potter. He stated in essence that this man should be
liquidated, referring to Senator McCarthy?

Dr. Morgan. It may be necessary.

Senator Potter. And that there are madmen

Dr. Morgan. For a price willing to do the thing.

Senator Potter. Did you make any comment after that?

Dr. Morgan. No, sir. I looked at him and kind of figured, "What
gives?" I didn't say anything.

Senator Potter. Did he follow that up with any explanation of
that statement?

Dr. Morgan. No, sir. I don't remember he did follow it up.

Senator Potter. Did you take this as a possible activity for your
agency?

Dr. Morgan. No, sir. I was quite stunned by it. I thought he had
lost his self-control, discretion, or something had gone wrong with
him; and that if it did reflect people with whom he was working
that it just didn't seem to me someone was going mad.

Senator Potter. Did he ever follow that up at a later date?

Dr. Morgan. No, sir. He never did, not that I can remember.

Senator Mundt. Was this during the same conversation in which
they were talking about penetrating the McCarthy staff?

Dr. Morgan. Yes, sir.

Senator Potter. I assume from the conversation which took
place that he was very much opposed to activity of this committee.
Is that correct?

Dr. Morgan. I don't know, Senator, whether he was opposed to
the activity of this committee or whether he was opposed to what
Senator McCarthy was trying to do. This happened in September
1953. I don't know who the members of the committee were at that
time.

Senator Potter. He was referring more to Senator McCarthy
than to the committee?

Dr. Morgan. That would be my interpretation.

Senator Mundt. You say this happened in connection with the
discussion of penetrating the committee. Did this statement pre-
cede the statement about liquidation?

Dr. Morgan. The question of penetration preceded the question
of liquidation.

Senator Potter. After he made the statement about liquidation
and you registered some astonishment, what happened?

Dr. Morgan. I think shortly thereafter we began to close up and
wander out.

Senator Potter. There was just the two of you there?

Dr. Morgan. Just the two of us. The reason I give this testimony
with extreme caution, my own feeling is that the entire interpreta-
tion is something that at the time it was a shock. I discussed it
with my wife when I got home. I didn't know exactly what to do
with it. It may simply have reflected an attempt on his part to do
his thinking out loud.

Senator Potter. Did he say who was to pay the madman to do,
the job?

Dr. Morgan. No, sir. He made no reference as to how it was to
be accomplished except that there were madmen who would do the
job. He made no reference to anyone specifically.

Senator Mundt. Did this ever come up again in subsequent con-
ferences?

Dr. Morgan. No, sir. At a subsequent discussion he mentioned
the name of the man he was talking about who was going on the
staff, and I think it was one or two other times that he talked
about this person. On one occasion he said he was having no luck
and on another occasion he said something like he would like to
find a job for him at the Department of Defense.

Senator Mundt. In other words, in subsequent conversations he
did continue to suggest the possibility of penetrating the McCarthy
staff, but he never again referred to the possibility of liquidation?

Dr. Morgan. He never again referred to liquidation. In the two
subsequent discussions there was no discussion of penetration. He
just simply mentioned the name and that he wasn't having any
luck. On another occasion he said he was trying to make an effort
to get him employed at the Department of Defense.

Senator Potter. Do you know a man by the name of Matt
Baird? 6

Dr. Morgan. Yes, I do.

Senator Potter. What is his present employment?
Dr. Morgan. I don't know.

Senator Potter. What was he doing when you knew him?

Dr. Morgan. Matthew Baird was chief of the office of training
of the CIA and this is public information because it has been pub-
lished in the newspapers.

Senator Potter. When was that?

Dr. Morgan. I would say that he became chief of that about 1951
sometime, the early part of 1951.

Senator Potter. Did he have any personal traits that would be
objectionable in normal society?

Dr. Morgan. He is a handsome looking guy, but I would say gen-
erally speaking "no."

Senator Potter. Is he known to you to be a homosexual?

Dr. Morgan. That has a long history.

Senator Potter. You mean by that it is well known that he is
a homosexual?

Dr. Morgan. If you are asking whether I have facts that he is
a homosexual, the answer is "no."

Mr. Carr. Which one are you talking about now — Craig or
Baird?

6 U.S. Air Force Col. Matt Baird (1901-1972) served with the CIA from 1953 to 1965 and de-
veloped the agency's officer training and career development program.

Dr. Morgan. Baird. I don't have any factual evidence he is a ho-
mosexual.

Senator Potter. What is your knowledge in that respect?

Dr. Morgan. Circumstantial and opinion. I don't know whether
it is classified or not.

Senator Potter. What information do you have to form your
opinion?

Dr. Morgan. Well, I think on that particular thing, in order to
save the work of the committee, I gave information to two air force
investigative officers who came to see me about Matt Baird in, I
would say, early summer of 1953, around June. That file would
contain everything I knew about that case.

Senator Potter. Wasn't Mr. Baird discharged from a boys'
school?

Dr. Morgan. I understand that he was.

Senator Potter. What information do you have as to the reason
he was discharged?

Dr. Morgan. I understand that he was discharged because he
made the mistake of teaching the boys how to masturbate properly,
but that doesn't come from any direct source.

Senator Potter. When did he leave CIA?

Dr. Morgan. I don't know whether he has left. For all I know,
he may still be there.

Mr. Surine. What is the nature of your information about his
being discharged from the school on that grounds?

Dr. Morgan. The information that I have is that a Mary Lee
Fletcher, who is an employee of the agency, said that she had
talked with some four or five persons in New York City, one of
whom was the daughter of J. Leonard Hand, and they made the
remark to her that it was a pity that the U.S. government had
Matt Baird as their director of training and director of personnel.

Senator Potter. That is director of CIA?

Dr. Morgan. He had been director of training and personnel —
in view of his record at the Arizona Desert School; that he was
looked upon as a queer, etc.

Senator Potter. I think that you have covered this subject pret-
ty well, Dr. Morgan, and I wish to thank you for appearing here.

Senator McClellan. I would like to ask a question or two. I
didn't get Dr. Craig's initial.

Dr. Morgan. Horace C. Craig, I think.

Mr. Kennedy. There is a Horace S. in the telephone book.

Senator McClellan. Where is Dr. Craig now?

Dr. Morgan. I suppose he is with the operations coordinating
board.

Senator McClellan. Is he still with the government?
Dr. Morgan. I believe so.

Senator McClellan. He is still in the same position he occupied
then, at the time you were testifying about, last September?

Dr. Morgan. Well, there has been a reorganization, Senator. I
don't know what position he now occupies but it is in the same
framework.

Senator McClellan. Is he still your boss?

Dr. Morgan. No, sir.

Senator McClellan. He was in September?

Dr. Morgan. Yes, he was in September.

Senator McClellan. Then you think he is still with the govern-
ment?

Dr. Morgan. I think he is still with the government.

Senator McClellan. Of course, that fact can be ascertained. I
tried to follow very closely with respect to the conversation you had
last September when he was pacing the floor after he had sug-
gested the idea — made reference to the idea of penetrating the com-
mittee staff, and then I think this is your exact language, and I
want to get it accurately because you used some qualifying words,
I think, after you used this language. I understood you to say and
I quote,"It may be necessary to liquidate Senator McCarthy as was
Huey Long." Is that quote accurate or substantially accurate as you
recall what he said?

Dr. Morgan. Yes, sir.

Senator McClellan. Then you followed that by saying, if I got
it correctly, and I quote: "There is always some madman who will
do it for a price."

Dr. Morgan. Yes, sir.

Senator McClellan. Is that substantially what he said?

Dr. Morgan. That is substantially as I remember what he said.

Senator McClellan. Did you relate those two expressions at the
time as the second implementing the first — that there would al-
ways be some madman who would liquidate Senator McCarthy for
a price? Did you relate those two statements together and think
the second statement referred to Senator McCarthy?

Dr. Morgan. Oh, yes.

Senator McClellan. There was no question in your mind at the
time about it?

Dr. Morgan. No, sir. That was the subject of discussion so that
it was relevant to what he had been saying.

Senator McClellan. Now, this could be a very serious matter
and I am trying to elicit from you as of now a description or an
expression of the emotion you felt then and the reaction you had
to his remarks. Were you impressed at the time or did you believe
at the time accept his remark as that of a threat or that of a plot
that was going through his mind to actually develop a scheme to
accomplish what he had said. How did you react to it at the time?

Dr. Morgan. Well, at the time I looked over Dr. Craig and
thought, "He must be losing his mind. What is wrong with the
guy." That was my introspective analysis. I was sufficiently dis-
turbed to mention it at home when I apologized to my wife for
being late. She said, "He is out of his mind" or "What is wrong with
him" or something of that sort. The fact that he would raise it for
discussion and keep me there after closing hours — this was the
subject of discussion. We closed up at 5:30 and we were there, I
would guess, till 7:00 or thereabouts, so that he must have had in
mind that he wanted to go over this thing.

Now that I look back, I think also he was trying to find out
whether I was tied in with the McCarthy group. I think that may
have been one of his intents because a question he threw at me
caused me to answer, "I don't know him. I have never met him. As
a matter of fact I have never seen him on TV." I think one of his
intents was to feel me out with respect to my own affiliations.

Senator McClellan. Is that your reflection about it now after
the incident occurred some five or six months ago? Do you feel it
was just a remark to feel you out, to elicit some expression from
you? In other words, was he trying to find out if you were in com-
munication with the committee?

Dr. Morgan. I think that he was.

Senator McClellan. What do you think?

Dr. Morgan. I think his first intention was to find out whether
I was tied in with the McCarthy group, so to speak.

Senator McClellan. Would that be a technique that you use in
this psychological warfare — whatever you call it — to make a state-
ment that will lead somebody out to express themselves, find out
what they may be thinking, their attitude, what their relation or
connection may be?

Dr. Morgan. It is one of the interrogation techniques. Whether
or not he was using it on me — my impression was that he was feel-
ing me out as to whether or not I was a member of the McCarthy
group.

Senator McClellan. In other words, he was trying to find out
if you were leaking out information to the committee?

Dr. Morgan. No, sir. I think what he was interested in was to
find out if I had political affiliations or connections or whether I
was identified with the McCarthy group.

Senator McClellan. You can only work by giving information.

Dr. Morgan. Yes, that is so, but in government, as a government
employee they are always interested whether you know Senator so
and so. That is a very strong weapon for any government employee.

Senator McClellan. Did you ever report the incident to any of
your superiors?

Dr. Morgan. No, sir, I did not.

Senator McClellan. To whom did you first report it, aside from
your wife?

Dr. Morgan. I think I first talked it over with possibly Colonel
Kellis. No, he was gone by that time. He was a confidant of mine.
The man I first talked to was you [pointing to Mr. Surine].

Senator McClellan. Whom do you mean?

Mr. Surine. Mr. Surine, me.

Senator McClellan. You think he is the only one you talked to
about it besides your wife?

Dr. Morgan. He is the only one who knows about it besides my
wife, possibly Colonel Kellis, Mr. La Venia and Mr. Surine.

Senator McClellan. Mr. La Venia is also a member of the staff
of this committee, is that right?

Dr. Morgan. Yes.

Senator McClellan. I want to follow up and get the real pro-
spective of this thing. If that was a threat, that is something we
want to know about, if the guy is still in government service cer-
tainly. Of course, if it was just a maneuver on his part to try to
elicit information from you or gain some impression from you, folks
do that all the time and it would have no significance.

I want to get you to evaluate, as of now, in the light of the facts,
your reaction then and your sober reflection upon it since. How do
you evaluate it as of now after five months' reflection?

Dr. Morgan. My evaluation is that at the time he must have
been concerned with the problem and that he must have held dis-
cussions with persons other than myself and that he was trying to
find a solution, in his own mind, as to what ought to be done about
McCarthyism, as it is so-called.

Senator McClellan. That is your evaluation of it now after five
months' reflection, that he really was concerned to himself at least,
with what to do about McCarthyism or McCarthy and in medi-
tating upon it and thinking out loud, he made these remarks?

Dr. Morgan. Yes. Whether or not he would ever have enough
courage to carry it through, I don't know.

Senator McClellan. I know you wouldn't know that. You are
the one involved; you heard the conversation; you know Dr. Craig
from working with him and associating with him and you have had
five months to reflect upon it. You are now giving testimony about
it and you probably are the one most capable on evaluation on the
standpoint of whether it really has substance that is of interest to
this committee and the public or whether it was something that
has no significance and should not be pursued further. I would like
for you to make an expression on it.

Dr. Morgan. I will say this very decidedly. I don't think informa-
tion of this kind has public value because I don't see what purpose
is going to be served. I think in connection with other items of a
information, it may lead to a more clear picture of what is hap-
pening concerning psychological warfare, international operations
and things of that sort. I think as an isolated scrap, it reflects the
thinking of a person who in line, say with others, would be politi-
cally or other reasons. Not politically. I shouldn't say politically,
but to what Senator McCarthy was doing at the time. I am not
speaking of objectives. I think it has this. I don't know whether I
have muddled the thing.

Senator McClellan. I think it poses this question or problem for
us on the committee. If that man was talking like that in a serious
vein and it was thoughts rolling around in his mind, at the time,
ideas he was expressing, I think the committee would be concerned
about it. Whether it is something that should be given to the public
or not, we might have to determine that later, but the question is
if we have men in government with ideas like that and expressing
ideas like that, I think the committee would be a little bit con-
cerned.

Dr. Morgan. I think it was a serious statement. He didn't say
it in jest. He said it in a reflective sort of way. The reason I ques-
tioned the publicity end of it, I don't see what purpose that would
serve.

Senator McClellan. Aside from that, we don't want that kind
of men in government. That would be my first reaction. A man in
government making remarks like that, it might go to his fitness to
continue to serve as a public servant at least.

Dr. Morgan. I want to make a statement at the present time.
The fact that I am testifying here jeopardizes my own stay in gov-
ernment. If I am a government employee a year from now, I will
really be amazed. The very fact that I am here giving information
and nobody knows what the status of the information is puts me
in a position of jeopardy and I would like to make it a matter of

record. I am willing to talk and talk freely and give my opinions,
but I would like to have it put down.

Senator McClellan. Put down. What do you mean?

Dr. Morgan. Put down as a matter of record. I have had a de-
bate with my conscience ever since last night.

Senator Potter. Did you volunteer to appear before the com-
mittee?

Dr. Morgan. I have expressed the desire to give information
which I consider is to the national interest, and I will give informa-
tion which is to the national interest and I have no reluctance
whatsoever to giving it.

Senator Potter. Did you volunteer the information that you
have given here?

Dr. Morgan. A substantial part of it to staff members of the
committee.

Senator Potter. Did they elicit that information or did you give
it on your own initiative?
Dr. Morgan. I volunteered it.

Senator Potter. While you may have been subpoenaed

Dr. Morgan. Yes, sir.

Senator Potter [continuing.] You initially volunteered the infor-
mation?
Dr. Morgan. Yes, sir.
Senator Potter. How long ago?

Dr. Morgan. The information was volunteered, oh, during the
last six or seven or eight months — since last October, I think.
[Off-record discussion.]

Senator Potter. When did you first mention it?
Dr. Morgan. I think it was in October.

Senator Potter. Within a month after the incident actually oc-
curred?

Dr. Morgan. Something like that.

Mr. Surine. To your knowledge, do you know of any projects of
liquidation that CIA has engaged in abroad, in a general way?
Dr. Morgan. Yes, sir.
Mr. Surine. They call them projects?
Dr. Morgan. They may use that.
Senator Potter. Liquidate men or persons?

Dr. Morgan. No, sir, I don't. It is a business I use to lecture on
in CIA. I don't know of any liquidation processes going on abroad.

Mr. Surine. Either in the past in your experience in intelligence?

Dr. Morgan. When men are liquidated in intelligence you must
not refer to it, but you don't ask for permission. The minute you
ask for permission, it is denied. That is a code. The question of liq-
uidation of enemy agents is never referred for official discussion.

Senator McClellan. Now, there is one other thing I'd like to
make clear here. At the time Mr. Craig had the conversation about
McCarthy and penetration of the committee, was he cognizant of
possible investigation or had he ever discussed the question of the
McCarthy committee investigating CIA?

Dr. Morgan. I don't remember accurately. He may very well
have because everybody at the time was saying something about it,
his investigation, and whether he expressed an opinion pro or con,
I don't remember.

Senator McClellan. Has there been any personal feelings, quar-
rels or misunderstandings between you and Dr. Craig at any time?
Dr. Morgan. No, sir.

Senator McClellan. No breach in your personal relationship
any way at all?
Dr. Morgan. No.

Senator McClellan. Thank you very much.

Senator Potter. Senator, before you leave — I have no other
questions to ask Dr. Morgan — I would like to get permission to
make public the executive hearing on Major Peress.

Senator McClellan. I thought it had been made public already.

Senator Potter. We had an open hearing. This is executive, so
if there are no objections, this will be made public.

Dr. Morgan, we thank you kindly.

[Whereupon the hearing adjourned at 5:05 p.m.]
[/quote]

To be clear this is less a vindication of McCarthy and more a fascinating peephole view into the Agency during the 50s, with some tantalizingly vague references to Huey Long's "liquidation" and some even vaguer allusions to a highly placed pedophile in the ranks (though in typical 50s fashion this is treated as synonymous with being a homosexual). But my God does all of this just come off a bit... differently.... after you've gone full Epstein brain.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

RobattoJesus posted:

Goddamnit I just learned of Huey Long like 2 pages ago and now I find out he got liquidated committed suicide

He got the Kennedy treatment, i.e. a lone nut took him out for no real motivation other than personal grandeur or resentment.

You wanna talk about weird suicides then look up Gary Webb.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The Apocalypse happened in 70 AD and we're the half formed mutant lumps of sentient flesh that were left behind when God and his Hosts ascended back out of the universe with the Elect. We're all spiritual hobos squatting in the moldering remains of a divine mansion.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

gh0stpinballa posted:

much love to the tabloids in this instance they're the only ones who seem to give a poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brawJsSUtxk

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

twoday posted:

Piloting airplanes, helicopters, submarines, and dog sled teams is some James Bong poo poo

Even in the context of a criminal international pedophile conspiracy white male privilege still applies. Epstein seems to have been a weird creep who coasted from high school drop out to fake hedge-fund billionaire while his prisoners and paramours had to learn how to pilot helicopters and submarines and were also seemingly responsible for all the legwork involved in actually acquiring and grooming the victims of his predatory instincts.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

a friend in need posted:

The way some MSM outlets are covering this is probably way more fascinating to me than the event itself. They are very blatantly misrepresenting the Washington Post article in this writeup.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/15/us/jeffrey-epstein-autopsy-broken-neck/index.html

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Not what Bors is getting at but this whole time we’ve been assuming that the assassin came from outside the prison when it’s probably easier to hire someone that’s already inside. I mean how hard is it to strangle someone (well it takes a few minutes at least so not trivial but still)? You don’t need to be trained in the School of Americas for that. Especially when the camera “went out” to cover any bloopers in the procedure.

I think the more logical approach is compartmentalize the conspiracy as much as possible. Having the guard also be the assassin means that there's a specific guy out there with way too much information. If the guard was merely encouraged to take a nap or look the other way then there's way less information for them to tell spill to their wife or drinking buddy. The right hand is never supposed to know what the left hand is doing in these situations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

I'll admit I'm a little sad that "is this for yahweh or is this for bel" didn't get more play after that twoday post

Now all we need is a giant effort post on the suppressed teachings of the Gnostics who reveal that those names are but two different masks for the demiurge.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Johnny Red posted:

the fact that he signed off on the will two days before his death is interesting. obviously he was getting his affairs in order, so either he was aware of the danger he was in, or he did off himself (facilitated by the mcc), or he was preparing his finances for the super-secret body switch.

any other possibilities?

This is purely speculative but if you really want to game out all the possibilities then he may not have been in total control of his own estate and team of lawyers. We don't really know how much, if any, of the wealth he accumulated was actually his own. If Epstein was essentially a cipher for some other group or individual who created him to be a paper billionaire who could be used for moving around resources and people and performing risky and sensitive blackmail operations then for all we know his estate might be largely controlled by someone else. Epstein may not even have been aware that his will had been updated.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

there's a looooooooot going on in this very long interview with this old guy who seems to be senile........

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1164959881172082691

Among the other details here is a remarkably direct example of the (literal) double think that structures how men like him think about rape.

quote:

What Jeffrey did is nothing in comparison to the rapes and the forceful things, which people did. Jeffrey had to do with a bunch of women who were totally complicit. For years, they went, came there time and time and time again. And if there was only one of them who did it, no one would have noticed—except he made an industry out of it. And why did he make an industry out of it? Because Jeffrey was a very, very, very sick man. For some reason that doesn’t get understood. Did you ever hear of nymphomania? Do you know what that is?

quote:

You told me you heard something terrible that Maria told you.

Jeffrey brought her there, and what he did to Maria was inexcusable, of course. He locked her up, and she couldn’t get away, and her father had to come and rescue her. That’s a story she told. And, of course, that’s the least of what she told me. Forget that, her little sister, for Christ’s sake, the guy actually brought her to his place and did those kind of things, which, of course, is inexcusable and that’s the kind of thing which satyriasists do because they can’t help themselves.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

broke: google Ron Paul
woke: google Murray Bookchin
bespoke: google Kraft-Ebbing

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

"Hail, brothers, Coranon Silaria, Ozoo Mahoke"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Johnny Red posted:

the story has been starved of significant developments, and that, coupled with the fact that the media has done the absolute minimum to investigate the epstein affair, is seeming to rapidly lead to the energy around it going kaput. there has also been so much else going on in the news to pull away people's attention, too, what with trump's insanity, the amazon, the economy, and all the rest of it.

really, all you need to know about the news media has been in plain sight throughout the whole affair: they've mostly refused to ask tough questions regarding epstein's handling by the authorities, his network of connections, his background, ghislaine and her background, etc. they expect their audience to trust in the system unconditionally, and they smear anyone who questions their perspective, no matter what the specifics of the criticism may be, as crank loons. i don't think that the epstein story was killed; i think it was hardly given life. even with all the attention that his arrest and subsequent death seemed to garner, the story should have been far larger. it could have been. in a a perfect world, wapo, the new york times, and the bloody bbc would be tearing through paper trails, hungrily chasing down potential leads, drilling into the heads of their readership that this whole thing is just bonkers. instead, we got lukewarm retreading of his situation in 2008, reporting of what happened at the mcc in the most uncritical, blasé way imaginable, and fake woke articles about prison reform.

who knows, maybe the esptein story will blow up again with a big development. there's always hope (lol).

The part that really gets to me is that nobody seems to be perturbed by the idea that a massive blackmail operation targeting numerous figures of political and cultural significance was being conducted more or less openly for decades without apparently drawing much attention from the FBI or anyone else. The D&D line I see getting used is that the claim Epstein belonged to intelligence was a face saving lie to cover up more pedestrian corruption, but if you don't think Epstein had any protection from the American security state then at the very least you would think it would be a massive scandal that nobody took any interest in all of this.

This isn't just a question of justice for the victims either. Even looking at this from the most Machiavellian realpolitik perspective, surely you would be concerned that Epstein might have been working on behalf of or willing to sell his information to foreign agencies or businesses. If Epstein wasn't acting with the sanction of someone in the US government then it really raises the question of how massively incompetent and irresponsible they would have been to ignore what he was doing for decades.

Even the most mundane interpretation of this scandal, interpreted through the most lazy liberal political perspective, should raise alarm bells. There should be congressional inquiries, huge media scrutiny, people getting fired. The fact that none of this is happening is, on its own, enough to raise suspicions.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Dr. Killjoy posted:

the sex in Lion King and “take off your clothes” stuff in Aladdin is horseshit, the nude lady in one frame of The Rescuers was real

this on the other hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCX5JJwkZhU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Interesting that the criticism is coming from CounterPunch as well. Maybe read the thread, it's already been uncovered that CounterPunch is owned by a pedophile.

Uhm, what?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The Unabomber used to put meaningless messages inside the packages he mailed just to gently caress with and confuse anyone who intercepted one. Inside one unexploded bomb there was a note saying ""Wu—It works! I told you it would—RV"" and in other cases he'd attached plates with fake initials. Similarly, we know that in the past the government has fed stories to UFO conspiracy theorists to make them publish ridiculous sounding statements that will discredit them to the larger public.

So perhaps the truly crack pinged option here is that blatantly photoshopping pictures of Maxwell and putting random "clues" in the metadata of the pictures would be a way to muddy the waters and confuse people. Plenty of normies who might be open to hearing about all the very weird coincidences surrounding Epstein's "suicide" are going to lose interest fast when you start ranting at them about secret messages inside the meta data. And yet it's exactly the kind of weird salacious detail that potential conspiracy theorists are likely to fixate on. It would be a low cost way to drive wedges into any potential truther movement thereby insuring that any conspiracy theory remains isolated outside mainstream opinion and is only associated with cranks. Obviously there are less elaborate explanations that should be considered first, but this is a scenario to always hold somewhere in the back of your mind.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

*kidnaps child and is noticed by authorities*

"how can I get away with this?"

*cancels amber alert push text message*

Better yet, make sure your story gets picked up by the most reviled and pernicious fever swamps of the alt-right so that anyone expressing skepticism about the official narrative is now associating themselves with the worst people in society.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Hatebag posted:

I saw a National Enquirer at the store (can't find it online) and the headline was something like

EPSTEIN MURDERED - Pedophile Billionaire Liquidated by International Cabal of Sex Criminals

So that's fun. Enquirer is owned by trump allies so i guess the strategy is to just say the truth out of a stupid mouth.

Also don't lose sight of the fact that the Murdoch owned New York Post, which has been the forefront of reporting on Epstein, has been used as a vehicle for attacking Murdoch's enemies since he took it over in the 70s.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I see that the cosmic showrunner for this season of Hellworld decided to include an allusion to Lovecraft, probably in an attempt to lampshade how cliched this is getting.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/cjciaramella/status/1171162452857434112

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The fasc adjacent narrative this thread is getting hooked on about how every rich person is basically a space alien obscures the fact that almost every business owner, parent, community leader, manager and landlord is also potentially in a position to leverage their social power for coerced sex. Most rapes are committed by someone in the family of the victim not a billionaire on a topical island. Let's not obscure the very real and human face of sexual violence by projecting it onto some Otherized boogyman.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Serf posted:

yes, we're fash adjacent for highlighting the billionaire satanist child rape and sacrifice to moloch cult

It is literally a variation on the pizza-gate conspiracy theory that is a signature belief of the alt-right so yes, whether or not it is true it is fasc adjacent in the most literal sense.

tylersayten posted:

But nobody is denying this though? The new part is the ample amount of evidence detailing billionaires, millionaires, and intelligence agencies organizing and maintaining child rape sex operations with the explicit goal of blackmailing each other in order to maintain the current capitalist status quo of the last 60 + years?

What we have is a lot of evidence of a government sanctioned child sex trafficking ring with sprawling connections to elite philanthropy and American / Israeli intelligence. How we interpret that information and what political implications we think it has are a more open question.

Since the media's attempt to convince the public that Epstein committed suicide was incredibly ineffective the greatest danger right now is that the only people trying to raise awareness of the details of the Epstein scandal end up sounding like Pizzagaters.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

gh0stpinballa posted:

getting mixed messages here...so we should look into the global paedo network of elites but we should also be aware that doing so is pretty fascist. nevertheless we should dig the dirt but only if we first agree not to share what we find in case we look like q chuds...

We should be aware that there's a ready-made fascist narrative ready and eager to adsorb and neuter anything that is uncovered and do our best to avoid falling into that trap. One way of doing that is to focus on a materialist analysis and to be wary about slipping into modes of thought that downplay systemic forces in favour of individualist ones.

Al! posted:

i think the most foolish mistake of people itt is thinking that there's only one cabal and not several competing ones

Even referring to "cabals" may be presuming a greater degree of coherency and order within high level elite politics than actually exists. Are there durable long lasting coalitions with clearly defined insiders and outsiders or is it an endlessly complicated shifting mosaic of individual relationships that don't cleanly map onto any larger organizational schema? Are there literal secret societies where you're inducted via unspeakable crimes and rituals or just a lot of bilateral relationships between powerful people that over time become so dense and interlayered that they approximate a vast conspiracy? Is this a relatively recent development or does this go back centuries? Do we need to start dusting off Carol Quigly's writings on the Round Table movement? The frustrating part is definitive answers to these questions will probably never present themselves and we're left interpreting shadows on the wall of the cave.

At the very least though I think it is safe to say that we probably wouldn't be learning anything about this and Epstein probably wouldn't have been arrested in the first place if there wasn't some kind of high level elite conflict going on behind the scenes. What, for instance, is the role of the Murdoch owned press and why have they been so central to the reporting on what happened? Why did the SDNY prosecutors decide now was the time to move against Epstein? What was Epstein's relationship with the FBI? etc.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

sleeptalker posted:

Intelligence agencies are involved, and they're bureaucratic, so to me that's a pretty good reason to assume these things are formally codified as operations, because that's how you stake out your turf and keep your job in a bureaucracy.

Intelligence agencies would also tend to want to force such operations into some kind of organized form, because the alternative as you're describing is chaos where nobody knows what's going on, the opposite of the mission of "intelligence".

American intelligence agencies are full of byzantine office politics and bureaucratic empire building, and many of their most significant operations are conducted at arms length with minimal oversight, so I wouldn't assume that just because they are involved in this there must be some underlying coherence. Perhaps the model to look to here are the oligarchic conflicts that afflicted 1990s Russia in which you'd have rival billionaires both assassinating each other and also attacking each other in the press by leaking compromising information on each other's business and personal affairs. The main difference here being that the Russian oligarchs were unsophisticated nouveau riche squabbling over table scraps whereas the people who killed Epstein are presumably integrated into the most powerful ruling elite in world history.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

If you like your cabal, you can keep it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Turns out all those studies showing billionaries' don't pay taxes didn't factor in the money the CIA forces you to tithe to their vast international underage sex trafficking ring.