Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I definitely expected some super edgelord poo poo based on what I've heard about the source material but I was pleasantly surprised. Karl Urban is great but Anthony Starr is loving killing it as Homelander.

Show is good. I'm only up to episode 5 but it's the best one so far.

Ep5 stuff: Homelander is going to do something horrible to that cute baby isn't he? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I’m gonna guess they kept all the edgelord poo poo but sanitized most of the government stuff?

They definitely toned the edgelord poo poo way down.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep 8 spoilers: Holy loving laffo A-Train taken out by Fox Die a heart attack. Which makes me wonder why the gently caress they didn't just kill him when Kamiko broke his leg a few episodes earlier.

The ending was great :discourse:. Was that changed from the source material? It definitely feels like it was changed, along with the spoiler I mentioned for episode 8.

Bring on season 2.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 27, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LadyPictureShow posted:

For 'changed from the source material' do you mean Rebecca and Homelander's son being alive?

If so, very yes because in the comics part of Billy's origin story was his wife was raped by HL; he only found out when the superpowered fetus burst out of her stomach and he beat it to death which was peak Ennis.

Yea I meant that. Also :yikes: at the source material.

Ok sounds like it was a good thing the showrunners took the comics as a blueprint and threw away all the bad edgey stuff(which sounds like a lot of it).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Supreme Allah posted:

Am I just a pervert or were they really hinting that Elizabeth Shues character was Homelanders mother? I don't remember if that was in the book, but given his fixation on her lactating, and jealousy of the other baby, they definitely had a mom-son dynamic right?

It was definitely hosed up. I don't think it was hinting at that but her being a mother figure to him was definitely something she exploited to better control and manipulate Homelander.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eat This Glob posted:

sorry for the double post. I just read a review that said season 2 has been picked up and (spoiler for a casting addition for s2) aya cash from the great "you're the worst" is coming on next season. . I'm pretty pumped about that, though I dont know who they will be playing

A quick google search has all the sites saying she's a gender swapped Stormfront :godwin:.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Collateral posted:

So its heavily implied Becca was not raped? That she went from a happy (we haven't been shown otherwise) marriage to loving the company mascot and was only upset because she got pregnant (or was that part of some plan?), which people say is impossible..Somebody said earlier that Translucent had a son though. Re: Black Noir being the clone of Homelander as a fail safe in case Homelander goes crazy seems like the stupidest idea, instead of one all powerful potential world destroyer you have two, who could both be crazy. Was there any justification for this? The gut punch to Butcher by Homelander at the end was supreme. I can see HL telling BB to raise his kid for him just to rub much salt into that particular wound.

Collateral posted:

The only people who have said it was a rape, is Mallory, who basically tells Butcher that is what has happened, shows him some video, and wants to recruit him to her team. And Butcher himself, who believes what Mallory tells him, because his wife was acting strange, not telling him what was wrong, then disappeared. That is it. I say implied because, from what we have been shown, Becca didn't tell Billy it was anything. For all we know she could have been artificially impregnated by Vought for the purposes of raising an anti-Homelander and she got cold feet or something. The video Mallory had could have been fake and Homelander boasting to Butcher at the end could just be to gently caress with Billy's head, which he did with aplomb right at the end there. Becca was looking at Billy the entire scene, not Homelander, or her son.

I think that's how they are going to play it out for s2, especially with what happened in ep8 and how it differs from the source material.

Billy isn't a reliable narrator and Mallory was probably manipulating him. When Billy says that she became a recluse and closed off before disappearing, that would also fit with her learning that holy poo poo I'm pregnant with a super powered baby after cheating on my husband.
If they wanted to foreshadow Homelander being a rapist, they could have kept him sexually assaulting Annie like in the comics instead of just having it be The Deep. In fact, Homelander only shows sexual interest in Stilllwell and their creepy hosed up relationship.
In the finale when Homelander is taunting Billy and trying to rile him up, he seems to think it's because he hosed Becca and that she is missing. It never occurs to him it's because of rape (though Billy does call him rapey santa so :shrug:).

I don't think it was some Vought plan to get her pregnant though. I think it was more that she learned she was pregnant and then Vought and the scientist who raised Homelander decided to give her a new life so she could raise a Homelander who wouldn't be a horrible monster(especially since the scientist realizes and regrets what he did to Homelander and how it made him all hosed up. And Stillwell admits she's always been terrified of him so she would love to have a replacement who isn't a psychopath).

Piell posted:

It felt ambiguous to me, that it could have been either that or just her feeling bad for having cheated with someone

:agreed: There is enough evidence that you can read it either way.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

seaborgium posted:

I thought they made it pretty clear in the show, they've thrown everything at Homelander they can think of and he just shrugs it off. The comics, you needed tank shells/special bullets but he could be hurt. He's a big step above everyone else, but still killable if you tried. The show version seems pretty much totally invulnerable.

They said the same thing about Translucent...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Kripke's doing an AMA on r/television

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kanonvandekempen posted:

In the interview they say they didn't want the Jack from Jupiter character in the Seven because they wanted to keep it grounded, but I'm pretty sure he was just a normal guy who could make his skin impervious (like translucent), him going yellow was a side-effect of that, and that's what made Vought come up with the alien backstory.

I do think it's strange that no one has questioned that all the supes started appearing a few decades ago and only in America and they all work for Vought. What an amazing coincidence. God works in mysterious ways :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

giving the middle eastern guy the super power of suicide bombing was certainly a choice. got a bit of a :chloe: out of me but nobody else has really brought it up so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:actually: There was no suicide at all. :v: You see him walk away from the building unharmed even though he's on fire.

They should have absolutely given him a different power.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Boinks posted:

I'm not trolling, show was too toned down and they didn't spend enough time developing the boys relationships with each other.

How much more rape and slurs are needed before the show becomes "good"?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Did his character die? his face got hosed up pretty bad

He dead

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Literally exactly the same way it worked in the show. If Mesmer can just touch you and know without question what crimes you’ve committed, he could solve thousands of cases in a manner of months.

If they ever suspected he was full of poo poo, they could’ve just given him a polygraph and ask “are you lying about that guy’s criminal record?” but honestly they give supes so much leeway with laws in this universe anyway.

I just have a really hard time imagining anyone with a legitimate superpower not finding a way to make money.

I mean with this logic, why not just give the polygraph to the suspected perpetrator in the first place? :v:

(polygraphs are pseudoscience bullshit)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rubellavator posted:

I liked season 1, I had a couple of theories while I was watching that turned into deadends and some new ones after I finished and read about the differences with the comics.

Im also wondering if it was indeed black noir who raped Becca, just because of how virginal Homelanders experience with Stillerman was.

This wouldn't really make any sense considering Homelander admitted to having sex with her. Then he went and found his kid.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rubellavator posted:

I haven't read the comics but it was my understanding that homelander really thinks that he's the one who is doing all these bad things when it's really black noir. Also, black noir is his clone so the baby looking like him is not surprising.

Yea but iirc in the comics he's not really sure what he has or hasn't done. In the show, he was bragging to Butcher that he hosed his wife. It definitely seems like the show is going in another direction than the comic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In the books it's *implied* that Maeve is "almost his equal" or somesuch.

After Homelander, she's definitely the toughest supe we've seen on the show. Stopped that armored car and didn't even flinch.
Translucent would be next, but :rip:.
Then I guess The Deep since he can swim down to 2 miles and not get crushed by the pressure and Starlight(taking .50 cal shots, getting punched by A-Train and not ending up like Robin).
So really that just leaves A-Train(compound V force I don't gotta explain poo poo?) and Black Noir(Kamiko cut him once or twice with her nails in their fight) as the least durable members of The Seven.

Panfilo posted:

Diverging from the comics in regards to Black Noir opens them up to do a lot more other things for Season 2. Among the possibilities:
-Black Noir is still the 'failsafe' against Homelander, but isn't necessarily a clone, maybe his real superpower is just brain rays that kill Homelander dead or something.

I really want to see this now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

These sure are a lot of hot takes.

-Kamiko is mute(implied to be because of the hosed up compound V experimentation), but she's not a kung fu master. She fights more like a feral animal. She isn't also instantly demure and submissive to "the white guy" unless you count trying to kill him a few times submissive.
-In the comics A-Train was white, but I guess that didn't fit with the hidden agenda of the showrunners so they recast him as a black person :rolleyes:
-Ezekiel being anti gay while himself being gay was more about him being a complete hypocrite and piece of poo poo person, which is why Butcher pointed it out to Hughie. What does Maeve being bisexual have to do with her being damaged? Good job pointing out the gay blackmail on the Oklahoma Senator which was the point. The only male nudity I remember was Translucent in the bathroom and the female nudity was brief during the club scene so :shrug:
-efb with the church take.
-Way to completely miss the point with The Deep

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

So they actually went out of their way to make the only black character be a murderous drug addict who radicalizes a white guy into becoming a terrorist by killing his girlfriend. OK when you put it like that it's actually super cool and woke that A-Train is black.

Aphrodite posted:

Mother's Milk is black.

Also the CEO of Vought International that seems to make even Homelander a little bit wary.

Straight White Shark posted:

I kind of assumed that Maeve was a lesbian forced back into the closet for PR purposes. In that sense it's "dishonest" but that seems like less of a character flaw and more a victim of circumstances.

:same: Probably just another one of the things that Vought did that lead to her becoming jaded and worn down.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

A bus travelling down the sidewalk? I'm not a lawyer but you can definitely argue murder in the second.

She was standing a step onto the road. She was definitely off the sidewalk. Hughie even admits that later on.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Look guys, Bob didn't mean to do six lines of coke and plow his truck into the toddler but it was a genuine accident

Bob shouldn't have been driving after doing all that coke, but the toddler should've stayed off the road :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Aziz did apologize, publicly and privately, multiple times, and even reserves the first few minutes of his new Netflix special to address it, which will be watched for years after anyone remembers that he did those things.

quote:

"There's times I felt scared, there's times I felt humiliated, there's times I felt embarrassed, and ultimately, I just felt terrible that this person felt this way," the comedian says in the opening part of the special. "And after a year or so, I just hope it was a step forward."
:rolleyes:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MizPiz posted:

I can't help but feel there's something important about Homelander and Becca spending three hours loving even though he lasted less than a minute with Stillwell. That being the show's first hint that Black Noir is a Homelander clone would certainly fit the tone.

The show has said that Homelander is functionally invulnerable and nothing that has been used on him has hurt him. Kimiko cut Black Noir with her nails during their encounter.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So the whole time I thought that Vought was secretly turning babies into supes by disguising their magic drug as a polio vaccine stocked in hospitals nationwide. But then it turns out that the parents of supes all know about this and none of them have come forward about the true nature of superpowers because ???. Am I missing something or was this really dumb?

It was very dumb.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BTS look at Black Noir and his powers: https://i.imgur.com/FKfbLrz.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zwabu posted:

How is the success of streaming service shows evaluated? The service obviously knows the exact number of views and by how many different accounts, right? Do they release this information? Do we have an idea how successful The Boys has been, and how well it's done compared to other shows on Prime or other services?

No streaming service releases the info or any real numbers. No one knows what the requirements for cancel / renew are either besides the companies.

The only thing Amazon said was:

quote:

Amazon Prime Video announced today that The Boys has become one of their most binged series of 2019 in just two weeks. More impressively, though, the streaming service also has revealed that The Boys is among their most-watched series ever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Supreme Allah posted:

This is the full round table, and they show the first 3 minutes of episode one at 47:30 (its.. something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ga1vh4LnVI

I can't wait. Also I need to know more about Black Noir

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQMrAN5Xwes

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVHwlqyMyhM

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phobophilia posted:

the writers can make compound v do whatever the gently caress they want its literally blue food coloring in a plastic jar

Except replace Homelander's face with a vial of compound V

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Honestly the only person he seems to be somewhat afraid of is the big boss.

Ya I wonder how that relationship is going to work. I can't wait.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

New s2 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN8fFM1ZdWo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Panfilo posted:

So is Stormfront laser proof? She tells Homelander "Don't be a pussy, laser my tits" but she already had a chest wound so I'm not sure if he's cautererizing an existing wound or she's showing him he can't kill her. Also curious about the telekinesis guy.

Seems like it's the former.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just finished ep 1 but every scene with The Deep is loving hilarious.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep 3: Black Noir crying :(

I wonder who between Homelander and Kimiko will finally kill Stormfront.

I am so glad this show is back and I can't wait for the next episode.

PostNouveau posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think Stormfront is going to be the alt-right to Homelander's fascism. I think she's just comic relief.

Seems like she's just her char from You're The Worst. Until episode 3. :stonklol:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/uCyCg5z.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

boo_radley posted:

I wonder what kind of superhero reveal Stan Edgar is going to have? If you're going to be the CEO of Vought, you're not going to be a filthy normal, right?

I hope not. I just want him to be a regular human who has power over Homelander because of his intelligence and business skills, not because he has a higher power level or whatever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

How? Oops, you started a war in downtown Manhattan that you can't win.

Fifteen minutes later Oops, the President is dead.

24 hours later Long live our new overlords!

You assume that all the supes are on the same level as Homelander and that they are all loyal to Vought.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm pretty sure Homelander could dismantle the upper echelons of the US government if he had 20 minutes. The biggest obstacle to him would be knowing where they were severally located.

Things Homelander cares about :
  • Homelander
  • Money
  • Fame
  • Homelander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quantumfoam posted:

Wait a second. Didn't Butcher shoot Starlight/Annie in the chest with a .50 cal in episode 7, season 1?

Yea he did.

SardonicTyrant posted:

It was probably not a .50 cal rifle, that would've knocked Butcher on his rear end from the recoil each time he fired.

It was a Serbu BFG-50A, which is .50 cal. He uses it to try and kill Translucent too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 5, 2020