Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Can add Australia's W-League to the list, though the new season probably won't begin until October/November-ish. A whole mess of NWSL players usually go play a full season in W-League as well. Site is here: https://www.w-league.com.au/

Big question player-wise for both NWSL and W-League is if this'll be the year Sam Kerr finally chases some big bucks in Europe.

Edit: Also for Sweden - OBOS Damallsvenskan (https://www.svenskfotboll.se/serier-cuper/tabell-och-resultat/obos-damallsvenskan/77346/)

xeria fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Engineer Lenk posted:

Is Dunn expected back tonight? I got tickets to the game, but was mostly going to enjoy watching Debinha and seeing if Hamilton stays on her scoring streak.

I saw that Jess, Sam, and Abby are supposed to be in attendance but not on the roster tonight, and they're doing some kind of post-game celebration of all the world cup players. Didn't see anything about Dunn, though.

Sam's gotta be some kind of exhausted though after all the travel - she and Naeher were in Boston yesterday.

Be shocked if any USWNT players play this weekend. I think Alex Morgan was still in LA as of last night, and Ali Krieger/Ashlyn Harris are still in Florida while the rest of Orlando traveled to Portland. Could play next weekend, though, especially the players who didn't get a lot of WC minutes.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
NC could have a perpetual revolving cast of speedy forwards and they'd still score a fuckton of goals because of how good their mid is, especially once they get Dunn back.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mr. Mambold posted:

Is that Taylor Twellman aka The Voice of Fingernails on Chalkboard? God amighty why is U.S. soccer the redheaded stepchild of sports announcers...

NWSL gets some loving garbage-tier announcers, though the low-light is still probably that game where Anson Dorrance said he would've shot one of the Houston players on the sideline if he was the coach.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

highme posted:

First off, thank you. That's a great first post. I appreciate the work.

Rapinoe plays in Seattle, thanks for the cruel reminder.

Portland has Tobin Heath, Lindsay Horan, Emily Sonnet and AD Franch who played for the USWNT. Christine Sinclair played for Canada and is few goals shy of Wambach's all time international record. Ellie Carpenter and Steph Catley played for Australia. Andressinha played for Brazil.

All but the US players have returned (but did not play well against Seattle last week). While they international players were gone Midge Purce and Simone Charley held it down and the Thorns did pretty well in June.

Nobody expects US National Team players tomorrow.

Catley also plays for Reign! Portland has Foord as the other noted Aussie.

Purce especially seems like she's done pretty well in the international players' absence, yeah? Wonder if she'll get another look on the USWNT sometime.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Engineer Lenk posted:

Well, I went to see Debinha and was not disappointed (though she had a couple just wide or off the post that were reminiscent of the Brazil-France game). Plus Matthias had the assist [and didn't pick up a card, which is somewhat surprising given her normal style of play].

The heat wasn't unbearable in the south stands, and they gave out wooden-handled circular fans with the programs. I like to think whoever set up the program dislikes the thorns as much as I do, since they were spelled 'throns' on the standings.

Catley and Lydia Williams were on the sideline talking to fans after the loss, they seem pretty cool (watching Catley play with the splint and even take a throw-in was impressive). I hope Lydia gets traded because both she and Murphy are good enough to be starting.

Bummer for Williams:

https://twitter.com/primetimeMitch/status/1150211293594509312

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

whypick1 posted:

Can everyone on the Reign stop getting injured please? :smith:

quote:

OUT: Jasmyne Spencer (SEI – Knee), Taylor Smith (SEI – Knee), Michelle Betos (SEI Achilles), Scout Watson (SEI Concussion), Darian Jenkins (Hamstring), Jaycie Johnson (SEI Knee), Jessica Fishlock (SEI Knee), Morgan Andrews (Hamstring), Rumi Utsugi (Calf), Stephanie Cox (Calf)

Still fuckin amazed that Cox actually un-retired just to play some more games for the Reign.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Orlando is just...a disaster. Wish Canada wasn't footing the bill for Zadorsky, cause that puts out an argument for keeping her because the org doesn't have to pay anything for her even though she's pretty bad. Would honestly rather just gut the team of all its internationals and start a fresh rebuild.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Engineer Lenk posted:

I wish Kop wasn't so prone to big mistakes. She can make some good saves.

I think bouhaddi did something a lot like that in a game last season for OL.

Yeah, Kop is perfectly fine as a backup keeper in a pinch but Orlando's already pretty-shaky defense is just gonna put her in spots to make real poo poo mistakes pretty regularly.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

highme posted:

Thorns vs Utah Royals tonight at 8pm Mountain time. The US nationals should all be back and playing in this game. Game streamed on Yahoo.

Maybe Utah will score a goal for the first time in, what, three games? If Press is playing.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Engineer Lenk posted:

Watch Arod come up with something right when you write her off. More worried about them getting it to the forwards if Vero is out, though.

Vaguely remember Utah's mid being their achilles heel last season, too, with getting it to Arod/Press/Stengel consistently.

Edit: Press will just do it all herself, like usual!

xeria fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 20, 2019

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
https://twitter.com/SandHerrera_/status/1153086693291040775

That's loving enormous for a non-Portland (or Orlando/Utah inaugural) match. I hope the teams in proper stadiums can keep it up, cause average league attendance will go back to looking like poo poo once Sky Blue has a home match again.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Gonna be kind of a bummer when the final's Portland/NC for the third year in a row, but Chicago seems like the only other team who might be able to challenge. Reign are too injured to have more than a prayer, Washington's rookies have come back down to earth, Orlando/Sky Blue/Houston are pretty(very) bad, and Utah would probably need Press to have a monster game.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

habeasdorkus posted:

Reign would have wanted to score a bit ago.

(Also, Seattle Reign is a great sports team name and I refuse to hear opinions to the contrary)

I appreciate the drummers, too.

My old roommate leads the drumline for Reign. He loves doing it and the team's been real direct supportive of them (buying them drums to use, comped tickets to every game, etc.).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

habeasdorkus posted:

Having watched the Red Stars vs the Courage, the Red Stars look like they're in fantastic form.

Also, how the gently caress is the USWNT pulling players away from their clubs at the end of a season for a 10 (!) game victory tour starting this coming week? So frustrating.

Only supposed to be a 5-game tour this go-around, with four of them restricted to actual FIFA windows (when NWSL teams had the option to not schedule a game if they really don't want to IIRC), though still real dumb that they're pulling everyone away next weekend for a one-off in LA.

League seems pretty firmly stratified into three tiers -- NC/Portland/Chicago, Reign/Utah/Washington(maybe), Orlando/Sky Blue/Houston. Whoever sneaks into the 4th playoff spot is probably gonna be manhandled by one of the top three.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i am amused that houston has a player named OHAI

Who is engaged to JJ Watt!

Binary Badger posted:

Houston wound up beating Sky Blue by 1-0, a close game right to the end. Both teams looked super tired, yet didn't use any subs until like the last 20 minutes. Kinda agree with Xeria's assessment regarding these teams- the whole game reminded me of a Mets vs. Anyone Else game, it would have gone on longer if Daly hadn't scored.

SB stuck with their last coach way too long (1 win/9 points in 24 games? better let her stick around another year!!!) The whole org has been a tire fire but Denise Reddy actively drove off multiple players all on her own, too. Hopefully with both her and their previous poo poo GM Tony Novo gone, they might actually start rebuilding.

Or make Phil Murphy stop using the team entirely as a tax break and sell it to owners who might give a poo poo.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
https://twitter.com/EqualizerSoccer/status/1156261071377915905

Figured she was probably done. No idea who's probably on a short list, since her assistant coach from the WC staff already left.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Speculation is she's stepping into the GM role which, if that's the case, might be more likely that the next coach comes from the youth team ranks than, say, an NWSL coach.

Edit: Speculation killed! Ellis isn't moving to GM.

xeria fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 30, 2019

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
USWNT playing Ireland tonight at 10pm EST in their first victory tour game, Morgan/Pinoe sitting for continued injury recovery I guess which -- fine, both of them need to get better so they can play for their club teams again

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
drat, Toni Pressley (defender for Orlando Pride) was diagnosed with breast cancer and just had surgery for it :(

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Lyon's roster is absurdist levels of international talent and that game against NC was really fun. I didn't even realize until that game that Nikita Parris had signed with them this past offseason.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Paulson spilling beans on NWSL expansion in a twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/LukeFritz64/status/1164343587846283264

Seems like that the only team out of the southeast that could qualify as a "really big addition" would be Atlanta.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
NWSL expansion update:

https://twitter.com/JeffKassouf/status/1165013855111667713

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah, SanFran Eastbay. We have the quakes and they have decent to great crowds, I'm sure the interest is there.

There were rumors a couple years ago that Barca wanted an NWSL team and was eyeballing the bay area (also rumors that they could partner with LAFC on an NWSL team, or that they tried to buy Sky Blue but Phil Murphy said no, etc.).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Engineer Lenk posted:

Good facilities are hard to come by, so having these teams partnered with MLS or USL makes it much more likely that they'll succeed (though clearly it's not everything - see Orlando). Seattle struggled through countless seasons at Memorial, whose only redeeming feature is the location in Seattle center (1970s high school football stadium - lots of turf and concrete).

Atlanta should be interesting. Wonder if they'd get O'Hara or Sonnet. Rose to Louisville would be a good draw too, since it's not far from Cincinnati.

Expansion drafts could get interesting. The last one had the mega-trade that put Alex Morgan in Orlando. Wonder if she'd try to land in Sacramento to at least be on the west coast, or if she'll be content to wait for either an LA expansion (or her husband to get cut/traded).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Already appreciate the FA Player letting me watch FAWSL games in the US with no issues.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

whypick1 posted:

Against Orlando? Not surprised

Orlando scored? :eyepop:

Orlando scoring this season is always a minor miracle

Can't loving wait until we can stop pretending Kristen Edmonds is good at anything. She's been inexplicably terrible since she got one whole USWNT call-up (which she didn't even dress for the game).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Should’ve been Dunn instead of O’Hara, if it had to be someone from the US squad.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Yesterday was Jill Ellis' last game as USWNT coach, so fire up your speculation on who steps in next. Presumably gonna be announced ASAP, since there are two November games left this year. Most everyone who I've seen weigh in seems to think it's between Laura Harvey (Utah Royals) or Vlatko Andonovski (Reign FC). I think Vlatko's probably the better coach of the two, but I also don't want the Reign to have to go coach-hunting themselves this offseason.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
NWSL playoffs set -- NC v Reign and Chicago v Portland. Not looking forward to Reign getting steamrolled next weekend if they play like they did last night. :(

Also, Laura Harvey said in Utah's post-game presser that she's not leaving to be the USWNT coach, so if everyone's suspicions were correct that the job was between her and Vlatko Andonovski, I guess grats Vlatko/ugh Reign having to hunt a new coach this offseason.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
NWSL about to have a 10th team again: https://equalizersoccer.com/2019/10/17/2020-nwsl-expansion-sacramento-republic-advanced-discussions/

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

whypick1 posted:

Seems weird that the league hasn't had a California team...ever.

And hopefully being part of an MLS ownership group gives them crowds more like the Thorns and less like Sky Blue (granted, this has not helped Houston).

Also has not helped Orlando! Admittedly, other things that haven't helped Orlando: trading away multiple picks/good players just to get notably okay at best for her club teams Alex Morgan.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
And a 2021 expansion team secured for the NWSL as well, formally announcing it on Tuesday I guess:

https://twitter.com/itsmeglinehan/status/1185682722330689536

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

whypick1 posted:

After 66' it's scoreless because Casey Murphy has been standing on her head all game (NCC has 19 shots, 6 on target, compared to 5/3 for the Reign).

She's gotta get called up for some USWNT camps, right?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
gently caress yeah do it Reign

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

whypick1 posted:

And that's the dagger.

Still amazed the Reign made it this far after playing 31 different players this season.

The team poster for this season was pretty great with just how many players they had to fit onto it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
All up to Sam Kerr to save everyone from NC/Portland for the third year in a row

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Well, Alex Morgan is pregnant so she's probably never playing another minute with Orlando!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Chicago looked...about as good as Chicago ever looks against a team that makes a concerted effort to take Kerr out of it. I hope she leaves to get money and grow more as a player, and makes Chicago have to figure out how to get goals consistently without a superstar striker.

Also lol McCaskill shouldn’t be starting for anyone.

Bring on the expansions (rip sky blue if they make serious changes to salary caps this offseason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Amazing what happens when you deign to hire a GM who gives at least a fraction of a poo poo about the team:

https://twitter.com/SkyBlueFC/status/1196473217872994305

From a rustbucket camper parked at the training field just to have a single bathroom present ("look! we definitely addressed your complaints!"), to playing your whole next season at Red Bull Arena.