Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

Well this got lost in the depression shuffle of the last thread,
But I'm super loving happy about it so uts getting reposted

Congrats dude, that’s terrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

shy boy from chess club posted:

Or a little skunk-sized sweater for her in the winter which would be totally adorable.

Some good news to offset sad chat is that I'm down to 185lbs from 224 from the last time I went to the doctor in the spring. Last year after losing my friend I was up to 244 since I didn't care about anything until I finally got help. My bp was something like 140/95 with debilitating depression and my doctor is awesome and helped with both those things.

At the spring appointment he wanted me to lose 10lbs before my next one in September and by then I should be down to 180 which would be 44. I've also been going out and doing fun things with new people which helps a lot to not feel like a fat sad sack. I still miss my friend immensely and have occasional bouts of depression but it's just about a 180 from a year ago. Sucks I missed the AI fitness thread cause the 64lbs less of me has been a huge difference.

That's the best news yet in a thread of good news, nice job man and keep it up. :)

What are you finding is working for you to manage calories?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Ripoff posted:

Holy poo poo, I’m glad your family and pets were okay. Cars and bikes can be replaced, family members can’t. :(

Shame about your Dad’s gorgeous old cars. I won’t pretend to know what the wood-paneled beauty is, but I hope it can be restored.

Also yeah the more I’m thinking about it, the more it seems they want you to sign that you’re not selling parts off of the cars before signing them over, because they may intend to sell the BMW motor to the junkyard. :shrug: I’d imagine with rarer machines with particularly desirable motors that parting the car out can net you a pretty penny, and the insurance company wants that to offset their expenses. Who knows, though, still seems like they should be able to easily quote you a “you keep it and scrap it” payout and a “we take it all” payout.

I thought about whether anything from my Mercedes was salvageable for about 5 seconds and then decided welp Copart feel free to come pick this up, have at it.

I’m going to go pull the plate off of it though.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

Gotta keep one of those wheels as a coffee table base or something no??

They're these so that's not a bad idea. Someone or someones have been going through what little poo poo is identifiable in that garage as of late so maybe they just disappeared, who the gently caress knows. My impact gun and breaker bars were in the garage though so I am somewhat ineffective in this pursuit at the moment.

PS, gently caress you looters

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Wait hold on here; your charred remnants are getting actually legit looted? What/where the hell is this? :berninator:

(lol at that emoticon btw)

I can smell that burnt garage smell from here man, sorry

I was over there a number of times this week, and each time I go more cabinets are open, there's more debris shifted around, and the fire investigator and insurance adjusters say it isn't them. I took this today:

This is in a nice area too... Tough to say if it's kids (house is slightly off the beaten path - very little foot traffic) or opportunist thieves or what. PS the fire investigator hasn't even released the scene (of the garage) yet, and we're nearly 6 weeks on from the fire now. We did select a remediation contractor this week though so I expect things to start happening next week inside the house even if the garage isn't ready for demo yet.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

Yeah don't do any of this until you have their offer. I've never had them take the car or title/keys until after we've negotiated the value.

And one of those totals was with AAA. They were pretty easy to deal with TBH, but they absolutely hit me with the "we don't want your business" rate at renewal time ($100/mo to $350/mo). IIRC they sent me the check before I sent the title and keys, but I'm not 100% on that (it was 10 years ago).

I just recently signed a power of attorney release for the Mercedes before I got the check for it (which btw per my earlier comments on this, I decided to punt and take their offer.)

Technically they offered over KBB Good value + tax that I paid on the car, I wasn't going to go down a rathole arguing over the AMS stuff that I more or less got for free with the car anyway.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

big dong wanter posted:

put a deposit on a ve commodore ss 6mt, anyone know of a good shifter because the stock one is hot garbage?

Congrats on the car - re: shifter, isn’t it a TR-6060? I had a manual G8 GXP and it wasn’t a bad shifter at all.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah nah, they gonna put whatever the cheapest piss they can find for it

Confirmed, the gas the dealer dumped into mine for the first tank was almost assuredly 85 (our regular here in CO) and now on the 3rd tank of 91 (our premium, welp) plus now on a modest tune, I can finally rotate the BFGs from a stop on dry pavement with traction control off in Sport mode.

Probably going to try an E50 tune next once this one is dialed in, but with all that said, I bet many idiots are currently in the process of ruining their Raptors and Limiteds with poo poo gas.

Kazinsal posted:

Okay I get it people are stupid and ping ping knock ping what's that sound must be the BOOST I paid for knock knock ping

The cabin of my truck is far too insulated to transmit pinging to the driver, plus Ford lies to you and pumps fake engine noise through the speakers because they’re evil.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

Fake engine noise through speakers? What?

opengl128 posted:

Oh sweet summer child

Edit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ew2UzsbWTk

It’s a feeble attempt to mask the fact that Ecoboosts sound like canned rear end.

I think Ford’s implementation is different - they’re doing noise cancelling on undesirable frequencies and amplifying other sounds using the interior mics and the stereo system?

Tremek fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 5, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Trying to find a music video. I think it was an Irish band but the video is a pov drunk walk home I remember him pissing all over a toilet at one point.

Smack my Bitch Up, by The Prodigy?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Life is weird. Still miss the newfie, but my wife stumbled into what seems like a good thing, and I didn't say no, so:

5 month old French bulldog with papers. Lady who had him couldn't keep him due to surgery. He's pretty adorbs. When we first got married my wife and I had both an American bulldog and an English bulldog, so I guess we have something of an affinity for the bully breeds.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

KillHour posted:

That came on when I was driving and wouldn't go off. It went away when I left it off for 10 minutes. Hopefully, it doesn't come back.

This gave me a chuckle.

PS I'm jelly of your undoubtedly beautiful car, post an exterior pic plz.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Yesss. Henrik Fisker knew what was up. I'd put up with a lot of bullshit to roll around in that. Demuro the poo poo out of what I hope is a bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Also lol leaving the rear quarter glass raised with the roof and door glass lowered is very triggering to me pls fix this!!!!

Lol at making presumptive statements suggesting the electrical system is, in fact, operable and capable of lowering said window

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

Give him a break, he used to be an Aston mechanic... and now he works on Italian cars. His perception of a quality electrical system is probably massively skewed. :v:

Cultural relativism is a scourge upon this Earf, pal

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Is that the 2.7L? My 3.5EB gets around 15 with my heavy foot. Oops.

I think I’m averaging about 13mpg. gently caress it, YOLO, etc

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

IN MY DEFENSE she's the one who asked me to cut her off from the outside world. And by the time she gets home, I'll be sound asleep. :haw: She's really gonna love it when she realizes the :420: is also hidden.

I write this with the best of intentions but this is weird codependent enablement behavior and it’s not good for you or her. Are you seeing a therapist? Gotta arm yourself with some better answers to weird SO poo poo.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I don't think the cause was ever determined, and he had a penchant for the call of the void.

If it sates any latent curiosity, he admitted to me near the end of his stay that he had deliberately set it on fire.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Update:
I figured out how to get worse mileage.

:airquote: Sport Mode :airquote:

drat son, are you hypermiling that thing or what? Push the long pedal on the right:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I have seen some really dumb things happen with titles post-sale.

One guy I sold an awful old BMW to earlier this year clearly has not titled or licensed it yet as I keep getting tag renewal notices from the DMV. Lesson there, file the Release of Liability form every time you sell a car.

Years ago my wife’s Cayenne ended up totaled and so the car was paid off, settlements happened, and long after I thought it was over and done with (probably 1.5 years later?) I got a pseudo-legalese letter in the mail from whomever had bought the car at auction, fixed it up, and was now attempting to strong-arm me for the title. I called my insurance, explained the situation, and they issued a nastygram to the new owner (somewhere back east - maybe Pennsylvania?) who was clearly trying to wash the title to prevent it from having a salvage title. Never heard more on that thankfully.

Crotch Fruit: if you no longer own the car, it’s no longer your problem - in no particular order make your insurance, the DMV, and the dealership you traded that car to aware that it’s not in any way shape or form your problem and let them sort it out.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Congrats CT!

To bring August back down, #4 is here and doing well. Now, to call that Urologist...

(I swear the name Finnegan is not inspired from YT’er of roadkill fame. Just an amusing coincidence)

Congrats dude, hope all y’all are doing well and maybe even home from the hospital already.

Also yes, go get snipped.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

I don't mind having to hunt for good music, makes you feel cool when you find it. The market for music is massive, a band can put out a couple fantastic albums and never make the radio, but that's what spotify and other music servers are for.

I find most bands I listen to through random youtube views, "related views", "customers who bought this also bought..." on amazon, and recommendations of friends. I'm enjoying the synthwave resurgence due to someone posting gunship in this here forum last year. And I really enjoy hearing someone great in the background of a TV show or movie and finding out that all of their songs are great.

Once you get over the terror of them not having any reflexes or judgment and teach it to them, it's pretty fun. My daughter has passed the year and is over 60 hours now, and is ready for her test. When we drive at this point I just nitpick about cutting too close to the edge of a lane and letting off the gas when she changes lanes. She was really nervous at first but her confidence skyrocketed after about the 30 hour mark. I think the hardest part is learning to really communicate, yelling WHOA WHOA WHOA doesn't alert them to what you are reacting to in any useful way, but that's how I reflexively do it, took a lot of work to be truly communicative in a panic situation.

Also there are guides for parents that remind you what is most important to teach first, and when to step up to more advanced and dangerous things. Like they don't recommend highways until 20 hours or more.

Outside of driving my general recommendation would be to just be her friend, don't treat her like anything more. Especially if she has a dad active in her life.

Looks like down north of the Springs?

fknlo posted:

Sounds like where I'm at in Colorado. It's one of the reasons I'm trying to go back to Kansas City.

Yeah but, KC weather sucks and the jobs don't pay as well...

Beverly Cleavage posted:

SC'ed FRS/BRZ sounds awesome, but wasn't it Muffinpox that bought one and eventually got rid of the SC if not the car itself?

I can attest to having recently seen a Snapchat selfie of him with the car on fire behind him. It looked like a little fire, but flames nevertheless.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 17, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

The 2.7L's codename is nano, and it's seriously small. Which is why people are pissed that it's not in the Ranger. It'd be awesome.

It’s a DOHC v6 with traditional accessories, no matter how small the displacement the packaging is still pretty large especially compared to cam-in-block engines.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp, Rhyno, STR, and suburban dad: you're all amazing. See below:

Sorry for the delivery address nightmare, this stuff came Monday and I was traveling this week. The frenchie LOVES the toys, and I have half the stuff to take over to my rottie once he's back (he went to the vet today for his ACL surgery - we bring him home, to my dad's house for recovery, tomorrow.)

Thank you all for being such a good community.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:toot: congrats on the new sex trophy. I’m probably getting snipped next month. I’m done with three.

Did it last January, being worry-free is great.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Sorry we ruined your (and everybody else's) climate.

China sees our bluff and raises us all:

It takes a village!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I use a 2012 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM and an SSD to wake it up a bit as my daily at home, and likewise a 2012 i7 27" iMac and a 2010-ish Mac Pro quad-core Xeon usually running Windows on my desk in my office for heavier-duty tasks.
I would like to at least get a 2013-2015 MacBook Pro, though. I'm taxing the poor 2012 a bit with the truly stupid number of Chrome windows and tabs I keep open. Not really a failing of the laptop, though, more of me.
My existence as a Professional PC Janitor means that I've used castoffs and hand-me-downs for the last two decades. My last (and first!) brand new machine was in 2000. ASUS system board, P4, I think. Windows ME. Eventually put a windows and lighting in the case, but it was fairly pedestrian. I did build it myself, though, as part of my Electronics Technology course at ATI.

Ah, almost forgot the Mac Mini I'm using as a file server. I really need to find another solution for that. Macs are great, but don't really work the best as a file server. My main sticking point is that the storage drive attached to it is in a format that only Macs speak, which means hours of copying to change. Tremek brought up FreeNAS a while back, and I want to see if this little guy can work with that, since FreeNAS currently does everything I want to do with that box, including serving Plex and grabbing Bittorrents. at some point I need to decommission the Mac Pro from running 24/7 - it chews up a lot of power, and the only reason it needs to stay on is Bittorrent. Which I guess I could move to the Mini right now...

You may be able to install it but FreeNAS has two peculiar but important requirements around RAM:

1) I think 8GB is the minimum, and

2) They highly suggest you use ECC RAM so that in conjunction with ZFS, you can prevent bit rot and not write a bad bit back to the disk array. While the reasons for this aren’t quite as dire as the freenas nerds would have you believe, it’s still not a bad idea.

So far I continue to be happy with it chooching along without having to do much after initial config. 16-32GB ECC RAM is probably the second largest expense following disks but I think it’s worth it.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Raluek posted:

And don't talk too much poo poo about PPCs, I'm posting this from a G4 Powerbook. It's one of, uh, many.

With all seriousness - you shouldn’t be on the internet with that machine anymore, full stop.

There are unpatched vulnerabilities in 10.5 and modern web browsers are no longer supported on it. You’re asking to get banking credentials stolen or worse.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

toplitzin posted:

loving Camry.

Rotated the tires and the TCS is freaking out whenever you hit the gas.

Cleared the codes, too it for a few laps around the neighborhood with plenty of turns, and nope, will angry.

Even after an ECU reset.

Drives fine with it off, but then you have the ugly light on and the lady gets upset.

FML

Sounds like you may have damaged or unplugged a wheel speed sensor?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Raluek posted:

I only use it for shitposting.

The browser I use is this one, which is indeed a couple years old, but much newer than what it shipped with. And it supports modern SSL and stuff. There's also tenfourfox, which is up to date with current firefox, but it's quite a bit slower.

Not like I log into anything more sensitive than my SA account with it, anyway.

I wonder if there is any malware in the wild anymore that targets OS9...

It’s not just malware that you have to worry about; in fact fileless attacks are more common than file-based attacks in many sectors now. Whether taking advantage of weak encryption (for example: are you using wireless?) The built-in Airport cards of that era don’t even support WPA - it’s trivial to passively crack a WPA password these days much less WEP. Even if you don’t leave the house it doesn’t mean anything you do on the device is secure.

I’m not saying you’re a likely target or anything like that as I don’t know squat about you, but hackers are weird and an oddity like a PPC machine could easily catch someone’s eye for reasons you can’t even fathom (and if I were to make a guess, it could happen for as simple a reason as the novelty.)

Worse yet, once your machine’s compromised, it’s not just that machine that’s the problem - the next thing an attack is going to attempt to exploit is moving laterally on your network to look for things that DO matter to you, such as sensitive files (tax returns, photos, banking data) or especially if it’s part of the new breeds of randomware, you’ll wake up one day to a ransomware screen demanding Bitcoin or else.

How good are your backups? Are they offline and airgapped? I assure you I am not loving with you.

I was at Black Hat a few weeks ago (Defcon is where the real action is at by comparison of course) and even then some of the proof of concepts being discussed or worse yet being used in the wild are astounding.

If you want some easy scares, go look up apps and OSes you use even just occasionally on Exploit-DB and see how many practical attacks there are available for any script kiddie to pull down and run via Kali and the like, it’s astounding.

Even just in the past 2-5 years this environment has changed drastically. I reiterate my advice (based on the advice of people far more knowledgeable than me) to not touch the web in any way with a device that is EOL/unsupported.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 29, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Beach Bum: sounds like you both need to work on communication; you being weird and evasive about your dad’s situation probably didn’t help, but her lack of understanding (I mean c’mon - it’s your parent) also sucks. Side note, you’re not in college, “roommate” has juvenile implications, probably better to phrase that differently to any/all.

With that said I’m astounded that she doesn’t contribute to the mortgage unless that’s how you see the $200/mo. This person sounds coddled.

The dog thing is also dumb considering she has to know you have a dog, and that said dog needs help? Moving in together and adopting cats all in a 6 month period are yellow flags at best. This kind of drama may well be portents of things to come IMO. :( I sense a lack of empathy and an increased sense of narcissism on her part, and you may be an enabler. Consider counseling/therapy, or maybe just :sever: as none of this will just get better on its own, you’ll need effort from both parties.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Maksimus54 posted:

She doesn't really have any say, but not telling her who is possibly moving in is a dick move, and a bigger dick move by your dad for making it your problem.

I guess I hadn’t picked up that Beach Bum STILL hadn’t told his GF the “roommate” is dad.

Life lesson for Beach Bum: if you’re living with someone and sleeping with them, honest and open communication with them trumps whatever reason for confidentiality you think you need to carry with your dad.

If you still can’t bring yourself to be open and honest with said person,

1) you probably shouldn’t be with them,
2) you need to work on your own poo poo so you can have mature relationships, and
3) you need to make sure your dad understands those boundaries, and if he doesn’t, set them

Put yourself in your GF’s shoes - if the tables were turned and you were living with her and it was her mom that was moving in but you didn’t know that - leaving you to think her ex-boyfriend or someone is moving in as a “roommate” - you would be 10x weirded out by the whole thing.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Kinda. The rate of data on from the OBD-II might not be sufficient for gauges. Which is why

Good folks on these here forums. :)

I'm pretty sure a device communicating with a vehicle's CANbus over the OBD2 port is at no disadvantage versus other devices on the bus - CAN in theory has a 1 mbit/s limit and gauge clusters themselves are often directly consuming CANbus data for display.

What can sometimes be harder to deal with is decoding which PIDs represent what data, and what scale the values are on.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

Except the sampling rate over OBD2 is much slower than interfacing directly with the bus. And the more PIDs you're checking, the slower the refresh gets.

10 hZ (best case) is a bit too slow for stuff like a tach, and the more stuff you're pulling data for, the slower it gets. Hell the factory tach on my car is laggy enough, and it's tied directly into the bus. Comparing directly interfacing with the bus to capturing data using the generic OBD2 protocol is like comparing 6mbit DSL to a 2400 bps dialup BBS.

There's ways to directly interface with the bus over the OBD2 port, but you need something that speaks the car's native tongue instead of the generic OBD2 protocols. That's not gonna be as cheap or easy.

OBD2 in practice is a standard, not a protocol. There’s 5+? widely used protocols that can run over the port/bus, and CANbus can talk at 250-500kbit/s. Virtually all cars over the past 10 years speak some form of CAN.

Edit, more info:

Wikipedia posted:

ISO 15765 CAN (250 kbit/s or 500 kbit/s). The CAN protocol was developed by Bosch for automotive and industrial control. Unlike other OBD protocols, variants are widely used outside of the automotive industry. While it did not meet the OBD-II requirements for U.S. vehicles prior to 2003, as of 2008 all vehicles sold in the US are required to implement CAN as one of their signaling protocols.

pin 6: CAN High
pin 14: CAN Low
CANH signal voltage level: 3.5V (min/max 2.75 to 4.50)
CANL signal voltage level: 1.5V (min/max 0.5 to 2.25)

All OBD-II pinouts use the same connector, but different pins are used with the exception of pin 4 (battery ground) and pin 16 (battery positive).

I also found sources indicating CAN can transmit 1mbit/s, so in no way are you going to saturate the bus even doing 1-10ms update/refresh cycle, multi-byte messages to a speedo and tach.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

I'm aware of that, but many of them are significantly slower when communicating with one of the several OBD2 protocols instead of the manufacturer-specific protocol.

And CAN dates back to 1992 for automotive use; GM and Mercedes were the first to use it. GM's implementation, at least in the late 00s, uses a whopping 10.4 Kbps for stuff that doesn't need the high speed bus (the PCM and other critical components communicate with each other at ~500 Kbps).

I'm not saying the CAN bus itself isn't speedy - it's plenty fast for what it is. But speed goes to poo poo when you're using one of the generic OBD2 protocols instead of a manufacturer specific protocol. The whole reason this came up was implementing aftermarket gauges; any that actually do tie into any kind of bus will likely be using one of the generic protocols.

You're not making sense or confused, I'm not sure which. OBD2 ports were required on all US cars from 1996 onward, and I think the original OBD2 standard was ISO 9141, but there's been 4+ standards just used in the US that communicate over the physical port, using different wires, as none of the standards have ever utilized all wires available on the OBD2 port.

In 1996, no car used ISO 15745-4 CAN on the OBD2 port as I don't think it existed as an ISO standard at that point even if Bosch (may) have already designed it, or at the very least an earlier revision of CAN. The US Gov't didn't require any CAN to be available on the OBD2 port until it adopted ISO 15765-4 CAN as the standard that would ultimately be required by 2008; some manufacturers started providing ISO 15765-4 on the OBD2 port as early as 2003, but it was required from 2008 onward.

GM in the 1990s was using the Class-2 Bus - not CAN - and conforming to SAE J1850 VPW (variable pulse-width) which is and was limited to 10.4 KB/s. They may have also still supported ISO 9141 for backward compatibility on the OBD2 port itself for pulling OBD2 fault codes, but I'm not 100% on that.

Prior to ISO 15765-4 being required as an industry-wide standard, GM designed and switched to using GMLAN as a communications format running over the CAN network, but in a transition period (~2000-2007?) often or always, not sure, did not support ISO 15765-4 on the OBD2 port, still providing SAE J1850 VPW. Meanwhile Ford in the early 00s was doing their own thing and decided to use SAE J1850 PWM (pulse-width modulation) which could run something like 40 KB/s on their cars.

All these different standards could still provide OBD2 PIDs, but at differing rates, on different wires, via different communication methods. So yes, your old cars are transmitting information over the equivalent of a POTS copper telephone line at 2400 bps, but as of 2003 onward, some manufacturers were using the equivalent of DSL modems over the same infrastructure to transmit the same information and more over a different digital bus at 250-500 kbit/s, and everyone was by 2008.

In a car from 2008+ onward, you're guaranteed that it's going to support ISO 15765 CAN, and that's going to be available on the OBD2 port because ultimately all the different standards use different pins so adding new standards hasn't negatively impacted previous standards. Even a $10 ELM327 Chinesium dongle off Amazon supports 500 kbit/s CAN so long as the manufacturer added the right pins and/or the ripoff chip in it isn't hobbled.

A good visualization of the different pins used by the different standards:

Edit: one more analogy for you; for cars that support ISO 15765 CAN, think of the OBD2 port as not just where you can pull OBD2 trouble/fault codes, but a network jack that lets you get on the Car Wide Web via CANBus and, with a CAN-compatible device, you can either be a passive listener to the data flowing over the bus (gauges) or transmit your own data to other devices on the bus (ECM, BCM, TCM, etc etc.)

Before the forced adoption of ISO 15765 by 2008, yes, different manufacturers were using their expensive and proprietary scan tools to be able to update their own cars and run diagnostics or control different computers in their cars - but they were still ultimately doing so (with a few minor exceptions) using the same wiring and conforming to one of the 4 standards that an emissions testing center could pull OBD2 PIDs on demand from.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 29, 2019