Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Onmi posted:

So now I ask the question to you all.

Is Planet of the Apes an Isekai story? Is Final Fantasy X an Isekai story or a fake-out Isekai story?

They are both fake out isekais.

Time travel isn’t isekai and I will die on this hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
That LN is supposed to actually be good, though

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was scrolling through MangaDex when I found “Filming Adult Videos In Another World”, translated by AnCap Translations. Will update on if it’s as trash as it seems

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nemo2342 posted:

It’s actually pretty funny and way less ecchi than I expected from a series with that premise.

It was definitely a lot funnier than I expected

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The problem with isekai is that majority of isekai that I’ve read would have been a lot better if they weren’t isekai. You don’t need the codified stats and the power fantasy removing all sense of challenge when you have an interesting world and plot!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I work at a bookstore and shortlisted a couple copies of the first volume of My Ideal Sponger Life because I’ve ended up talking about it with customers a couple times and we haven’t had the first volume for me to try to sell

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I bought the Final Fantasy isekai and so far it avoids the excesses of isekai manga. No slavery, the protagonist isn’t stupidly overpowered (his big moment in the first volume is just putting bomb fragments on arrows to make bomb arrows), the female characters seem reasonably dressed

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Bro Dad posted:

lol just wait

I got to the second volume and met the Magus Sister is literally 25% boob by volume

I’m not saying it’s a dealbreaker, especially considering it’s still not very horny by isekai standards, but wow. It’s a lotta boob

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have now read all six physically published volumes of the Final Fantasy isekai. So far my initial assessments are correct: despite the one lady who’s 25% boob by volume it doesn’t fall into any of the pit traps of isekai. The main character has the ability of Libra which lets him know some qualities of non-living objects, as well as read any language. Knowing about Final Fantasy games gives him a certain savviness, like knowing how to bounce reflected spells to get around an enemy’s reflect status but it doesn’t win fights for them, it just helps them survive.

It’s worth checking out if you like Final Fantasy.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Hey guys hook me up with your isekai revenge stories.

Well there’s—

quote:

good ones

Hmmm

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

pnumoman posted:

Slavery is okay in the Harry Potter universe because the house elves want it.

I'm very glad I was too old to grow up with those books

Congratulations instead you grew up with the works of Orson Scott Card or Terry Goodkind

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Found this at my job (I work at a Barnes and Noble)

“You got BDSM in my Minecraft isekai!”

“You got Minecraft in my BDSM isekai!”

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What the gently caress

Barnes and Noble still exists?

Yeah, people still like going to bookstores to buy their books. Sometimes they buy a coffee too

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

FilthyImp posted:

most of the B&N's I"ve been at have maybe two chairs strewn about somewhere and the kids section bench and the rest is like 4 coffee tables jutted up in the Starbucks so "Books and places to read" is half-right.

Excuse me it’s a Barnes and Noble cafe that sells Starbucks products, it’s very different

The difference is mainly that it won’t take your Starbucks gift card

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What’s the one where a middle-aged dad becomes the villainness from an otome game

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Yakuza Reincarnation has an official release if you feel like giving it some money

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Today I found out that Isekai Uncle already has five books published in English under the title Uncle From Another World

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RareAcumen posted:

There's a lotta Digimon being skipped in that list.

Digimon Adventure and Digimon Frontier are technically isekai but don’t belong in any conversation about the heavily codified trope filled isekai of the last ten years

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

remember, isekai that i personally like do not count as isekai

I like a number of modern isekai I just think that distinctions should be made between the modern isekai boom and older portal fantasy

Brought To You By posted:

I don't think the request is to just hand out more gamey isekai (which is ironic because Digimon itself is a game franchise first) but just other isekai anime to put on the list. Plus if they have already seen The Familiar of Zero and Escaflowne there's plenty of room to recommend stuff not from the last decade.

Also, because most of my picks have been mentioned I'll just put up Marchen Awaken's Romance, with the caveat that I've only read the manga but there's an anime of it as well.

Because I can’t help myself, Digimon started as a series of virtual pets, not games.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s okay. There really isn’t much to it beyond “I’m horny. I want a slave. Oh no, I’m the slave! I’m horny”

I chuckled a bit at the beginning but I don’t really think it’ll have much legs

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I read the first volume of Ascension of a Bookworm. It’s interesting enough that I ordered the next few volumes. I appreciate that Myne encounters failure pretty often, especially early on, it really takes the edge off the power fantasy aspects of isekai.

I really enjoyed the payoff chapter at the end where three adults talked about how completely ridiculous she is.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

gwrtheyrn posted:

There's a thread as well, ostensibly about the anime adaptation, but really any medium is discussed there too.

Good to know! I’ll probably avoid it for the time being to avoid spoilers

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Let’s Buy the Land and Cultivate It In Another World is legally available in English—or at least the manga is. I’d assume the ln is too, given how these things go. We have the first volume of it in my store

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m pretty sure the scanlators for The Ideal Sponger Life manga are on par with or behind the official translation. Volume 12 is already on the shelves of the store I work at

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RareAcumen posted:

The answer is probably because people would be like 'ugh, it's like history class' but I wonder where all the Isekai into old Japan structured fantasy lands are or if I'm just not finding those.

There’s a number of time travel manga, particularly where the mc meets Oda Nobunaga

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

AtomikKrab posted:

english cut off at chapter 12 and I feel loving ROBBED

You can buy at least the first three volumes at your local bookstore, if you’re desperate for more

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Yinlock posted:

it's a shame because "absolute shitstain slowly develops into a better person via an earnest desire for self improvement" is a good isekai character hook

Isn’t this Watamote

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Brought To You By posted:

Isn't that the plot for Witch Hat Atelier.

Not the plot per se, but definitely an element.

It’s the plot of Magilumiere though

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s pretty fun so far, I’d definitely recommend it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

drilldo squirt posted:

Anyone reading anything new that's not literal trash?

I’m still picking away at Ascendance of a Bookworm. I’m in the second volume of part two.

It’s interesting but you can really tell that it was initially written as web fiction. The story structure is based around chapters, not novels

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1658926534059491328?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

…sure why not. At least it’s a different flavor of trash

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Does anyone here read QA in Another World? Is it worth checking out?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I realized that I could read the first volume of QA in Another World for free on K-Manga and I’m liking it a lot so far. Leaving a man infinitely falling after he clipped through the world is loving brutal

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/kodanshamanga/status/1675260053325221888?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

Finally, an isekai about big (man) boobs

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Antitonic posted:

Actually on that, does anyone have some good Reverse Isekai recommendations? Been reading through Welcome To Japan, Miss Elf, and some similar things, so I’ve got a bit of an itch.

The Devil is a Part-Timer is pretty good. The premise is that all the traits that made the Demon King rise to the head of the demon army also make him a fantastic employee and WcDonalds, which he believes will be his springboard to world domination

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ve been reading Neko Oji: The Guy That Got Reincarnated as a Cat, which is largely tries to be a big too cute for its own good but but it constantly draws the old man’s face with the same expression as his cat form and it’s gold every time

https://x.com/neko_oji_en/status/1712634429942681681?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I read all of Isekai Samurai. It’s good. Not even good for isekai, just good

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Indiana_Krom posted:

This made me imagine an isekai where someone basically has Megumin's explosion without the one use a day/passing out downside but almost all of the problems are politics or agriculture related stuff and all the enemies are in easily collapsible dungeons. Everyone recognizes it is an incredibly powerful and broken ability, but it's also completely useless or suicidal 99.9% of the time.

Honestly sounds like classic light novel series Slayers

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I flipped through the first chapter of The First Night With The Duke, where a college student becomes an extra in the vn she likes, only to get drunk and end up sleeping with the main romance target.

Seemed fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
A custom brought up the series Omniscient Reader. I think it’s Korean. Anyone here know anything about it?