Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I expected only an increase in difficulty and some minor changes to mechanics, not a whole new dungeon. That's an impressive level of work for what seemed like just a hard mode hack at first.

I'm definitely super interested in this now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not sure why we're suddenly dealing with the mafia but I can't say I'm against it, especially with the extra of people reacting to it.

The new area looks interesting. I'm guessing it's a post-game for a game that had none, so that should be neat, but also really far from now.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cerebral Bore posted:

Gotta say that I'm a bit disappointed that the supposed mafia members aren't talking like some old gangster movie stereotypes. If you lean this hard into the joke you need to go all the way.

I agree. I actually find this whole mafia stuff random enough to be funny, but it'd be even better if it went deeper into it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, but bluffs are pretty universally bonkers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The boss rematches are a neat idea that remind me of Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix's Organization XIII rematches, all of which were also similarly pumped to endgame (or above) levels despite being fought all across the game. I have to seriously wonder why they're open this early, but regardless, they should be fun once you're actually ready for them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So this hack is going the Absolute Virtue way, huh. That's depressing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll join in pointing out this did not look fun at all. The poison especially feels overkill.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Battle length can be a big issue. I remember when I first played Final Fantasy Tactics, and I noticed early on (around Dorter, I think) and I resolved that if a battle ever took over 30 minutes and I wasn't having fun, I'd put it down. RPG battles can get tedious real easy

That's a different beast. SRPGs have much longer, but also far less constant battles. Normal RPGs have a bunch of battles, several of which optional, which should not last long nor be that challenging. When they become like that, it becomes a slog, as the player is forced to constantly run back to heal or burn through items to survive, which leads once again to the former with such a limited inventory and the fact that you'll not get a chance to restock at the boss.

The random battles here are tuned as if they were individual threats when in fact they all should be considered one whole, as the player will have to go through several of them, unlike a boss battle. And as such, they're heavily overtuned and become far more dangerous than they should be. Exploration should absolutely challenge the player, but this goes overboard. It feels like Final Fantasy XIII, but at least that game had the courtesy of healing you after every battle, so it only had the issue of every battle being far more tasking than it should've been, thus becoming tedious.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, I think encouraging the player to use status effects, especially on bosses, is good and it's something many RPGs seem scared to do, so I'll praise that particular choice.

It's still a bit too limiting in how it's used here, but I think Tutankoopa isn't terribly designed unlike the rest of this dungeon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Araxxor posted:

If anyone is wondering why in the world that fight was designed the way it is, it was explicitly designed as an HP check to punish you for not leveling up HP. Leveled up wrong? Back to Chet Rippo for you!

And having enemies you can't attack from the get-go is just obnoxious enemy design.

Wait, this is a terrible idea, no matter what your concept of difficulty is. Paper Mario doesn't give consistent experience, it's based on your level. What if you hit the maximum possible level for this part of the game but didn't raise your HP enough, even with badges? That's an unwinnable scenario, isn't it?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Okay, the Bristle thing is bullshit. I can take most of what it does, but attacking before death in a game where your HP pool is very limited and you have no way of cancelling that damage is terrible. You're basically forced to leave the fight in a worse state that you began it even with perfect play.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BisbyWorl posted:

Let's deal with a Mushroom, Thunder Rage, and Super Soda just to see if Master Quest turned them into a bait option.

I agree, entirely because I want to see if they troll the player for choosing the easy options.

Badge-wise, Flower Fanatic seems like it'd be pretty helpful.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

At some point you just accept the princess won't be there when she spends so much of her time kidnapped by Bowser, but taking the whole castle? That does not happen every day.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Quackles posted:

Wasn't there a Double Fine production? Costume Quest?

Costume Quest is really cute and fun but also 100%ing will take you less than a day, it's a very short and easy game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chitoryu12 posted:

This might be the first game I've seen that's completely against grinding.

Pokemon Reborn. If your Pokemon goes above a certain level, they stop obeying.

Unlike Paper Mario, nothing gives zero exp, so you're absolutely likely to get your Pokemon to suddenly stop obeying in the middle of important fights.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I see nothing wrong in making a super difficulty version of an already difficult hack when you're being that direct about it being made for extremely few people.

I can't say I'll ever understand the people that want it but hey, if they can get it, that's great. I hope it's fun for them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Quackles posted:

Not Mega Man Battle Network and/or Star Force, though I wish they were.

Actually, according to a leaker that tends to get things right, they're making a BN game right now!

It's a motherfucking gacha!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't think I agree with the stunlocking either. Even if it's for the sake of difficulty, you get one chance at it, and if you fail, you're dead. That's not good design.

Also the surprise Koopatrol was no surprise at all, I can already somewhat predict how this hack will work. I was more surprised that they give good exp honestly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Quackles posted:

Upcoming Balance Changes: Big Lantern Ghost

By the way: it appears that a change is in the works for the Big Lantern Ghost. The boss will be changed such that if Mario is already stunned, the Ghost will use a variant of the lantern attack that has no stun effect.

Apparently, Thamz was unaware that being hit with a stunning status while already stunned reset the stun's duration. He thought it had no effect other than causing damage.

Well, that's a surprise. I thought it was unfair difficulty but it was just a mistake. I'm glad he's changing it since that was absolutely the wrong kind of difficulty, and for all we've had our issues with this hack, it's usually fairer than that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That only means that the next hack should be Donkey Kong 64: Master Kongquest.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bruceski posted:

Just make a DK64 hack that plays the OH BANANA effect for every small banana.

Would it pause the game for the whole cutscene every time or would it just play the sound, overlapping it every time you grab a banana?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Going from a player and critic to actually directly affecting the game is one hell of a jump.

Fitting, considering what franchise we're talking about :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alxprit posted:

The final reward for a massive difficult gauntlet in the game being an element of convenience sounds incredibly backwards. Sure, TTYD had the double item space at halfway, but that was halfway, and it's reasonable you'd get there before the end of the game.

I'll second this. This is just really bad design and heavily missing the point of a convenience item. It's like Pokemon giving you Fly after the Elite Four, when even Game Freak realized after over two decades the player should have that immediately.