Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm seeing Mogwai the week of my birthday, with my GF and my best friend from Dallas. He (friend) is coming down for a couple of days. I should actually have some vacation time at work to burn for this by then too.

The lovely part: I turn 41 this month. :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

To be fair, a lot of places don't have a class D fire extinguisher. And smoke from a lithium ion battery fire is insanely toxic.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Garage fire :( Photos posted near the end of last months' chat thread. I haven't had a chance to pore over the documents yet but I think you are correct on them being related to me not buying the vehicle back. Will review them closely over the weekend and have more info - I've never made a claim like this in my life so I'm wary. The email also requested I mail keys/pink slips to the adjustor and like, I know I'm going to have to do it eventually it just feels so weird.

Yeah don't do any of this until you have their offer. I've never had them take the car or title/keys until after we've negotiated the value.

And one of those totals was with AAA. They were pretty easy to deal with TBH, but they absolutely hit me with the "we don't want your business" rate at renewal time ($100/mo to $350/mo). IIRC they sent me the check before I sent the title and keys, but I'm not 100% on that (it was 10 years ago).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So a shooting in my home town next to the mall I spent entirely too much time at as a kid and teen.

And the shooter lives ~15 minutes from my parents.

:wtc:

You guys running nVidia cards need to update your drivers ASAP too.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 3, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A Small Car posted:

I'm catching up on the thread, so not sure if this has been addressed or not, but at least in terms of El Paso itself, it's been a lot more than thoughts and prayers. We had to turn people away yesterday because so many people showed up to give blood (and I mean turn away by the hundreds, maybe even thousands) and none of the funeral homes in the city are charging anything for the victims. The shithead politicians may not do anything, but our city pulled together in a major way and I'm proud to live here (for more reasons than just this).

Sup fellow El Pasoan? Everything I've heard about how the city has pulled together has made me really proud of my hometown.

Too bad I'm 9 hours away now. Send Chico's, thx in advance

Creepily enough... the shooter lives <15 minutes from my mother, and when I lived in DFW, I worked about half a mile away at one point. I grew up fairly close to Cielo Vista as well. :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 5, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Annnnd 59 people shot in Chicago over the weekend. 7 died. Multiple events in the case of Chicago, but holy poo poo. Chicago, Dayton, El Paso, Gilroy all in the past week.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A Small Car posted:

As for Chico's, are you a sauce drinker, or do you leave what's left?

Depends how many bits are left in it. But it's half green sauce before I even start eating it anyway, I need a little fire. Ironically, it was my stepdad (who's from a tiny town in east TX) who introduced me to Chico's when I was probably 8 or so (he'd been in El Paso probably 5 or 6 years by then) - my dad hates it, mom used to be meh on it.

I was born and raised in EP; Army took dad out there, railroad took mom's parents out there (her dad worked for the railroad way back in the day). And yet my Spanish is impressively bad, even by gringo standards. :saddowns:

My GF is also from El Paso, born in Mexico (so full Mexican by birth and DNA, but has been in the US since she was a week old), and my Spanish is better than hers. :wtc: She was adopted by a language professor at UTEP... her (adopted) mom speaks 4 languages fluently. Anytime we're back home I make it a point to trigger her mom on her daughter's lack of language skills, it always gets a hilarious rant :haw:

How the gently caress did that fuckstain not only find a GF, but get engaged? He... doesn't look like much, and doesn't seem terribly intelligent if that manifesto was really his. (I mean i'm not great to look at either, but I'd like to think I'm slightly above average intelligence...)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 5, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A Small Car posted:

here since I was 7 and all I know how to do is swear in Spanish. I'm amazed your gf doesn't speak Spanish, that's hilarious. Does she speak any other languages?

Nope, just English, with the most midwestern American accent in the world (probably because her mom grew up in Kansas). She never took any interest in any languages as a kid or teen, despite El Paso, at the time, being about 50/50 split between English and Spanish speaking (I suspect Spanish is more common now that the Hispanic population is roughly ~80%). She knows how to pronounce words in French, as in she can see one and know how it's supposed to be pronounced - but doesn't actually know any French. :haw:

I can cuss out most of your family in Spanish, and I can order food at taco trucks. That's it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LloydDobler posted:

Did you have anything on the passenger seat? The occupancy sensors can trip if you put a package on there that's lighter than an adult but heavier than nothing, the car thinks you have a baby or child there.

I had the seatbelt warning dinging at me once in my daughter's car and I couldn't figure out why until I realized that I had a bag of groceries on the seat. It was just heavy enough to fool the car.

My GF's Toyota is like that - if you so much as sneeze on the passenger seat, it starts yelling for you to buckle up (well, beeping incessantly). A backpack with a few books, or a bag of groceries, is enough to trip it.

But it doesn't trip the airbag MIL... it just switches the "passenger airbag on/off" light to on and the seat belt light starts flashing.

My Saturn? I've had over 50 pounds of stuff on the passenger seat before, and it didn't trip the occupancy sensor. I don't know if they might have a second occupancy sensor on the seat back, or maybe multiple sensors in the bottom,, but I've had cases of water stacked on the seat and it didn't trip it. GF (who's just barely on this side of 100 lbs) trips it fine. FWIW, both my old Saturn and this one were the same way, though I do have the front seats from the old car installed in this car (the originals were pretty torn up, and the airbag light kept coming on until I swapped them, so I assume it had a bad sensor in the original seat). Mine will also start dinging for the passenger to buckle up if the sensor does get tripped (and has a second seat belt light for the passenger seat), but at least it only dings for about 5 seconds.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 6, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Give him a break, he used to be an Aston mechanic... and now he works on Italian cars. His perception of a quality electrical system is probably massively skewed. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MomJeans420 posted:

If you have a bluetooth ODB-II scanner and an Android phone (maybe it works on iphones but they used to gently caress with bluetooth), you can get the Carista app and change that. It can handle a fair number of changes that usually you need Techstream or to go to the dealer to fix. I turned off the seatbelt chime and changed a lot of the lock options on my car.

The only thing that sucks is you pay $10 but it only gives you access to the advanced features for a week, however I'd rather pay $10 once and use it on all my cars then have to pay $100 for a perpetual license.

Just checked. Doesn't support my car at all, and doesn't support any changes on GF's car (2005 Toyota Matrix) - only basic diagnostics. And on her car, the only thing you could probably change is the seat belt beeper anyway - it has manual everything, and the original radio has been replaced. It'd be nice to customize the DRLs somehow though - once they're on (low beam headlights at full brightness), they stay on until you shut the car off. Same goes for the full headlights (they're fully automatic, on a car so basic that the floor mats were $250 extra, but once they're on, they won't shut off until you kill the engine). I like DRL's, but it'd be nice to be able to shut them off when parked without having to cycle the ignition. On my car, the DRLs shut off if I'm not moving and engage the parking brake. On hers, I don't think even the version with an automatic transmission shuts them off once you're in park (hers is a 5MT).

There's a song and dance you can do with the seat belt, ignition switch, and trip odometer reset button to shut it up. I haven't been able to get the timing just right though, it's pretty loving picky. I got it right on mom's car (2003 Toyota Avalon) for both the seat belt annoy-a-tron and to program in new keyfobs, once.

And their home screen shows an iPhone, but I assume it'd be a WiFi OBD2 adapter in that case. Either way, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try and remember it once I get something newer.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'll have to check the wife's phone, she's woken up to find it not charged a few times. I got rid of the issue on mine with a magnetic charger plug, sticks out a little bit but it's pretty handy.

I use a magnetic plug on my work phone (otherwise I would have worn out the micro USB jack within a couple of weeks), but they don't pass the full current through (the plug gets downright hot if I'm using a fast charger, and it charges noticeably slower using the magnetic plug). My personal phone is USB-C, but it generally just gets charged once a day. It's gotten kinda hard to get the plug to snap in, though it's not a Pixel - I've had issues with it not charging a few times.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Call the city. If the dog is tied up without shelter (or food, or water), animal control will be very interested. The police may or may not be interested in the noise.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How in the everliving gently caress does a loving full size truck get the same (if not better) MPG than a drat Saturn? :corsair:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yo dawg, I heard you like overdrive, so I got an overdrive for your overdrive, then I got an overdrive for the overdrive of your overdrive!

IIRC mom's piece of crap Olds Intrigue was barely above 1k at highway speeds, and got shockingly decent mileage for the 3800 (mid-high 20s in a W body).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 6, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I snagged a used Fitbit Charge 2 off of eBay for a whopping $35. My original Charge finally died after several years, and it didn't do heart rate monitoring anyway.

:stare:

That's just since midnight, screenshot right after I got in the car to leave work. It logged 9600 yesterday... about 2/3 of that from 10pm-midnight going by the graphs. No wonder I'm dropping weight... also, no wonder my jeans seem really tight on my calves now.

ilkhan posted:

Is that the 2.7L? My 3.5EB gets around 15 with my heavy foot. Oops.

I think he said it was the 3.5.

Stepdad got a '19 2.7 recently and gets 20+ in it as well - and that's all city streets, mostly short drives (work is 15 minutes away, while the grocery store is literally around the corner from the house). Really pisses me off when he brags about 600+ miles a tank when I can't even get 250. :argh:

He traded in an '01 F-150 with the 5.4 for it, and he swears the 2.7 is much faster, even says it's a bit faster off the line. Guessing the turbos spool up real quick on it. Or the 5.4 was way down on power (very likely; he got it with about 30k and a ripped K&N filter, and never replaced the filter... essentially running no air filter for over 100k).

Ferremit posted:

im going to up my 2nd battery capacity to 200AH by adding another battery, then dropping 200w of solar into the mix so when im parked up camping I can keep my beers ice cold.

This is a man who has his priorities straight.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Out of interest, who has the most problematic basket case car on this forum anyway?

Tossup between KillHour, the Dodge Van, and my Saturn.

I've stopped giving a poo poo about anything except tires, brakes, and AC on mine.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 7, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DAMNIT

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GF sent me a text asking me to "prevent [her] from getting on the internet" for the rest of the day once she gets home. And to get rid of any electronic distractions, because she really wants to be able to clean and sort through 3+ months worth of mail and do some deep cleaning (since we now have roaches... ughhhhh... I'm the only one that does dishes or takes out the trash, and she refuses to rinse her dishes off and put them in the dishwasher).

I don't think she realizes just how thorough I can be. Wifi passwords changed, PC passwords changed (tho apparently it's been so long since she used her account on my PC that the Windows new user thing launched all over again, since it's been through a couple of rounds of major updates since she last logged in), MAC filters enabled on the router, game console controllers hidden, laptops and tablets hidden, power cord to the living room TV seems to be missing (even if it wasn't, the breaker is off, and the surge protector - wedged behind the entertainment center - is also unplugged).

Also, neither Sprint nor T-Mobile have poo poo for service inside the apartment (she's on Sprint, I'm on T-Mobile). My phone is whitelisted for wifi, desktop PC is whitelisted, bedroom Roku is whitelisted, Nest is whitelisted.

The fun part will be remembering where her 3DS, iPad, laptop, game console controllers, etc are hidden. :ohdear:

Obligatory :sever:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 7, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

christ dude

IN MY DEFENSE she's the one who asked me to cut her off from the outside world. And by the time she gets home, I'll be sound asleep. :haw: She's really gonna love it when she realizes the :420: is also hidden.

Shark week (aka commies are in the funhouse) is full of neat things. And by neat I mean I'm going into work early and doing everything I can do to stay late and in general just staying away from home. I only worked 10 hours last night/this morning... 12 on my last shift. I'm probably working at least 10 tonight, split between at least 2 departments (GM and frozen for sure, dry grocery as a maybe). Should be a nice paycheck.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 7, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Previa_fun posted:

STR, man, we love you and your Honda sperging ways but hasn't the general consensus been to sever for at least a year now.

We're about to start pissing in the well.

I'm pissing in my own well at this point; I'm only here because I'm saving up to GTFO.

Soon....

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I had slowly been working my way out of frozen, while they've been trying to convince sucker someone into cross training (the same thing they did to me.. "oh it'll just be a day or two here and there").

Well... the guy who's literally been in the store (and working frozen the whole time) since it opened is on an emergency leave of absence. His mother is in the ICU. We don't know much else except he's gonna be gone a bit. Last night I was scheduled for GM (general merchandise), but talked ot the overnight manager for GM and told him frozen needed help (it was just one guy working; it was a backstock-only night, at least, but they had a shitload of backstock to deal with). He was fine with that, if he could get coverage. Well... 30 min after I got there, he let me know he had 2 call outs (on top of the 1 person on a leave of absence)... so he was short 3 people (out of 6). He got someone from another store to help out, someone from dry grocery, and had to get me.

P (the guy working frozen, also our new overnight lead - good guy) told me he already knew he'd be pulling at least a 10 hour night, and appreciated the bit of help I was able to give. Finished up in GM about an hour past my scheduled off time (the overnight lead there was showing me how to change inventory counts and handle their backstock - voluntary, he kept asking if I was sure I wanted to stay, I said yes, gimme all the hours), went to help P for another hour. So... another 10 hour day. Even with being scheduled 30 hours this week, I'm gonna bump right up against 40 this week.

My boss (one of two grocery managers) asked me if I could come in tonight. It's my night off. J is working (the one who thinks he's hot poo poo). I hemmed and hawed... knowing I need the OT. But working with J is not a fun time. Boss finally said I can name a time to come in and leave (and he knows J and I have butted heads). I'm going in an hour late to make him sweat a little, and to let him do the heaviest lifting. :v: I'll stay as late as I possibly can; boss knows I'm gonna be taking the tip (just the tip, I promise) of OT when I clock out, and that my Friday night shift will be 100% glorious overtime.

ilkhan posted:

The 2.7 spools faster and is generally quicker all else being equal. But it doesn't have the grunt the 3.5 has for towing.

The only kind of cargo that truck will ever see will be the 250 pound jackass in the driver's seat.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Also str : I'm getting married in a month, it makes sense because *fartttt*. I'm just gonna save up for a divorce lawyer too. No, I can't make her sign a prenup she'd slash my tires and be very suspicious. She buys 1700 dollars in candles a month, it's gonna take a while since we just merged our bank accounts.

Viggen? Is that you?

No need for a prenup when you're broke; I'm the one that buys 1700 candles. :colbert: (and if I actually put a ring on that or merge bank accounts, I obviously have very advanced dementia and should be placed under guardianship of anybody but her)

Tremek posted:

I write this with the best of intentions but this is weird codependent enablement behavior and it’s not good for you or her. Are you seeing a therapist? Gotta arm yourself with some better answers to weird SO poo poo.

Her behavior is very codependent, yeah. Extremely clingy, very prone to laying on a thick guilt trip. I don't have 3 jobs for the money (well, it's partly for the money); it's mainly to get me out of the house. Unfortunately 2 of those jobs are driving jobs with a Saturn that's held together with Facebook thoughts and prayers, but the grocery store is pretty easy to get overtime at when you're an overnighter; I've been there late enough that I'm clocking out after dayside has already taken their first break (a couple of times when they're already taking lunch).

She claimed the time offline did help her get caught up on a bunch of stuff. :iiam: I... uh... can't seem to figure out where I hid her 3DS though (I thought I hid it inside my PC), but she found the PS4 controllers and Roku remote (Roku wouldn't do any good, PS4 can be used offline to a degree though). But no, no therapist. I'm a lot more independent than she wants, and prone to doing stuff like "hey, I feel like going out for awhile, I'm gonna drive out to a trail and go hiking" while she's at work... which drives her crazy.

There's obviously some codependency on my end too, but at this point I pretty much view this as a "roommate I happen to share a bed with, and we might have bad sex once a month" arrangement. I care about her as a person (I mean, we've known each other for 27 years), I don't want to see anything bad happen to her, and I know it's going to wreck her when I finally get the balls and money to leave, but it's gonna happen.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 8, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Went in to help J at work. Clocked in at 11, but got stopped by a seemingly very lonely older lady who just wanted to chat about... orange juice and the mailer we send out. The way the conversation went, I suspect she's dealing with a bit of dementia. :smith: But I didn't get to J's aisles until 11:15 because of that. I did give the manager on duty a heads up to keep an eye on her; she had prescriptions in her basket, when the pharmacy had been closed for over 2 hours, and asked how much longer we were open (2 hours), which got a "oh, I should hurry then" out of her.

"WHY ARE YOU SO LATE". Strike one dude, I'm here on my day off. I got stopped by an elderly customer, I was as nice as I could possibly be in helping her until it became obvious I couldn't help her, then got away as politely as possible.

An hour after I'm supposed to leave, "hey, I need you to go front aisle <x>". I remind him I'm there on my day off, was supposed to leave over an hour ago, and casually mention a doctor's appointment (.... I didn't have one, but gently caress him, I was supposed to leave at 6, it's now 7:30, and he knows I have chronic health issues anyway). "WELL WHY THE gently caress DIDN'T YOU TELL ME SOONER? YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WE'D BE STAYING LATE!" Strike two, bitch. You ain't my boss, AND I was told it'd be a light load when I agreed to come in to help your rear end.

Me: "Look dick, you should be thanking me. I gave up a drat nice dinner, a movie, getting laid, and my catering shift with my other job for today [Friday] to come in and help your ungrateful rear end out. I'm not hearing any 'thanks for coming in on your day off', I'm hearing you bitching about me leaving a full hour and a half after the time I agreed to stay till. So where's my "hey man, I appreciate you coming in on your day off"?

Him: *silent stare*. I guess that's strike three against him. Nope. Nooooope nope nope hell nope. Next time boss asks me to come in and help frozen, I'm specifically going to be asking if I'm only going to be working with J. If so, I will give a very resounding "gently caress him, he can deal with it himself". Management knows he's a dick, they put up with him because he's fast and he's been there so long.

We did knock out 8 pallets between the two of us, which is enough to challenge all of us combined (3 primary aisles, 3 loooooooong bunkers, 7 end caps, and another aisle's worth of freezers in other departments that we, for some reason, stock, despite them belonging to seafood and meat). We finished a bit after the store opened, but it was pretty backbreaking. Fitbit logged a lot of spikes in heart rate up to 130ish (my resting is high 60s, occasionally low 70s, seems to be in the 50s when sleeping - at work it'll spike up to about 110 sometimes).

NitroSpazzz posted:

We tracked everything that came and went from the hospital room during my last extended stay, took pictures of everything especially anything brought in but never opened. We found charges for thousands of dollars for excess crap they brought in but never used.

I had an ER visit a couple of years ago - they did get me into a room quickly, and drew 3 vials of blood. Then I .... waited. And waited. And waited. Someone eventually brought me some water; a doctor came in briefly and basically said I was making poo poo up, but they'd "get me in for scans soon". The 3 vials of blood were left sitting there for over 8 hours (along with me, in a not very good mood, and overall feeling like death). The only upside is the nurse that drew the blood was cheery and friendly; everybody else was very much in a "gently caress you" mood.

I finally gave up, grabbed the vials (because I knew they'd try to bill me for labs that never got run - besides, don't you have to run it within an hour or two of the draw? or not?), and walked out. Drove to a different hospital where I got seen immediately. I got a phone call a few hours later asking if I was still in the hospital. And yes, I did get a bill in the mail for labwork and the ER visit. I sent them a picture of the vials on my desk, with the hospital's stickers on them, asking how they ran bloodwork without them. Never heard anything else.

tl;dr gently caress county hospitals, but they were the closest hospital in-network (21 miles away!) for my insurance. At least in Austin, 2 of the 3 major hospital networks are in-network, including the closest hospitals.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I also smoke regular weed and tbh it's not some awesome pain reliever like some people make it out to be, at least for me. It helps take the edge off my arthritis pain a bit but that's about it. Most of the time it's not worth getting high just for a small amount of pain relief when I have poo poo to do. At the end of the day sure, but otherwise no.

GF has rather severe TMJ - and it's even worse in the week that the commies are invading the funhouse every month. Smoking helps her significantly.

OTOH, she wants to make edibles. I can't find anything except $$$$$ weed. I refuse to drop good (read: expensive) poo poo into cooking; I've always used the cheapest poo poo possible for that. Which is apparently impossible to get in Austin (DAMNIT TRUMP, YOUR WALL IS KILLING CHEAP WEED). She bitches about how much weed costs, but this is stuff that gives an experienced smoker couch lock.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Truck update:
Drove to the beach and got 25mpg the whole way. Even after sitting in traffic on the bridge.

I got 15.5 on my last tank... in a loving Saturn. Something ain't right.

I know I have a fuel line leaking, but it's not spotting on the ground enough for it to be noticeable (it probably is, just evaporates quickly) - there's a faint fuel odor around it (strong inside if I drive with the windows or sunroof open, totally gone if I keep the windows up and ac on - moving or parked :iiam:). I didn't think it'd gotten much worse.

.... it does spend several hours a week idling though. I take my lunch breaks (and some 15 minute breaks) in the car, since the store shuts off the HVAC at night. Gives me a chance to cool down (and get away from coworkers for a bit).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 9, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

You guys who can ride bikes to work etc. are lucky.
Dallas/Fort Worth is suburban hell, and everything is miles away from everything else.

I've only been gone a year, but hoooooly poo poo I do not miss that. I especially don't miss the drive from my old apartment to Amazon's warehouse when I was delivering for them full time. I lived right on the border of Rockwall/Garland/Rowlett (right on I-30), the warehouse I delivered out of is next to Love Field. That drive could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours, depending on if a single drop of rain had fallen from the sky in the past 24 hours.

Austin is still spread out, but it's a lot more bike friendly. I'm 1.7 miles from work, which is walkable or bikeable - but with how physical my job is, and how many 10-12 hour days I put in, I want nothing to do with exercise when I get off. Plus they shut off the AC at night, so I eat lunch in my car (both to cool off with the AC and to charge my phone, which is streaming music for 5 hours of my shift). I've only been at this job for 2 months, and I'm already at the point that driving more than 15 minutes seems so far away (when I was driving 100-150 miles every day when I first moved here...).

I was talking to one of the managers after I clocked out today (I occasionally work in his department too), and he mentioned he'd tried walking from his old place a few times and it just took too long. I mentioned yeah, it takes about a half hour for me. He asked where I live. Turns out he just moved out of my apartment complex. :stare:

Rhyno posted:

Yo I hate my dad because he is in really good health but he's morbid as poo poo and wants to talk about what to do after he dies all the goddamn time! We already have a will and documents for all his poo poo! drat it Dad, let's just eat pizza and talk about trains!

Is he related to my mother? Anytime she even has a doctor's appointment, it's a half hour phone call of where all her worldly possessions are, along with her will, important documents, etc. I keep asking her to just WRITE IT DOWN, because no way in hell will I ever remember the 30 locations in the house she has stuff stashed (including a couple of guns).

mariooncrack posted:

Please be careful. Don't forget a former forum member's jeep caught on fire due to a leaking gas line.

My leak is in front of the left rear wheel - the exhaust is about a foot away, but has a heat shield (the fuel line is also wrapped in heat shield tape from the factory - which is why it winds up leaking, it traps crap against the line, and this is a MN car). Not a lot of risk unless I flick a cigarette at the right spot (and I don't smoke cigs...).

Tremek posted:

If it sates any latent curiosity, he admitted to me near the end of his stay that he had deliberately set it on fire.

I thought that was common knowledge.

T-Square posted:

She was whining and telling her that she was probably going to have a hard time getting a vein because hers roll around or whatever, and the phlebotomist just goes "Aw, have no fear, whenever I'm in the room blood will spill" :black101: It got a laugh out of us.

On Wednesday she got her IV port installed in her chest, and right after she was wheeled in and still a little drowsy she said "Psstt come here, I have a secret!" and I leaned over her and she said "When they were doing the procedure, I accidentally tooted!" :shobon:

My veins always roll, and it suuuuucks. My doctor's office has a Quest lab on-site, and so far they've always managed to hit it first try. Every time, I give them the "drat, you're good!" line. Out of 3 times now, 1 did go for my hand (the one vein most people can hit), the other 2 went for the crook of my arm and nailed it (one in each arm). I have another round of blood work sometime this month - last month, he hit me with bloodwork early when I went in to have some meds adjusted, but couldn't do a lipid panel. Both of us want that done - he's wanting to put me back on Lipitor, even though my LDL and HDL are normal (triglycerides were a little high, but not significantly)

And that fart was totally intentional. :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

At my old place, I had an older UPS doing backup duty for the modem and router (I don't trust it with the PC, as it occasionally just powers off for no good reason - hence why it got replaced).

Well, it's been sitting a year. I dug it out of storage; tried turning it on before plugging it in, and got the low battery beep. Okay, that's to be expected, but at least the battery has some kind of charge. Let it charge for 2 days... (I don't have the proprietary USB cable for it anymore, FWIW). I wanted to use it to keep the modem and router running here; the power doesn't go out often, but when it does, it's out for a bit, and both T-Mobile and Sprint barely penetrate the building.

Just did a scream test. It died immediately. Swapped the batteries between the two UPS's - it shows fully charged in my main UPS. Flipped the breaker, and my main UPS immediately died, while the old one stayed on.

So I have a 12V SLA battery that two different brands of UPSs both recognize as being fully charged, but both power off immediately once power is lost when this battery is connected. Both will power up for a moment and power whatever's plugged in when you force them to, but shut off after a few seconds. Weird battery failure. It's not swelling or anything. It's been unplugged for a year, so I guess a hosed battery is to be expected, but I haven't had one fail this way before. It shows 12.7 volts open circuit, but drops to <6 volts the moment it gets hit with any kind of load.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 12, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seriously looks like a modern day fire station, except for the kitchen (most of them will have a commercial kitchen). WTF WAS IT USED FOR?!?

e: okay I was really close, google says "Firefighters Union Local 1190". So either an actual firehouse or a union meeting house? Shocking to see something that new already pulled out of service though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 12, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crotch Fruit posted:

Sorry to go all e/n there, on car related poo poo I have to learn how to deal with Copart now. My wife traded in her SUV last May, and last Thursday Copart Fedex'd a request for PoA to release the title to the new buyer. Apparently the new buyer smashed the front end less June 2nd and The General won't pay until my wife signs over the title. I plan to call the dealer we traded it to and ask them if they can fix their poo poo or if I actually need to sign a PoA to Copart. It kinda sucks to see a vehicle that I took good care of and meticulously maintained got totaled so fast.

Sounds like the dealer's issue. :v:

But seriously, someone hosed up BAD here. And judging by their choice of insurance carrier, gonna guess your wife's SUV went to auction, some BHPH lot got it, and financed it at 20-30% APR with weekly payments. You need to contact the DMV in your state and make multiple complaints.

Also, nobody uses The General except for people who can't get insurance elsewhere. And those kind of lots are notorious for loving up title paperwork. :10bux: on them getting it at a BHPH lot...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Earlier today I got added to a FB chat group named "rock n roll Jesse". That kinda gave me a bad feeling. I know a few Jesses, but only one was very much a rocker, and a bunch of mutual friends were in it. I didn't have time to pay attention to it since I was working.

Turns out a close friend was found dead. No word on how/why, all I know is the police found him in his apartment.

Rest in peace, you crazy blurry bastard.

Also uh, looks like I need to find a way to get to Dallas for a funeral.. it's not happening in the Saturn without an alignment, a new wheel, and new front tires first, but there's 2 mutual friends here that may be going. If the funeral is after payday, then I'll be able to get all of that handled.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

For some reason I really like Honda's automatics, at least their 4 speeds (when NOT mated to a V6). They have a nice firm shift if they've been taken care of and have the right fluid.

And yeah an 06 should be long out of the glass era.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There's speculation (nothing concrete) that friend's death may have been a suicide. :sigh: I've been in touch with his family, they don't know anything more than I do. He has a kid, his ex fights him constantly on custody (and I can attest to her being downright crazy), he's had some legal trouble in the past, and just ran into some more that... really doesn't sound like him (unless he relapsed.. he had almost a year sober under his belt). There was no obvious physical stuff when they found him... :iiam:

The funeral is Friday. Tentative plan is to rent a car with a friend and drive to Dallas, go to the funeral, say hi to our respective parents (his mother lives about 5 minutes from my parents), then coming back, since friend has to work that night (I do too, but my job is a lot more understanding than his; I can pretty much guarantee I won't make it to work Friday since I work overnight Thursday + have to deal with a 7 hour round trip + a funeral).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 14, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

To quote Stranger Things... "We all die my strange little child friend. It’s just a matter of how and when."

But to be honest, I feel particularly lovely. His alcohol addiction and legal issues had gotten to the point that I had distanced myself a bit (he was in a self destructive spiral that hadn't bottomed out yet, and wouldn't listen to anybody); once he sobered up again I was hoping to start hanging out with him again, but I wound up moving around the time he got clean again. I'm hardly someone to look up to when it comes to addiction, but he made my drinking, in comparison, look like I have 1 or 2 drinks a week.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 14, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

I thought I just spilled some under the sink as I was taking the plumbing apart and thought it'd go away. Seemed mostly dry when I checked it yesterday morning, great. However, I noticed some wood flooring curling this morning. :siren: Took the dishwasher out and yep... looks like the dishwasher drain blew, probably associated with the clog (it was in the middle of a cycle when the drain clogged). So... flooring is trash. Bottom of cabinets are trash. Downstairs ceiling is trash. Who knows what fresh hell will be inside when they take it apart.

My parents had something semi-similar happen. They put in an instant hot water tap at their kitchen sink (the sink is on the outside west wall, clear across the house from the water heater on the east wall... WH in the attic, pipes run through the slab, so yeah, it takes forever to get hot water in the kitchen). Someone (not pointing fingers at stepdad) didn't tighten a worm clamp. Not an instant water heater setup, but one of those little tiny water heaters that goes to a tap at the sink (the hole is now used by a soap dispenser).

Hello, 5 figure insurance claim - they'd put in hardwood flooring through most of the house (sans bedrooms) at the same time as the kitchen remodel. Wound up having to replace about 1/3 of it, plus drying everything out. They're lucky they caught it pretty early.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thursday: woke up at 9pm, went to work at 10pm
Friday: left work at 7:30am, hauled rear end home, took a shower, threw luggage and GF in GF's car. Picked up friend at 9:30am. Drove to Dallas. Had cheesesteaks at Fred's. Went to a funeral. At the end, his parents said everyone was invited back to their house. Parents threw a party that would have made their son proud (lots of liquor, food, and :420:). I stayed sober, friend that rode with us found a ride to where he was staying (south of downtown Dallas, while we were staying in Plano), left pretty early, got to parents house, somehow stayed awake longer than GF. Fell asleep after 25 1/2 hours.

Somehow woke up at 7am. Grabbed friend that rode up with us around 9am, hauled rear end back to Austin so he could make it to work by 1pm. Now I'm trying unsuccessfully to sleep for work tonight. I brought back a piece of furniture my mom had refinished for me (an old bedside table that was a wedding gift to her in the 70s; I've had it for ages, but it needed a lot of love). GF's shithead cats have discovered the dangly metal pulls, thus why I haven't been able to sleep. :argh:

First time at a Catholic service of any kind. They kept it surprisingly short (only about an hour), and the parents encouraged jeans and band shirts, since that's all friend ever wore. Somehow I didn't completely lose it (I don't handle funerals well), but there wasn't a dry eye in the place. Good to see all of my old friends; first time in at least 12-14 years we've all been in the same place at the same time. Definitely the last time we'll be in the same place at the same time. Had no idea that not only did a couple have kids, said kids were in loving high school.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My new truck doesn't have a CD player and despite many years of streaming I still find it wierd not being able to grab an album off the shelf on my way out the door and listen to it front to back on my way to work.

Even loading an album onto a USB and popping that in just feels cold and disconnected.

Drove stepdad's '19 F-150 today (XLT Texas Edition) and didn't even notice that. Hell of a nice truck though, and a 2.7 has no loving business moving off the line the way that thing does. They look like some seriously tiny turbos, guess that's why I was already going "holy poo poo" before I got through the intersection. If it were mine I'd wanna see what it would do just slapping some bigger turbos on. :haw:

His was showing 18.9 mpg when I got in it. 18.1 2 miles later after I flogged the hell out of it with traction control off and in sport mode. :v: Time will tell how it holds up; he bought the dealer demo, and it already had 2500 miles on it. When I looked under the hood, my first reaction was "where the gently caress is the engine, awwww those are adorable tiny little turbos".

Music talk....Anyone else kinda psyched for the new Tool album dropping at the end of the month?

Of course. And I got an email today from Amazon that I'll actually be receiving it on the 30th, instead of it being shipped on the 30th (that's kinda par for the course with Amazon tho).

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yeah sometimes it's that simple, ordered a brother-DCP-L3510CDW. Let's see how long the 1000 page starter toners last.

FWIW my Brother mono printer came with a 750 page starter. Right at 700 it started streaking ever so slightly, but taking out the cartridge and shaking it a bit took care of that. It's at almost 900 now.

everdave posted:

I am 42 and I regularly go to shows seeing bands in their 20s. Good poo poo is good poo poo. Luckily or unlucky I get time to pursue these things. But I also go see old men like me (Noel Gallagher) every chance I get.

40, but the same applies to me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ilkhan posted:

The 2.7L's codename is nano, and it's seriously small. Which is why people are pissed that it's not in the Ranger. It'd be awesome.

That would be a blast in the Ranger. Or even the Mustang. At least it won't knock itself to death.

For a 2.7 it's pretty large physically, but as pointed out, it's a DOHC V6... and a direct injection twin turbo V6 at that. A Subaru 4 pot looks larger, but that's kind of the edge split (:v:) case when it comes to 4 cylinders.

slidebite posted:

Condolences for this.

Out of curiosity, did it end up that your friend went the suicide route? Some Catholic diocese are very cagey with that and the last sacrament and interning in a Catholic cemetery.

Enlarged heart and liver, they believe he had a heart attack. They were able to get far enough to determine he died on Friday, and was found on Monday. But with the liver being enlarged, there were some serious issues around the corner. I don't think the family could afford to continue further, but it was apparently very obvious he faceplanted in the kitchen.

I'm really glad he didn't go the suicide route, even though the heart attack route is quite a bit more painful. Depending how it hit, he may or may not have even realized what hit him.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tl;dr: got junkyard wheel. got new front tires. got alignment.

junkyard wheel isn't totally straight. Oh well, it's still a shitload better, and Discount Tire said I'd probably only feel it at highway speeds (they were right - slight vibration at highway speeds, no more paint shaker above 10 mph). Told alignment shop "the car is a beater, I just need it to make it through the rest of the year.. you're going to find at least 20 issues that I don't give a poo poo about fixing, and if the bushings are shot, I'm fine with a 'good nuff' alignment". When I picked it up, they told me most of the bushings on it are shot, but there was enough left to do a "good nuff" alignment and still warranty it. They said they didn't bother building a quote to fix it up since I was upfront in telling them I just want it to stop eating tires and don't want to spend any other money on it.

It drives a shitload better. Totally different car aside from the lack of 2nd gear. They were going to do a drain/fill on the gearbox using fluid I brought for a flat half hour labor, until my dumbass mentioned it grinds going into 2nd... :sigh: I'm just gonna need to get off my rear end and cut down an allen key to fit the drain plug. The moment they heard "grind" they basically said "OH HELL NO WE AIN'T TOUCHING THAT GEARBOX".

tetrapyloctomy posted:

People who just drop often don't even know what hit them. They go into ventricular fibrillation and just go out. I've had people grab my arms during CPR and ask me what the gently caress I'm doing, then go back out because they stopped my compressions. We finally get the pads on them to shock, and they don't remember anything. So I'm going to say your bud went out painlessly. I'm sorry for your loss, man.

I honestly hope that's what happened. That's supposedly what happened with another friend - she was in her mid 60s and at her son's having dinner. Her son told me they were in the middle of a conversation with her talking, she stopped talking for a second and "looked confused for a second", followed by a faceplant into a plate full of food. And.. that was it.

fknlo posted:

My AAA insurance experience:

Caliber Collision in Dillon, CO

FWIW, I've used Caliber twice (once in Dallas TX, once in Plano TX). Both times they did excellent work, I really had no complaints.

Service King made 1/3 of my car look like a loving bass boat, and somehow only managed to wash half of the car - outside of laying down bass boat levels of metal flake (and laying it in the wrong direction), the work was "okay". No overspray, but the paint fumes lingered inside the car for about a month.

I used a local chain (Herb's Paint and Body) once to try and support local businesses; they were pretty well regarded in DFW, but they did absolutely terrible work. You could easily see the marks where the hood was straightened, the bumper wasn't even on its hangers properly, and the headlights were laughably misaligned (and when I pulled the bumper to try to get the headlights remotely pointing the right direction, I found both were only held on by 2 out of 5 bolts).. The paint was decent for a few months, then it started falling off of the front bumper in large sheets. When I took it back, they said they wouldn't warranty it because there were some scratches on the bottom of the bumper from parking. If the factory paint can handle 8 years of typical scrapes over a parking berm over 2 previous owners, why the gently caress can't you add enough flex additive to handle 1 scrape?

Elviscat posted:

Does she have comprehensive insurance? If so it's more about who her insurance company is, since they'll be the ones going after the other dude's insurance to recoup costs.

This is also a good reason to carry comprehensive with a good insurer even on a cheap car, and why I do so on my Ranger even though I could replace it out of pocket, gently caress going to battle with someone else's company who is purely motivated to gently caress me over, I'm gonna sit on the couch and massage my whip lashed neck while I wait for my check to come inside a week, with a free rental, and all haggling and negotiating being entirely invisible to me.

This depends on the state and the insurance. Comprehensive here doesn't cover a drat thing if an impact is involved while the car is moving. It's only acts of god covered under comprehensive in Texas - theft, fire, vandalism, hail, flood, etc. UM/UIM will come into play in a hit and run (even while parked), comprehensive takes over if your car was in motion regardless of fault (but they'll subrogate and try like hell to get your deductible back).

FWIW, I've had to have my insurance subrogate twice in accidents. Once they got my deductible back after about 9 months (Nationwide). The other time they threw their hands up after only a month (Geico), but in their letter they claimed they were siding with my side of the story, and my rates didn't go up.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 19, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

I know this is probably against the popular opinion, but the one claim I had with Geico went super smooth and the shop they recommended did a great job.

Geico is really hit and miss depending on your claims adjuster, if you're filing a claim against your own insurance.

They're a hard miss if you're the one that got hit by a Geico policyholder. They dodge the hell out of your calls, I finally got a response when I basically wardialed the adjuster for a good 20 minutes before she picked up and screamed WHAT?!?!?!?!? I'd been trying to reach her for 3 loving days.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My ex had a cross stitched spunking cock in her toilet and a plaster model of her naked torso sat atop her piano. She was an interesting sort.

She sounds fun, though I'm sure there's a reason the word "ex" is in there.

My wife bought a little quote sign and snuck it in the kitchen on me when I wasn't home.

It says "No woman has ever shot a man while he was doing the dishes" :v:

That may change soon. Someone gets upset about me using straight hot water to do dishes.

Hot water gets poo poo off the dishes a lot faster. I have calluses from Mars on my hands because of physical work (also years of washing dishes). Stop worrying about the 50 cents on the electric bill from doing dishes, and maybe start turning off the 400+ watts of bathroom lights that you refuse to swap for LEDs. Or if you're so worried about how much we pay to run our electric water heater, maybe take a 5 minute shower instead of 20.

(calling it now, 7 :sever: replies to this)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 21, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

At this rate we're going to need a version of "ZAURG. GET A DIVORCE." tailored for you.

I'm dumb, but not dumb enough to put a ring on it. Or do common law.

Lol what the gently caress. I'd be calling her out on that poo poo daily.

Oh I do. :v: "well YOU take long showers!" I managed to hop in the shower, take a complete shower (including hair wash and conditioner) before she could finish talking (less than 5 minutes). I jumped out and just stood there staring at her, dripping from the shower, until she finished. She finally realized I managed to not only shower, but almost completely air dry, when she finished bitching. To quote Fluffy: "the look on her face.... PRICELESS!"

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 21, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You replied too quick to see my edit, but we'll just say it's not the quality of sex keeping me around.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's really about the torque more than anything, being able to pull out into traffic quickly is nice rather than having to wait for enough room to get up to speed. For example when we had our HHR I needed a much wider berth to pull out into traffic because the base Ecotec torque was poo poo, I don't have that problem with the 2.4 in my xB.

The Ecotec isn't AS bad with the manual. It's horrible with the automatic though, at least the 2.2 is. The 2.4 is a lot peppier and kicks down a shitload faster when you stomp it. The 2.2 has 150 hp/150 ft lbs in most cars (which isn't bad for what's essentially a 60s Saab tractor motor), but the automatic (and it taking forever to downshift) just sucks all the power out of it.

I've driven manual and automatic versions of my car with the same engine, and they're completely different cars. One is road rage inducing (for both the driver and all the other cars around you), the other is just annoying.

QuarkMartial posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd totally DD a manual transmission Kia Soul with the 2.4l engine (or whatever the bigger size engine they had in them).

They dropped the manual for all but the stripper model several years ago; I think you could only get the 2.0 (largest engine) + manual on the first gen. 1.6 on the 2nd gens for the base model, 2.0 on anything but the base (automatic only). Never got the 2.4 that I know of.

The 3rd gen is 2.0 across the board in the US, AFAIK, and can still be had with a manual (PRAISE KIA!).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 23, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Finally nabbed an 8TB WD easystore for $130.

Shucked it. A certain someone was griping at me about trying to get her to go to the doctor while I was trying to hook it up in the case, I looked up at her when she got particularly heated (all this over trying to get her to just go get a physical for several months, I gave up awhile back, she brought it back up).

SNAP goes the data connector. :argh:

Still seems to work in the external housing (which has a 2 in 1 connector that screws to the drive itself), but I bought it to shuck it, so I can get rid of all of the ancient internal drives (and convert my current external 4TB into an internal). And I don't feel like I can trust it much since the pins bent significantly.

My fault for not putting it down while getting bitched at, but goddamnit. And I wasn't super careful opening it, so it looks like it's been opened (so no returns unless Best Buy isn't paying much attention - that'd be unethical as hell anyway). Incoming :sever: replies expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They'll just toss it back on the shelf once they verify it mostly works. Also it already had a bunch of my stuff on it.

I'll just keep using it as an external. It's just as fast on USB 3.0 vs internal anyway, and the actual drive in it is basically a HGST Ultrastar that's been modified to run at 5400 RPM.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 23, 2019