Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Why do these knobs even bother with all this loving whining? Are you going to challenge Corbyn, then? poo poo or get off the pot you bloody cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

I learned today that he might be a pedo

In a really nasty way, I hope he was and it comes out that Tony Blair knew all about it and did nothing. I'd love to see Blair sweating on tv, trying to weasel his way out of that one.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Here's a depressing (and plausible) analysis of the 30% of voters that Johnson is trying to rally for no-deal:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2019/08/england-s-rentier-alliance-driving-support-no-deal-brexit

quote:

I think we can therefore look at the new conservative coalition as an alliance of rentiers. No deal supporters are not classic rentiers, in the form of monopolists or exploiters of unproductive capital. However, they are at a point in life where they have paid off their mortgages, and are living off the assets held by pension funds. They are worth something, independently of what they do. This is the generation that enthusiastically backed Margaret Thatcher in their early working life, witnessed Blairism and the booming of metropolitan multiculturalism with growing unease, and perhaps felt a rising resentment towards the international elite that was making the serious money in London, while convincing themselves (with the help of the Express, the Daily Mail and the Telegraph) that London is now a foreign city (a fiction that Johnson cynically endorsed in his leadership campaign).

Pistol_Pete fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 1, 2019

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Julio Cruz posted:

luckily there is an easy remedy for this

Young people have given up on tv news altogether and i thoroughly hope this trend continues.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

AceOfFlames posted:

I hope it does not because it seems I am the only person in my social circle who knows how hosed the world is and I have no one to commiserate with.

They still take news in! They just don't feel the need to get it by switching the tv on and seeing some upper-middle class guy in a suit telling them: "HERE'S what happened in the world today and THIS is what you're supposed to think about it."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Qwertycoatl posted:

Given up on TVs in general I think. Half my friends don't have a TV and the other half only do so they can hook up a games console and/or netflix

Yeah, broadcast tv is in its final generation. I don't know anyone under the age of 50 who actually watches the broadcast channels as they happen. Most people now use Youtube/ Netflix/ any number of other streaming services.

The BBC has never acknowledged this officially but you can see from their broadcast schedules that they're well aware that their average viewer is well north of 65 these days. The license fee is going to go the way of the dog license within the next 10 years.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

AceOfFlames posted:

Also how else is news supposed to be conveyed? Have a bunch of random guys on the internet screaming at you and you pick the one who aligns with your feelings about the world?

Yes, absolutely :colbert:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Do I get to say I called it given the doom and gloom about the thousand year boris reich last week?

A lot of my work colleagues are pretty Tory-leaning and THEY'VE all been: "wtf, why is this loving clown our PM now?!?"

The Boris Bounce is happening entirely in the heads of newspaper editors.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

StarkingBarfish posted:

A guardian/observer column that isn't concentrated dogshit? How did the editor let that happen?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/03/jeremy-corbyn-brexit-remain-boris-johnson-election-victory

And the comments all getting huffy at the author while completely failing to counter his points.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I wasn't going to drink tonight but there's a music festival on in a park 5 minutes walk from my new place in Bristol and oh, well.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

Oh poo poo which festival?

Redfest!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The creator of 8chan has had a real hard life: He was born with some rare genetic condition that left him stunted, wheelchair-bound and forever breaking bones. He's spent most of his life filled with rage and self-loathing, with the online world his only source of escape. You might not think it from that interview but he's actually mellowed considerably compared to what he used to be like.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

WhatEvil posted:

My wife's sister and her fella have just moved into a £1.2m house in West Suffolk and we just had a video call with them. She was telling us about how every house around has a "Say no to the solar farm!" sign on it.

The English countryside is overwhelmingly populated by better-off pensioners who've retired to small villages to count their money, get away from 'ethnic' types and vehemently oppose any new developments that might impact on the character of their location (reduce their house prices). Opposing a solar farm just 'cos is entirely typical of their mindset.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah this nails it. This is why the 'remoaners' have the narrative of "people who voted for Brexit are idiots, if we re-rerun the referendum they'll vote the right way", without any actual useful insight into any of the underlying social issues which made people want to vote for what was essentially the "gently caress all this poo poo" option.

Here's a long (and unduely sympathetic) article about the FBPE'rs:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/brexit-remain-radicalisation-fbpe-peoples-vote

quote:

Remainists tend to put their faith not in politicians, but in bureaucrats and civil servants. But they make an exception for those MPs, such as Dominic Grieve or Yvette Cooper (even though she doesn’t back a second referendum), who are willing to rebel against the party leadership or reach out to the opposite benches. Remainists wish these kinds of “grownups” – seemingly responsible, competent people, capable of putting the national interest above ambition and petty rivalries – could clean up the mess. This is a vision, however fanciful, of politics without politicking. Once the grownups come to the rescue, it suggests, the rest of us can retreat, safe in the knowledge that everything is under control.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

1950's guys always look soooo uncomfortable in those comics. "After a hard day's work, just going to chill out at home in my business suit and formal shoes. Why yes, my shirt IS buttoned right up to the neck and my tie fitting snugly against my throat - really helps with this pipe I'm smoking!"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
A motorbike has the advantage that you can generally cruise smugly through lanes of congested traffic.

The disadvantage is that your average life expectancy decreases by about forty years.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I did some research once into the comparative risks of using different kinds of transport, from walking to cycling to driving to taking different forms of public transport and the one thing I took away from it was: holy poo poo, NEVER ride a motorbike.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ratjaculation posted:

I came off my bike when a bus was taking over a bus on a blind corner. This was in Vietnam though.... About 200m past a smashed up bus that 5 people had died in. Nobody is safe.

You were lucky lol. Dozens of English tourists die in bike accidents in SE Asia every year. There's something about the culture there that encourages normally reasonably sensible people to knock back a few beers, hire a rattling deathtrap and zoom off helmetless into the insane city traffic in their protective shorts, t-shirt and flip flops.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"Having a chilled out time in Koh Samui with road rash, a shattered pelvis and no medical insurance :cheers:"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Diet Crack posted:

Going back to Trades: Does the UK have any sort of program in 6th form or equivalent, that utilises apprenticeship programs for the transition into a full technical college/engineering degree or masters?

Nope!

University is pretty straightforward: you do your A-levels (or possibly some fancy equivalent), then go through UCAS to pick a number of possible university choices. Simple!

FURTHER education by contrast is an utterly incoherent mess of literally thousands of courses, schemes and apprenticeships, ranging from the excellent (rare) to the dire (common) and with very little help for baffled teenagers to pick their way through it all.

At base, further education is seen as an inferior option for other people's children and there's no noisy middle class lobby agitating to simplify and improve it. There are individual schemes that deliver what you mentioned but good luck getting on them unless you're exceptionally driven and sharp-elbowed.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've just started eating tofu and it's really good; I feel a bit bad now about all the animals who've died for my dinners when I could just have had tofu instead.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, it's a hard decision where they have to come down on one side or the other and they're desperately squirming around trying to find a scenario where they don't have to make the choice.

After all the poo poo they've thrown at Corbyn and Labour, it's rather satisfying to watch them sweat.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
See the replies to this Observer piece for some choice examples of this way of thinking:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/18/national-government-jeremy-corbyn-brexit

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Diet Crack posted:

Just got back from Berlin which is an awesome city and so laid back.

Now I feel depressed coming back to this dire shithole. I don't usually get the holiday blues, but man, just coming back into this environment and hearing people talking about mortgages and Brexit on the Piccadilly just made me want to go back to Heathrow.

Hey, Berlin has its own problems: gentrification and soaring rents have been causing a lot of social tensions (although, unlike in London, something is actually getting done about that). Cool city though, where did you stay? I was over by Kruezberg in the East.

Private Speech posted:

So today's Boris is great news is a meeting with Macron, where he presumably will show him what he thinks of "the european project", to use the same term as the BBC.

My feeling is that Johnson and Macron will very much fail to get on.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Barry Foster posted:

I really enjoy day drinking but does anyone else get where you feel like absolute poo poo a couple of hours after a couple of pints? Like the hangover kicks in and you spend the rest of the day feeling muzzy and headachey

Is this called getting old?

It's sometimes known as a "4 pint" hangover.

For example, you go to the pub on a Saturday lunchtime to watch a match. While you're there, you drink 4 pints. You return home slightly tipsy, drink nothing further and by 5pm you're slumped on the sofa feeling drowsy, headachey and irritable.

(I avoid these by never stopping drinking, once I've started.)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

The last time I did day drinking I got home around 6-7 and shortly after went to bed because I couldn't handle it anymore.

Woke up nice and early the next day feeling refreshed.

You're lucky: if I ever do that I'll be wide awake by the small hours and feeling like poo poo.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

I'd definitely recommend a dessicant based one rather than a compressor based one. Compressor ones seem to work better for swampy warm air, whereas I've dried out my front room (Victorian terrace, chimneys weren't vented properly before I moved in, mold smell in cupboards) and whole house with one of these (don't pay that for it though, you can get one for £170 or less if you shop around).

It's got an air sterilizer in too, and a laundry mode that dries clothes on an indoor line quickly.

As the new owner of a dampish victorian living room with an improperly bricked-up chimney, I'd be very interested in hearing any additional thoughts you have on making the damp bits go away.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Junior G-man posted:

Can someone tell me wtf UnHerd is by the way? It looks like some kind of Spectator lite.

It's a kind of retirement home for the former centrist-ish columnists from the Telegraph who all lost their jobs when the paper took its alt-right turn.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

HJB posted:

In smaller towns and villages it used to be one per 100 or less, until millennials something something and all the pubs closed.

Bristol in the 2nd half of the 19th century had nearly 1000 places licensed to sell alcohol lol

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Comrade Fakename posted:

I you watch some of the earliest film footage from the very beginning of the 20th century, you can see that most if not all working class women would be wearing headscarves outdoors. It’s very odd.

Throughout the 19th and well into the 20th centuries, it was basically mandatory to wear some kind of head covering whenever you left the house. It wasn't illegal not to wear a hat (in the same way that it's not illegal today to walk down the street smartly dressed but with no shoes or socks on) but if you didn't you'd get a lot of double-takes, comments from strangers: "think you've forgotten something, mate!" and people might even think you were a bit wrong in the head. In fiction of the period, if a character, shocked by a piece of news, "rushes hatless into the street" it's intended to indicate that they're so overwhelmed that they've forgotten the usual social niceties.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Has anyone had any communications from the Labour party yet? I kinda feel like I should be doing something but I'm not sure what.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Amusingly, "sign this petition"

Oh yeah, just checked now and saw that. I was hoping for a little more tbh.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In terms of street violence, what the UK does lack are any significant numbers of people organised into groups with some level of discipline and prepared to put themselves on the front line. The 2011 riots were widespread but disorganised and mainly damaged their own areas, for example.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lobster God posted:

Anyone going to/at the Sheffield anti-boris protest?

I'm on my way to the Bristol one!

255 is the average number of brilliant posts that I make each week.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Big turnout for the Bristol demo too! We shut the city centre down for an hour lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I'm stocking up on rice, pasta, lentils, dried beans, tinned tomatoes etc. Won't be an interesting diet but it'll keep me alive if Brexit apocalypse happens.

There were about 5000 people at the demo but the Bristol Post reported it as "hundreds" :mad: