Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm going to be line managing some people soon as part of my changing role.
Does anyone have any recommendations of a book I can read to support my ability to not be complete oval office in the process of doing this?

It's a clinical role within the NHS, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Who the gently caress has milk in their tea?
Bougie cunts in this thread...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Milk is the proletarian choice, actually. Do you put lemon in yours like a toff, comrade?

I stuff the tea leaves into my mouth and chew slooooowly

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

StarkingBarfish posted:

A guardian/observer column that isn't concentrated dogshit? How did the editor let that happen?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/03/jeremy-corbyn-brexit-remain-boris-johnson-election-victory

He's the Deputy Opinion Editor, so maybe his boss is on holiday?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

true story: years ago, I was on a date in London and developed a stitch that got progressively worse to the point where I had to go to the hospital with my date. After being shown into one of the cubicles a nurse comes in with a gown in one hand and a piss cup in the other. I look at the nurse, look at my date, look at the nurse again and take the robe and piss cup and immediately want the earth to swallow me up

If you'd said she was your sister, they'd probably just have gone through the cardiac arrest questions

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Good luck to em I say, take all the tankers, destroy capitalism, if Iran just seized and scuttled all the tankers after draining the oil out of them they'd be the best environmentalists in the world.

Drain the oil and sell it to Turkmenistan, so they can keep the Door to Hell burning for a few years more

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I had to pop out this morning and had Radio 4 on in the car. Will Self was bloviating on in his Point of View about the fact that as a 'society' we've essentially decided that culture has a market value, and that if it has no market value, it isn't culture.

He tied this to neoliberal policies and had a few digs at poor people (because it's Will Self), but I thought it was mildly interesting for 8:50 on a Sunday morning.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Helith posted:

You're watching Aussie coverage? Optus ads?

Either that or the Channel 9 feed using a VPN

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

Oh my God they're at it again. From tonight's FT, which means it's pretty reliable:

So a government of national unity that bypasses the PM and Jeremy Corbyn in order to send a note to Brussels to ask for another extention for another election.

These people's brains have been totally fried.

In what way is a government of national unity different to the Lib Dems backing the Tories in exchange for ___________, which Swinson has already basically said she'd be in favour of?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Shoves PhD in STEM subject behind back of sofa....

Whereas I have what is basically a vocational BSc in a very 'people person' field, yet I'm still a misanthrope.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

It's all standard singing techniques, like glissando and voice breaking, but she's doing it literally everywhere she can, which, again, is what tweens trying to sound grown up do. They're best used sparingly to emphasise crescendos and dynamic inflections.

Or singing poo poo country music.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I was unfortunate enough to be sat on a train in front of two prime shitheads this afternoon who insisted on talking for the duration of the journey.
They were racist, sexist, financially illiterate and lacking entirely in self-awareness.

They started by talking about immigrants and one of them had a spiel about illegal Romanian immigrants and their apparently massively lucrative begging rings that mean even the lower-ranked members earn more than he does. (Oh, and the UK's full, apparently. And it's the fault of immigrants that there are no homes for anyone).
This got the other one talking about illegal immigrants as well, and with no apparent trace of irony he moved from whining about them coming over and then not integrating into society, to complaining about his wife who was previously here illegally ("that's why I had to do all that paperwork"), who has now decided to call her child (his step-son) by an anglicised version of his name.

These people are allowed to vote :shepicide:

And sort your coving and decking out as well, apparently

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Kassad posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1161563464504156160

Deciding university admissions based on students' actual exam results, what a crazy idea! :monocle:

I wasn't aware "predicted grades" were a thing in the UK before reading this. Jesus Christ.

20 (!!) years ago, I was predicted a C for one of my A-Levels, which was actually very generous, considering how badly I'd hosed my end-of-Year-12 exams.
It was in line with what my teachers would have expected me to get, mind you.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Kassad posted:

I don't know why I'm even surprised the UK would do something in a blatantly stupid way that just so happens to gently caress over the poor and ethnic minorities

It's not designed that way, it's just that middle-class parents are more likely to harass teachers who predict Tristan will only get a B.
It's only when it goes hand-in-hand with unconditional offers that the class bias really shows through

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If Corbyn can stop no-Deal Brexit from happening, it utterly fucks the Lib Dems. That's why they won't back him.

While Swinson has probably been hoping that she can negotiate some pathetic scraps with the Tories - visas for travel to the EU will only be £100 pp - and sell it as a rip-roaring success (like their bag tax vs benefit cuts triumph).

The extent of Lib Dem ambition is to be the junior partner in another coalition with the Tories.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Harriet Harman, Ken Clarke, and Oliver Letwin are... not... political?!?!

Oliver Letwin has written at least one Tory election manifesto, right?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Yeah that’s p much right on the money. They’re making themselves seem a bigger deal than they really are.

The Lib Dems are using the fact that the media hate Labour to try to seem like an integral part of the political machine.
When they're actually more of a vestigial tail.

Their ideal scenario is that a vote for a caretaker government led by Corbyn fails, because Labour MPs hate Corbyn, while a vote for a caretaker government led by someone Swinson supports fails by an order of magnitude more because there's no consensus among Westminster parties and isn't that just so sad?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Even the ridiculously rigged (in our favour) Square Leg had 50% of the population dead in a week and all power, port and water infrastructure gone. You don't need nuclear winter at that point because anyone not living within walking distance of a source of food and potable water (that will have drastically reduced - and radioactive - productivity) is dead within a month. There's no "back to normal" from that - at best we have to start again from the Agricultural Revolution, at worst we're at the early Iron Age.

Yeah, but it'll be worth it to reclaim our sovereignty from the EU, innit

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Well, if you think about it, having a Corbyn-led caretaker government for a few months while we get an extension and GE going is far worse than crashing out without a deal, with terrible planning, and all under a completely berserk Tory government.

:libdemsay:

On the plus side, with Johnson planning straight-up evil things like changing the State Pension age to 75 and the Lib Dems using basically all of their media coverage to tell people that they won't back the most realistic chance of stopping a No Deal Brexit, it's good news for Labour's vote share at the next GE.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's a piece on BBC News about how Brexit will impact on farming, and jfc these farmers are living proof that we should just allow 100% re-wilding outside London.
A thicker bunch of cunts you'd be hard-pressed to find. Voted for Brexit, whine that they'll be left out of pocket and then demand that the government reimburses them for their future losses.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Greenland has had some form of ballistic missile radar for near six decades, I don't think the US would need to buy it to expand that. The natural resources getting his name permanently attached to a US state is definitely what Trump wants.

Just rename it "gently caress Off Donald Trump"

It'll be a reminder for the ages rest of human history

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

My feeling is that Johnson and Macron will very much fail to get on.

Two berks, each utterly convinced of his own splendour, talking at cross-purposes while neither is prepared to give any ground to the other.

Nah, I'm sure it'll be fine

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I remember when I was younger (either 16 or 18, because it was while I was out of school 'studying' for GCSEs or A-Levels) either BBC2 or Channel 4 showed a different version of Hamlet each day for a week.
I'm reasonably sure I watched the Olivier one, and then the Mel Gibson one but they definitely showed others, too.

(The Mel Gibson one at least gets unintended bonus points for now being dissed in a lovely Gruff Rhys song.)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

quote:

Who the hell even is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson? His appearance in the show is a mere cameo played for three episodes, all of which are set in the early 20th century. His role is limited to making the news out of nothing more than a handshake, but it's definitely not in any way an attempt to get attention. He's not even a real person. It's just a bunch of "real" people having fun. Just a few actors making out with each other while the rest of the cast keeps their composure. As if all of that weren't enough, you have to think the casting director is looking for something much more important from the show this season.

What is the world coming to?

:tinfoil:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Enfield North have had a 'Special' meeting recently, although I think that's because the regional NEC are worried the CLP's been taken over by Turkish residents.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

When London is ashes, then you have my permission to Brexit

When London is ashes, the rest of the country will probably be bitching that how come loving London got all the ashes

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Petitions and protests are meaningless when you've got megalomaniacs in charge.
The only way you get their attention is by doing things that affect them or their political/financial backers personally.

Riots, basically, in nice parts of the country. Johnson won't give the slightest poo poo if Tottenham burns to the ground again, but move West a little and start burning Muswell Hill, and suddenly a lot of journalists start asking the government awkward questions like "How are you going to stop this with the smallest police force and army in modern history?"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Johnson has spent his entire life wanting to be Prime Minister, so I doubt he'd throw the job away for the chance to make some money, particularly when he's perfectly capable of earning a shitload more by exploiting his inbred posh friends.

He'll totally go full-dictator if it's the only way to cling on to power, though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Verizian posted:

He literally said "I see number ten as a stepping stone to the white house" back when he was doing his big US tour after he was Mayor of London. Also recent investigations have found he never renounced his US citizenship.

I can't imagine many Republicans voting for an Englisher, can you?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

That Reading poster has made me pretty nostalgic :allears:

I know, right?
Where's my Gorky's Zygotic Mynci/Delgados/Super Furry Animals reunion album?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

Dubrovnik is great for this

half the tour groups: “the Jesuits founded this church in 1534”
the other half: “and this is where King Tommen married Queen Marjery”

A tour guide in Valparaiso was surprised to see that one of the rarely-open German churches was, in fact, open.
It was Easter Sunday; but I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.