Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Mode 7 posted:

I remember playing what I think was a tech demo, but I don't remember what graphics card it was for - you were a dolphin swimming underwater with other dolphins, and could get a burst of speed temporarily as you swam around. If you swam upwards to the surface of the water, you'd leap into the air and transform into a bird and then fly around as a bird. If you dove into the water as the bird, you'd transform back into a dolphin.

It blew my mind at the time - I think this was circa '98 or '99? - and I'd love to see/play it again but I don't remember what the card was or what the tech demo was called.

This is probably completely useless to you, but that's the exact premise of the 1983 game Fathom that was available on the Texas instruments TI994/A, Atari 2600 and Colecovision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb4q4TZIOmY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

CheeseThief posted:

Robert Sheckley's Status Civilization:

Sci fi novel set on a prison planet, new prisoners start as peons and become free citizens by earning it. The main character becomes one right away by killing a man of higher rank in self defense. The planet is strange and hostile, for example they have a church that worships evil.

Anyway the main character eventually sneaks back to earth and relearns his past, he was wrongly imprisoned because he witnessed a murder and all earth citizens are brainwashed into confessing any crimes they commit. His brain washing kicked in when he saw the murder and made him turn himself in.

The copy of the book I had ends with the main character standing in front of a broken mirror having overcome his brain washing, then it just ends. I'd swear there were pages missing, another chapter that wasn't there or something.

If anyone has read this book just tell me the ending, did it stop there or was there more? It feels weird that it never resolved anything but the brain washing.

Great to see someone mention Robert Sheckley! He was one of my favorite writers when I first started reading books in English as a teen. My dad had all these American sci-fi paperbacks that he had collected when he was young.

I have the book, but it was probably 25 years since I read it.

Checked the last page, and it is indeed the guy smashing a mirror. One reason that you could have thought there was more is that a common edition also has the novel Mindswap.

This is what my copy looks like:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I listened to this tape a lot when I was a kid. It's a demo tape that came with a 1970s Panasonic tape deck. It was an instrumental version of Ob-la-di, ob-la-da in sort a big band lounge arrangement with horns.

Found this image on discogs, but I like to know if the sound is preserved somewhere.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

^^^^^

The illustration is in style of Stewart Cowley. He wrote and illustrated a couple of books in the 1980s.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Slore Tactician posted:

I’m looking for the recording of 700 hobo names. You know the one.

Jonathan Coulton ft. John Hodgman. I remember it from some NPR podcast.

Link to song here:

https://wiki.jonathancoulton.com/Big_Rock_Candy_Mountain

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Hell Yeah posted:

the weed that smells like a dead skunk on the side of the road when you're driving up north to go camping with your mom and dad.

Skunk cabbage, Lysochiton spp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_cabbage

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

And it stars Deborah Harry :allears:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

And the award for ’Most subtle goatse’ goes to...

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Julius CSAR posted:

I am looking for several pieces of artwork that are part of a series and appeared in one of my language arts textbooks in the mid-late 90’s.

It was a series of paintings of the exact same part of a town in middle America, and each painting was from the exact same perspective and but from a different time period showing the town’s growth from a small village town square to dirty 1970s metropolis and then a gentrified 90s modern city. It wasn’t one specific place and each building, billboard, store front etc were taken from actual places then combined together to create a generic American town/city. The view was from up high, and off to the side, like from the top of a building on the corner of the square. It was super interesting and the paintings were wildly detailed. I remember the text book having a lot of art like that. In fact the reason I started thinking about this is because of another painting that may or may not have been in the book, which I discovered last night, James Doolin’s “Highway Patrol” which may be the impetus for my love of cyberpunk looking cities.

I don't know the title of the book, but I read it when I was a kid in the early-mid 1980s, so it's earlier than you thought. It starts out with a crossroads and a small farmhouse, then a village with a gas station (?), a town, then a big city with skyscrapers and pollution. I don't think the book had any text at all, and it was in a large format with each illustation taking up an entire spread.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

some old indie japanese shoot em up. low res graphics with a lot of simple geometric shapes, including pickups, and a fairly monochrome light blue/white color palette. hard to describe what it looked like but it's fairly clear in my head

Tumiki fighters?

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/tf_e.html

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

this sounds like a false memory/dream I had/fetish thing but I swear to christ I remember seeing this and want to prove it to myself. I think I saw it linked from SA.
does anybody remember a music video floating around a good few years back:
I.
- on vimeo because it was too "hot" for youtube
- two swedish white girls
- rap song??? had some singing. can't remember but I think they rapped too, it was in english
- seemed to have a budget
II.
- was about taking a poo poo and then rolling the poo poo into a joint and then smoking it, fully literal with no metaphor or poetic language - a line of the lyrics end-rhymed with the word "feces"
- did not appear to be a joke in any meaningful way, though thinking back this really puzzles me
- the singers appeared at least topless if not naked in the video, which was almost unwatchably gross/literal (making out while liquid poo poo/nesquik poured on them etc.)

Ganja Poo Poo by the Cupid Kidz

I am so sorry

:nws::metis::sonia::sweden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsxarkI-3XQ

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

An old animated video of I think a baby on a skateboard and some weird animal or something racing on a downhill road.

Ultimate Muscle Roller Legend?

https://youtu.be/nk2wViKSh_M

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Glo Worms from Hasbro?

Wiki says the cartoon was called Glo Friends.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glo_Worm

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Yoshi Jjang posted:

This is going to be a long shot, but here goes nothing.

In the early 2000s, my history teacher either shared single-panel comics, or maybe they appeared in some kind of textbook, but they depicted cartoony dachshunds in historical settings (like wearing Roman soldier gear or whatever). They have a distinct style to them that I can recognize when I see it, but I honestly don't know how to explain it, and I can't draw them from memory.

The only thing I've got going for it is that there's a drawing I made in high school of these dachshunds, except I can't even find that drawing at the moment.

Gary Larson's Far Side collection Wiener Dog Art has a bunch of these

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

No help at all, but the REM song Man on the Moon is about someone untangling a phone cord and not believing this poo poo.

Also about craving black eyed peas and instant coffee. In conclusion, I'll have the vegeburger combo with sweet potato fries and a root beer.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

You can play dvds from all regions through VLC, even if they player is region locked.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I found a hurried note in my writing from a space conference a few years ago, instructing me to look up a PhD thesis from the University of Uppsala that had some reference to Homer Simpson in the title (or a picture of Homer Simpson on the cover, but I don't think that's normal for a thesis). I do not know why, I think it's somehow space-related, and I didn't see it in the uni directory. What the gently caress was I talking about?

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Also still after the comics and the finnish homer simpson thesis in case anyone didn't see those asks

Uppsala is in Sweden, not finland. Made some searches in the thesis database, but no hits.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

von Braun posted:

Anyone know of PC game from the Win 98-era. It was FPS or 3rd person shooter with like water guns and water balloons? I think it was some kind of arena shooter. It was from what I remember quite colorful.

Nerf Arena Blast?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerf_Arena_Blast

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Wudz posted:

Second is a flash video, probably from around 2005-2009. All I really remember about it was that it music video for a non-english song, and at one point there's a character with a horse skull (basically this) who fades in while a synthesized voice sings "yoi yoi yoiiiiiiiiiiiii".

sada_end.swf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4hd6YKFTzQ

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I'm looking for a children's book from the 60's or 70's. It was about a young boy who went grocery shopping with his mother but got split up. He wanders around lost, and eventually finds another child (I believe a black boy?) who is also separated from his parents. They have misadventure, including building a hidden fortress out of canned goods. I think I remember in one of the illustrations, there is a signboard advertising a product: “DOOF: It’s ‘Food’ backwards!”.

It's not "Lost in the Supermarket" by Ladybird books, or "Lost in the Supermarket" by Christine Richmond. Any help is appreciated!

I checked my Swedish translation of "Land of Lost Things" by Mort Walker and Dik Browne. A childrens' book by the creators of Beetle Bailey and Hagar the Horrible among other comic strips from 1972.

Got none of your plot point's though, so you can add it to the list of books it's not. :/

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Lpzie posted:

if i had a CD or floppy disk in the mid 90s full of DOS games that were lovely like a temple puzzle game or one set in Rome, what was it or whatever. and where did i get it....

Good luck digging through the Shovelware archives!

http://cd.textfiles.com/directory.html

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The part with the sleeping guy reciting poetry for beatniks sounds very much like something Sam Hendersson would write. The other parts, less so.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Hey, I got another one. I’m trying to remember this series of ‘video art’ that from the mid nineties.

Something by Sadie Benning?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadie_Benning

Looked up the Fisher-Price camcorder on wikipedia, and looked through ”Productions” for matches. It shot bw video on regular audio cassettes.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I am looking for an (edited?) old comic book cover

where uh, like a dude is married to another woman now and his girlfriend is sad about it

and he's saying something like "sometimes these things just happen and we have no control over them!"

Something in this makes me think of a Roy Lichtenstein painting, but I can't find it on GIS.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Dave Syndrome posted:

There was a show on German TV in the mid-70s named Die Yxilon-Show.

Here are the end credits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8BFCaO0usM

Strong Candle Cove vibes!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Try https://www.elephant.se/

I worked at a Natural history museum, and we received a donation from a deceased veterinarian. He had an elephant femur marked with a name, and I was able to find that it came from an elephant in a Stockholm zoo that got sick and was euthanized in the 1960s.

e: this was the one
https://www.elephant.se/database2.php?elephant_id=60

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 7, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

It’s not, but looks similar to Fort Boyard, a French 19th century on the Atlantic coast. Maybe that’s completely useless information.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

for a while this was kind of a meme in YOSPOS. a series of youtube videos made in 3DSMax or something like that with human figures in T-poses and animals with bad textures and lighting. the soundtrack was computer generated opera singing and there was also a connection to some kind of kink subculture, like World of Gor or furries.

they had a really trippy outsider art vibe to them. anyone remeber this?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Yeah, that's the person I was thinking of, but as Deep Glove Bruno said, it was a lot cruder.

Looks like they took down their old account or deleted the ancient stuff.

This is from the same account. Warning for, I don't know exactly, curse maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eRBQt51VlA

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

You can ride on at the Gröna Lund amusement park in Stockholm. It's at the entrance to the Fun House, the oldest ride in the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn10aErrE7M

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

a mini webcomic of link running into a house, smashing up everything, plundering the rupees, and leaving the owner behind looking sad as he views the broken remnants of his home.
link had a very very focussed/stressed look onhis face, biting his lower lip i think.

this?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Wow! I made my post about this in 2019, and you found it now. This really made my day :sun:

Thanks again, it's groovy!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

If you would happen to be Swedish I have a memory of this happening in the 1994 Pillertrillaren, they play paintball in the forest on what's probably a corporate getaway and one guy replaces his paint ammo with (I think) ice rounds to try to murder the main character.

Someone actually watched Pillertrillaren? :wth:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

One time in the early 1990's my Catholic-to-Falwell grandparents told me, "we had no idea Liberace was gay."
I did not know who Liberace was.
I do not believe a single word of that sentence at age 36.

Liberace won a lawsuit against UK tabloid Daily Mirror where they called him ’fruit-flavoured’ in a gossip column.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberace_v_Daily_Mirror

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Test the mp3 with Musicbrainz Picard and maybe you will find out the name of the piece.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

Mio in the Land of Faraway? Christopher Lee plays the villain Kato

Brought to you by the author of Pippi Longstocking :sweden:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Fors Yard posted:

Thank you! I loved the Haunted House book/game he made and I don't think I would have ever guessed it was the same artist. This style is so much more minimal and clean than the Haunted House.

The real reason was I had this memory of a green sea creature/octopus with tentacles coming out of the water and thought it maybe was from this same book and sure enough:

Just quoting this because the Haunted House book was my favorite book as a kid. Still have it, even if it's a little worn and all the mechanisms doesn't work anymore. Love the art!

Then I learned that he was behind Meg, Mog and Owl, which was appropriated into something completely different and gross and hilarious by a weirdo Australian comic artists.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Trent posted:

What the hell is the name of this scary-horror-themed tune I hear in so many videos? Here is an example I found today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScfLdnqx8M
Google is not being very helpful

Sounds like whale song.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Sekenr posted:

Pls help me find an ancient thread when a goon decided to move to Sweden and asked for input on how is life there. Swedgoons and others starting posting made up "facts" about Sweden with gradually increasing absurdity while it took way too long for OP to catch up.

I started the desinformation campaign in that thread and coordinated with the other Swede goons in the lf Scandinavia thread. They are both gone and I can't find them in search. There were lots of references to rapper Mange Schmidt as royal poet, or poet laureate. That and State issue razor blades.

I think the thread was in A/T in 2009 or 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I just watched a Youtube about 'Like the Wind' aka 'The Most Mysterious Song on the Internet'. It's a post punk/new wave song, pretty catchy too. it looks like it was played on German radio exactly once, probably in 1984. A teenager recorded the song, along with other current hits on a cassette tape.

Reddit has been looking for the band or person behind the song since 2019, and haven't gotten far. Greek band Statues in Motion tried to take credit for it, but has exactly nothing to back up their claim. Viennese singer Christian Brandl and drummer Ronnie Urini have also tried to claim the song, but got nothing except typewritten lyrics of an unknown German version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBEoZ1heH-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbnUtf7rdW4