Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A shameful OP with not nearly enough stories from the old thread, some greatest hits and some I found by looking at random pages

Frosted Flake posted:

I've heard about some pretty scary ammo screw-ups due to clerical error. Two of them off the top of my head:

Back when the Reserves still had Cougars (armoured vehicles with the low velocity 76mm gun of the Alvis Scorpion) a unit got a pallet of ammunition for the Sherman 76 that was apparently still in the system.

A unit doing practice with the M203 was given a crate of 40mm Bofors instead of grenades. Apparently some private almost manage to jam a shell into the launcher before someone freaked out and bootfucked him.

Vasudus posted:

I've told this story a bunch of times before, but it's a classic. We had a Regimental Birthday Officer in Iraq. What had happened was a brand-gently caress-new 2LT that arrived about six days before main body deployment to one of the scout platoons. Lost his nods before we left Kuwait. Not misplaced, not had taken, lost. We weren't in country for more than a week and he lost his weapon. His brand new M4 with ACOG and PEQ2. Lost, as in lost for good.

So naturally he gets yanked immediately and thrown deep into BDE staff. He fucks up in RS2, then RS3, then RS4 and gets placed as the RBO, Regimental Birthday Officer. Turns out that this dude was a fine arts major and had a real talent for painting, drawing and other related things. So he would send these beautiful, hand made birthday cards to people. Due to the fact we had 6000 people in our brigade, not everyone got one. We thought it was all a big loving joke until we saw the cards ourselves. I don't think I have mine anymore

Cenen's Med trainee weekend of hell:
pt 1

pt 2

Bird Cooch - Ballad of Dirty Joe
pt 1

pt 2

Lt Mike, some war criminals and a body cast (Lead Out In Cuffs)

The Slithery D's tragic but so incredibly stupid it's kind of funny anyway story of the Kiowa Pilot's pistol

Don't worry, I've taken care of it (N4I)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

My Great-grandfather spent the armistice in a hospital with a court-marshal pending for bullying a guards officer at leicester square tube station. He was acquitted a week or two later.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

joat mon posted:

Platoon leader and Company commander in two different infantry divisions, though I suppose they could have been H&S units. I don't think he saw any combat, though.

His record is here though I can't read half the militarese:

https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united-states-of-america-10/dave-grossmans-military-file-35246/#file-155927

I guess the lack of a combat badge means he was never involved in any of those 1980s adventurisms in south america?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

One thing I don't think has been mentioned yet is the lack of standards for cops. Some basic behaviours are expected from all soldiers. And then, if a soldier has been on a particular course, you have a reasonable idea of what they've been trained on, and what standard you'd expect them to perform to, and what the highest echelons expected when they developed the course. By contrast, US police forces are parochial as gently caress with very uneven initial training. The ones that allow brutality routinely normalize the behaviour for the other ones and there's no one up top to say that this police force is performing worse than the others and needs to be brought up to scratch.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

One Cali wildfire was confirmed to be caused by a gender reveal party:

https://twitter.com/CAL_FIRE/status/1302806883409903617

And if you're thinking HEY THIS SOUNDS FAMILIAR, you're right!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/27/us/arizona-gender-reveal-party-sawmill-wildfire-trnd/index.html

This post reminded me of a guy. We were in a contact drill and a smoke genny caused a grass fire. He heard the call FIRE FIRE FIRE and interpreted it to mean "keep firing my rifle", which he did until the enemy party jumped out of their positions and ran past him to help the rest of us put the fire out.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 7, 2020

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

tuyop posted:

75l pack, 35 pounds dry and no camping stove? Hahaha

Muerte posted:

I've survived until the age of 26 and I've never cooked a single thing on a stove, actually I have cooked macaroni before. Stop acting like a dipshit. I can pick up a stove at any point if I decide I want one.

Looking back, the whole self induced forced march without increasing his calorific intake (and maybe even reducing it) is the biggest death march aspect of it, but also what stopped him from getting far enough to really get himself in trouble.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

movax posted:

I kept thinking it was the end and it just kept going and getting better. Holy poo poo this is awesome.
I see no reason not to use this to move between ranges on my next pistol WQ

Grem posted:

That dude is going to put a round right through his hand doing that.

Do ranges get pissed off with guys like that putting holes in their walls and roof all the time?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

And one lesson ahead of the people you're teaching.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Everything I've heard about the rust shooting just makes it seem more and more like they hired some firearms consultant that is pretty much the guys we mock in these threads for putting holes in range buildings and hanging out of car doors while shooting.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

If someone doesnt show up to work and nobody notices, thats a grey man.

Not this operator bullshit

That's how it's used in the NZ Army. The guy whose every exercise report reads "Showed good speed, aggression and communication in the assault" because every section leader he's had is like "I'm one dude short for reports but I can't picture anyone else being in my squad"

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

I never understood the weird, I don't want to say reverence but the whatever the gently caress enlisted folks have for flag officers. Like bro they're just upper management they're just people that stayed at on job a long time what is so hard to understand about this

Re: docs I know a FGO physician ARMY side and his stories from Afghanistan and Iraq are just a cavalcade of disregard for the Geneva convention from all sides. They're one of those weirdo don't ask anything of your troops you won't do alongside them officers, though, which maybe isn't the best use of Uncle Sam's medical asset when you're a physician in an infantry BN

If you're at the bottom of the tree you just always, always have to be careful around senior officers. Like not only can you get yourself in trouble, but real simple stuff get get other in trouble.

A while back, I very senior guy was chatting to us and asked us how our communications were. Usually I'd say something like 'Could be better, but they good job at filtering out the bullshit'. However, if I'd said it to this guy, he'd have leapt into action and suddenly every private would be getting every change to coffee cup policy and regular force augmentation opportunity making GBS threads up their personal inbox.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A lot of the time it's just an opportunity to get some time on the tools and check out one of your field units rolled into one.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Fun fact: William Lambton, the instigator of the Great Trigonometrical survey of India, was blind in one eye because he attempted to take sun shots without a darkened lens.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Or a failed 1970s compact car

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

They probably set their initial offer absurdly high and cunningly dropped their bargaining position.

"We'll give him back for a truck full of baking"

"A tray of fresh scones and a crate of milk? Give us a catcher full of grass clippings for the horse and you got yourself a deal!"

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Also, I had to watch a video on war thunder in a comsec briefing a while back. About a third of the class gave a laugh of recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

AFAICT, the only things truly selected for in officers as opposed to enlisted are ambition and basic arithmetic. Courage, intelligence, integrity and the rest? It's maybe statistically a little better, but still the same lottery as any other soldier you might meet.