Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ratjaculation posted:

The only poll I trust is your dads

What, a poll of all of our dads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My wife likes to eat crumble cold.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Can't even shake the magic money tree right

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

As an unrelated aside, power went out which sucks because I'd not saved my game. Booooo electricity.

Which game

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

big scary monsters posted:

Ah good, I'm sure more surveillance and more panic about violent media will work this time around. No further examination of motivation or introspection on societal problems required.

Weird how the same videogames are in the UK but we don't get mass shootings, i wonder what the difference is

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

CGI Stardust posted:

Lmao if you think the leaks are coming from anyone other than Cummings himself

The leaks are Cummings from inside the house

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Junior G-man posted:

Cummings has such a bizarre head.

Do you think it's the source of the leaks?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Junior G-man posted:

What the gently caress are Two Child Policy and Military Covenant?

Tory two child policy: two is old enough

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

radmonger posted:

Can we compromise and store all the nuclear waste in golf course bunkers?

Maybe it would even become worth watching on tv if a missed drive ended up in a radiation hazard, leading r\to having to play the next shot within 60 seconds before their skin melts off?

Post/username combo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Can't wait for the first airline to render passengers down into a slurry for optimum packing density and then reassemble them at the other end for a non-included fee.

Upgrade to our Not From Concentrate option for just £6

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
(((Esq.)))

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Ratjaculation posted:

English oak.

Say goodbye to the labour vote in Scotland, Wales and northern Ireland then

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

:eyepop:

Can't believe stop-and-search has a retroactive effect, let's do it more and get those past numbers even lower!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ronya posted:

it's McDonnell, he's a favourite vehicle to trot out test balloons, wait 24h to see if it turns out to be another misspeaking

I'd say he's more likely to mao them out

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
That neck :stare:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

How does he account for crime being much lower than during the heyday of public corporal punishment in the 18th and 19th centuries?

THEY'RE LAZY INNIT, AND BENEFITS

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pistol_Pete posted:

The creator of 8chan has had a real hard life: He was born with some rare genetic condition that left him stunted, wheelchair-bound and forever breaking bones. He's spent most of his life filled with rage and self-loathing, with the online world his only source of escape. You might not think it from that interview but he's actually mellowed considerably compared to what he used to be like.

Wasn't he also a hero of the incel community until he got sum fuk and was then immediately run out of it?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

You do remember Brexit voters think immigration is ruining all those things and Brexit would stop that, right?

Bloody foreigners coming over here and using our inside toilets

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
more pics of the kittens

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

Certain people will be at the wall after Brexit, but they won't have time to eat.

Joke's on you I'm going to nibble the end of my cigarette

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Post-Brexit food source coming along nicely for some, i see.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Coohoolin posted:

The family of one of my students keeps stick insects as pets. They're really cool but they breed like crazy and pretty drat big so you gotta watch out not to squash a loving living stick chilling out in the doorway or something

What they just wander the house?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Sloth Life posted:

I had to drop a dictionary on a hawk moth once. It was loving huge and in my flat so death was the only possible outcome.

I do NOT like moths.

Mods change this goon's username to Moth Life

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jose posted:

only multiple breakdowns eh? clearly able to work most of the time: capable of work

https://twitter.com/ToxicTikToks/status/1159487161655332864?s=20

Thanks to you I saw this and now you all have to see it too

https://twitter.com/ToxicTikToks/status/1148023454685380608

That whole twitter feed is horrible

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

RDevz posted:

Ah, the joy of the electricity system going wrong.

It looks like there was a sudden drop in the National Grid system frequency just before 17:00, which coincided with RWE's 660MW Little Barford combined-cycle gas station going unexpectedly and suddenly offline. Drops in frequency are caused by demand exceeding supply, and the usual control mechanisms of part-loaded power stations weren't enough to absorb the drop. I don't think that the entire drop in frequency was caused just by Little Barford, but from a sheer engineering point of view, the large amount of wind and solar generation we've got running during summer daytimes doesn't help, as these don't contribute inertia to the electricity grid that gives time for it to react to changes to load.

The frequency dropped to about 48.8 Hz, which is well outside of the usual 49.5 Hz to 50.5 Hz range. Once you get down below that level, automatic low frequency demand disconnection happens. This is to stop the frequency falling further, as power stations start to trip at about 48 Hz, which leads to a cascade failure of the grid and a total blackout. This is widely regarded as a bad thing.

The disconnections are random and widespread, depending on the exact settings of the relays in the Grid Supply Points, so there's no rhyme or reason to which areas of the country are disconnected - ideally, you want an even distribution across the country to stop surges. It looks like the system's recovering right now - when I left work, National Grid had turned on an extra 3 GW of generation to give them headroom to play with while they reconnect the load that was shed.

No doubt, we're going to see an long and intensive investigation from National Grid that's going to be wonderfully misinterpreted by the media. That said, the grid is designed to do exactly what happened today when there's a major mismatch between supply and demand.

I always know that whenever Something Happens, the UKMT has a relevant expert on standby to give a detailed report that far surpasses anything on the news

The only surprised here is that you weren't pipped to the post by resident expert-in-everything goddamnedtwisto

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Diet Crack posted:

Accuweather is alright too, but Earth is king.

https://earth.nullschool.net/

Woefully unreliable. :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

xtothez posted:

3.7 roentgen

Not great, not terrible

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
There were tornados in amsterdam and in luxembourg yesterday, totally normal weather everything is fine fine i said

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jippa posted:

my landline

lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My camping essentials:

- comfortable bed
- internet connection
- television
- heating
- flush toilet
- shower
- walls
- roof

I think I've just invented something, can I get a billion dollars in venture capital please?

Didn't know you could tow a caravan with a motorbike

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

thespaceinvader posted:

Sadly it's my 5th wedding anniversary next week so you can expect poo poo weather. Sorry bout that.

Ah, the Wood anniversary :grin:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Barry Foster posted:

I'm trying to figure out the consequences and so far my reaction is either 'lol' or 'oh poo poo'

Thought I was in the CSPAM climate change thread for a moment there

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

baka kaba posted:

I guess :tif: wasn't available (that would be a good coin though)

THIS IS FINE SILVER 1 OZ

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

CGI Stardust posted:

On the subject of peace and friendship, I found out something really cool the other day. You know the 1977 Voyager probes? On board, each has a Golden Record, with a bunch of music, songs, speech etc. The first track is a greeting from Earth, you know the stuff, we come in peace and friendship and so on; it was spoken by a dude called Kurt Waldheim, the then-secretary-general of the UN.

It was discovered in the 1980s that Waldheim had lied about his military service during World War 2 - he'd actually been part of the bureaucracy managing "population shipments" in Eastern Europe, had been awarded a medal by the fascist Croatian government during the Second World War for services in "resettling" parts of the Serbian population, and almost certainly knew about the Jasenovac camp. America then put him on a no-entry list as federal statute prohibited anyone who participated in Nazi war crimes from entering the country.

So, in millions of years, when the sun expands and burns all trace of our species from this blighted planet, our last testament and legacy will be an unprosecuted Nazi war criminal saying "We step out of our solar system into the universe seeking only peace and friendship". Sweet dreams!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Ngqhe3y-Y

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Dick Brainespiders

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jose posted:

my legs are pretty stiff from doing squats yesterday someone motivate me to go do some cardio at the gym instead of getting pissed

Sounds like a nice refreshing pint is just what you might be looking for though? Just one. Just to wet the whistle

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcky5mhZcYs&t=95s

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

a lovely king posted:

Can anyone help with some landlord specific questions? My landlord just served us a 60 day notice to quit the property, but we only have around 10 days left on the tenancy agreement before it was up for renewal (which he is not doing).

Should we be signing a new agreement for the period beyond the end of the tenancy? As it seems to me once the tenancy agreement is ended then we're not tied to the house legally. I don't want to accidentally end up a squatter or anything.

My cursory googling suggests you might have a fixed term agreement in which case you'd be rolling over to a periodic tenancy in 10 days time, in which case you're covered: https://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/advice_from_us/renewing-a-tenancy-agreement/

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Good news!!!

https://www.channel4.com/news/government-profits-double-in-four-years-as-immigration-laws-tighten-and-visa-fees-rise &%23160;

quote:

Government profits double in four years as immigration laws tighten and visa fees rise

Year after year, to pay to live in the UK, whatever the status, has gone up and up. Immigration costs are indiscriminate. It's like a game of snakes and ladders: a failed application for technical reasons sends the individual back to the beginning to start all over again, and to pay all over again.

The figures show that profits from immigration fees in 2014 totalled £260m. Last year those profits doubled, to £500m.

Take Child Citizenship for example. In 2014 the fee was £669, the cost of processing just £144. By the end of last year the fee was £1012, while the actual cost to the Home Office was only £372. Last year's profits were £24m.

In some areas of immigration, the costs to the applicant have soared, while the Home Office costs have actually fallen.

Take Indefinite Leave to Remain. In 2014 the fee was £1093, while processing costs were £248. Four years on, that fee had more than double to £2389, while Home Office costs had actually dropped, to £243.

Sorry i meant bad news

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Eh, it just means the same thing, for all intensive purposes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
What is the crack ping joke? Do i want to know?