Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've got a vague childhood memory of a papercraft book that had templates for sets with moving parts. One was a thing like a multi-tiered birthday cake (it may have been one) with a mouthpiece at the bottom to blow in and make something happen. Another was something like a lawnmower, maybe a tank, in any case it would have had moving wheels and potentially a mechanism connected to them.

Its most distinctive design feature was that it had these stylized jackal figures on every set. They were explicitly called out as jackals. This may have been part of an overarching Egyptian theme but I don't specifically recall that. I strongly associate it with a grey, clean-cut look.

Probably from the 80s, absolutely no later than mid-90s and even that's playing it safe.

Spooner's Moving Animals, or the Zoo of Tranquility by Paul Spooner. Out of print, but Amazon.de lists a few sellers (at steep prices).

e: whaddayouknow, it was right there in my bookcase (the German version from zweitausendeins). I could post some pictures later when I have time.

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's the one! Thanks a ton!

Boy, looking at Google images, I simultaneously remembered that very accurately and put way too much stock in the jackals. Way different general design from what I remember, too. Would love some pictures, if you have the time.

Jackals are kind of Spooner’s thing.

e: As promised, here are a few images showing the style of the book and the automatons.

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 12, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The other is a two-player card game from the 1970s: it let you play WWI dogfights against each other. Each of you had a hand of cards. You both chose a move, and the combination of your moves led to two new cards that showed your current orientation relative to each other. It was such a brilliant piece of design. I *think* each card showed your plane from your point-of-view, but it might have shown both planes.

2nd result from googling "dogfight card game"?

e: no, that says 2013

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Teketeketeketeke posted:

2.Art by Barbara Remington

That's the infamous cover art of the authorized US paperback edition of The Hobbit.

J.R.R.Tolkien posted:

I think the cover ugly; but I recognize that a main object of a paperback cover is to attract purchasers, and I suppose that you are better judges of what is attractive in USA than I am. I therefore will not enter into a debate about taste – (meaning though I did not say so: horrible colours and foul lettering) – but I must ask this about the vignette: what has it got to do with the story? Where is this place? Why a lion and emus? And what is the thing in the foreground with pink bulbs? I do not understand how anybody who had read the tale (I hope you are one) could think such a picture would please the author.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This one is from the late '70s, I think? There was a Japanese software initiative called the Fifth Generation. The idea was to move on from standard programming languages (OO being the "fourth generation") to "logic programming" where the programmer would write out logic clauses and the processing system would do the work of implementing it. Western software people were worried (because this was the OMG JAPAN IS WINNING period) and were certain that the ordered and methodical Japanese would come to dominate software as they had come to dominate [your technology here].

Anyway, a coworker of mine had a wall poster of American engineers forming a crazy human pyramid demonstrating that they weren't prepared to compete against Japanese orderliness. The poster was the blown-up version of a magazine cover. I thought it was either from Chronicles of the ACM or Computerworld, but I can't find it in either of their archives.

Does anybody recognize what I'm talking about?

Might be the September 1983 issue of Communications, the thumbnail is a bit too small to see clearly.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

No, it was a female cartoonist. She had another autobiographical one where she panicked about the size of her butt because Robert Crumb complimented her

Oooof.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

fritz posted:

I'll produce more lists.

For the love of God don't. I already found at least four books that I own and a couple more that I’ve read, and I'll feel compelled to keep looking.
Is this what OCD feels like?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

Sounds like they “sampled” Heinlen’s The Puppet Masters, along with hundreds of writers and radio/tv shows since then. Heinlen’s take was original, and I would love to a version with modern tech (as well as Starship Troopers with actual Mobile Infantry armor on the level of Iron Man’s CGI) because I think the idea is neat! Also, heading out to Jupiter’s moons to exterminate the PM at the source has a lot of potential for a sequel.

The Tom Cruise version is not that bad as an adaptation, and it would be quite hard to convey the sense of horror you get from the original when the first-person protagonist gets taken over and, from one sentence to the next, starts narrating events from the enemies' point of view.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Time_pants posted:

There was a picture I saw a long time ago of what looked like a giant piece of heavy machinery or construction equipment with what appeared to be a massive circular saw at the end of a long arm poised like it would be used to tear into the landscape. The way the picture was shot made it look way more massive than it actually was and the "saw" was, if I remember correctly, a wheel with a bunch of shovels or buckets on it (think the blade on a bulldozer or an excavator's shovel).

I remember that it was somewhat commonly shared online and then later in clickbaity articles about the real story behind popular pictures from the internet. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh1g74vs9cY

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Okay I got one for you guys...

I'm looking for something VERY similar to Beyond the Mind's Eye. When I first started looking for this video, I came across Beyond the Mind's Eye, and was originally sure it had to be part of the series, but the more of it I watched, I was never able to find the any Beyond the Mind's Eye that was what I was looking for.

And in retrospect, the video I am looking for differs slightly in that Beyond the Mind's Eye seems much more created for the purpose of art. Whereas the video I'm looking for seemed like it was created more as a tech demo of computer graphics.

This VHS video would have been from the late 1980's-early 1990's. My dad had this video and was an architect at the time. He would have been using computer programs like AutoCAD, so its reasonable to assume he was given this video as part of a tech demo at work or something.

It wasn't feature length, and was probably 20-45 minutes long on VHS. All the different computer animated segments were set to synthy music. Some of the ones I remember are a skeleton playing the drums to a rock song. There was something that looked like a demo of laser eye surgery. And something about a butterfly.

Any ideas?

Here's Beyond the Mind's Eye for reference. But As I said I haven't seen any of those segments from any of these videos up on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHllSEYSYcU

Maybe one of these…
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3gxQH1a6smDkDqB7tNAhPthilsjl_rjX

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Sherbert Hoover posted:

2) A paintball place in a forest where someone is using live rounds and they have to be stopped.

There's something like this in Good Omens, but (a) everybody is using live rounds and (b) I don't remember if that bit was in the miniseries.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh man, I read a great essay about the curta, that would be a really cool thing to own.

It's basically insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loI1Kwed8Pk

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

I brought my Drake posted:

When I was growing up, my family's Tandy 2000 computer had two directories of BASIC computer games. Is there a curated archive of BASIC games somewhere online? These were games from back in the '80s (and maybe some from the late '70s?) And I think the most programming intense one would have been the golf one. It was stuff like hangman, frogger, etc.

The Creative Computing collections are in several archives, here's one:
https://www.atariarchives.org/basicgames
https://www.atariarchives.org/morebasicgames/

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

Brought to you by the author of Pippi Longstocking The Brothers Lionheart :black101: :sweden:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Outpost22 posted:

Cross posting from the help identify a song thread, hopefully someone here can identify this tune:

Could it be this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS2mfeo-Ues

e: Or the original tune this was based on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRhprJV--uU

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 3, 2023

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

A Zucker bros movie or similar where someone opens a car door and a flood of something like beer cans or trash comes out forming a comical pile that they have to step through to get out.

Leningrad Cowboys Go America?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTArt_oH7E8&t=30s

e: pasted the wrong link

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 10, 2023

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Vlogbrothers put out a Youtube video arguing that this solar eclipse was more dangerous than usual because you usually have to travel hours and hours out to the middle of nowhere to get the chance to see an eclipse but this time the totality path crosses through some highly populated areas so there's likely to be a lot more injuries than usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

ZombieCrew posted:

This was most of my grandmas recipes. I also had to translate them from german to english and wonder why she used dekagrams through out. Is that common in the metric world? I thought most just used grams or kilograms. She also contributed to a small local cookbook Womans Club of the Danube Swabian Society of Chicago. Recipes in there range from "combine these ten cans and bake" to excellent christmas cookies and meals. There is also the occassional list of ingredients and no instructions.

I think dekagrams were commonly used in Austria (and possibly parts of southern Germany). I've never seen them in my mother’s various cookbooks (some of which I inherited).