Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

He probably didn't want to say $161 because it doesn't flow as well.

And he also gets to troll nerdlingers like me who would complain about the rounding, so it's a win-win. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Samovar posted:

Uh, this. This isn't a joke? This is serious? This person thinks that writing this makes them seem sane and not a complete C-SPAM Mod?

Alan Duncan HATES Johnson and this is some exaggerated piss taking

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
When I studied it I always used "planetary body" in assignments because it bumped up my word count a bit and also because it's all just leftover bits of star of various sizes and behaviours anyway

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Moon:
Volume 2.1958×1010 km3
Mass 7.342×1022 kg
Mean density 3.344 g/cm3

Pluto:
Volume 7.057±0.004×109 km3 (0.325 of moon)
Mass 1.303±0.003×1022 kg (0.177 of moon)
Mean density 1.854±0.006 g/cm3 (0.554 of moon)

oh look we dropped somewhere between one sixth and half a moon beyond neptune, better call it a planet because an american found it
Yeah, one of the things about all the dwarf planets is that they are pretty tiny: there's seven moons in the solar system (Ordered by size: Ganymede, Titan, Callisto, Io, our Moon, Europa and Triton) that are bigger than them. Then again, Ganymede and Titan are bigger than Mercury... though Mercury is heavier than either of them.

The fundamental problem of course is that nature doesn't give a drat about our need to label and categorise everything. "Dwarf planet" is not a bad name though, and just because they're not full planets doesn't mean they're not interesting. Personally I quite like "world" as an inclusive term for any planet, dwarf planet or moon that's sufficiently interesting to talk about.

One thing that makes me sad is that they decided not to make Charon, Pluto's largest moon, a dwarf planet so they could be a twin dwarf planet system. That would have been cool.

As an aside, this is one of my favourite Wikipedia charts (though it has some formatting issues):

Scale is logarithmic.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 27, 2019

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Lootbox and planet chat happening at the same time as yelling at Alan Duncan Smith.

Sometimes I really :love: UKMT.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe if the sun wasn't so loving big then it wouldn't so hot right now. Stupid idea piling so much stuff together that the middle starts fusing anyway.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe if the sun wasn't so loving big then it wouldn't so hot right now. Stupid idea piling so much stuff together that the middle starts fusing anyway.

almost 100% of light pollution is caused by the sun u know

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Guavanaut posted:

https://what-if.xkcd.com/4/

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

Away from the Westminster spotlight, north Norfolk MP Sir Norman Lamb has told the Eastern Daily Press he will not stand at the next election to focus on improving mental health care in the country. The former health secretary told the newspaper that parliament had become paralysed by Brexit and he felt he could do more good outside Westminster.

TIL Norman Lamb is still an MP

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

almost 100% of light pollution is caused by the sun u know
The fundamental interactions were a mistake.

quote:

Throughout the planet, the mole bodies gradually break down into kerogen, a mush of organic matter which would—if the planet were hotter—eventually form oil.

quote:

Plumes of hot meat and bubbles of trapped gases like methane—along with the air from the lungs of the deceased moles—periodically rise through the mole crust and erupt volcanically from the surface, a geyser of death blasting mole bodies free of the planet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Paul.Power posted:

As an aside, this is one of my favourite Wikipedia charts (though it has some formatting issues):

Scale is logarithmic.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with a log scale as long as you're up front about it (and the Sun would make it hilariously hard to see any of the other lines in the graph otherwise). I doubt any of those lib dem graphs are a) log scales or b) up front about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Islington North: a Lib/Lab/Log marginal.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Accidentally walked in on my relatives watching Jeremy Vine, and could feel the braincells being leeched from the room - and it's not like I had many to start with.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

god i'd forgotten "it was formed 15 billion years ago, when an early god exploded or something."

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Tesseraction posted:

My favourite bullshit microtransaction is the $170 axe in Apex Legends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a9a4bLQeGk

Note that that's $170 minimum because it requires buying $160 worth of random loot boxes and getting each of the unique weapons each time and then spending the final $10 on the axe. In reality you're probably spending at least double that and getting the same loving weapon over and over again.

(One thing that confuses me is that he says the boxes are $7 a go and you end up spending $160 on them - that's... not a number divisible by 7.)

It's funny money where 100 coins is ~ $1. The lootboxes are 700 coins but the smallest amount you can buy is 1000.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Paul.Power posted:

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with a log scale as long as you're up front about it (and the Sun would make it hilariously hard to see any of the other lines in the graph otherwise). I doubt any of those lib dem graphs are a) log scales or b) up front about it.

I know it's because I'm a dummy with a humanities background, but I genuinely don't get the utility of logarithmic scales for graphs like this. Like, if the differences are too vast to make a clear visual comparison with singular straight lines then maybe singular straight lines aren't the best way of representing the difference?

[E: I realise that "clear" is doing a lot of work here that could also be replaced by "I'm not used to this and therefore it's poo poo"]

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
40years ago the brave boys of the hero rescued countless innocent children by blowing up the notorious pedophile Dickie Mountbatten

I mean they also blew up a couple of innocent children in the process, but let's look at the big picture here

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Guavanaut posted:

Lib/Lab/Log

A cursive wall decal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

I know it's because I'm a dummy with a humanities background, but I genuinely don't get the utility of logarithmic scales for graphs like this. Like, if the differences are too vast to make a clear visual comparison with singular straight lines then maybe singular straight lines aren't the best way of representing the difference?

[E: I realise that "clear" is doing a lot of work here that could also be replaced by "I'm not used to this and therefore it's poo poo"]
Depends what you're doing. You get log scale line graphs a lot in chemistry and microbiology, because what you care about is "there are 10,000,000 live bacteria in this concentration of antibiotic and 10,000 live bacteria in the other concentration" and it'd use an unreasonable amount of paper to show that linearly. Also a lot of things are logarithmic anyway, like pH, if you're showing a pH graph going from 0-14 or whatever pH range you're interested in, that's already a log scale.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Overminty posted:

It's funny money where 100 coins is ~ $1. The lootboxes are 700 coins but the smallest amount you can buy is 1000.

Ooooooh those stingy bastards.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Niric posted:

Yeah it's just a case of being used to it. Earth is about 10x bigger than Ceres. Jupiter is about 10x bigger than Earth. The Sun is about 10x bigger than Jupiter. It is harder to make small comparisons, like "how much bigger is Mars than Pluto?", but it's not intended to answer that question, or it would be a linear graph, with everything above Earth taken off because otherwise you still couldn't answer that question because they would be too close together.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In JESUS CHRIST news, Jereme Soule, the composer to the Elder Scrolls and Guild Wars series, has been outed as a rapist and abuser https://twitter.com/alienmelon/status/1166106560809992192?s=19

and sparked by that revelation, Comrade Quinn has outed one of the Night in the Woods devs (Alec Holowka) as also one https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/1166212005629325313?s=19

The co-creator has responded to say he believes her and is loving livid at Alec https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1166249701953478656

So yeah, kinda mad at video games right now.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I think you should redirect your anger to human beings and not the video games in this instance.

It’s always humans who ruin everything.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

And if that's somehow not convinced you, just look at this:

can't argue with orbits now, can you

So how long before Pluto and Neptune intersect and Pluto just becomes another moon?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Party Boat posted:

Alan Duncan HATES Johnson and this is some exaggerated piss taking

Thank gently caress for that

But less thank gently caress regarding that vidja game stuff. Fuckin' hell what's wrong with some folks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Don't be mad at video games, be mad at 'legends'. It's like whenever you get powerful people within a community.

You'd be permanently mad at all forms of media, sports, organized and unorganized religion, education, healthcare, youth groups, social services and governance if powerful people within those being nonces and other types of abusers painted the whole sector.

(Okay, it's reasonable to be mad at some of those things.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

I think you should redirect your anger to human beings and not the video games in this instance.

It's a meme about a KC Green frog but yes I am mad and disappointed at the monsters involved, regardless of whether they made content I enjoyed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ban video games imo

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

For someone who just plays games but doesnt follow the names? who are those people?

I know of Soule from playing the games hes done music for, I think I know who Zoe Quinn is, who is Alec?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

For someone who just plays games but doesnt follow the names? who are those people?

I know of Soule from playing the games hes done music for, I think I know who Zoe Quinn is, who is Alec?

Night in the Woods dev, although not the one most people think of, who I posted above responding to the allegations (Scott Bensen)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Seems a lot of these cases of rape and abuse within the entertainment sector are a combination of 'needing the job' and uncertain settled status, so I'm going to add another few marks in the "gently caress the idea of needing to work for a boss to live and gently caress the migration system" tally.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Demiurge4 posted:

So how long before Pluto and Neptune intersect and Pluto just becomes another moon?

Apparently very, very unlikely, short of outside interference. Something to do with orbital resonance and big maths that I don't really understand, that someone who actually knows stuff could explain better than I can.

Tesseraction posted:

Bloody hell. :(

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah Soule is a composer, Zoe Quinn is a developer and writer who was the primary target that the whole Gamergate thing coalesced around, and Alec Holowka is a designer/composer for Night in the Woods.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/mattlodder/status/1166294795117125634

Landlords are bastards and this should probably be spread as far and wide as possible so this oval office gets found.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

Landlords are bastards and this should probably be spread as far and wide as possible so this oval office gets found.

Anyone managed to doxx this guy?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/mattlodder/status/1166303838866956288

What a total oval office. Need to ruin people's lives to keep up those sweet sweet intergenerational advantages.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Anyone managed to doxx this guy?

Yeah his name is Matt Lodder.

Oh you mean the shithead landlord? No idea. On the plus side literally anyone facing an eviction notice for weed on the premises at the moment should be able to point to this reddit thread and say "I was set-up!"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Frogface posted:

If Boris Johnson is prepared to do the right thing for the independence of this country, then we would put country before party and do the right thing.

We would be prepared to work with him, perhaps in the form of a non-aggression pact at the general election.

The Conservative party has lost so much trust that the only way they could win a general election is with our support.

really feel Farage is due another traffic accident

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah his name is Matt Lodder.

Oh you mean the shithead landlord? No idea. On the plus side literally anyone facing an eviction notice for weed on the premises at the moment should be able to point to this reddit thread and say "I was set-up!"

Not sure if random Reddit posts carry a lot of weight in court or tenant arbitration tbh. It's a nice thought that it could be a false flag to provide plausible deniability to all the smokers out there tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Niric posted:

any representation of the solar system requires some of this because it doesn't operate on scales that humans easily comprehend. I agree the logarithmic scale doesn't make sense in that graph though, since you'd expect to be able to tell which thing is, like, twice as large as the next thing without reading the numbers on top. i guess whoever made the graph agrees because they put the numbers on top of their dumb graph