Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

I stumbled across one of these videos while searching for cheap recipes but immediately shut it off because it looked like a parody a la HowToBasic. Is this legit then?

His cooking stuff is genuine. It's basically the kind of stuff my grandmother made only with lots of doctorskaya kolbasa mixed in which I don't think we have in the UK as I don't have a sklep near me.

I like them because Russian stuff seems like English stuff in that it uses a very similar set of ingredients.

I want to try making his Plov at some point cos it seems like something I'd really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbdQzjaevXQ

His habit of eating mayonnaise with everything though I think is just a personal thing :v:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Actually... no.. I've never read HP and believe me I tried very hard. Even tried listening to Steven Fry audio (20 years ago don't hate me), tried the films... nothing. I felt I was some kind of bad person for just not appreciating it until I came to UKMT :)

You're not missing much. It's an alright YA series for the first few and then it gets dumber and I stopped reading it because it was bad.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

pub quiz machines always beat drunken me by phrasing questions like 'what's the tallest British mountain?' its Mount Hope, in the british antarctic territory

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Coohoolin posted:

lol i'm watching the awful tom cruise mummy movie, imagining the producers being like "yeah so archaeologists are cool, but you know what else is cool? SOLDIERS" so they made the two grave robbing guys into... archaeology soldiers.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You're not missing much. It's an alright YA series for the first few and then it gets dumber and I stopped reading it because it was bad.

Yeah, I think that if you weren't into it as a kid it definitely wouldn't have any value now.

Even when I was a kid I managed to notice obvious seams in the writing, the most obvious being how Rowling will suddenly come up with a new made up word and have every single character in the world start using it once its explained to Harry (for ex. "Death Eaters": Before Book 4 they simply called them "Voldemort's followers" but once that term is introduced no one ever calls them anything else ever again)

Not to mention how Harry himself is just not that great of a protagonist. It's kind of hilarious how Snape at one point claims "[Harry] has fought his way out of a number of tight corners by a simple combination of sheer luck and more talented friends. He is mediocre in the last degree." because he is 100% right.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 31, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
otoh Thumb People and Gammons.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
so what's the chance this is brexit's peak stupid and it'll be better from here on

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah, I think that if you weren't into it as a kid it definitely wouldn't have any value now.

Even when I was a kid I managed to notice obvious seams in the writing, the most obvious being how Rowling will suddenly come up with a new made up word and have every single character in the world start using it once its explained to Harry (for ex. "Death Eaters": Before Book 4 they simply called them "Voldemort's followers" but once that term is introduced no one ever calls them anything else ever again)

Not to mention how Harry himself is just not that great of a protagonist. It's kind of hilarious how Snape at one point claims "[Harry] has fought his way out of a number of tight corners by a simple combination of sheer luck and more talented friends. He is mediocre in the last degree." because he is 100% right.

Maybe being 37 when it came out didn't help :corsair: though friends my age did manage to get into it. One is a bit obsessed and doesn't get that I'm not.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

so what's the chance this is brexit's peak stupid and it'll be better from here on

We can hope. Is hope a lie?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Coohoolin posted:

lol i'm watching the awful tom cruise mummy movie, imagining the producers being like "yeah so archaeologists are cool, but you know what else is cool? SOLDIERS" so they made the two grave robbing guys into... archaeology soldiers.

The funniest poo poo I find with that Mummy movie is that Universal were planning to do a shared cinematic universe, à la Marvel using the Universal Horror Monsters (Dracula, Wolfman, Gillman, The Mummy, etc - I mean technically they did actually crossovers with each other in some of the later, really bad films) and managed to poo poo it up, not just once, but twice.

This is the official trailer they put out when announcing it. This is NOT a parody. That embarassing music and editing was approved of by the studio.

The planned order was: Dracula, The Mummy, The Invisble Man, and the Bride of Frankenstien, with the Wolf Man, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, the Phantom of the Opera, and The Hunchback of Notre-Dame planned after those four.

Anyway the first was to be Dracula Untold. It's boring and bland as gently caress, with the idea that vampire Charles Dance was going to assemble a Monster Squad, and that was going to be followed by the Mummy, and kickstart the "Dark Universe". Reaction was luke-warm to negative so they scrapped that, and decided to start afresh with the Mummy which was now the "first" in the Dark Universe shared cinematic universe.

And then that sucked so loving hard they've put that concept on hiatus, and are just focusing on individual remake films. Last I heard anyway.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Actually... no.. I've never read HP and believe me I tried very hard. Even tried listening to Steven Fry audio (20 years ago don't hate me), tried the films... nothing. I felt I was some kind of bad person for just not appreciating it until I came to UKMT :)

I was the target age group when it came out, and it's fine as simplistic YA fantasy fiction. The writing got worse as the books went on, but not like the worst thing ever. The problem is when people have tried to apply its weird sterile politics to real life, or when JK Rowling tries to claim that it's the wokest thing that ever woked.

Briefly, without going full "Beep boop what is this thing you humans call fiction" Methods of Rationality bollocks, the actual politics in the books is pretty hosed.
It's a highly segregated secret society based of either blood purity, or magical purity (and that's not just the villains - that's the actual fundemental of the society itself), with their own system of law, although apparently the non-magic government also knows about it. Or something.

There's also a literal slave race who are abused by the bad guys...and also the good guys, but it's fine when they do it because they honestly love being slaves and the good guys don't beat them.

Going by the films alone, it's apparently post-racial, but still has miscegenation in the form of non-magic people marrying magic people (at least in America). Also magic Hitler analog wants to enslave the non-magic people...to stop the A-bomb and the holocaust. (Speaking of utter trainwreck films).

tl;dr It's largely a victim of its own success - and can't live outside the first few books she wrote - another reason those Fantastic Beasts films are barely watchable outside of some pretty visuals.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Bitch it’s not even October.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

tl;dr It's largely a victim of its own success - and can't live outside the first few books she wrote - another reason those Fantastic Beasts films are barely watchable outside of some pretty visuals.

Fantastic Beasts would probably be trash either way but for the life of me, I don't understand why Rowling has to write the screenplay for these movies. Writing screenplays is completely different from writing novels and her lack of skill at the former is apparent. Can't she just pull a GRRM and hand some notes to an actual screenwriter? Hell, even freaking E. L. James only served as a producer on the Fifty Shades films (though she apparently had near-unprecedented creative control).

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 31, 2019

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We can hope. Is hope a lie?

come on now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could possibly argue that as Rowling got more used to fame and fortune she veered away from the quite collaborative plot resolutions of the first couple of books and more towards harry is just such a magic wonder child that he can solve problems by his innate wonderfulness.

Cos yes he does basically win by dumb luck, especially early on, which is how everyone actually wins IRL.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
oh god another one "Where's Harry Potter when you need him" - where's that Brexit Party membership form....

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Who is standing outside my house and screaming “forget 2017”???

Show yourself coward, I will never forget.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Wanting literal magic and/or a shadowy cabal to "fix" things into being 2012 forever is basically the pinnacle of centrist thought so the HP obsession makes sense

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1167890915702132736?s=21

:getin:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Tesseraction posted:

In JESUS CHRIST news, Jereme Soule, the composer to the Elder Scrolls and Guild Wars series, has been outed as a rapist and abuser https://twitter.com/alienmelon/status/1166106560809992192?s=19

and sparked by that revelation, Comrade Quinn has outed one of the Night in the Woods devs (Alec Holowka) as also one https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/1166212005629325313?s=19

The co-creator has responded to say he believes her and is loving livid at Alec https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1166249701953478656

So yeah, kinda mad at video games right now.
This definitely isn't an appropriate circumstance for a 'that escalated quickly' joke, but I'm not sure how else to react to this, jesus christ:
https://twitter.com/derangedpoetess/status/1167855630385909760

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You could possibly argue that as Rowling got more used to fame and fortune she veered away from the quite collaborative plot resolutions of the first couple of books and more towards harry is just such a magic wonder child that he can solve problems by his innate wonderfulness.

Cos yes he does basically win by dumb luck, especially early on, which is how everyone actually wins IRL.

I would say the only time in which he showed a minimum of proactiveness was when he was giving those underground DAtDA courses in Order of the Phoenix and even there he had to be pushed into doing it (though it does tie in with the "the best ones suited for power are those who never sought it" theme). Every other time he has no clue WTF he's doing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

AceOfFlames posted:

Fantastic Beasts would probably be trash either way but for the life of me, I don't understand why Rowling has to write the screenplay for these movies. Writing screenplays is completely different from writing novels and her lack of skill at the former is apparent. Can't she just pull a GRRM and hand some notes to an actual screenwriter?

Yeah, I mean the Harry Potter films were just that; actual screenwriters adapting the stories - Rowling apparently got final approval - but it still wasn't her writing them.

Ignoring the actual narrative structure of the Fantastic Beasts films (there isn't one), how the actual thing works from scene-to-scene makes much more sense in a novel, and yeah it's super apparent that she's just not good at writing in the screenplay format.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

oh god another one "Where's Harry Potter when you need him" - where's that Brexit Party membership form....

Don't you mean...Slytherin membership form. :smuggo:

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

where are these rumors of calling an election on thursday?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dominic Cummings is the prime minister now?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Johnson is Premier In Name Only Really.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
another political wiz kid lofted up as the true master of no 10?

just like andy coulson?

it's like people who think lynton crosby is a genius. no it's not hard to win an election when the opposition sucks and you can just say "MIGRANTS STEALING MONEY" to boomers over and over again.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Chuka Umana posted:

where are these rumors of calling an election on thursday?

You just read one. I’m assuming Mason has some sources, seems like a dumb tactic to pretend there’s a rumour about it. It is still just that as he says though, a rumour, but there has been a lot of posturing towards one recently.

OwlFancier posted:

Dominic Cummings is the prime minister now?

Paul Mason being a believer in great man theory isn’t all that shocking tbh.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Apraxin posted:

This definitely isn't an appropriate circumstance for a 'that escalated quickly' joke, but I'm not sure how else to react to this, jesus christ:

It's gonna escalate further because now zoe is gonna get a shitload of hate and harassment

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Guavanaut posted:

Johnson is Premier In Name Only Really.
Premier In Name Exclusively Surely :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quinn really does have the worst luck.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's gonna escalate further because now zoe is gonna get a shitload of hate and harassment

Yeah Christ, I regret reading the replies to that tweet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If these chodes really believe she can kill men with her mind or whatever the poo poo then surely that's a good reason not to harass her. Or do they think meme magic will protect them?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Welp they just deleted their twitter right as I was googling who they were. Probably a good move. Social media is scary poo poo.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 31, 2019

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Welp she just deleted her twitter right as I was googling who she was. Probably a good move. Social media is scary poo poo.

She's the initial victim of the g-gate word

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Apraxin posted:

God-drat. I'm sure he had other reasons for committing suicide but what a loving horrible thing to do to his victims. One final way to twist things back on them and permanently scar their lives.

EDIT
https://twitter.com/derangedpoetess/status/1167884648296222721
It's something, but I can't help but feel mad that it wasn't included in the original news. I get that he was her brother, but she openly admits he hurt people while still trying to whitewash him as still being a good person 'deep down'.

jabby fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 31, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I remember when that all kicked off. I was initially "well I guess this seems a bit iffy" and then it dove headfirst into the utter insanity and now tbh I'm inclined to basically take her side just cos everyone who hates her is a tremendous shithead lol.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Illuyankas posted:

She's the initial victim of the g-gate word
I believe their pronouns are they/them but yeah - gamer chuds hated Zoë for making Depression Quest because it's not a real game or some poo poo and so it was incredibly easy for a bitter ex of theirs to start an entire hate movement by making poo poo up about trading sex for positive reviews :smith:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

This is actually something I really like about the books. Harry is explicitly not really qualified enough for all this Chosen One bullshit. Hermione and a good 70% of the Weasley's are significantly better at wizarding than he is.

But Harry is brave. And committed. And he knows what is right. He knows where to apply the few talents he does have. And he'll share those talents with anybody who needs them. And he'll put himself in harms way for a complete stranger, no matter the odds.

That's a good lesson for kids I feel.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1167899080325922818
Amazing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe being 37 when it came out didn't help :corsair: though friends my age did manage to get into it. One is a bit obsessed and doesn't get that I'm not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMjrXRgu8IU&t=53s

The first book's like a Roald Dahl-esque fun story where a kid with a cruel family escapes and has an adventure, later they become Serious Important Books where JK Rowling reveals the wisdom contained within on a regular basis

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fruities have to pay out a certain percentage of takings, quiz machines (and other games of skill rather than chance) don't. As long as the questions were pitched at just the right level so people thought they were in with a chance, the margins are way, way higher, but as others have pointed out smartphones kinda kill that model.

I amazed my friends once by winning £10 or 15 on a Who wants to be a millionaire machine

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think I started reading Pratchett in the in between of books 4 and 5, so I didn't like how loving serious Harry was about everything whilst also not being able to talk about anything in a constructive way. So I gave up and read Discworld instead.

I went to see Drunk Hamlet tonight, it was very funny!

I've also just purchased (and gotten about halfway through) Radical Happiness. It's very interesting, though I think the overemphasis on "this is too medicalised" in chapter 2 alongside the constant Freud quoting does pull me out of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

So I gave up and read Discworld instead.

This is the correct way to read harry potter IMO.

Also kind of mirrors my experience too :v: