Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/AndrewBartletta/status/1156504807386935296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Mebh posted:

So goons, if I come back to the UK after 6 years of not paying my student loan and just start paying it again... Will anyone care or notice?

yes

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Guavanaut posted:

Neoliberalism plus nationalism is more like Bushism than fascism. It's about bringing people together as a nation by creating a series of Others while selling off the state apparatus, not cementing the supremacy of the state.

Look up the origin of the word "privatisation"

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Guavanaut posted:

That doesn't mean that neoliberalism, with its focus on economic globalism, is a fascist project.

The nazis were big on extracting wealth from weaker nations too.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Guavanaut posted:

Not very big on using the values of Enlightenment Liberalism as a justification. Nor on enriching a transnational elite, they wrote pamphlets about that.

Don't mistake differences in propaganda for differences in policy.

The only thing that's really changed is what is considered "The Nation". We have seen a new nation form since the second world war, one that transcends state lines. This nation is sometimes called "The West", other times "The First World" or "The Global North". This is the nation that is the focus of both neoliberalism and modern fascist movements

Trump, farage and others are unquestionably fascists. How do they differ from neoliberals? Rhetoric and rhetoric alone

Gum fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 1, 2019

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

feedmegin posted:

I um really don't think that's true. Otherwise you'd have the Kippers welcoming Polish people over here with open arms, instead of, y'know, that other thing they actually do.

Ask a Kipper if Polish people are "Western" and then ask the same question about a group of immigrants that Kippers do not take issue with, such as Americans or Australians

E: This touches on what is possibly the biggest disagreement within neoliberal and fascist circles: Does The West extend beyond the Anglosphere?

Gum fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 1, 2019

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Guavanaut posted:

A nation that transcends state lines is the opposite of fascism. Which doesn't make it good, but it makes it not fascism. And a nation that adheres to neither the blood and soil definitions of nationality nor the language creed and culture definitions isn't really the same as any definition of nation under fascism.

It is a matter of (perceived) creed and culture and pseudoscientific attempts to establish common blood (White is the Aryan of The West). See my edit regarding language, that actually does tend to split modern fascists- see how some identify with Orban and LePen while others have no interest in these 'foreigners'

quote:

Also fascism is mostly defined by its rhetoric and aesthetic, so it doesn't make much sense to say "other than the rhetoric it's fascism" any more than when the right says "other than the economics it's Marxism".

Fascism, as in the movement that gained power in early 20th century, is defined by its rhetoric and aesthetic because if you strip that away you are just left with authoritarian capitalism. We are making the same point.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Guavanaut posted:

That split dates back to the BUF. "Fascists of different nations should unite, while of course remaining in their own nations" vs. "gently caress those other nations, they're foreign and can do what they like, let's focus on us being strong at home" was dividing fascists since before the Enabling Act. It's an inherent contradiction of fascism.

What's happening today is more than just "working with foreign movements". The alt-right is not a British movement working alongside an American movement working alongside a Canadian movement, ect. It is a single movement that sees itself as one people

quote:

That rhetoric and aesthetic is hugely important in the type of society produced compared to other forms of authoritarian capitalism or liberal capitalism.

"Masculinity is strength, we hate trans and gays, women need to procreate, men need to serve the state, everything fits into concrete classes and anything that doesn't appear to is a Talmudic abstraction invented by our enemies" is an aesthetic that is going to create a very different type of state to "look we're all equal and if certain types of people always end up getting shat on then it's probably because they didn't work hard enough" even if both are going to be varying degrees of poo poo for certain groups.

When it comes down to it, what actually is the difference between saying "This group is superior to that group" and creating a society where "this group" is at the top and "that group" is at the bottom and then saying "The people at the top are superior to those at the bottom"? That said, you do have a point. The more explicit rhetoric of fascism results in society reaching the end state of rigid social and ethnic hierarchies a lot quicker than the more implicit rhetoric of neoliberalism

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Pistol_Pete posted:

In a really nasty way, I hope he was and it comes out that Tony Blair knew all about it and did nothing. I'd love to see Blair sweating on tv, trying to weasel his way out of that one.

blair is also connected to epstein

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

OwlFancier posted:

I'm fairly terrible at the history of this dumb island but has there historically been any point before the last 20 years or so when the people living on Ireland and the people living on GB were not actively trying to kill each other?

cheddar man did nothing wrong

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
Please don't wank at work

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Tsaedje posted:

Seems a bit harsh on non penis having men tbqh

Much harder to hook it out

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
https://twitter.com/detachment_red/status/1157481783266553856?s=19

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Gavrilo Princip posted:

Good crowd chant of "Burn Boris Burn" going on at Leeds pride and I just heard one of the three homophobic protesters present say "I've had enough" and leave, a decision I attribute to the extremely loud float full of drag queens going by so good job Leeds

Leeds did good

https://twitter.com/Iivilicious/status/1158015669297958912?s=19

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
This "government of national unity" bullshit is just an attempt to get a centrist government through backroom political deals since tig/cuk showed that there was no chance of one winning an election

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
Saj proving that theresa isn't the only tory capable of completely draining the energy from the room

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Jose posted:

The trot to nonce pipeline is real

Is that the code the secret service use for a meeting between trump and pence?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Julio Cruz posted:

and all your other arguments apply just as well to "someone slipped him a way to off himself" than "a super-assassin infiltrated the prison and put an undetectable poison into his bedtime hot cocoa before magically disappearing into the night"

It doesn't take a super-assassin to off someone in prison, the mob does it all the time

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
The idea that a hit on epstein is absurd is based on the idea that a group of billionaire sex traffickers either lack the resources or the ruthlessness of your typical criminal gang

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Guavanaut posted:

If they've got that much in the way of resources then they could just make sure that the evidence is accidentally filed in that one evidence room that doesn't lock properly and floods all the time and is actually a running shredder, then pack Epstein off to another white collar resort prison for a couple years.

That is what happened when he was arrested last time, yes. As for why it wasn't happening this time? I don't know, there are too many potential explanations to nail one down. Maybe it was the public outcry over the first case? Maybe it was the fact that this one was all over social media? Maybe they just figured that he himself had become so high profile as to be a liability?

Regardless it's clear that the sweetheart deal he had been offered in florida was not happening again, leaving one of two options: hope the amoral paedophile doesn't offer to testify for a reduced sentence, or make sure he never gets the opportunity

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Niric posted:

I don't want the thread to have two tedious back and forths about maybe murders (and I know next to bugger all about the details of either case so I'm in no position to do that even if I did), but this kind of verbal slippage to certainty is legit fascinating to me. Just to be really, really clear, a sniffer dog indicating something is not the same thing as discovering traces of whatever they're trained to find. Which I get is cumbersome to mention and so on (and most people here probably realise it anyway), but that rhetorical staking out of certainty where none exists is problematic.

I dunno, I just thought it echoed some of the things people have been posting about epstein, where certainty about events seems to come pretty easily. Maybe it's just super pedantic, but there's a difference between highlighting all the poo poo that could be dodgy and questioning official narrative, and saying he was murdered and you're an idiot if you don't believe that. One is much more interesting (and useful) than the other I think

but its important to remember that this only applies to people saying he was definitely murdered, all the people and media outlets saying it was definitely suicide are just being Sensible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Kassad posted:

So it's confirmed that the Eggman hates Johnson's guts, then.

Nah it just means that boris is seeing other ministers