Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Working my way through the bookworm isekai LN's and just finished the most recent one. I can't believe that they killed Myne. And replaced her with a high noble. Also isn't that baby that they enslaved still enslaved to the Lord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

kirtar posted:

If we're going by the prepubs (spoilers from next volume if you care) yes since we have confirmation in P3V1 that Bindewald is still alive and nothing in the volume 2 ones so far has indicated that he has been executed. Note that it's probably been about 3-5 months after the end of P2V4 at this point.

One thing that kind of confused me was haven't they already established that contracts don't apply across cities let alone duchies? So if the child were to leave the city wouldn't the contract be null and void?

Likewise with the other commoners that they have used previously who have the devouring and were enslaved to nobles. When they left their home city wouldn't their slave contracts have been voided?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Artificer posted:

Wait ||isnt she the protagonist?||

Myne is dead. They even had a funeral. Her workshop is now owned by a high noble.

I'd recommend reading the light novels if you want to learn more. You only need to get through two to catch up from the most recent season of the anime.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 6, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Why would you expect the Duke or the other high ranking nobles to want to change society? They are the ones who benefit most from it as is.

Myne it's pretty consistently appalled at the way the nobles act and tries to bring more equity into the society when she can. See when she changed up how tithes to the archbishop were allocated. She wanted to give them to everyone equally.

But she is, of course just an extremely sickly child. She doesn't have any real authority of her own. Any authority she does have is that the pleasure of the Duke and the high priest. She's very limited in what she can do.

Ultimately, the Duke has no idea what sort of bomb he's setting off by expanding the printing industry throughout his realm. As we know what happened in our world that was a huge catalyst for change in the aftermath of the middle ages. We do know from a previous book that the Gutenbergs will become a real force for change in society in the future.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

In this episode of Bookworm, the isekai'd child teaches nobles about basic management techniques.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

nrook posted:

3.2 was seriously so much better than 3.1 imo. it's funny to see someone other than Myne faceplant into Chesterton's fence for a change. something I really appreciate is that Myne's family still keeps showing up; it's not like they just exist as tragic backstory to be written out of the story.

I feel like Lutz is in extreme danger of losing his title as deuteragonist though, kid needs to step up his game.

I assume you're talking about the Duke changing the succession method. It was indeed good to see some actual pushback against his childish whims and poorly thought out schemes.

I am getting somewhat concerned about Rosemyne getting too comfortable with the morals of the world though. While I certainly don't like isekai protags who show up and "illuminate" the savages. Her willingness to accept the slavery of the orphans is troubling. It's one thing to work within the system with the modest power she has, and the limits she has as well. But her internal monologue seems to indicate she's starting to think that her previous morals are too restricted.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Who is ADTRW's favorite war criminal?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I got to say that I’ve basically lost all interest in further light novels from the “so I am a spider so what” series after the big reveal in the last book.

It just feels like there’s nowhere left to go in this story and it’s just been meandering around for a book or two. The books aren’t written particularly well just start with, consisting mostly of monologues of white because she never talks to anyone. Unlike at the start of the series where she had a driving force to survive, now she’s just pulled along from place to place by other characters with absolutely no character motivation of her own. It really sucks.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Seems like a problematic series

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Inuyasha and Digimon are more like Escaflowne though. There's travel to and from the home world and they're more like visitors.

Modern Isekai needs, like, Truck-sama or another deathbringer. The MC needs to be changed by the process in a fundamental way at the start, either by acquiring power or relearning the basics of society.

The MC doesn't really need to die to change worlds. One of the most popular modern Isekai's, Re:Zero, has the MC just walking out of a convenience store into the alternate world.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Pretty cool how pretty much the entire plot of Jobless, a series running currently this season, has been spoiled in this thread in big long screeds complaining about it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Argas posted:

is monster taming slavery

If the monsters are sapient, yes

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

But what is sapience

Human-like intelligence. Great apes have it, dolphins have it, elephants may have it.

Sentience just entails the ability to be aware of feelings and sensations. Your dog is sentient, as is an insect.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Isekai's are just the Japanese take on A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Honestly, this one is pretty bleh, but I do dig the cyclops girl who is having none of his bullshit OP powers.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

excuse me, it actually says "s*ave harem". totally different thing.

I'll not have my favorite stave harems forgotten!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I like how the cyclops girl keeps loosing her mind everytime he does some game poo poo because she's their world's version of a scientist.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Ascendence of a Bookworm - has multiple anime season, apparently very highly regarded, but I've not checked it out.

I'd definitely second this recommendation. It's my favorite Japanese series right now. Though I'd suggest the LN rather than the manga or the anime. Anime has portrayed up to what would be the end of part 2 (books 1-7) but there's parts 3,4, and 5 (the last of which haven't been translated yet) for another 26 volumes. It doesn't look like there will be any more anime. The manga, while well done, is tackling such an enormous series that they have 3 separate mangaka working on it at the same time (Parts 1 and 2 assigned to one, Parts 3 and 4 each assigned to another) with no one even starting part 5. It'll probably be 10+ years before the manga is done.

The light novel series will finish the Japanese version sometime next year, and the English translation should finish in 2 years at the 2 month per book pace they are doing. Plus it's really well written.

https://j-novel.club/series/ascendance-of-a-bookworm

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I absolutely recommend the manga over the anime. I actually consider the anime to be the worst version of the series by far.

I haven't read the manga or LN of Paladin, but I know I dropped the anime after a few episodes because it had pretty low production values and was boring as hell.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CubeTheory posted:

`Ascendance of a Bookworm`

You should absolutely read the light novels for this series.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Do they even talk about climate change in Japan?

I would imagine so, considering its an Island nation and highly vulnerable to the effects of rising sea levels and isn't a net fossil fuel exporter so doesn't have a huge vested interest in trying to supress it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

There's a thread as well, ostensibly about the anime adaptation, but really any medium is discussed there too.

Yep! It's here.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3997740

thetoughestbean posted:

Good to know! I’ll probably avoid it for the time being to avoid spoilers

Once you hit the end of part two anything that's out of spoiler tags in that thread should be safe to read. Any LN talk that happens for stuff after P2 is in tags, though honestly there's like a 0% chance of another season so we could probably stop doing that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Oh the Executioner's Way of Life is very good. It's got that kind of yuri where one character is really into another and they have to work on their relationship. Except the titular character wants to just murder the other character and spends most of their plot beats trying to figure out how.

It's also got a couple of great twists.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

oh hey, the female knight who showed up at my farm updated and hell, it's about tahm

I blasted through about half of this last night in one go. I've enjoyed it so far.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Would this be the place to post about English authors making isekai stories? Not really sure where that would go. There's one or two English first webnovels I might recommend.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

The title does say "any isekai you drat well please", go for it.

I've been plugging through "Chrysalis" (https://www.webnovel.com/book/chrysalis_11236791006300205) over the past few weeks and I'm enjoying it. There's a bit of "Tower of God", a lot of "So I'm a Spider? So What?". The MC basically starves to death on Earth (presumably in some Anglophone country, though it hasn't been stated which one at least as far as I've read) and is reincarnated on Pangea as an ant. The first... maybe quarter of the series doesn't have much in the way of dialog and it's mostly his monologue as he struggles to survive, but the characters open up a lot as the story goes on.

I've also been following "The Reincarnation of Alysara" (https://www.scribblehub.com/series/278151/the-reincarnation-of-alysara/) which I've enjoyed because it's largely been a a deep dive into the magic system. Bonus points for absolutely no slavery by the protaganist! It's a bit dry though and hasn't really worked into much of the overarching plot until the more recent chapters so I can certainly see some folks losing interest.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bremen posted:

So, I gave this a try, and within the first few chapters the MC is reincarnated into a race of fox people who all have enormous breasts (including the men) and a racial trait about how they can nourish themselves off each other's milk. I think that's probably enough for me; my experience with webnovels is when they're weird it's a bad idea to stay around to see how bad it gets.

That was a red flag for me when I read the synopsis originally. Nothing comes of it though. It is just setting dressing and the MC is essentially asexual, and no other characters make anything of it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kyte posted:

The entire prologue is basically a ripoff of FSN Archer up to and including the MC's motivations so at least it's relatively sensical.
Anyways you buried the lede which is he comes back in a Japan that's about 10 years after he left it and now there's monsters and superpowers on Earth too so he inevitably ends up having to use his own (vastly OP) abilities while trying to keep a low profile.

So it's basically a super sentai manga in disguise?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

I've seen a couple series with that concept, and usually it's "these spells are terribly optimized and use too much power for too little effect" and not "this spell randomly crashes and blows you up".

Technomages work like that in Babylon 5. They even had a spinoff book series centering around them and their magic.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Onean posted:

If you like Alysara due to the dive into magic, you might also like A Budding Scientist in a Fantasy World. Alice gets pulled into another world and finds herself incredibly curious about the System and magic, and dives into trying to figure out the details of how it all works (when she's not having to spend her time not starving and/or freezing to death).

I looped back around to finally read this. The prose quality certainly leaves something to be desired. The author does an underwhelming job editing their work as they forget words in sentences or make repetitious ones. I do think they do a better job than the author of Alysara at making the magic system comprehensible as the latter has gotten so deep that I've lost track of the rules there.

Once I get fully caught up I might make a few suggestions to the author on some tools they could use to check their grammar for said missing words or so on.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I never read stat boxes in isekai. If there's something important to them the author should point it out in the dialog or internal monologue. Single lines about important new skills obtained or whatever are *acceptable*

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

tanya started as a moderately unpleasant person and became a monster to spite god.

To be fair, Being X is a dick.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

I think I would have preferred it if they simply hadn't made this week's episode of Jobless Reincarnation, instead whatever the gently caress that was. :nallears:

What happened?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Jobless Reincarnation:
Rudeus is a bad person, he has gotten less despicable as the series has gone on but dude has a long way to go. Also Rudy would probably recognize Sylphie if she were openly female, still had green hair, or wasn’t wearing sunglasses. Really any of those would be enough.

I dunno. I've not watched this season or that episode, but sexually assaulting a girl seems pretty bad! Even worse than anything else I'm aware of him doing up to now! Sounds like he's gotten worse if anything!

Maybe I'm missing some context or the OP didn't really state things right, but it sounds like he's a bad guy who's soul Mangod would have been better off sandblasting to oblivion before the series started.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There's always more and it's always worse.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Decided to check top russian webnovel list and

A+ title, no notes.

Finally, a good webnovel.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The only good thing about MT is how much effort has gone into animating it and voicing it. Everything about the overall plot sucks.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The junk collector posted:

So S-Ranked daughter got an anime. It's... not good.

It's fine. It's certainly no masterpiece, but I don't think it's even below average. The action hasn't been great, but then the series doesn't really have a lot of this.

Also, S-Ranked isn't an isekai I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There's some really great stuff on RR. I wouldn't say those tend to be Isekai though.

These are the isekai/isekai adjacent ones I follow there.

The Last Orellen(this has gone on hiatus twice though)
Chrysalis (This one gets a lot better when the cast of characters increases)
The Reincarnation of Alysara (This is a pretty dry but detailed exploration of a magic system. There are not a lot of stakes to the story)

Non-isekai ones which I would highly recommend would be:
Nowhere Stars
Super Supportive
A Practical Guide to Sorcery