Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So, I just got finished with season 2, and please tell me that there's more to the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Uh... Define more.

Season 3 material. We won't be wandering into late game of thrones territory.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Go watch Game of Thrones you loving nerd!

Don't watch the second to last and last seasons tho. They are dumpster fires.

Man, Homelander may be the best villain I've ever seen. Something about his motivations and character manage to be both a massive caricature and completely believable.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

DrNutt posted:

The horse drawing meme that gets progressively worse is the best and most concise encapsulation of the descending quality of GOT over the seasons. I wanna say that it starts getting really bad when they depart from the books, but honestly it was bad even before that with their terrible adaptation of the Dorne plot and Teenage Mutant Ninja Sand Snakes. I think at this point I would be willing to rewatch the 1st two seasons and pretend like it was sadly cancelled after that.

lovely sand snakes were canon. That whole 4th book was GRRM desparately trying to recover his character pool from The Red Wedding.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

etalian posted:

Yeah and Antony Starr is really great at flipping the emotions / character as the scene as required.

Like how homelander can go from being venerable / sympathetic to being a menacingly psychopath.

Yeah, it really creates the link from his vulnerability to his narcissism. He cannot handle any amount of criticism, challenge to his authority, or the hint of abandonment. That scene where Stormfront leaves him to check on the asylum and he chokes her really drove home how unhinged and dangerous he can be to the very people he loves even more so than the season 1 ending.

His constant need to be loved by all and the tyranny by which he forces everyone to obey his every command is just such a spot on characterization of America it's profound. Masturbating while chanting "I can do anything" is so loving perfect.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Alchenar posted:

No it's more than that. The episode sets you up to think that he's being petty and childish with abandonment issues, but then he reveals the real reason he's pissed off is because he checked out the tower and he knows Stormfront has been lying to him about something.

Yes, but both. If someone says, "I have to go take a piss" and you check the bathroom and they aren't there, the normal response isn't to threaten their life. Only a complete psycho would do that.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

When I was a child words had meanings and it was nice to use words like “responsibility” or “figuratively” before Millennial idiots replaced them with “adulting” and “literally”

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The one thing that always stuck out for me was:

"Why doesn't Homelander just bully the CEO of Voight like everyone else? Why doesn't he just kill him when he gets angry, or at least choke him or murder his friends or SOMETHING." And then it dawned on me that Voight represented capital and Homelander represented America, and American interests have always uniquely bowed to corporate interests.

So, there you go.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

No. It's because he'd get fired if he did that, silly. How would he pay his mortgage with no job and no college degree?

I mean, he murdered his last boss, so....

Also he can literally do anything he wants. That's kind of his whole deal. Are you going to try and evict Superman?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

There is no data to back this up. We've never seen him actually fight anyone and they only time he's been successfully attacked in when Kenji buries him in concrete.

Blowing up Homelander's head would completely go against the concept of the character and the narrative for the series. He's a stand-in for the United States, an overpowering super-bully that does whatever it wants, however it wants, whenever it wants, and you can't just defeat it by popping heads.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

I understand that. What I'm saying is that none of the other supes have really tried to fight him yet so we don't really know how tough he is.

My prediction is that Neuman will eventually try to pop his head and fail because yeah I agree you can't just have someone kill that way so easily. But so far nobody has even tried to do anything to him except Kenji and the wind supe from Homelander's war crime incident.

Honestly, I kind of want to watch him catch cancer as a result of some Voight company excursion. Like, there's an accident at the V plant that he has to clean up, and it kills all the people and makes him sick. And nobody can cure him because they can't kill any of the cancer cells without, like, a nuke. Instead, the disease weakens him to the point where he is no longer capable of the tyranny that he once was, and a lot of people start seeking revenge. Some successful, some unsuccessful, but always with massive collateral damage that hurts civilians.

Or, the future that Homelander actually cares about, his child grows more and more distant, more and more disgusted with the monster he recognizes. He goes through a violent adolescent period which Homelander is forced to stop, being permanently maimed in the process. Maybe he loses one of his eyes and can't laser beam anymore or something

Either way, Homelander lashes out at the people who can't fix him, can't return him to the super-power that he was one before. He grows delusional over the new supes who are getting more and more powerful.

My resume is available upon request.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 9, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tip posted:

Geez, c'mon, give her a chance.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

I mean, not even? Cops still lean on the old idea of law + order and patriotism. I've yet to see cops meme properly. Though, I do love that the primary conflict of the season appears to be 2000's right-wing nationalistic fascism vs 2020's internet troll fascism.

I'd say that Stormfront is a pretty spot-on for cops. Keep watching!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Every single person that has any meaningful interaction, including the super powered ones, are universally terrified of him. I don't think having powers makes him any less terrifying when he's got his eyes on you.

Yah, the only person that was NOT absolutely loving terrified of him was Stormfront, because she was in love with him.

Edit: missed a bit 'not' there.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 11, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's a sad and satirical scene meant to evoke empathy and laughter. Anyone who feels more of one and less of the other is perfectly justified.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Another Bill posted:

I really feel like I realized what was going to happen at the same time as everyone in the boat and it was a real moment.

The whole scene had an absurd feeling to it. Like, when you watch the show, all the characters and the setting are really engrossing. And for a bit, you forget how it's a grown up super hero comic movie and think of it as a drama or a political action show, like the opposite of 24( including being actually good).

Then they drive a boat through a whale, and

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 19, 2020

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's the one where he drives straight over Vogelbaum's lawn.

Absolute monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xgTfRWUpAw&t=16s

Only a monster could drink such a dainty little cup of tea with such menace

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QporKf8VRaM

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Never in 1 million years did I think someone drinking boiling hot tea would be a tool for psychotic intimidation but Karl Urban is just putting out a next-level performance in this show.

The entire show is casted and acted so brilliantly it makes me angry that so many terrible actors are so much more well known.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

spookygonk posted:

UK goon here. Can confirm, otherwise the Queen can have you killed.

This is why we threw that poo poo in the river.

...milk first. Jesus loving Christ.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

etalian posted:

That video is pretty neat, they use hand painting and sculpting to add in the finer details.

I never thought I'd learn anything from "Teen Kids News!" but here we are.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

T-man posted:

in 2029 funko pops become the defacto currency

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Her exterior will reflect her interior which will reflect Nazism in general. It's fitting.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I'm pretty sure any shares she would have been seized by the allies after the Nazis lost the war.

Although, her taking over as CEO would be pretty cool, so I hope it happens that they were somehow Switzerlanded to safety.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

T-man posted:

lemme tell you about a little thing called operation paperclip

Wait, did the nazi scientists retain their holdings in Volkswagen?

Edit: And other Nazi corps?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

etalian posted:

I wonder if Obama actually watched the Boys + great Homelander ending scene or if something he just said to seem in touch with the latest popular TV shows per recommendation from the focus groups...

It is 100% possible that he sat and watched the entire show and it went completely over his head.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Imagine watching Antony Starr this season and being like "no more good performances from this guy!"

Ffs, everyone gave a great performance. Storm front was unbelievably likable by pure charisma alone.

And if you didn't like season 2, you might be a cryptofascist.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Is a cryptofascist someone who's always trying to push bitcoin on you all the time?

Christ, I wish.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

T-man posted:

no, a cryptofascist were the nazis trying to break allied encryption in WWII, to steal our bitcoins

Alan Turing and his brave crusade to destroy German U-Boats with dogecoin.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I am sort of rolling my eyes at the "LOOK AT THIS THING I MADE" with "written by Jessica Chou" cropped out of the thumbnail, but Kripke is usually pretty woke so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

If they can pull off the "I can do anything!" scene, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wheeee posted:

I finally got around to watching Eyes Wide Shut recently, European cut without the censorship, and god drat that was an impressively non-erotic orgy to the degree that I believe it to have been intentional on Kubrick's part that the entire thing be an oddly non-sexual experience focused on the play of power.

Haven't seen it in a while but I remember it being that way, very much a "these people exist in a world far above your own, one that you can never be a part of no matter how much you wish you were".

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Millions of people saw the Rodney King video and still didn't believe that the justice system is a violent, racist institution. People will rationalize just about anything.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 21, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somewhat disappointed that poster "Beef Stew" did not weigh in on the nature of racist chili.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Thus far, the show has managed to make all the absurd and campy poo poo relevant and strangely poignant..

Except for Love Sausage. That scene was a little...why? What does this character and this concept contribute to this scene?

Meanwhile, "I can do anything!" developed the allegory and the character pretty well.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

etalian posted:

It's a parody of the My Pillow guy ads right?

Also at final line which was a subtle reference to Homelander "outside of work" interests.

Holy crap, I can't wait for the next season.

They keep hitting it out of the park, I'm just waiting for them to do something crappy at this point.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

He's 12. He's not responsible for anything.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

multijoe posted:

I thought Butcher was meant to be Australian for most of S1

Wait...he's not?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ok, but is it extremely water?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

mcbexx posted:

I am pretty sure those were an actual thing at some point.

They still are.

https://www.ar500armor.com/backpacks.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

What if capitalism was superheroes.