Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Buncha RIP offs if you ask me. Dont even have a goofy game parlor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Yeah, but bluffs are pretty universally bonkers. It's a rare game where push button to hit harder is something you don't want to open with.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tattle posted:

The house with the yellowish roof is the home of the famous archaeologist and explorer, Kolorado. 

Kolorado’s always running from one mysterious place to another to do research.

His dad was a warrior, y’know. I think he went to fight a dragon named Hooktail. I wonder how he’s doing.

Nice.
Nobody tell him. :(

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

That sounds painful. Why not do the whole record it as a video and screenshot afterwards thing?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

I don't think that Zap Tap being a detriment is something that should be left up to experimentation, especially because of its effects. For example, I could see somebody keeping Zap Tap on for the Electro Blooper fight because it makes the baby bloopers non-entities, completely oblivious to the fact that Zap Tap's also the cause of the 18 damage super-tackles.

It's not even good cause and effect, I'd think - how would you being electrified help the Blooper on the other side of the battlefield?

Not only that, but It's an electro blooper. Logically you want the badge on to protect you from it's electricity.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah my biggest grievance with sticker star was that it had load out specific puzzles in both the field and the boss fights, and if you didn't have the right tool by chance or by guide you were hosed and had to go back and redo the level. (Or you won at huge cost and the game made fun of you for it, but that's another gripe)

Getting reamed with no indication you can prevent it isnt good. Especially like here where it's intuitive to equip the badge that causes the berserk mode if you don't know about it altering ai scripts.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, stifling discussion on what it does wrong would lead to the absence of ideas like the dude who suggested putting hints to the ai changes in the tattle entries. That's a great solution to the problem to the point that it would be worth contacting the creator with it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Araxxor posted:

Not really. Hooktail can be a bit tough without the badge, but she's perfectly reasonable at that point.

Taking on a boss without the right Thing sticker means said boss will quarter your damage output and their offenses are pretty big. On top of having a massive HP pool you have to burn through. Like the first boss has 90 HP, and the 2nd boss has 300. Also unlike the Hooktail example where the badge's effects took place from the get-go, you had to use the Thing at the right point (You weren't really told when this was) or you straight up wasted it and have to either slog through the fight or basically restart. And using the right thing turned them into a complete and utter jokes.

Keep in mind hook tail also let's you know to have something related to stuff that starts with c and ends with rickets, which is conveniently found in dungeon. And it did so IN ADVANCE. Sticker star often put the thing you needed in a different stage and the only way to find out which giant inventory hog(s) you had to lug around all stage was to wander into the boss and pray you had the right one. The game then went, "golly gee! Don't you think there was an easier way if you had bothered to think?"

The entire games "puzzle" design was so bad.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

God I love the music in this game. The chase theme and the coming boss theme are both great.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

anti, hammer bros, koopatrol
flower fanatic

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 5, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Berserker

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I found sticker star fun, but I would never recommend playing it without a guide. The gimmick where everything is a consumable gimmick was pretty fun, but the game's idea of "puzzles" is horrid and seems built around the opposite, resulting in solutions that build down to "know what item you need to lug in from a previous level in advance and then dont use it until the appointed time. No we won't give you any clue what that item is and yes we will laugh at you for struggling through a boss you aren't equipped to fight and winning anyway."

I dont like sticker star puzzles.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nah, going "There had to be a better way. You're dumb" at you every time you beat a boss not having psychically brought in the correct solution was pretty horrible and would have gotten it slammed regardless of branding. They literally took the time to write more lines mocking you for not doing things their way and they didn't give any indication of their way until it was too late to back out.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Well poo poo. That's beyond lame. Literal theft with no defense. The internet was a mistake.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Star Gift

So given the damage a plain anti guy put out...
This lot can totally one round you with perfect blocking can't they?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

This is where it's placed in the base game, at least. So it's not like they moved it here out of spite, it was always behind one of the most ridiculous enemies in the game.

The definition of "most ridiculous enemy in the game" has just gone up incredibly.

The problem here is that damage bloat means this group is very likely impossible to kill right now, while in the original it's a totally feasible feat. Outside of a lucky couple of shrinks or somesuch they will likely kill quackles in one round right now regardless of what our host does.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It does, because you might otherwise be completely unaware it affects the boss pattern at all because you only see the berserk pattern

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

"There's ancient dangerous ruins near the house...I wonder if I could get my brother, who I recently expressed hostility towards, to check them out?"

You ok, buddy?

Of course he isn't. They canceled the cooking competition. The cooking competition!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

heeheex2 posted:

its not serious, dont be so dramatic.

Saying, "wow, what a dick" about someone who was just a dick isnt dramatic.

Phrasing the project status in that way was a major oops moment.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah. It makes all of the previous prompts not matter comparatively for no reason. Play with the same amount of skill, only missing a single prompt and one time you will win and one time you won't.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I think I managed this fight with out of sight every other turn until 31 hp then having Mario be maxed charged on jump. That knocked him down to 15 hp plus a bow hit to 10 hp. Then getting the block on the next flash let me kill him the next turn. You can prepare using outta sight but that's only going to be so useful as more bosses get attacks that attack through invis

I'm currently stuck on general guy and instead went back to 100% dk 64

High five fellow crazy person. Dk64 is pretty rad.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

If you don't 100% it, DK64 really isn't that bad. But it is a nightmare for people who need to master a game. I've never been able to get Lanky's last banana in Fungi Forest and it's eaten me alive for longer than I care to admit

Theres a bug where you can start the race in high speed form and save the handful of seconds changing.

For anyone who isnt brain damaged like me, it's a race against an npc so fast that the only way to win it without the glitch is to have your opponent get stuck running into an enemy long enough for you to catch up. This is completely out of your control.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sadly a quick google search seems to show a complete lack of romhacks for beloved classic Donkey Kong 64(tm).

This is a truly troubling development.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Look you can't make a battle plan that works against every guy in the game. You need one for this specific guy.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I really feel like dumbing down the mob models from ttyd and inserting those would have made it genuinely fun. As is it just kind of... is.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why is there an unblockable flag in the game's code? Was that ever used in vanilla at all?

It might be coded differently than using this flag, especially if it took this long to get found, but literally every attack in the prologue is unblockable because it's a tutorial designed to ease you into the game's mechanics

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

This lp has been quite the trip. It's like the inverse of the dk64 lp.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zakrelo posted:

This has quite possibly become the least blind LP I've ever read!

It was fun to go back to the first post and read the increasingly lengthy strike outs when he described it being a blind run.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

At this point Quackles journey is almost more exciting than mario's :roflolmao:

NGDBSS posted:

It wasn't even for him! Thamz went on record saying that he didn't personally playtest his work!

I mean his stated goal was a piss hard hack to play with his cousin.

And honestly, there's nothing wrong with making a hack for yourself and only yourself. Nobody gets angry at someone for building themselves a canoe or whatever. Having it expand into a weird thing with a community that needed pleasing to the detriment isn't an arrogant motivation for bouncing at all.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I would say that while it is an easy game, it can also have some challenges if you don't know some things in advance. For instance putting a bunch of points in hp instead of BP or fp will make a lot of mid/late game fights much more of a struggle than they could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Airlift doesn't give exp and is thus cancer itself :colbert:

Yes I know you ram the soft level cap anyways so that doesn't matter. It's still wrong and disgusting