Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The Deleter posted:

Greggs is always slightly disappointing. Their jam doughnuts are very poor cos all the jam is leaking out of one quarter of the donut and the rest is just dough. If I knew where to get a half-decent jam doughnut in Nottingham I'd go elsewhere!

https://www.doughnottsofficial.com/

(they are very very not worth the money)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I don't Facebook myself, but apparently Adeptus Shitpostium and The Meme Ravens are the groups to hit to see people melting the gently caress down over this.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Just catching up on the whole chips debate, if people want to settle this once and for all the owners of our local Chinese chippy have gone to China for six weeks and I have their keys and burglar alarm code. Six weeks is long enough for a proper empirical study, right?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Aidan_702 posted:

Guys what are your tricks for when you are literally trying to keep your eyes open in an office job

Coffee then work wank to kill time until the caffiene kicks in. Treat yourself by popping into the disabled or "luxury" toilet.

Nice to have my area of expertise come up in the thread for once.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Good to see my neighbourhood getting the priorities right when it comes to a local noise nuisance.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

crispix posted:

So presumably blasting Chaz and Dave and The Wurzels all night long is fine? :banjo:

Yep also all traditional folk music, Welsh close harmony singing, and bagpipe music. All fine.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Glad to see a few Regular Features regulars in this thread; Jon "Log" Blyth is my oldest and most tenuous Internet aquaintance and I'd post a picture of him sucking scotch egg crumbs off my fingers if I could find it.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Nice cadderppliers - painted ladies? And whhhyyyy?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

A woman on the tube berated me for giving a fiver to a beggar and then hopped off the train at Farringdon to “make a report” to the one loving copper working the underground today. I thought you Londoners stayed out of other people’s business?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Pochoclo posted:

Highly doubtful she's a Londoner - the local language is composed of looking down at your phone, passive-aggressive tutting, and a barely audible mumbled "sorry".

That’s what I thought! She was wearing green converse, had a tribal tattoo on her arm, and some ungodly red colouring in her hair - all signs of some kind of foreigner in my opinion.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Ratjaculation posted:

My Wales area fact is that its about the same size as all the worlds golf courses. Golf cunts. Burn humanity.

The worst thing about having a child is that my wife and I can no longer scream “gently caress YOU, YOU GOLF BASTARDS! YOU GOLF PLAYING WANKERS!” as we drive past a golf course.

Can someone please tell me what to believe on the it is now too late/not too late to stop hard boris brexit front? I’m really tired and can’t form a coherent opinion so I’ll just do what the hive mind says thanks.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I’m driving down to Exeter today because a charity called the Exeter Leukaemia Fund selfishly has its hq in Exeter rather than, for example, Nottingham and gently caress me it’s a long way. I’ve been driving for two hours and I’m only halfway there. I managed to listen to radio 4 for nearly twenty minutes before realising I’d prefer a podcast about d&d, or a talking book about the Second World War, or just silence. My dad still listens to radio 4 every day and I’m definitely seeing where the brain worms sneak in.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

If anyone lost 40 Marlboro gold in a Welcome Break on the m5 today, I’ve got them. What does twenty fags cost these days? Are they more at a service station?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Guavanaut posted:

gently caress me I'm glad I quit.

Yeah me too, Christ. Someone will have been hosed off when they got back on the road, there was solid traffic and a forty minute delay a couple of miles further on.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The woman in my office who calls her son a little poof, or gayboy, or human being (to his face) today was letting everyone know that gay men are more likely to be pedos aren’t they, she’s not being horrible, it’s just a thing, everyone knows it. Last time I called someone out I got told off and when I said “I’m not listening to that poo poo” got told it’s not my place to correct people, we have a complaints process. Soooo.... made the formal complaint, and then got up and left. My “not going to listen to that poo poo” was never formally addressed so I’m treating it as my current position on the matter. I’m cross, but I’m also home by three and drinking a beer in the garden. Not sure how I feel about all this, or how it’ll play out next week.

Cam, sorry to hear about your friend. Hope she joins us here.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Wait wait wait have we checked what’s this woman’s crisp opinions are before we invite her to our sacred space

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I am going to a funeral today, and am currently in BIG TROUBLE for suggesting a 22 year old man should have more organisation for his own grandfather’s funeral than knocking on my door three hours in advance and asking if I’ve got a black jacket he can borrow (I don’t). The youth of today, honestly. Some people. This country.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of people don't deal well with death.

No it’s 100% that he’s a lazy useless prick who is totally unprepared for his mum having more poo poo going on this weekend than having to dress her adult son.

Also I was just filming my dog investigating a giant pickled gherkin that has mysteriously appeared outside my house overnight and happened to catch a tesco delivery driver messing with her satnav as she pulled away from the kerb. I was already composing the complaint letter in my head when I realised I was about to take a swing at tesco and achieve nothing but getting some lass fired. Keep an eye on yourselves folks, you might accidentally be a massive self-righteous oval office without realising.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, that sounds like a dick move man, sorry. Just help the guy find a jacket.

Yeah sorry, put on edge by him complaining that “his loving mum didn’t even sort his clothes out” and that my wife and I offered to take him with us two weekends in a row to get sorted out for today. Don’t turn down offers of help for almost a fortnight then start making out like its your mum’s fault you’re not ready. Add in that he didn’t bother to visit his grandad for the last three years of his life and I’m standing by “he’s a prick”.

STILL TOOK HIM INTO TOWN TO BUY HIM A JACKET DIDN’T I

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Despite the last minute scramble for clothing my brother in law behaved himself and hugged his mum and only rolled his eyes a little bit when he discovered that there’s a thing after the funeral that he’s got to go to.

On related matters, does anyone know how to do a keepsake box or something? My family don’t go in for this at all but my wife does and she was super close to her grandad. I’ve got the order or service, a copy of the eulogy, a photo of my wife and her grandad together, and the gift tag from the last Christmas gift he sent her before he succumbed to dementia. If anyone with an artistic turn of mind can suggest what I might do with these things or point me towards a company that does this stuff as a service that would be amazing.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Diet Crack posted:

You can find some decent suits and jackets in op shops. I’ve picked up loads of good stuff for £5 and you’re supporting a good cause. You also tend to get proper wool suits rather than the polyester poo poo which is awful.

I think every fella should own at least one suit for formal events.

Well he’s got a nice one now that I totally don’t mind getting for him, I was just pissed off that he passed over two opportunities then tried to make out like it was his mums fault he wasn’t ready this morning. I was fully on board with needing to hand out ties and help do them up - who wears a tie these days - just expected they could sort themselves out with, for example, trousers.

Anyway his plate at the wake was seventeen sausage rolls plus a bowl of monster munch so I’ve warmed up to him a lot.

thespaceinvader posted:

Ideally, make the things not just be things about the funeral.

That’s a really good point, thank you.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 12, 2019

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Does anyone know if sodium valproate production/supply is likely to be effected by brexit, or how you’d find out? Asking for a friend who needs it to avoid violent and debilitating seizures.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Let's drive up homelessness to unprecedented levels while closing all forms of public convenience! Surely this will have no negative impacts!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Eschenique posted:

It can probably be solved by hiring more police officers

Think they want less human poo poo on the street though

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

write UP THE RA in the No box really small

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Threads chat: I picked up a book at London Film & Comic Con last month called "Protect & Survive: 9 Monologues". Its a spiritual successor to Threads (ish). Day Zero minus is set in Brighton, the day Threads is aired on television. The following 8 monologues are different periods after that, after a nuclear strike (which just happens to land the day after Threads airs :v: ) hits the UK. The monologues are from different people giving accounts of how they came to their current point and what their outlook is, a bit like a nuclear winter version of World War Z (The book not the film). Worth checking out.

I just grabbed this, looks great. Thanks.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Looking for some help arguing with an ultra-centrist libdem here - does anyone have an up-to-date counter to "so why are Labour bombing in the polls if JC has played it so well over the past week"? I don't think I've seen any polls for about a fortnight.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I think we might be not friends quite soon.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

How utterly surprising

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Rarity posted:

Don't let them dictate the terms of debate, keep arguing

I did!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

OwlFancier posted:

I'd say that we definitely don't debate ITT, we argue/discuss stuff but we absolutely don't debate.

Yeah and that's how minds get changed. There's a few opinions I've held that on reflection were very bad and wrong; people in this thread saying "hmm, these seem to be the opinions of a oval office, you might want to look at them again" is a good thing. I don't actually believe these centrist types believe in the importance of decorum - it's an easy out when you're losing the argument (which they normally are).

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Didn't see if this got answered - I think it's probably a Short-tailed Ichneumon Wasp.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

jammyozzy posted:

Hi all, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with a work hours issue my mum is having?

She is contracted for, and has been paid, 20 hours a week with her company for the last few months. However several weeks have gone by where she hasn't been given 20 hours worth of work, and all of a sudden her line manager is insisting she 'owes' like 80+ hours back.

This is clearly horseshit, but I'm not in any way a contract expert and cannot prove why it's horseshit. Where is her best place to go for advice? I was going to suggest she take a copy of her contract to Citizens Advice and sought guidance there, is that a good idea or is there something better she can do?

I can probably help with this if you want to PM me a copy of the contract. Look for a clause along the lines of "failure to deliver to one aspect/term/clause of this contract does render other aspects invalid" or something like that. She's contracted to do 20 hours a week and didn't (which I would strongly argue is on employer rather than employee), but that is irrelevant when considering future weeks where she is also contracted to do 20 hours a week.

Edit: sorry, misunderstood - thought he was saying she needed to pay the time back. I'd need to see the contract and see how the terms around remuneration are worded.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Ratjaculation posted:

Travelodge only gives you 30m of free internet tho

Masturbation intensifies

Someone tried to sell me these for our office on the premise of “but you can get three of these in your existing meeting room!” Yes mate as long as you don’t mind walking through the first two to get to the third, you could.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Pretty sure I saw Alastair Campbell the other day, unfortunately was not able to drive my car fast enough at him to be able to confirm via DNA evidence.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The minis that come with the dark souls boardgame look pretty cool and I want them, but the game is £90 and apparently garbage to play.

A guy at work loves Dark Souls and raves about it, got the board game and all the extras to go with it, and after two attempts to play (one at work, one at home) he put all the models in a shelf to look at and put the game bits in the attic and tried to forget about it. Not a good game.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Due to a mistake by an evil mega corp I am £18 over my (very tight!) budget for the month. Can I treat some thread poster to pizza or a few beers or something? Please shout up if you think you deserve a treat - first come first served - and remember where you are, to each according to his needs etc. Evil tory lurkers need not apply.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Treat yourself. Seriously, everyone's allowed a little treat every once in a while.

Treats are in the budget my dude. My wife is very good at this (and I am very bad, hence budget).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

If you’re not eating pork pies with mustard I don’t know what’s wrong with you.

Does anywhere else in the world do anything quite like a scotch egg?