Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Everything is better with the mafia involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Gotta say that I'm a bit disappointed that the supposed mafia members aren't talking like some old gangster movie stereotypes. If you lean this hard into the joke you need to go all the way.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, you're not supposed to do the optional endgame refights at this stage of the game, so I dunno if I see a problem here.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Quackles posted:

By the way, this may interest you. It's a quote from someone in the Master Quest channel (NOT one of the devs) where they set out their theory for making items more expensive.

Just wanna comment on this theory and say that if your way of keeping the difficulty up is to deliberately gate all easier options behind unfunny busywork then that's some real bad design right there.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, this is starting to get to the bad design level. Especially since the devs seem really resistant to feedback and don't entirely seem to get that the point of a hardmode shouldn't be to jack the difficulty as hard as possible, but to increase the challenge while still being a fun experience.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
When it comes to Dark Souls "git gud" is a more valid response, because in those game you can, at least in theory, get through any challenge the game throws at you at any point in the game on pure skill, regardless your stats or equipment. Now this may be en exercise in tedium, but it's still fundamentally fair in a way that this poo poo isn't.

In short, especially in an RPG with random or semi-random battles you can easily end up in a situation where you're just hosed due to a simple lack of resources. Take this hack, for example: Since you can't see exactly what you're fighting before you're in battle then you can and will end up in situations where you just can't win even with perfect play, and that's where the whole "you just need to get better" mentality breaks down completely because if not even perfection is enough then the difficulty is simply unfair.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CascadeBeta posted:

When they say get good, they actually mean use trial and error or savestates to figure out their wack bullshit.

Yeah, and so it's not actual skill at the game that they're after, which is bad.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lord_Magmar posted:

I do agree that people can sometimes over design for difficulty, but this is an entirely free hack that you don’t have to play. Not even in a git gud way, if you don’t enjoy the hack don’t play it is very valid when you paid nothing to play in the first place except some time.

I don't see how this is relevant if we're talking about the quality of the design, actually. As a game designer, shouldn't your first priority be to create something that people want to play? If you put out unfunny garbage but it's free, it's still unfunny garbage. Whether you charge money for that or not doesn't affect the fact that you designed it badly.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lord_Magmar posted:

My point was that there are people who do want to play this, and enjoy it. Designing something for everyone is impossible and especially in the case of a free hack to an already made game it is perfectly fine to design for a small number of people, or even just yourself. Genuinely, I think the most important thing when designing free games or free hacks is to design something you yourself are happy with.

Now admittedly, I actually do think there are questionable design decisions in enemy encounters. But that doesn’t mean I’m correct. I just have different ideas that may or may not be more enjoyable.

That's fair, actually. However, if you're going for some kind of personal artistic vision kinda project I feel you still have some kind of duty to the prospective audience to be absolutely clear and upfront about it.

E: To elaborate a bit, if you don't do that and people go into the whole thing expecting a "normal" hack, then I feel that the idea that you're just making something for yourself or for a very specific audience loses some validity. After all, this stuff is published for the whole drat internet.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 29, 2019

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also fair, but Master Quest and Pro-mode are both known factors for this Hack, which implies a very high level of difficulty to me. In the end I think what they've done is impressive, but some of the changes are indeed, a bit much. I don't think this has ever been implied to be a "normal" hack.

I get a different vibe. When I hear "Master Quest" I'm associating it with the Ocarina of Time Master Quest, i.e. a lot of stuff is changed around and the difficulty is noticeably higher, but not so much higher that you can't always get through with good play, and the same things that worked in the original should generally work in the Master Quest version too. I'm really not associating it with the "only one solution is the right one and gently caress you if you try anything else" kind of difficulty, and especially not with the kind of ever-tightening difficulty during development to weed out the viability of every solution but the intended one. That kinda stuff I'd say falls more under the Kaizo banner.

But I guess this is ultimately subjective.

Quackles posted:

BTW: Thamz (the primary developer) is planning a "MQ Lite" version with decreased enemy stats when the final release of the hack is published.

Sounds cool. I'd actually be interested in playing that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I know I've been down on the difficulty in the game, but I'm actually OK with it when it comes to bosses. As long as it's a straight shot to the boss from a save point and heal block so you can just replay it if you get owned I'm fine with making it a puzzle. Only thing I don't like is if they can stunlock you, because that's a bit too harsh of a punishment for making one mistake.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Having to experiment to figure poo poo out is fine if you have only a few possible options and things can be re-attempted relatively quickly, but in this game you can have dozens of badges at the same time and it's not always trivial to get back to a fight, so it will inevitably lead to tedium. So at least some signposting would be nice. Maybe change the Tattle message to include hints for that kinda stuff or something.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't give a poo poo what anybody says or if anybody claims to like it - making the player do pointless busywork is bad design. And doubly so if it's the result of something unavoidable that you just spring on them.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm actually OK with the Anti Squad, because they're very clearly meant to be a bonus superboss. So while I fully expect the fight to be complete bullshit at least you don't have to do it if you don't want to.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The thing is, when you're making a challenge hack in a game like Paper Mario where even one point of damage is a huge, huge difference you kinda need to know at what power level the player is going to be at every point. So in that sense it actually makes sense to gate the damage and defense buffing badges to the endgame, and as such I'd argue that this is a legit solution and a better one than just assuming that everybody will have gotten and is using the power plus badge for the rest of the game.

E: To expand on this point, if a player's power level fluctuates then it's very possible that the difficulty level get way too hard, or possibly too easy depending on your point of view. Though the far bigger problem with the difficulty here is the obtuse gently caress you setups that you have to know in order to even stand a chance in some fights.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 27, 2019

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cooking Mario: Master Quest

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I know I've been down on this hack a lot, but the Master fight is actually pretty neat. It has a simple, easily understandable gimmick that's clearly explained and can be overcome with some ingenuity. I like it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

bio347 posted:

I think it's a fine gimmick... once. Or maybe a fine gimmick so long as it's limited to just the Master. So long as it doesn't appear anywhere else, it's a cool mechanic that you can use smarts to overcome early.

It will be a problem if it pops up much elsewhere, imo, because Paper Mario as a game doesn't really have much in the way of tools to deal with mechanics that are "thing happens every time you hit enemy". You've got your charge abilities and... that's about it. Devising a strategy to beat a boss is cool. Using the same (or very similar) strategy every time gets tedious eventually.

Now I haven't actually played this hack, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think I've seen enough of the general design philosophy (i.e. every boss basically has exactly one correct strategy to beat it) to hazard a guess that they won't be reusing the same gimmick very much.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Quackles posted:

Upcoming Innovation(?): Unblockable Attacks

While the next post is in production, a development update: the Master Quest dev team has discovered a flag in Paper Mario that lets them make individual attacks entirely, 100% unblockable.

Thamz's comments on the matter:

I imagine this will be of use to the dev team as they work on MQ Sr.

I like how Thamz apparently mentally switches out "be creative" with "follow the exact strategy I had in mind or go gently caress yourself" in his thought process. And when I say I like it I mean that this is some loving bullshit right here jesus christ.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I still can't get over how you apparently need to punish the player for "not being creative" and healing to full. Literally screwing the player over for playing smart is apparently where we're at at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Man Quackles, you really go above and beyond with this stuff.