Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I enjoyed all of it but everything involving the deep after the big MeToo moment was pointless, especially the gill rape scene, that was all pretty dumb and missed out on everything that made the original dynamic between the Deep and Starlight to be rapey. Why wouldn't he just tell that girl to gently caress off? Annie was scared into believing he'll ruin her career if she didn't comply, what stopped him from just going 'yikes, no thanks'?. It was a pretty forced 'walk a mile in her shoes' thingy, and it really wasn't interesting, his story wasn't interesting on it own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
the security cam footage showing Becca coming out of Homelander's room seemed to imply rape to me, she was clearly coming out of the room in a distraught state, holding her shoes in her hands and all like someone who was leaving that room in a hurry.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Goons: the boys is just some stupid fun, it's not about meaningful social commentary
The Boys: has a literal nazi manipulate public opinion through the power of shitposting and memes.

Yes I know no one really said that, this is a jokey post.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think what's still unclear is just how exactly are Edgar and Stormfront aligned on their agendas, Stormfront is a full on nazi with a proper Eugenicist agenda, she doesn't want non-white super heros yet Vought created A-Train and others, Vought\Edgars is more into the whole capitalist profiteering aspect of the whole thing, I'm not sure they have a clear social agenda (they also never wanted to get involved so directly with the US military).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Romes128 posted:

I think she meant she was part of a church... a long time ago... like down south. She was trying to make A Train uncomfortable.

I think she was clearly alluding to the fact that the church of the collective has white supremacist roots, and probably also a secret contemporary white supremacist agenda.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't know, I don't think Stormfront is being allegorical, she says she was a member a long time ago and that they just 'let anyone in these days', she's also a nazi super soldier, of course she also had a double layer of meaning when referring to the Seven and A-Train's presence within it but I also think it's well, the text of the show that she states she was once a part of the church of the collective and that they used to be 'less inclusive'.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

ZZZorcerer posted:

Not exactly spoilers, but
isn't Homelander all about America? Shouldn't he laser the nazi after the reveal ?? What about his ideals?

lmao, yeah, I know

This is the social commentary

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The whole not so subtle subtext is that capitalists and nationalists make easy bed fellas with unabashed fascists.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It seems to me like goons always assume people are nefarious masterminds with a hidden agenda when sometimes people are just obtuse, or stupid, or sometimes they're just a little ignorant, you know? and really goons should know by now that a person getting dogpiled is rarely if ever going to say something along the lines of "boy did I make an rear end out of myself, I guess everything I said was pretty stupid huh?".

Is he even trolling? why can't he just be the guy who missed a very obvious plot development? idgi goons.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I dunno I find the speculation about the identity of the head popper to be strange, yes Cindy could just be misdirection or a future Boys asset that has nothing to do with the head popping but given that we've seen that she can pop heads, do it through a live broadcast and is seemingly a little unhinged and very willing to kill I think it's pretty obvious it's gonna be her doing it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

:confused: It absolutely does happen. Starts at 19:50.

Yeah not only that but she also clearly only pops the guard's head and not his entire body, it's a bit hard to see in the scene itself but a few moments later there's a shot where you can see a uniformed headless corpse on the ground.

Turns out the goon accusing people of being bad at watching TV was a goon who's bad at watching TV all along, crazy.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
https://imgur.com/a/kyKSnhQ

we can't see the entire upperbody of course but the part we do is intact, and surprisingly clean.

Now this is too much :effort: already but if you watch the popping in slow mo you can see that the guard's body falls down, it just twists a little bit. At least that's what I see.

Alright enough, it'll be pretty obvious next episode one way or another.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think it's more interesting for superman to be a cruel narccisist who views regular humans as untermenschen than it is to do a weird bizarro superman evil plot secret reveal thingy.

Very glad the show isn't doing this silly plot.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Yudo posted:

This show serves as a better commentary on contemporary capitalism and imperialism than anything else. The Nazi thing falls flat: the Nazi's were not super anything and they got their asses handed to them by untermensch. I fear that the name "Stormfront" betrays that the writers have fallen for Nazi mythology, but whatever it's a tv show.

Supes are the atomic bomb, Dr. Vought is Werner Von Braun, some of the chronology is changed. Vought basically won america the war with weaponized eugenics, the nazis weren't cool, they got their asses handed to them, but they found a new lease for life within capitalism and american imperialism. Stormfront is shown as having adopted the affectations of 'young internet people' but she is explicitly an 80 year demon, and the one time she is shown to seemingly take off her mask she speaks with a broken voice and whines about a past long lost.

I think the show really goes out of its way to show that everything 'cool' about stormfront is actually pathetic, at least that's how it felt to me.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Seems I was wrong and am bad at watching tv.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The boys is really not the kind of show I watch for a fully consistent plot but still it'd be pretty messed up world-building-wise if any random bloke could become homelander-esque, it's like Vought would have gotten rid of Homelander years ago if they could, he kinda has to be uniquely powerful for the setting to make sense, he has the powers of a god and the mentality of spoiled child. Though I mean, I don't know, it's the boys, for the purpose of a cool fight and a snarky one liner who knows what could happen, Butcher and Homelander slagging it out would be fun to watch, that's for certain.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh yeah I don't think Homelander channeling Trump is meant to be a subtle nod, the whole sequence of Homelander first being embarrassed by his Nazi lover immediately learning that this actually makes him more popular and leaning right into the race baiting, fascism and globalist anti-semitic conspiracy theories was really not subtle. He literally mentions George Soros.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Cojawfee posted:

So is butcher going through withdrawal or is that just the side effects of the drug? How is the military going to use that to fight wars when all their soldiers are throwing up the next several days? Though that would be a sight to see on the battlefield. Dudes shooting laser eyes and then throwing up as they run across the field, shrugging off bullets.

The battle either ends real fast or you better have more soldiers to throw at the problem?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Temp V soldiers are much like using heroes on the battlefield, it's a tactical nuke you set off somewhere you don't mind the collateral, with Temp V there's also the added benefit that you can get rid of the evidence if poo poo goes too wrong, with regular heroes you're stuck with Black Noir and with paying off the payback crew for decades cause it's difficult to even kill them and people in general know who they are.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think there's a big difference between a show being mean spirited and a show having some characters who are awful, even if the show revels in the violence and the entertainment aspects of it all there's no reasonable interpretation of the show in which Homelander is not a despicable bully and horrible misanthrope. The show is like pretty blatant when it comes to its morality, there's very little ambiguity about who you're actually meant to be rooting for.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Bust Rodd posted:

No, lots of left wing political people use it as shorthand for the less effective and exclusively online parts of their base, it’s literally a term with socio-political connotations that people who aren’t alt right use, and you stamping your foot and insisting otherwise is weird (and reactionary).

The term itself is derived from the pseudo-scientific myth that soy and soy based products contain estrogen (they don't, not that it matters), the term soy boy has always been shorthand for "an effeminate man" with the clear implication that it's a bad thing to be such a man, yeah maybe people who aren't alt-right or don't even consider themselves 'political' use it, but they use in its original meaning with the exact same connotation, even using it to describe Hughie makes the exact same implications.

It's really okay to be wrong sometimes.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Good episode, this season so far is a lot more interesting than the last one.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Show wasn't up on Prime where I'm at either, but when I looked in various sites it was already uploaded so... you gotta get creative if you don't want to wait for Bezos to sort his poo poo out.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Can't see Kimiko dying without that whole singing bit paying off in one way or another.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Homelander was a little freaked out when he saw the explosion, I think it's a little of column A where's an ineffective leader and a blowhard but also something of column B where he knows Soldier Boy never died and also just that a supe that can literally go nuclear (and then walk away from the explosion) is something even homelander isn't going to openly approach until he knows more, he's only fearless when he has nothing to fear.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't think that anything Kimiko and Frenchie had onscreen was more boring than the A-train subplot, at least they're both cute and well meaning characters so you kinda root for them unlike A-train who's really beyond redemption and his whole plot shows what an ineffectual dummy he is, Starlight summed it pretty well in their 20 second corridor conversation but we're still gonna see the whole thing play out.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I never really got the feeling that Homelander is super-intelligent, in the recent episode his claims that he was smarter felt to me like another Trump joke, Homelander sometimes manages to outmaneuver smart people but he usually does it because well, he can pretty much brute force his way out of any problem, very few people are going to bet against Homelander, but he's actually a big dummy, imo.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Homelander has his tinitus zoning out everything else is muffled sound effect going on while watching the video, he's definitely not amused, he's struggling not to lose his poo poo.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's pretty funny this whole thing, idk, there are currently two shows on TV, in fact both on Amazon Prime, that the entire premise is built on the concet of 'Hey, isn't Superman actually a super terrifying thing?' (on a sidenote, this concept itself is explroed in some Superman comics as well, but, yeah), one of them is Invincible which is an animated show so obviously we get superman to do crazy things all the time, the other show being the Boys where we had some shorthand to show that Homelander is on a whole different power level and other than that his power is more of a plot dynamic thing, everyone else is scared of him, every other supe on earth combined can't face up to him, and in my opinion that's enough like, you can't show million dollar supe fights like it's a marvel movie and even if you could we all know how those movies kinda falter in exactly this whole aspect, a very strong humanoid punching another strong humanoid with their strength levels varying minute to minute so that the fight has some dramatic back and forth, it really kinda sucks, we all know we're going to get a similar marvel battle between butcher and homelander but the show is already working on making that particular showdown more satisfying in because Billy basically has to sacrifice everything just to get to the point where there's even a point in him swinging a fist at homelander, the fact that Billy would just stand there knowing that Homelander can vaporize him where he stands is kinda what drives the whole show.

idk I guess what I'm trying to say is that it really doesn't feel like a failure of 'show don't tell' to me, Homelander is as strong as it gets, he can go on a genocide spree killing every human on the planet, I'm ok with that.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think Season 2 has that bit where Homelander is daydreaming about cleaving through a crowd of thousands with his laser eyes, that always seemed enough for me, the guy is a walking genocide machine, beyond the fact that no supe can take him on directly he's a bad day away from just destroying entire cities, the man can topple a skyscraper with ease, probably.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
And let's be honest the actual on screen supe fight at the end of season 2 was probably the cheapest this show has ever felt, it's not like the show is really great at pulling off these super hero battles, it's a good thing that they're conservative with their use of supe action sequences. And hey as long as it's not as ridiculous as it was in Heroes where every cool sequenced happened just off screen I really don't think there's much to complain about, the show really has plenty of cool effects and supe related visuals.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Got to give it to Seth Rogen for his choice of cameos in the show, it was mentioned itt but when I rewatched the episode he says that he worked with one of the chimps Crimson Countess rescued, confirming that it was indeed in-world famous director Seth Rogen who was paying for a jackoff session with the chimp lady, I know it's definitely on brand for Rogen and not really surprising but I still think it was cute.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The nice thing about buffoons in power is that they're not very original, so this week's plot about crime analytics was meant to refer to Trump's purges of White House staff but due to more recent events Homelander firing people for tweeting about him or whatever hit very close to the story about Musk firing SpaceX employees who called him an embarrassment.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Soldier Boy is a reckless piece of poo poo and he's probably killed many many people, we see that in the Nicaragua flashback and we get that from MM's origin story, it is also analogous to the US's involvement in Afghanistan in a sense, it doesn't seem like he'd go out of his way to kill innocent people and the nuclear explosions are indeed seemingly not something he can be morally held accountable for but yeah, he's a bad person, like an even worse version of A-train, he was certainly abusive to his old crew and probably many others, he's just a more casual and apathetic kind of evil, he's not so much psychologically disturbed like Homelander clearly is.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Butcher and Hughie were right, it almost worked, but that's kinda missing the point, Annie is not willing to sacrifice innocent people for these fights, as soon as she learned what was about to go down she was only concerned with getting innovent (or sorta innocent) people away to safety, she's in the 'killing homelander is not worth it if you do the same sort of awful poo poo he does' mindset, and hey, she was right, because while Hughie and Butcher almost got Homelander they very much got a whole bunch of people killed.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Hughie's all arc is about being the collateral victim of powerful people, he talks to a-train and learns that yeah a-train is a piece of poo poo and eventually even a-train understood that hurting innocent people will make you a piece of poo poo and he basically tells hughie all this, then hughie runs into Annie who tells him that they can't treat all the people in the herogasm as collateral damage, Hughie ignores her, a whole bunch of people die.

I don't think Annie is being sanctimonious, she actually saw the bigger picture at those moments, you can't become the very thing you're trying to stop, you can't undo the harm you can only not do it in the first place.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'd like to think that the crumminess of the herogasm is intentional, supes are an analogue to billionaires and others who are rich and powerful and the show is pretty deliberate in depicting these people as always being less glamorous than they'd like others to think they are; the super secret herogasm is pretty gross and has weird fish bestiality going on, it's not hot or luxurious, the normies who are there are only there cause they're getting paid no one wants to hang out with these washed up supes if they don't get something out of it, etc etc.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GreatGreen posted:

All the latest dialogue between Hughie and Annie is frustrating to me because the writers seem to be playing it out like a bad RomCom, where the main antagonist is always Unbelievably Poor Communication.

The audience knows that all these two have to do is tell each other how they really feel, and all of it is reasonable so everyone will understand and be happy. But instead, when one person explains their frustration, the other person, instead of addressing it, just furrows their brow, huffs and puffs, and walks off.

I don't know, it seems to me that there's a genuine moral disagreement between Annie and Hughie, yes we had a bit of the 'no more lies' RomCom ordeal but ultimately that's not what's driving the wedge between them. They can't just 'talk it out', it's not about honesty anymore.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

The Last Call posted:

Am I the only one who believes that Soldier Boy did the same poo poo Homelander is now doing and that's why he was given to the Russians as part of a deal? He appeared to be doing whatever he wanted however he wanted and no one was more powerful than him, so odds are he was exactly like Homelander is going now. Only difference is the people in charge at the time took note and decided to do something about it before he embarrassed the nation, a hero is one thing, a martyred hero is legend and forever. Could be the military was pissed at him for screwing things up and set him up, but betting it's going to be the former. Just another Homelander, hence why his team hated him. Sounds familiar. Wouldn't surprise me if Homelander is his genetic son, if not some aspect of SB in him.

My bet is on Stan Edgar believing that he'll be able to control Homelander and that this will give him the leverage to take over Vought, Soldier Boy is a was a monster not much better than Homelander and everyone hated him and were eager to sell him out but that's just something Edgar took advantage off, from Edgar's perspective Soldier Boy needed to go because he was a grown rear end man with his own agenda and not a hero raised from infancy to be obedient and controllable, and let's not forget Homelander is much more marketable and child friendly than Soldier Boy, Edgar even tells Homelander he's just a bad product, that's how he always viewed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Home lad.