Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

They are both incredibly good.

The only complaint in have about Dusk is that if you remind keys the default text still says "Press "x" key!" With the default binds instead of the new bind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This is a great game imo

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
This thread make me play original Quake and game is legit good. Just the maps are very narrow.

I was surprised by the amount of melee opponents, and how scary the game actually is some times.

Doom almost seems like the colourful happy cousin after this gray, brown, flesh and orange coloured everything.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There are only five pure melee enemies! It feels like a lot more, though, since a bunch of the rest can't wait to get stuck in.

Quake has always been good.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I am enjoying this game.

Zaphod42 posted:

Quakeworld wasn't even available at initial retail release was it?
Nope. The netcode worked fine on John Carmack's home T1, less fine on everybody else's 33.6k modems. QW was released as a free download a few months after the original game shipped. They rewrote the game to do things like client-side prediction while keeping final authority with the server, basically allowing the client-side sim and the server-side one to evolve in parallel so that the game didn't freeze while waiting for server packets, but with the server having final authority on What Really Happened.

I don't know if id pioneered those sort of lag-hiding techniques but QW definitely popularised them and most online games today use basically the same ideas.

John Carmack's old .plan files are really interesting if anyone feels like diving into the history of online multiplayer gaming: https://fabiensanglard.net/fd_proxy/doom3/pdfs/johnc-plan_1996.pdf

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Zephro posted:

Nope. The netcode worked fine on John Carmack's home T1, less fine on everybody else's 33.6k modems. QW was released as a free download a few months after the original game shipped. They rewrote the game to do things like client-side prediction while keeping final authority with the server, basically allowing the client-side sim and the server-side one to evolve in parallel so that the game didn't freeze while waiting for server packets, but with the server having final authority on What Really Happened.

I don't know if id pioneered those sort of lag-hiding techniques but QW definitely popularised them and most online games today use basically the same ideas.

John Carmack's old .plan files are really interesting if anyone feels like diving into the history of online multiplayer gaming: https://fabiensanglard.net/fd_proxy/doom3/pdfs/johnc-plan_1996.pdf

Same with the 3D acceleration via GLQuake. GL support was added after release and wasn't even officially supported.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I remember trying to play pre-QW Quake online at my buddy's house* and it was a giant pile of poo poo on a 28.8(?) modem. We remember rubber banding, but OG quake.exe would just reposition you, or fail to respond to input for seconds at a time.

*My mom told me I couldn't hold up the phone line playing C&C1 with a different classmate.

E: First bro handed me 3.5s containing DOOM shareware and also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_the_Winds. Mid 90s owned, even if you didn't have the interwebs yet.

(Don't) Ask me about Trumpet Winsock connect scripts to a University connect.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 31, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
In hindsight, I wish there were more flying segments.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E: First bro handed me 3.5s containing DOOM shareware and also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_the_Winds.

Castle of the Winds was a great game back then. I never bought the second episode so I was pretty excited when the author put it out for free.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Do make sure to check out the cheats in the Codex if you've completed the game. There's a bunch of really fun ones, I love the one that ramps all the post processing up to the highest level. It turns the game from a beautifully considered piece of work to a My First Unreal Game you'd find sold for three quid on STEAM

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I remember trying to play pre-QW Quake online at my buddy's house* and it was a giant pile of poo poo on a 28.8(?) modem. We remember rubber banding, but OG quake.exe would just reposition you, or fail to respond to input for seconds at a time.

*My mom told me I couldn't hold up the phone line playing C&C1 with a different classmate.

E: First bro handed me 3.5s containing DOOM shareware and also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_the_Winds. Mid 90s owned, even if you didn't have the interwebs yet.

(Don't) Ask me about Trumpet Winsock connect scripts to a University connect.

I bought the Quake demo for five bucks from Best Buy. It ran like poo poo on my mom's 486 BUT a friend I had shared it with gave me a crack that gave me the full versions of basically all of ID's software (full versions of everything were on the cd), most of which ran pretty ok. I felt like a god. A morally vacant, completely unrepentant god.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Hedon is better.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

dtkozl posted:

Hedon is better.

I also prefer "Doom But With An Orc Waifu OC Mod" over "Great And Extremely Pretty Original Game"

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Glagha posted:

I also prefer "Doom But With An Orc Waifu OC Mod" over "Great And Extremely Pretty Original Game"

Hedon's axe doesn't take up 1/2 the screen and is actually fun to use

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

dtkozl posted:

So you havent actually played Amid Evil then, got it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

dtkozl posted:

Hedon is better.

dtkozl posted:

This is the Amid Evil thread

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Started this game back up after taking a break from The Forges and I gotta say, Arcane Expanse is awesome. I just finished the level where you flood just the middle portion of a floating building. Probably my favourite level set so far.

EDIT: Finished the episode, I love it, but the following picture has the suckiest part.

Boss: They died like...super fast to a souled up mace.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 6, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I regret not using the powered mace more often. That's some next-level destruction.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

The boosted mace is silly because some fellow decided it needed a boosted firerate on top of everything else it has, so it pretty much ends up being far more powerful than any other option.

I do wish they gave the blue weapons more ammo and a higher firerate in exchange for less damage per shot, the Voltride in particular is just short of having a perfect firerate to feel good.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just started the final episode and it is WOW MY BRAIN

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Somfin posted:

You could achieve a similar effect, but the main thing they were going for was that sense of the item being drawn to the screen arbitrarily as a sprite rather than existing in the world. Part of that is the fact that the item doesn't just not move, it very much does not move. If you put it in the world as a 3D object, you would have to do all sorts of bullshit to make sure it never, ever, ever twists relative to the camera, and with the bobbing motion they put them through, that just isn't possible.

I dunno about that. You can have the weapon in an entirely different screen space and render it to texture and then draw it over the screen in a separate pass. It would then NEVER move and appear just like a texture for all intents and purposes.

But like I said, there's probably something subtle I'm overlooking. With that approach you'd be dependent upon checking the output if nothing else, where this way they can literally just look at the sprites and manually adjust pixels by hand if they really, really wanted to.

But by-hand pixel adjustment is the only advantage I can think of.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I just picked this up. Is there any trick to the secret hunting, because I've only got 6 of 9 on the first level, and of those missing 3, I can only see where one is, but can't get to it. Do any of the secrets require smacking a wall otherwise completley indistinguishable from the other ordinary walls?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A lot of the secrets are hidden in little alcoves that you can only see from just the right angle.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hwurmp posted:

A lot of the secrets are hidden in little alcoves that you can only see from just the right angle.

That was the last one I found, a hidden opening in the ceiling with a button which opened up a portal to a megahealth.

The others I found were the one under the start platform, the shotgun sword in the water, the one in the interior lake, the one where you jump over a fence to get the blue mana you could see from outside, and the one inside the support column in the interior lake.

I can take another look for more hidden-angle openings, but I've been looking for those all along.

EDIT: up to 8/9 now, one of the ones I thought I collected this time, I hadn't.
EDIT 2: Got them all.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 22, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Ignore it and get back to killing monsters

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Arrhythmia posted:

Ignore it and get back to killing monsters

The real monsters are the secrets we miss along the way.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oh wow... "CALL AARDWOLF AND SAY APOGEE!"

Man does that take me back. Between this and the secret Dopefish level, this has some fantastic references. That one was really satisfying to find because I found it all on my own. My eyes just fell on a random wall and I thought "that looks suspicious".

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 23, 2019

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

mysterious frankie posted:

I bought the Quake demo for five bucks from Best Buy. It ran like poo poo on my mom's 486 BUT a friend I had shared it with gave me a crack that gave me the full versions of basically all of ID's software (full versions of everything were on the cd), most of which ran pretty ok. I felt like a god. A morally vacant, completely unrepentant god.

Haha I remember that disc. I had the same one too that came with a magazine and finding out later on that there was a crack for all the games. It even had Quake 1's cd tracks! I can't believe that ID did that but on the other hand I've bought all the games probably twice over by now so it's balanced itself out.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Entorwellian posted:

Haha I remember that disc. I had the same one too that came with a magazine and finding out later on that there was a crack for all the games. It even had Quake 1's cd tracks! I can't believe that ID did that but on the other hand I've bought all the games probably twice over by now so it's balanced itself out.

According to the Masters of Doom book it was a scheme to cut the publishers out and they would be able to get all the profits for themselves, however they soon realized that perhaps it wasn't the best idea after cracks quickly started appearing. I suppose it was an ambitious idea at the time, kind of like pre-digital distribution.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
My memories of seeing episode 2 of Heretic for free after two years of playing episode 1 over and over again because I was a kid and my parents were cheap have kept me better these last couple decades than any faith in man or god ever could.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

They just dropped the DLC outta fukken nowhere

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1852860/AMID_EVIL__The_Black_Labyrinth/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

punch punch punch punch punch PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH