Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

pik_d posted:

Please do not the slop

Caught my typo, but it works either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Interesting that there's a replacement Noir like when you forget to feed your kids goldfish and make a quick dash to the pet store before they're back from summer camp. Wonder if hes just for photo ops.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Interesting that there's a replacement Noir like when you forget to feed your kids goldfish and make a quick dash to the pet store before they're back from summer camp. Wonder if hes just for photo ops.

I forget what the hell happened to noir again

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shageletic posted:

Maeve force-fed him his Kryptonite, almonds, and Noir went into a coma.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Homelander kills him for lying about his father (Soldier Boy), basically.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I wonder if they're gonna go the same route as the comics after all

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

you can tell that the trailer is SERIUOS BUISNERNISS when the into sounds are BWWWAAAAAA

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Was the snakes for tongue girl Neumann's daughter?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That would be too perfect.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Panfilo posted:

That was my impression.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Homelander kills him for lying about his father (Soldier Boy), basically.

Oh man that's kinda lame.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Oh man that's kinda lame.

I thought it was one of the better scenes of the season, TBH. True to form Starr makes a real meal of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFr2U6VbIhk

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Owlbear Camus posted:

Imagine if New Noir is comic Noir, lol.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm up for more spin offs if they can have very little focus on superpowers in them and explore this hosed up universe as a caricature of ours pumped up to 11.

I wish we could have seen Breaking Bad play out in this universe, basically the same story except Walter White is cooking temp V.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Senor Tron posted:

I'm up for more spin offs if they can have very little focus on superpowers in them…

Yeah I’d like a lord of the rings spin off but no hobbits or orcs or Gandalfs. Just the men.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

That almost makes sense. Like, a quick six episode show focusing on someone in the media with the big guest stars from the original show would be fun, but also that feels like a spin off comic miniseries rather than a big budget amazon TV production.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I wonder if they're gonna go the same route as the comics after all

It would truly be a tragic, unforced error imo.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Imagine if New Noir is comic Noir, lol.
If the twist is that public figure who just lost his trial and must go to jail aka the Homelander is a fresh clone and the Homelander we saw during the previous seasons is roleplaying/hiding as Noir to be the true hidden power behind his own throne, without having to go to jail for his crimes, it could work (at least better than the terrible "it's me, Austin, it was me all along" reveal of the comic), it's nowhere as bad. Still dumb as gently caress but it's kinda the kind of thing a man-child with colossal corporate resources like the Homelander would try if he could. Depend on how they characterize each character.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

pik_d posted:

Please do not the slop

You can't stop the slop.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Panfilo posted:

My guess is that it's Blood/Head Exploding Powers => Leech Girl with the daughter.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Party In My Diapee posted:

The only way to stop a bad supe...

It's be a pretty grim lol if they just leaned hard into something like this.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

Toplowtech posted:

If the twist is that public figure who just lost his trial and must go to jail aka the Homelander is a fresh clone and the Homelander we saw during the previous seasons is roleplaying/hiding as Noir to be the true hidden power behind his own throne, without having to go to jail for his crimes, it could work (at least better than the terrible "it's me, Austin, it was me all along" reveal of the comic), it's nowhere as bad. Still dumb as gently caress but it's kinda the kind of thing a man-child with colossal corporate resources like the Homelander would try if he could. Depend on how they characterize each character.

I'm not sure Homelander is physically capable of being silent or of secondary importance for even one moment

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Sounds like something Santos/other dumb crime elemental Republican would do.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Costco Meatballs posted:

I'm not sure Homelander is physically capable of being silent or of secondary importance for even one moment
That's extremely true. Also the new Noir is probably going to hallucinate muppets instead of cartoons. Being a hero of Goldenkin U or whatever.

Outrail posted:

Sounds like something Santos/other dumb crime elemental Republican would do.
Don't spoil Santos next move please.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Homelander is going to get the kiddiest kid gloves of a trial and totally lose his poo poo that he has to wear handcuffs or something like that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Speculation: Clone Homelander/Noir is kept secret until Homelander becomes too much of a problem, so they kill the clone (to show to the world he's dead), and real Homelander goes into hiding/witness protection. Final show of the show is Homelander with dyed hair and a beard, sitting in a regular house hating every second of it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Speculation: Clone Homelander/Noir is kept secret until Homelander becomes too much of a problem, so they kill the clone (to show to the world he's dead), and real Homelander goes into hiding/witness protection. Final show of the show is Homelander with dyed hair and a beard, sitting in a regular house hating every second of it.

The one thing that would sell me a bit on this speculation about clone homelander, which I don't think is actually the direction they're going is if Clonelander actually buys into the hype and tries to be a Good Guy, just a complete good-natured simple naif saving people and doing the right thing until he gets got. It would be a kind of compelling tragedy

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Owlbear Camus posted:

The one thing that would sell me a bit on this speculation about clone homelander, which I don't think is actually the direction they're going is if Clonelander actually buys into the hype and tries to be a Good Guy, just a complete good-natured simple naif saving people and doing the right thing until he gets got. It would be a kind of compelling tragedy

Only works if Vogelbaum learned from the first try and raised Clonelander in a happy sim - family upbringing to prevent any latent trauma from turning him into a sociopath. In Diabolical we see Homelander's disastrous debut which plays a part as well; he learned the hard way he was never going to be able to be the squeaky clean American Hero they groomed him to be; far too much collateral damage happened that it was easier to embrace being a killing machine than a genuine force of good.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Man I'm bummed we won't get more Soldier Boy in s4. He was the best thing about it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
We won't?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Habibi posted:

We won't?

I mean, I'm making an assumption obviously. He wasn't in the one trailer I watched and the ending of last season seems like he was put on ice.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Kaddish posted:

I mean, I'm making an assumption obviously. He wasn't in the one trailer I watched and the ending of last season seems like he was put on ice.

And managed to show up in Gen V anyway. Eric Kripke likes to kill off Jensen Ackles and bring him back in various fun and exciting ways.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Kaddish posted:

the ending of last season seems like he was put on ice.

Sure, that's how he survives the off-season.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Shageletic posted:

I feel like the Boys made a potential mistake sidelining Stan this early....I say potentially because if they make it a purposeful plan from his end then that squares that circle. Half the fun if the Boys (well most of it for me) was seeing superherorics get squashed under the insistent control of capitalist monsters.
This is, I think, one of the weakest aspects of the Boys as a TV Series compared to the original, even if the series is much better in general.

Comics Vought is a faceless, unreasonably gigantic cyberpunk corpo - they are the villain of the story, always. Homelander is one of their moneymakers and their personal attack dog if they need him to do that, but it is always clear that Homelander could never take on Vought even if he wanted to in fact, he first decides to take on the entire human race than Vought...and when he does so, his rebellion is squashed by Vought in a day's time.

This is mostly cause you can't really control Comics Vought by threatening an individual - its authority is spread over countless c-suites and investors, its influence is omnipervasive. Hell, Homelander himself is only interfacing with this faceless monster through Comics Stillwell - the perfect corpo cog in the machine, that only exist to forward the corporate agenda (Homelander himself is somewhat scared by how inhuman Stillwell is).

Show Vought is much more embodied by individuals, making it feel much smaller - same with the fact that the Seven are basically the only supergroup that has any screen time - and because of that, the show ends up conflating Vought with Homelander a lot more

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I feel like it wouldn't really matter how pervasive or powerful Vought is in the face of something like homelander. Unless all the C-levels are ignorant of who the other C-levels are all an Omnipowerful person like homelander needs to do is get ahold of one of them and then it's a matter of pulling fingers off until he knows the names and locations of their offices and labs who get exploded and etc etc until theres nothing but lower management and a few regional offices and the corporation is effectively dead.

Also do something similar to network executives who will immediately fall into line a la 'It's good that Bart did that!'.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 21, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well that's mostly because comics Homelander is more allegorical, he's a product. The real pitch for The Boys wasn't 'what if Superman was evil' it was 'lets replace guns with superheroes?' Comics Vought were a weapons manufacturer, in specific ones that supplied the pentagon with knowingly faulty M16s during Vietnam. Finding that out was what caused The Legend to betray Vought since his son died in Vietnam. They pivoted to Homelander when the war was winding down and they saw there sales drop, like the gun manufacturers decided to take over the NRA and start selling these guns to civilians.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I finally caught up on Gen V and that sure was an ending. Better show than I expected though.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Outrail posted:

I feel like it wouldn't really matter how pervasive or powerful Vought is in the face of something like homelander. Unless all the C-levels are ignorant of who the other C-levels are all an Omnipowerful person like homelander needs to do is get ahold of one of them and then it's a matter of pulling fingers off until he knows the names and locations of their offices and labs who get exploded and etc etc until theres nothing but lower management and a few regional offices and the corporation is effectively dead.

Also do something similar to network executives who will immediately fall into line a la 'It's good that Bart did that!'.
It's mostly that Comic Vought is a representation of capitalism at large. It is a cyberpunk mega corporation, like if Disney, Monsanto, Lockheed, Coca Cola, Google, Amazon, Merk and General Motors were all part of the same monolithic enthity. You can't punch your way through that because it is, literally, intertwined in every single aspect of the world's economic and political power (with a direct analogy to the American military industrial complex).

Also, as mentioned, while Comic Homelander is as much of a Superman as one can be in the Boys' world, BIG COMICS SPOILERS his insurrection is quashed by the Vought backed US military in an afternoon. Including killing him and all the other rebel supes dead by shooting them with supe-grade weapons, made by Vought. The "bad product" line is the last comment Comic Stillwell makes when asked his opinion on the whole situation. And in the grand scheme of things, that's all that's left at the end of the supes. A footnote in a corporate ledger.

I agree that Show Homelander is much different, much more threatening character - but that is also caused by how much more "human" (as in, the various parts of its apparatus have a human face) Vought is in the show compared to the Comics.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 25, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Oh, well that makes sense then. Going off the show, the whole point seems to be that homelands is an unstoppable, unbeatable force. But if there's weapons that can shoot them all dead he's not that, and no different from another dickhead in a killdozer.

But yeah The show homelander could probably destroy the world's economy by going for the board of directors of every major corporation. It'd probably take a few months/years, but it'd be quite feasible. Probably?

Outrail fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Maybe I'm remember it wrong but I could've sworn that homelander gets killed by Black Noir in the White House after the clone reveal, and that afterwards Butcher shows up and kills Black Noir who is very heavily injured and can't fight back.