Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Solice Kirsk posted:

If I were Superman I'd do nothing but covertly undo all the progress made on construction projects in the middle of the night. Workers just show up the next day confused as hell when all the concrete they poured has vanished and in its place is nothing but a befuddled looking teddy bear with a single half inflated balloon.

Whoa. Step aside, Stormfront, I've found the most evil supe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

etalian posted:

The whole "I can do Anything I want" scene was hilarious.

I got caught be off guard since I read in interviews in Antony Starr that it was filmed back during season 1 production yet ended up being cut since it was too over the top and sexually explicit for amazon.

I had read about the scene being cut from season 1, and as soon as I realized what was going on I was laughing maniacally.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Nazis really weren't too fond of the physically handicapped though.

They murdered people born with disabilities, but they praised injured veterans. Although Hitler replaced the pension system for injured veterans with one that paid based on the heroic nature of the injury, so that a minor combat wound would get a larger pension than a serious wound in training.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It is 100% possible that he sat and watched the entire show and it went completely over his head.

He probably did the "I can do whatever I want" scene with one hand on the nuclear button.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That was episode 3, not episode 2. I watched the first two episodes thinking "Ugh, are they really going to have this edgy 4chan 'feminist' lecture Starlight for a whole season?"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The thing about racist symbols is, it's OK to not know what they are. It's how you react to finding out that matters. The other day I was talking to someone in a white supremacist gang who said he wants to renounce racism, but he still wants to wear his patches and hang out with his white supremacist buddies - so he's still a racist. That's different from someone who might post a Stonetoss comic without realizing what it represents.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm going to bet The Boys and Stranger Things did not coordinate on having "Dream A Little Dream Of Me" as a recurring musical motif in their latest season.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love Frenchie calling Butcher "Monsieur Charcutier"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MokBa posted:

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is that they nailed the casting for young Mallory.

Yeah, absolutely. Looks just like her, and the actress is doing a phenomenal job.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

veni veni veni posted:

Conversation I just had with my brother

Him: I almost puked when that guy exploded in the other guys rear end
Me: rear end? That was his dick
Him: oh I was closing my eyes most of the time. I thought it looked weird for an rear end

Yeah, this was my reaction as well. I was thinking "that's a very hairless butt" and not looking too closely

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There's a banner going across the screen of the TV show where it lists everyone's powers. I can't recall supersonic past super strength. There was another power listed, flight maybe? I'll go back and check if no one else does by tonight.

Sonic clap

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

We didn't see a body, so the writers can choose whether or not she's actually dead, depending on the needs of the plot.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Boys violence is usually too over-the-top to be disturbing to me, it's like Team Fortress 2 violence. Although Tony and Timothy both had brutal deaths.

But yeah, I really hate consequence-free violence like Batman bonking a henchman on the head to harmlessly knock him unconscious, or Katniss shooting bad guys with a bow and arrow to kill them instantly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm reasonably confident that given his pharmacological background, Frenchie could probably reverse engineer it and perhaps even make it better, given time.

Of course, that would necessitate Butcher copping to having the poo poo in the first place.

No way. Something that costs $2 million a vial, and he's going to replicate it in a home lab? Without making Butcher's heart explode?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Wow, 70 new posts, I bet there's a lot of discussion about the new trailer - oh.

Panfilo posted:

Kind of surprised they didn't go with the body horror of having a superpowered fetus explode out of their pregnant mom a la Alien. Like when Huey is at Red River I could have totally imagined this happening right in front of him since he is a magnet for getting human giblets all over himself.

Didn't they depict this in the second season, as a lie to Butcher about what happened to Becca?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

thunderspanks posted:

gently caress I love this goddamn show.

I also thought it was a neat subversion that they'd show a graphic dickhole representation and not Deep's wife's boobs during the sex scene.

I wondered if it was a request by the actress, but you could be right that it was a deliberate subversion.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a very proud set designer who now has a 20-foot-long fake penis on display in his house.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

christmas boots posted:

And I think on some level they recognize that they understand each other in a way no one else does. It really isn’t friendship exactly, but there’s definitely a kind of closeness

They both understand the way the world works better than anyone else does. Butcher knows that Homelander is capable of killing everyone, and ultimately he will, and anyone who thinks they have control over Homelander is deluding themselves. Homelander knows too, and he likes it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I loved the piss tape reference.

Good episode. It really feels like the conflict with Homelander has to come to a head soon, because the current situation is so unstable. Members of the Seven can only get murdered so many times.

I wonder if A-Train really sold out Starlight, or if Homelander overheard, and lied to manipulate her. There's a lot of tension caused by the way he can show up unannounced anywhere.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Habibi posted:

If Hughie teleported into Homelander, whose molecules would win?

Homelander.

Also, there's never any need for Homelander to poison someone. If he wants to kill someone, he will laser them. If he wants to kill someone with deniability, he could throw them into deep space.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Homelander knows that Edgar isn't scared of him, and is willing to talk poo poo to his face. Homelander can't conceive of anything except brute power - he can be sneaky and he's not dumb but to him power is just who can do the most violence the fastest. Edgar isn't afraid of Homelander, even after , getting kneecapped by his adopted supe daughter/secret assassin, ergo Edgar must know or have something that could harm Homelander. It's straight up Abuser Dynamics 101.

That reminds me of this video. The lions are being skittish because can't be sure if the dog knows something that they don't. Anything that small and that confident must have a reason for it, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E764g-uZTFk

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Avasculous posted:

He said Neumann would "smell" a fake injury/sickness. I'm not sure if that's a reference to her investigative talent or he actually thinks Supes can smell broken bones and flu infections.

Homelander and Ryan have both shown the ability to detect someone's pulse, so sensing a fake broken bone seems plausible.

Bust Rodd posted:

I like to imagine that Starlight is making a late night PBJ after work and lazily screwing back on the cap with a 600 horsepower death grip which is why Hewie needs her help every morning

Yeah, this is a problem that happens in any relationship with a large strength difference. Only now, it's superpowered.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 13, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I think about this aspect a lot. Because I do think the writers of the show are expressing a genuine critique, and also it's absurd this is an Amazon Original. Clearly, Amazon doesn't need to censor the message, because why bother? What are people going to do, not engage with corporate capitalism? Good luck.

Homelander seems to echo this with the way he taunts Victoria and Starlight. "You want to stop me? Go ahead, try to kill me, see what happens."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Soldier Boy had nothing to do in the tank but read theory so he's going to be a repentant ally.

The Russians turned him into a tankie.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The comment section knocks it out of the park again. I assume they're mostly not astroturfed, but any comments that don't play along get deleted.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Some supes get super-durability and some don't. I don't think Headpopper is tougher or stronger than a regular human. I wonder if there was someone who got A-Train's speed but not his strength, and splattered himself the first time he tripped on a curb.

Sab669 posted:

Maybe he was exposed to peanuts at that war camp base outpost thingy :hmmyes:

Tree nuts.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do wonder if Starlight could generate a light so bright at point blank range that it burns out his corneas.

I wonder if she would win if they fought inside an electrical substation, amplifying her powers greatly. Homelander might be wondering the same thing, and won't take the risk if he can avoid it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"If you kill him, you'll be just like him" is a common, overdone trope. Particularly in franchises where the heroes are constantly slaughtering nameless goons, but draw the line at someone actually powerful.

Although in this case it's more complicated because they're merely gathering resources for an attempt to kill Homelander, and disagreeing about how far they should go to do it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Wasn't there a line, around the time of A-Train's race against Shockwave, where Homelander mocks A-Train and says that he's faster?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Boofy posted:

so what was that gunpowder guy's superpower, anyway? just 'being really good at guns' like that guy in the really bad wolverine movie?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Homelander hates weakness, and he sees any lack of privilege as weakness. If you're Black, queer, disabled - he hates that about you. If you care about someone besides yourself, that is weakness. Black Noir is strong, hides his race, and hides anything that might be important to him; Homelander respects that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Homelander is the modern racist. He doesn't hate people just for the colour of their skin, he just hates the weak and the poor and the vulnerable and that somehow means he hates immigrants and inner-city poor people a lot. But if you tell him that's racist he'd say oh no, he hates everyone equally. And he makes racist jokes to needle at people but that's who he is, he'll joke about anything, what are you a snowflake? He has friends of colour, look at Supersonic, he was one of the good ones.

Stormfront is the old-school full-blown Nazi racist, and Homelander thinks that's gauche nowadays. The show tends to be very on-the-nose with its message, but judging by this thread maybe it's not blunt enough.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Superman is the Platonic ideal of a superhero. The show would be much less compelling if it was about an evil Spiderman or Iron Man or whatever.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

f#a# posted:

I wonder if it was a conscious decision to make you feel uncomfortable and guilty for watching yet another laser beam clash

That whole fight scene was loving terrible. After all this buildup of Homelander supposedly being a terrifying unstoppable demon, it turns out that Temp-V made Butcher and Hughie capable of trading blows with him. It took more people to stomp on Stormfront. We know that Homelander is strong enough to throw people into orbit or through stone walls, but instead we got boring superhero fisticuffs between him and Soldier Boy.

Rest of the episode was great, especially A-Train's apology and Annie's speech.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This episode has some amazing moments but a standout had to be Deep hauling rear end to his h3 with the octopus in a plastic bag of water. "I don't wanna hear it! Not the time!"

I loved the little detail that during the octopussy scene, after Deep says "It was Homelander's idea", Annie does a double-take and looks at the octopus before asking "What was his idea?"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If the boys are capable of beating Homelander, they still have to catch him. He's more like a nuclear bomb than a super-soldier. If he enacts his plan to destroy Washington and New York, I don't see how they can stop him while he's flying around at Mach 5. Would be an interesting callback to Action Comics #1 if Homelander flies along some power lines and blows up every power station he sees.

Also, Hughie has the ability to kill anyone who doesn't have flight or temperature-related powers; just teleport them naked to the Far North.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

spacetoaster posted:

Same thing in Watchmen.

The Comedian breaks into his old nemesis's house to chat him up at night because his greatest foe is the closest thing he has to a friend.

In Ministry for the Future, one of the protagonists kidnaps the head of the Ministry at gunpoint. She ends up visiting him in prison and it turns into a touching friendship. I think it always makes for an interesting plot dynamic.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: I wonder what the downside of the Temp V is, aside from being addictive obviously. We see Hughie has blood in his ears at one point, but as far as I know Butcher hasn't shown any physical side-effects yet, just some hallucinations while he was coming down? I also wonder how much of those side effects are actually known or outright intended by Vought, I can easily see them tying down the military not just with temp superpowers for soldiers but the drugs they need to recover/survive extended use of it as well.

He's been puking bright green fluid, and having bouts of uncontrollable laser-eyes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bust Rodd posted:

Also, for anyone ITT too afraid to ask, Herogasm is basically what any normal sex party at a fancy AirB&B is like, pretty much exactly, even the sushi & caterers and the host of the event being a secretly huge creep.

I think in the comics, a lot of sex workers get killed by reckless use of super-strength. It's probably best that we didn't get shown that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Habibi posted:

As far as his beam goes, my pet theory is that it doesn't "depower" Supes, per se. Rather, the high dose of radiation deactivates / suppresses the V in their DNA, but maybe eventually the effects fade as their bodies naturally purge the radiation.

This feels like practically the same thing. Although I'm pretty sure they tested radiation on Homelander and it didn't work.

They did mention he had some radiation going, 20 whatever it was. Chernobyl shoved up his rear end etc.

20 Sieverts. That's 400 times the annual dose allowed for radiation workers, and 10 times the dose absorbed by Chernobyl liquidators who got 90 seconds to shovel radioactive debris back into the reactor building.

Looking it up, people have occasionally survived the acute radiation syndrome from 10 Sieverts. You'd think the Russians would have tried more overkill than that.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

They might have. He's currently kicking off that radiation at rest, they may have hit him with way more to get him to be at that level normally, cause when he does his blast, the radiation count is way higher. That energy has to come from somewhere, so maybe internally he's rocking way more than 20 and being as tough as he is, his skin is blocking the radiation from leaking worse. He's supposed to be the toughest supe ever before Homelander.

I rewatched the scene with the Geiger counter - he's giving off 90 microSieverts per hour, which is bad news in the long term for anyone he might live with, but not enough to cause acute radiation syndrome.

Apparently the show's executive producer said that he can "fry the compound V right out of their blood", which would imply that other radioactive weapons might be effective against supes.